One Helluva Moose

PDA

TheIrishJedi
July 14, 2009, 01:32 PM
Check out this beast:

http://xc1.xanga.com/183f854a63d39249195859/b197688469.jpg

That is a standard sized gravel road. About 1 and 1/2 car lengths wide. This is taken in Maine right on the Canadian border. Damn! Where's my gun???

Source (http://flatpick46.xanga.com/707195392/a-rather-big-one/)

I have only ever seen one moose in my entire life. And that was nothing but a brief moment as I was driving. It is hard for me to believe that thing is real.

If you enjoyed reading about "One Helluva Moose" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jhco
July 14, 2009, 01:43 PM
I call fake, if it was real then it would be 12 foot tall.

freakshow10mm
July 14, 2009, 01:44 PM
Definitely looks p'shopped.

7X57chilmau
July 14, 2009, 01:45 PM
That's a biggun, alright, for the east coast at least.... Though the road is a single-laner. You can see the dominate tire tracks. It's about 8-9' from road shoulder-road shoulder, as I judge it.

I end up panic-braking at least 2x per year, as one or more of these monsters loom out of the evening fog.... Hit one, and you'll be looking at death by decapitation as their body removes everything from shoulder height up from your car.... Seen some ugly after-maths...

J

H&Hhunter
July 14, 2009, 02:10 PM
whether it's photo shopped or not I can't tell. But the road appears top be a single track fire cut. And if it is I'd say that's about right for big Yukon moose bull. I am not buying that it's an east coast bull.

Grizfire
July 14, 2009, 09:56 PM
When ever I see a moose, I am shocked by their size. Many times I'm looking up just to see their butt.

So yeah, there's a very good chance that is real.

jim in Anchorage
July 14, 2009, 11:27 PM
If you look closely Bigfoot is in the photo. Also several dinosaurs. And the Aliens from area 51.

MCgunner
July 14, 2009, 11:39 PM
Crap. I'd have to buy another freezer......or three.

Breakfast for Paul Bunyan. :D

black_powder_Rob
July 14, 2009, 11:45 PM
Okay there is only one way to settle if it is real or not.....

Call Monster Quest!!!!

H&Hhunter
July 15, 2009, 12:02 AM
If you look closely Bigfoot is in the photo. Also several dinosaurs. And the Aliens from area 51.

I see the bigfoot. Is that a high plains bigfoot or a mountain species?;)

caribou
July 15, 2009, 12:19 AM
Looks right to me.

Looks puffed up from rut, checking out a Honda 4wheeler trail..........

rondog
July 15, 2009, 03:17 AM
I Googled giant moose.....

Nevertoomanyguns
July 15, 2009, 08:30 AM
Oh ya that's "BIG JIM" I saw him last season when I was Moose hunting out behind the house. I ended up passing on him because he just wasn't up to my standards!:neener: I like them 12' at the shoulders.

I actually have a picture of him when he was younger and he was chasing a beautiful young cow trying to get his first tail!

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/1452/1001811d.jpg

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/331/1001807z.jpg

She was playing hard to get.

jim in Anchorage
July 15, 2009, 10:21 PM
I can't even be sure thats a legal bull in most of Alaska.

MCgunner
July 15, 2009, 11:29 PM
Looks puffed up from rut

I've heard of horny before, but man, I wasn't THAT horny when I was 24 watching Farrah Fawcett on Charlie's Angels! Must be one moose BABE hidin' in them woods!

armoredman
July 16, 2009, 12:14 AM
That's gianormous. Wow. If it's real, you could feed a village...

rondog
July 16, 2009, 12:34 AM
I'm not a hunter, but I have nothing against it, just ain't my thing. I look at that moose and I couldn't even imagine...

Gutting it and rasslin' the carcass around.

Getting it out of the woods.

How much would it cost to have it butchered/processed.

Where the hell would I store that much meat? I could give some to everybody I've ever met in my life, and still have more than I'd ever eat.

