Need help with this one!

PDA

Cap n Ball
July 14, 2009, 09:00 AM
Here is one that I sure wish could talk! I need to know what model this is and how to take down to clean. Almost everything I own and shoot is black powder except for a 1917 lugar. It is stamped as a Remington product and has little anchors stamped on it in several places. As to background and provenance...I found it in my grand uncles WW1 footlocker along with a bunch of other artifacts. During the war he was an MP and occassional cook, (when Harry wanted chili) in Harry Trumans Battery D of the 35th Division. After the war he ran speak easys and bootlegged with the patronage of Tom Pendergast in Kansas City. I found it still in his shoulder holster with a full clip of 380APC. He always had a tavern going someplace up until the 50s. When I was a kid he would babysit me and take me with him on his 'rounds'. Leaving me on the lap of some stripper while he conducted business. Great guy and always lots of fun.I don't know where he got it but I suspect it was discharged with him. I will say that it has a certain 'vibe' when I hold it. I need to know how to take this thing down and clean it. I don't intend to shoot it but maybe once. Thanks for any help!

If you enjoyed reading about "Need help with this one!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sam1911
July 14, 2009, 10:00 AM
Looks like a Remignton 51 to me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_51

Schematic here:
http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=0860z51

The article says none were ever adopted by any military branch. (Though the Navy Board did recommend it for adoption, scaled up to .45ACP as the Rem. model 53.) He probably bought it at the local hardware store or someplace similar.

Cool gun. Many folks, including General Patton if legend is true, seem to have liked them.

-Sam

Cap n Ball
July 14, 2009, 10:21 AM
Thanks Sam. That surely is it. With over 65,000 manufactured and the serial # of PA15530 it looks to be a relatively eary one. It has 'Pederson patent pending' stamped on the top of the slide. Now to find out how to take it down. I may have to go to my gunsmith and get his advice.

Sam1911
July 14, 2009, 10:48 AM
I think the phrase the Wiki site used was "takedown is cumbersome but not difficult." :rolleyes:

It does say that the grips are held on by spring-loaded pins. So you might try pressing on whatever pins are visible there and see if they will move.

It says no screws were used in the construction at all, which is a pretty cool thing.

Should be a good shooter. In the condition visible from your pics, I'd go ahead and enjoy it. Not like the .380 is going to blow it apart! :-)

-Sam

Sam1911
July 14, 2009, 10:49 AM
Hey, what do you know? An info and disassembly page!
http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/Rem51/rem51.html

Looks pretty simple...

-Sam

Cap n Ball
July 14, 2009, 11:02 AM
Thanks a bunch Sam! To futher date it it has 9 slide serrations, no caliber marked on barrel, no Remington logo. So it has to be of the 1918/21 series. I'll take it down and give it a good bath and check for cracks then go to the range and hear it bark. Not so much gun related but I'll post a few pics of an unusual sampler kit he carried. It is a short (2 inch) shell looking like a sawed off mortar round. Inside are four small metal shot glasses for sampling goods. His flask has two spouts for two different types of drink. Theres a whole bunch of this sort of stuff in that footlocker. I haven't gone through but about half of it so far. Now, if I can only get my cousin Rodney Longabaugh to show me his great grand uncle Harrys (Sundance) stuff!

Dr.Rob
July 14, 2009, 05:14 PM
Great old Remington, we have several users here that own them. That looks like a shootable piece, let us know how it works!

Jubjub
July 15, 2009, 07:24 PM
I have a PDF file of the owner's manual. Let's see if I can get it to post.

Cap n Ball
July 16, 2009, 09:05 AM
Thank you!

Jim K
July 17, 2009, 09:44 PM
Be VERY careful with those grips! Do not attempt to pry them off or you will break them. To remove the grips, tap the grip safety pin (bottom rear of the frame) flush with the frame, and slide the grip on that side down and lift it out. Then do the same on the other side.

I strongly recommend NOT disassembling beyond the field stripping instructions commonly available. The gun is a Pedersen design, which is another way of saying it is complex as hell. The two piece breechblock supposedly has great advantages. In fact it was used for the simple reason that Browning had patented the idea of a breechblock integral with a slide and Pedersen had to work around that patent (as did others, including Searle with the Savage pistols).

As to those grips, Browning also patented the idea of attaching grips to an auto pistol using screws, which is why the Remington doesn't use screws.

Jim

Cap n Ball
July 20, 2009, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the advice Jim. I don't intend to remove the grips or to take it down beyond field stripping. It kind of reminds me of a PPK in the way it operates and the fine machining.

Jim K
July 20, 2009, 08:47 PM
They are beautifully made guns and seem to work OK but mine is near 100% so I have fired it very little. I am afraid something will break and parts are in short supply.

The anchors are Remington inspector's marks; there is no connection to the US Navy or any other military organization, and the gun was never issued to any military or police force.

Jim

Cap n Ball
July 21, 2009, 12:19 PM
Thanks again Jim. I wondered about those anchor stamps. My grand uncle was such a rounder. He could have picked it up anywhere. When I was a kid somehow he always had a new or nearly new Packard sedan along with a new girlfriend.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need help with this one!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!