Sig P6 - Slide Lock Back Failure

PDA

Kjay
July 13, 2009, 07:42 PM
I recently tried out a Sig P6 received in a trade. No problems except that the slide would not lock back after the last round with any reliability. Thinking it was the old mags I tried a brand new one with the same result. I don't have this problem with my Sig P225 or P220. Any opinions? Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig P6 - Slide Lock Back Failure" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Maelstrom
July 13, 2009, 07:56 PM
The P6 has a notoriously heavy recoil spring. It's possible that either the slide is kicking back just enough to strip a round but not enough to lock back, or you're experiencing slide runover where the slide cycles faster than the magazine spring can move the follower into place.

AK103K
July 13, 2009, 08:20 PM
What type of grip do you shoot with? Thumbs down, or thumbs forward?

This is a fairly common problem with SIG's, especially if your not normally a SIG shooter, and especially if your a 1911 shooter. The slide stop gets hit by your thumb and goes forward on an empty mag. It takes an almost imperceptible touch to do it too. Nothing like what you'd think.

I have two P6's, and for some reason, they seemed to be slightly more sensitive than my other SIG's. My P250 is more sensitive in the other direction, and will lock back on a loaded mag if your thumb is to close.

If your shooting the gun with your left thumb over and holding your right thumb down, and its still doing it, then something else is probably going on. If your shooting thumbs forward, move your right thumb out on top of your left thumbs knucle, and it should go away.

Kruzr
July 13, 2009, 09:03 PM
It is a very common problem when shooters try a Sig 239 or 225. Your strong hand thumb just wants to wander up and it holds the slide stop down as mentioned above.

raskolnikov_22
July 13, 2009, 10:22 PM
It's possible that either the slide is kicking back just enough to strip a round but not enough to lock back,

I experienced that with my BHP after I installed a new factory strength recoil spring from Wolff. I noticed it was longer than the old spring and took a lot of effort to fit into the slide. At the range the slide wouldn't lock back for the first 100 rounds, but I guess the spring wore in because after that it ran like clockwork.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig P6 - Slide Lock Back Failure" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!