How much would it cost to get the head done at a taxidermist?

Getting the mount into the house, and the resultant major house renovations to get it in and to beef up the wall to support the weight.

The inevitable divorce. (hmmmmm)

I think I'd rather just take photos of it. Video would be even better.

H&Hhunter
July 16, 2009, 01:13 AM
Ron,

To each there own and there is nothing wrong with that. But to answer your question.

As far as dragging it and gutting it and getting it out well that is the part where you are required to strap on your fuzzy man suit and get to work. There ain't nothing easy about being a real man. I process it myself. A butcher would charge about $300 to $400 depending on what you wanted done. If you don't have a chest freezer don't shoot a moose unless you live where it stays frozen all winter then you can store in your shed or barn.

Taxidermy on that piece for full shoulder mount would be about $600 to $1200 depending once again on several things. A euro mount would cost you some elbow grease and a bone saw.

A finished piece doesn't weigh all that much and your wall should be able to take it.

If your wife would divorce you for providing some of the worlds very finest purest and healthiest protein then you and I have a different idea about what makes a good marrying woman.;)

jim in Anchorage
July 16, 2009, 04:35 AM
Giving away moose meat is as hard as giving away $20 bills. Rutted up caribou bulls though...

rondog
July 20, 2009, 02:40 AM
I've heard that moose meat is some of the best there is, but I've never tried it. I love guns and shooting, but I just don't have any burning desire to hunt large animals. Of course, I'm not as physically able to do it as most guys, that's a large part of it. For me, it would be more of an exercise in pain and frustration than it would be worth. My lifestyle just ain't setup for the extra costs and efforts either. But I have NO moral restrictions about anybody else doing it. As long as they do it right, and don't just take the antlers/head and leave the meat to rot.

And I don't particularly care for the "real man" comments, thank you. Takes more than hunting to make a "real man". My wife's 1st husband is a hunter and "mountain man", yet he turned his back on his children so I had to raise them and make sacrifices for them. Same with his grandson. They grew up without his influence or support whatsoever, because he was too selfish and lazy to be bothered. Does his prowess as a hunter make him more of a man, and me less of one? I don't think so.

H&Hhunter
July 20, 2009, 12:46 PM
Ron,

That comment about strapping on your fuzzy man suit and life not being easy for a real man was meant tongue and cheek. So you can relax nobody was putting you down or questioning your manhood. That is what the little ;) guy at the ends means. That it is a light hearted statement.

There are good and bad men in all walks of life. Most of the hunters and outdoors men I know are dedicated fathers. Sounds like your wife's ex was a LOSER I hope that everything turned out ok for the kids.

Cosmoline
July 20, 2009, 03:13 PM
The trees are young or it's far enough north that they're stunted. And I think the "road" is a little trail for four wheelers. Still it's a big moose. Looks more like the ones we get here than in Maine.

Rondog, they really are an amazing amount of work to butcher. There never seems to be an end to the loads. Many people up here have a home processing station for the final cleaning and sealing of the meat with the vacuum bags. It then goes into a chest freezer for storage. I know a guy who uses a little electric chainsaw with olive oil as bar lube to make it go faster.

rondog
July 20, 2009, 03:37 PM
Ron,

That comment about strapping on your fuzzy man suit and life not being easy for a real man was meant tongue and cheek. So you can relax nobody was putting you down or questioning your manhood. That is what the little guy at the ends means. That it is a light hearted statement.

There are good and bad men in all walks of life. Most of the hunters and outdoors men I know are dedicated fathers. Sounds like your wife's ex was a LOSER I hope that everything turned out ok for the kids.

Yeah, I figured that's what you meant. Sorry about the defensive attitude, but I've pretty much had enough of being used the last 22 years. Long story, but this thread is about that moose. Hey, how about that big ol' moose?!?! Sure looks like a monster to me. I'd still like to try a moose steak someday.

