Age Limit to Enter Gun Store

PDA

Crazy Uncle Al Gore
July 14, 2009, 01:17 PM
I was driving home today and decided to stop by Gunsport in Centerville, Ohio. It had been awhile since I had been there since their prices had been high in the past. None the less, I decided to check them out as I needed to pick up some 22 and 12 gauge ammo. I walked up to the door and saw a hand written sign saying your must be 21 years of age to enter. Being 19 I turned around and left, respecting their right as a private business to refuse service. I'm now going to go and spend my money else where. None the less, I was still surprised by their decision to put up a sign that I had to be 21 just to enter their store. I'm an avid hunter and shooter, a marine reservist who handles class III weapons on a regular basis, and a college student with good grades, hardly the gang banger that the owner of the store seems to think I am, simply because I'm under 21.

I've never seen a sign like this before, and honestly it seemed kind of snobby (the owners seemed to be big Glock and HK fans anyways :neener: ) Are age limits common in gun stores?

If you enjoyed reading about "Age Limit to Enter Gun Store" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hso
July 14, 2009, 01:33 PM
No, not here.

bratch
July 14, 2009, 01:36 PM
I've been to a similar store outside of Denver, I had the same reaction you did.

Smithiac
July 14, 2009, 01:38 PM
Theres not a legal issue that I know of but maybe they are having trouble with some of the local youth. It is foolish if you ask me.

freakshow10mm
July 14, 2009, 01:42 PM
Perhaps they only sell handguns. As such no one under 21yo can handle them or buy from them. That might be the reason. I know a few FFLs that only deal with handguns and not rifles.

Gun Slinger
July 14, 2009, 01:52 PM
Been there myself.

GunSport sells all types of guns, pistols, rifles, shotguns, ammo and related accessories. The OP didn't miss much considering that GunSport tends to price at the high end of the retail market while having nothing unusual to offer over any other store that I've ever been in.

Don't sweat it, Crazy Uncle Al- You've missed nothing spectacular except for their prices.

Sav .250
July 14, 2009, 03:33 PM
News to me. Go to any Gun Show and you see kids, young adults. Go to
any box-store that sells ammo/guns you see kids, young adults. That applies to Gun stores here as well.

To bad you didn`t ask...why. Then we`d know.

chevyforlife21
July 14, 2009, 03:36 PM
normaly you have to be 18 to handle rifles and shotguns but pistols would be over 21 and you should still be able to go in the store

kentucky bucky
July 14, 2009, 03:55 PM
Sounds like they are either scared or lazy, but they are for sure ignorant. If the American military will take 18 year olds, then they should have all the rights that the country offers.

Leanwolf
July 14, 2009, 04:04 PM
Nothing like that in Idaho.

L.W.

barricade
July 14, 2009, 05:18 PM
I work in the firearms industry and there is no federal law that states that an individual under the age of 21 cannot be in a gun store. Also there is no state law in Ohio that states you may not enter into a gun store. However is sounds like a box store issue. Certain box stores have a set of tighter regulations then state and federal law. Which might be the case.

CountGlockula
July 14, 2009, 05:21 PM
I'm an avid hunter and shooter, a marine reservist who handles class III weapons on a regular basis, and a college student with good grades, hardly the gang banger...

If every 19 year old were like you, the US would be a better place...but again those characteristics are limited.

I work in the firearms industry and there is no federal law that states that an individual under the age of 21 cannot be in a gun store. Also there is no state law in Ohio that states you may not enter into a gun store. However is sounds like a box store issue. Certain box stores have a set of tighter regulations then state and federal law. Which might be the case.

But do you let those under 21 fondle weapons to their delight?

jnyork
July 14, 2009, 05:26 PM
Thank you for serving, Uncle Al. Your situation with the gunstore is absurd and should be taken with a large grain of salt, as others have said here you probably didnt miss much. Just express your opinion of that store with your feet and your wallet. Keep in mind there are plenty of 19 year olds with a year of sandbox combat under their belts who cant buy a beer in the local tavern which is another absurdity.

Raptorq7r13
July 14, 2009, 05:36 PM
Never seen anything like that. I'd never walk into a store with such a sign, being only 18 and all.

I'd never have any fun at all if the gun stores around here did that. I love to go in and just chat up those who are wiser in the ways of guns than I am. :D

freakshow10mm
July 14, 2009, 05:37 PM
It's against federal law for a sub-21yo to handle a handgun at a dealer's.

barricade
July 14, 2009, 05:37 PM

Yes. So long as there treating them as weapons and not some toy.

