Council Bluffs, Iowa and Omaha, Nebraska: Make yourselves heard!

PDA

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 13, 2009, 11:33 PM
Give me a "Hey There!"

Wanting to see how many active members of THR reside in my area.

If you enjoyed reading about "Council Bluffs, Iowa and Omaha, Nebraska: Make yourselves heard!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
alemonkey
July 22, 2009, 10:39 PM
Lincoln here....

purplehaze
July 23, 2009, 10:31 PM
neb city

altitude_19
July 24, 2009, 12:03 AM
Bellevue present!

a better view
July 24, 2009, 12:26 AM
Omaha....hey look...I have a post!

Omaha-BeenGlockin
July 24, 2009, 12:18 PM
Ding

Mikee Loxxer
July 24, 2009, 12:31 PM
Another Lincolnite.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 26, 2009, 06:12 PM
Alright sounds good! Maybe go out to a range and meet up sometime!? Who knows? But glad to see there are members in my area!

R.E.Schoening
August 18, 2009, 01:16 AM
CB here.

r8rfan121
August 26, 2009, 10:55 PM
omaha here again

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
August 27, 2009, 10:20 AM
So far so good.

gravelyctry
August 27, 2009, 04:02 PM
Holy Cross present and accounted for.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
August 28, 2009, 06:37 PM
Good to hear. Any one know of any Iron sight matches taking place this year anytime soon?

powderific
October 21, 2009, 12:52 AM
Can anyone recommend some good ranges around here? I've lived here the past few years and am just know trying to get back into shooting. I know about the Bullet Hole, but I'd like to find something outside.

AJD
October 21, 2009, 01:59 AM
Funny you mention that powderific, I was thinking the same thing. Moved to Omaha last year and have only been to the bullet hole but I'd prefer an outdoor range especially for rifles since its no FMJ rifle ammo at the Bullet Hole.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
October 21, 2009, 10:00 AM
I never actually went to the Bullet hole. I just go a couple miles north between the UP railroad tracks and the bluffs. I'll have to get in touch with my gunsmith. Him and a bunch of other fellows are lobbying for a 600 to 1000 yard rifle range for somewhere in the area. I'll find out and let you all know.

powderific
October 22, 2009, 01:27 AM
LJ-MosinFreak-Buck, are you shooting on a friends land, or are there some public areas up there? A well appointed range is always a plus, but I'd be happy some open space and a good backdrop. Most of the stuff I've found is really far away (I'm spoiled from living 5 minutes away from a free public range till I moved here.)

I'm planning on hitting the bullet hole for the first time soon. How'd you like it, AJD? It looks pretty nice.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
October 22, 2009, 08:57 PM
I'm shooting on Union Pacific's land. It's private, but I've never had any problems shooting there. I've been going there for years. The local law enforcement don't really seem to have a problem with it because They've never came and told me and my friends that we couldn't be there. The downside is the area's only about 50 yards long, just enough for plinking, nothing to really test your limits with range. For range shooting, I usually call up a buddy who lives in McClelland and we use is farm. That's good for some 600 yards of shooting range.

BullitHolz
October 23, 2009, 03:27 PM
Omaha here as well. Unfortunately unless you want to join the Eastern Ne Gun Club down between Liuousville and Plattsmouth there is not much else available. I've been down there once with a friend that's a member and it's a pretty decent place but, like most "clubs", it has it's little posse of old timers that seem to want to play polotics rather than shoot and enjoy themselves. At least that was my impression when I wnet down there. The annual fee is pretty steep as well IMO but if you want an outdoor place to shoot it definately fills the bill.

http://www.engc.us/

Mike Sr.
October 23, 2009, 07:12 PM
Omaha...

powderific
October 23, 2009, 08:31 PM
Well, I stopped by the bullet hole today. It's a nice little range. The extra noise indoors really gets to me, even with plugs under muffs. Even so, it'll probably wind up as my range of choice since it's relatively close.

It's too bad the ENGC is so expensive/far away/political. It looks pretty swell. Has anybody gone to a wildlife management area to shoot? Some of them are supposed to be open for target shooting, but I'm having some difficulty figuring out where they are.

oldcrowraven
October 23, 2009, 09:10 PM
Omaha here. Yet another member disappointed with the lack of places to shoot outdoors. ENGC or Bullet Hole.....too bad for us.

alemonkey
October 23, 2009, 11:47 PM
If any of you are willing to drive to Lincoln, the Izaak Walton league is a great facility. 100 and 300 yard rifle ranges, 7/25/50 pistol & muzzleloader, and also trap. Plenty of friendly members, I've made some good friends in the two years I've been there. If anyone wants to go try it out members can bring a guest for $10 a day. Let me know and we can set up a time to meet and go shooting.

Brianhone
October 26, 2009, 12:04 PM
Sioux City here

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
October 26, 2009, 01:34 PM
Alemonkey, I'd love to take you up on that offer, I'd even pay for my ten dollars, if only I had a job. I get laid off and haven't found anything since. That and my transmission in my old chevy went out (only vehicle) so yeah, times are a little rough. I'm half tempted to sell a rifle for cash, but... that's against my morals.

Brianhone, I have relatives in Souix City. Know any Wilmes'?

husker
October 30, 2009, 01:12 AM
Omaha. & yes we need a place to shoot. i have been to rifle sight inns at the ENGC several
times. always very very windy. nice place for $120 a year + a 1 time buy in fee of $120.