H&Hhunter
July 21, 2009, 01:22 PM
Yeah, I figured that's what you meant. Sorry about the defensive attitude, but I've pretty much had enough of being used the last 22 years.

Ron,

No worries brother. When I reread my post it isn't nearly as hilarious now as when I wrote it late at night and I can see how it could be taken wrong.

Nuke8401
July 22, 2009, 12:49 PM
I would like to hunt a big animal some day. I'm lucky to get a medium size deer here in CT. A high school friend's mom moved to Alaska years ago, she sent him a picture of a moose standing beside her Subaru, you could see light between the belly of the moose and the ROOF of the SUBI!

None of my business, If I bagged a moose I would have to send Rondog some good steaks, I can sympathize with him.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 22, 2009, 01:10 PM
So the consensus is...

photoshop?

or

real?

????

Madmo
July 22, 2009, 01:23 PM
Dam the back end of that thing looks like my ex-mother-in-law!!!!

H&Hhunter
July 22, 2009, 01:32 PM
Having spent a lot of time around moose and thinking that what is throwing people off is that the road is a two track and quite narrow. I think it could well be real. Of course it is the net so there is no telling but a big Yukon moose is sight to behold they are HUGE.

jim in Anchorage
July 23, 2009, 12:38 AM
I have so many moose in my yard I can't keep a garden. I think it may or may not be real. If it is,thats a very narrow rood and the photographer is either sitting,kneeling or about 3 feet tall. A down low perceptive makes anything look bigger. Moose are big,but not 12 ft tall.

rondog
August 2, 2009, 05:36 PM
So the consensus is...

photoshop?

or

real?

????

I have no doubt it's real, but then I don't know how to do photoshop or anything about it, and I'm always skeptical about what can really be done with it. Same with these photos, this moose looks real to me. I have nothing against hunting them, but I look at these photos and think "Jeez, that looks like a LOT of work and hassle!", and my back starts hurting.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/misc%20stuff/moose02.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/misc%20stuff/moose03.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/misc%20stuff/moose04.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/misc%20stuff/moose05.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/misc%20stuff/moose06.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/misc%20stuff/moose01.jpg

jim in Anchorage
August 2, 2009, 07:26 PM
Why anyone would take a whole moose home is beyond me. They must have
had a deuce and a quarter with a boom winch. Then hang it in the garage? What a mess. They are not hard to butcher in the Field with a chain saw using corn oil for bar lube.

I have no doubt it's real, but then I don't know how to do photoshop or anything about it, and I'm always skeptical about what can really be done with it. Same with these photos, this moose looks real to me. I have nothing against hunting them, but I look at these photos and think "Jeez, that looks like a LOT of work and hassle!", and my back starts hurting.

Dr_2_B
August 2, 2009, 09:15 PM
whew

MCgunner
August 2, 2009, 09:54 PM
I don't think I could get that thing home on my Goldwing.:what:

Cosmoline
August 2, 2009, 11:07 PM
Why anyone would take a whole moose home is beyond me.

That is really strange. I wonder what they were up to.

jim in Anchorage
August 2, 2009, 11:54 PM
That is really strange. I wonder what they were up to
There is something odd about this. When have you ever seen anyone in Alaska wear hunter Orange? And look at how clean the rims are on that Kawasaki.

KenWP
August 3, 2009, 01:15 AM
I made the mistake of splitting a cow with a electric chain saw just once. The bone chips got into everything. Whats worse is when some idiot shoots a moose in the water. We seen one guy do it and then leave it to die and drove off so my buddy who had just retired from the army as a WO stiped down and went out and tied a rope on it and we pulled it out of the water and took it home.

Uncle Mike
August 3, 2009, 01:48 AM
giving away moose meat is as hard as giving away $20 bills. Rutted up caribou bulls though...

hehehehehe.......:p

rondog
August 3, 2009, 02:19 AM
There is something odd about this. When have you ever seen anyone in Alaska wear hunter Orange? And look at how clean the rims are on that Kawasaki.