Raptorq7r13
July 14, 2009, 05:41 PM

I sure didn't know that. I just *might* have broken that at least every time I go into a gun store. I"m always seeing what I think of grips, sights and such on a latest handgun.

RP88
July 14, 2009, 05:45 PM
a local range near me had a sign refusing people under the age of 21 unless they were in the military or in law enforcement. It made sense, since they were not a gun store that carried anything hunting-related, but still...

I guess some people just don't want to sell an AK-47 to a mall ninja, counter-strike kid, or an idiot who could be trying to buy one with the interest of going out there and shooting at people with it.

I still went in once before my 21st and bought 100 rounds of .223 from them. They still sold it to me. I guess they did not bother me since I came in with the intent of spending money right when I walked in.

It's against federal law for a sub-21yo to handle a handgun at a dealer's

No it is not. It is against the law for a sub-21yo to purchase a handgun from a dealer, but he can still surely possess one, let alone fondle one or check one out. It would be, however, against the law for a sub-18yo to even touch a handgun unless under direct supervision by parent, guardian, and/or qualified instructor.

azhunter12
July 14, 2009, 05:51 PM

I'm 15 and when my dad and I bought my glock I was able to hold it. Maybe the clerk just didn't know the law.

jordan1948
July 14, 2009, 05:53 PM
Not here. My local pawn shop doens't even ask to see ID to handle a firearm. I'm 17 but don't look it so that could be why :D

barricade
July 14, 2009, 05:53 PM
Here is federal law for purchases from the ATF web site which anyone can obtain.

(F6) Does a customer have to be a certain age to buy firearms or ammunition from a licensee? [Back]

Yes. Under the GCA, long guns and long gun ammunition may be sold only to persons 18 years of age or older. Sales of handguns and ammunition for handguns are limited to persons 21 years of age and older. Although some State and local ordinances have lower age requirements, dealers are bound by the minimum age requirements established by the GCA. If State law or local ordinances establish a higher minimum age, the dealer must observe the higher age requirement.

Here is federal law on your .22 ammo

(F7) May a licensee sell interchangeable ammunition such as .22 cal. rimfire to a person less than 21 years old? [Back]

Yes, provided the buyer is 18 years of age or older, and the dealer is satisfied that it is for use in a rifle. If the ammunition is intended for use in a handgun, the 21-year-old minimum age requirement is applicable.

SCKimberFan
July 14, 2009, 05:57 PM

I have never heard that before. Can you offer some proof?

freakshow10mm
July 14, 2009, 06:02 PM
C. CONDUCT OF BUSINESS

(Q1): Can a juvenile possess a handgun and ammunition on the business premises of a licensee?

(A1): Juvenile possession of a handgun on the business premises of a licensee for examination or viewing purposes is prohibited pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 922(x). Under 18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1), it is unlawful for a Federal firearms licensee to sell or deliver “any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age.”

Further, 18 U.S.C. 922(x) provides that it shall be unlawful for a person to sell, deliver, or otherwise transfer to a person who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe is a juvenile - (a) a handgun; or (b) ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun. And, it shall be unlawful for any person who is a juvenile to knowingly possess the same. This subsection does not apply to--

1. a temporary transfer of a handgun or ammunition to a juvenile or to the possession or use of a handgun or ammunition by a juvenile if the handgun and ammunition are possessed and used by the juvenile--
1. in the course of employment, in the course of ranching or farming related to activities at the residence of the juvenile (or on property used for ranching or farming at which the juvenile, with the permission of the property owner or lessee, is performing activities related to the operation of the farm or ranch), target practice, hunting, or a course of instruction in the safe and lawful use of a handgun;
2. with the prior written consent of the juvenile's parent or guardian who is not prohibited by Federal, State, or local law from possessing a firearm, except--
1. during transportation by the juvenile of an unloaded handgun in a locked container directly from the place of transfer to a place at which an activity described in clause (i) is to take place and transportation by the juvenile of that handgun, unloaded and in a locked container, directly from the place at which such an activity took place to the transferor; or
2. with respect to ranching or farming activities as described in clause (i), a juvenile may possess and use a handgun or ammunition with the prior written approval of the juvenile's parent or legal guardian and at the direction of an adult who is not prohibited by Federal, State or local law from possessing a firearm;
3. the juvenile has the prior written consent in the juvenile's possession at all times when a handgun is in the possession of the juvenile; and
4. in accordance with State and local law;
2. a juvenile who is a member of the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard who possesses or is armed with a handgun in the line of duty;
3. a transfer by inheritance of title (but not possession) of a handgun or ammunition to a juvenile; or
4. the possession of a handgun or ammunition by a juvenile taken in defense of the juvenile or other persons against an intruder into the residence of the juvenile or a residence in which the juvenile is an invited guest.