Crusader 4B
October 30, 2009, 04:50 PM
Lincoln

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
February 16, 2012, 10:04 PM
Anybody use the DNR sight down in good ol' Pee-Jay (Pacific Junction)? It's got some long ranges to shoot on, quite worth the 20 mile, southbound drive from Council Bluffs.

centurion94
February 17, 2012, 03:59 PM
One more from CB.

There's a private range, a large one, down around Louisville somewhere. I understand membership is reasonable. LJ, i'd sure like to know more about that Mills Co. DNR range... I just finished doing an installation of a ladder sight on my Buffalo Classic which I've not yet tried out. And then there's the unfired Mosin carbine, and that Enfield I haven't shot yet....

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
February 17, 2012, 05:21 PM
Well what would you like to know? Lol

It's pretty large. Free to shoot on, and through range estimation I'd say maybe 600 yards one way, probably 800 or so the other.

Jim NE
February 18, 2012, 12:01 AM
Live in Lincoln, grew up in Omaha.

HEY, LJ-MosinFreak-Buck, ever been to the old abandoned loess hills quarry up north of CB, but south of Crescent, along I-29 to shoot? I'm talkin' 35 years ago. The Iowa state patrol started chasing people off about 25 years ago. Some folks were starting to build houses up around there and didn't want a lot of shooting going on. Before then, it was pretty isolated.

People came from all around the area, IA and NE, to shoot into the dirt cliffs or sight in their rifles for deer season. Not at all regulated, but I dont ever remember hearing of anyone getting hurt. In the earlier days, everyone was quite friendly, too. Had to walk across the railroad tracks to get to it.

I think of that place often, because it probably typified a lot of places around America where you could shoot without paying fees, or joining a club or being watched closely by someone.

Heck, some friends of mine used to climb along the structure underneath the south Omaha bridge and shoot at bottles floating in the Missouri River. Back then the cops just chased them off. Now they'd get arrested (after the swat team was called out.) Those days are long gone, but not forgotten.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
February 18, 2012, 04:28 AM
Been there to shoot myself, only quit shooting there a couple years ago because I found the land down in Pee-Jay to shoot on. I'm only 22 years old. Wish I had more land to shoot on that wasn't regulated in some way or another.

WaterH
February 18, 2012, 10:10 AM
Omaha

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
February 19, 2012, 02:21 AM
One of these days we should all get together for a shoot. Don't see what it'd hurt, and it could be quite fun.

Chimper
February 20, 2012, 02:56 PM
Near Lexington. If anyone is interested our group will be offering private memberships to a range consisting of a pistol, carbine and machine gun, shotgun and long range rifle. Long range includes steel targets to 2000 yards! Final details are being finished and awaiting NRA insurance to be in force. Email me for details.

todd128
February 20, 2012, 03:37 PM
omaha here

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
February 20, 2012, 07:04 PM
Glad to see as much people as there are this close.

Husker1911
February 20, 2012, 07:56 PM
La Vista.

mac tm
February 21, 2012, 10:29 AM
If you are headed to Iowa, Manning has a range. No fee, two covered shooting benches out to 300 yards.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
February 21, 2012, 09:09 PM
Last I checked, Manning isn't too far from Council Bluffs, is it?

WaterH
February 21, 2012, 09:32 PM
Manning is about an hour and a half from C.B

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
February 21, 2012, 10:27 PM
Yeah the. It isn't terrible. Bout the same distance away as Sioux City is.

loganb
March 4, 2012, 07:14 PM
New guy here, lurked awhile before finally joining, extreme SW Iowa here outside of Shenandoah. Live out in the country and cheat with my own range in the backyard :)

45bthompson
March 5, 2012, 05:51 AM
Wow! this thread came back from three years ago! Bad thing is the subject hasn't improved much. I'm thinking about trying to find a place with a good backdrop in the wma area between omaha and Ft Calhoun.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
March 5, 2012, 10:02 AM
Well, I know I sound like a dreamer, but if I hit the lotto, I'd build one heck of a range on rural land. Nice, long ranges, sturdy benches, 3 Gun courses, IDPA, IPSC, all the goodies, lol.

Too bad the likelihood of that isn't there.

45bthompson
March 5, 2012, 04:21 PM
If you hit the lotto I'd love a complimentary membership.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
March 5, 2012, 06:02 PM
If I hit the lotto membership fees would be that you bring friends and have a good time. I don't think anyone should have to pay to shoot.

Husker1911
March 5, 2012, 06:45 PM
Several years ago, there was a proposed Nebraska state public shooting range to be built at the new Wanahoo area, near Wahoo. I don't know what became of the proposal, but believe it's fallen by the wayside. Probably due to the failed economy.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
March 5, 2012, 06:50 PM
Probably. Like I said a while ago in this post, there was supposed to be one here close to CB, grant it, it'd be rural. The LGS, George at Der Jagerhof in Council Bluffs, off of Glen Ave, said he and a bunch of other people were pushin for a public range with around 600 usable yards for range, IIRC. Haven't heard any more about it, I'll have to see if anything changed or if they're still planning to do it.

Chimper
March 20, 2012, 02:42 PM
A couple hours west we are starting a new range. Early website up www.1kplus.com .

bigdogpete
March 21, 2012, 12:43 AM
Five miles south of Blair.

Husker1911
March 21, 2012, 02:11 AM
Great luck, Chimper, but Lexington is more than a couple hours west. Still, wish your new facility the very best.

I grew up twenty miles west of Columbus.

If you enjoyed reading about "Council Bluffs, Iowa and Omaha, Nebraska: Make yourselves heard!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!