I have no idea where the photos were taken, they're not mine. I just snagged 'em off the 'net somewhere.

AFA dragging it home...a non-hunting idjit like me would just assume that's what I had to do. Cutting it up in the field probably wouldn't occur to me.

jim in Anchorage
August 3, 2009, 02:26 AM
I use the chain saw to remove the legs above the knee, and the skull plate with antlers if bulls of a certain antler size are legally required. Use It to split the pelvis and the breast bone. All the chips are just going into the guts/lungs anyway. Skin one side and remove the quarters with a knife by cutting to the joint and separating it by hand[it's just a good hard shove on the leg when the meat is cut away].
Now its skinned[on the side your working on],and the breast bone is cut,so grab the lower part of the ribs and lift hard. They will break cleanly at the back bone. Cut away the attaching meat, and remove. Remove the back strap on that side.
Flip over and repeat.
A chain saw is not absolutely necessary[I have done it with a axe and knife] but makes it a little easer.
The carcass makes great bear bait, by the way:D

jim in Anchorage
August 3, 2009, 02:49 AM
have no idea where the photos were taken, they're not mine. I just snagged 'em off the 'net somewhere.

AFA dragging it home...a non-hunting idjit like me would just assume that's what I had to do. Cutting it up in the field probably wouldn't occur to me.

I never questioned it's authenticity. But it may have been on a military base.[land]
They have their own ways of doing things I know nothing about.

Cosmoline
August 3, 2009, 04:44 AM
When have you ever seen anyone in Alaska wear hunter Orange?

Yeah I noticed that too. The whole thing is just a little off, but maybe it was in Canada or someplace where they cook moose whole. In a big pot. Seriously, I saw it on Red Green one time!

jim in Anchorage
August 3, 2009, 05:28 AM
Yeah, I can believe Canada, but those military types just up from Arkansas/Texas/Louisiana,etc, have their own ideas on hunting.[and driving on ice]
That would be a hell of a pot!:D

moosehunt
August 3, 2009, 05:27 PM
There is no doubt that it is real--it's just that it has been significantly altered before being printed here.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
August 4, 2009, 12:38 PM
When have you ever seen anyone in Alaska wear hunter Orange?

Say what? Youens aren't required to wear orange? Even if not required, why wouldn't you? :scrutiny:

moosehunt
August 4, 2009, 04:19 PM
The actual # of hunters coupled with the total area hunted leads to very little hunter contact, hence the safety factor is minute. In all my Moose hunts there, I've never seen a single other hunter, same when Bear hunting. And while Caribou hunting, only those I was with. Before I ever went, I thought the same thing, but after several hunts, all on my own, it becomes obvious why the orange is not needed. But no one will squall if you choose to wear it.

Cosmoline
August 4, 2009, 04:43 PM
Hunting up here is more remote and intense. I guess wearing orange would help them find your body, but other than that we don't get a lot of crossfire situations.

jim in Anchorage
August 4, 2009, 11:16 PM
I don't even see it in the stores.

leathermanwave
August 5, 2009, 01:20 AM
I'm always skeptical about what can really be done with it.

This is what Photoshop is capable of.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk292/leathermanwave/ugly_person.jpg

H&Hhunter
August 5, 2009, 02:34 AM
this is what photoshop is capable of.

mommy!!

H&Hhunter
August 5, 2009, 02:35 AM
If that moose was shot on a military base then Orange is required. Even in Alaska.

moosehunt
August 5, 2009, 03:33 AM
How 'bout that Leatherman! I see that you are associated with my x-wife! You must have a better camera than me. I tried to photograph her 3 times--3 broken cameras. That first night I met her in the cantina, all I saw was pony tails and a smile--and actually, I originally thought the pony tails were blond. Then I woke up 3 days later--glad you found her! No returns accepted!

If you enjoyed reading about "One Helluva Moose" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!