Therefore, juvenile possession of a handgun on the business premises of a licensee for examination or viewing purposes is prohibited pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 922(x) as it does not fall within one of the enumerated exceptions.

In every federal law I've ever read, juvenile is a person under the age of 21 years old.

Corey
July 14, 2009, 06:02 PM
I have posted this before in another thread

Juvenile possession of a handgun on the business premises of a licensee for examination or viewing purposes is prohibited pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 922(x). Under 18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1), it is unlawful for a Federal firearms licensee to sell or deliver “any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age.”

Further, 18 U.S.C. 922(x) provides that it shall be unlawful for a person to sell, deliver, or otherwise transfer to a person who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe is a juvenile - (a) a handgun; or (b) ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun. And, it shall be unlawful for any person who is a juvenile to knowingly possess the same. This subsection does not apply to--

A. a temporary transfer of a handgun or ammunition to a juvenile or to the possession or use of a handgun or ammunition by a juvenile if the handgun and ammunition are possessed and used by the juvenile--

i. in the course of employment, in the course of ranching or farming related to activities at the residence of the juvenile (or on property used for ranching or farming at which the juvenile, with the permission of the property owner or lessee, is performing activities related to the operation of the farm or ranch), target practice, hunting, or a course of instruction in the safe and lawful use of a handgun;

ii. with the prior written consent of the juvenile's parent or guardian who is not prohibited by Federal, State, or local law from possessing a firearm, except--

I. during transportation by the juvenile of an unloaded handgun in a locked container directly from the place of transfer to a place at which an activity described in clause (i) is to take place and transportation by the juvenile of that handgun, unloaded and in a locked container, directly from the place at which such an activity took place to the transferor; or

II. with respect to ranching or farming activities as described in clause (i), a juvenile may possess and use a handgun or ammunition with the prior written approval of the juvenile's parent or legal guardian and at the direction of an adult who is not prohibited by Federal, State or local law from possessing a firearm;

iii. the juvenile has the prior written consent in the juvenile's possession at all times when a handgun is in the possession of the juvenile;

iv. and in accordance with State and local law;

B. a juvenile who is a member of the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard who possesses or is armed with a handgun in the line of duty;

C. a transfer by inheritance of title (but not possession) of a handgun or ammunition to a juvenile; or

D. the possession of a handgun or ammunition by a juvenile taken in defense of the juvenile or other persons against an intruder into the residence of the juvenile or a residence in which the juvenile is an invited guest.

Therefore, juvenile possession of a handgun on the business premises of a licensee for examination or viewing purposes is prohibited pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 922(x) as it does not fall within one of the enumerated exceptions.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/2008shotshowfaq.htm

Freakshow beat me by seconds

jbauch357
July 14, 2009, 06:03 PM
I've seen one sign like that in the Seattle area out of the dozen or so gun shops I've walked into...

Mags
July 14, 2009, 06:04 PM
against the law for a sub-18yo to even touch a handgun unless under direct supervision by parent, guardian, and/or qualified instructor.
Tha Air Force didn't seem to notice when I was given an M16, M9 and M500 at the age of 17. Hell I was running the armory at 19.

freakshow10mm
July 14, 2009, 06:06 PM
This is the civilian world not the military. It is not the same thing nor even close to it so I don't know what you are trying to accomplish by bringing that up.

Mags
July 14, 2009, 06:10 PM
Sorry for the rant.

barricade
July 14, 2009, 06:13 PM
A Juvenile by defenition is a person under 18years of age and that does not apply to you.

A Juvenile (under 18years of age) may even sell guns at a gun shop with written permission from parents or legal guardian.

(B14) May a parent or guardian purchase firearms or ammunition as a gift for a juvenile (less than 18 years of age)? [Back]

Yes. However, possession of handguns by juveniles (less than 18 years of age) is generally unlawful. Juveniles generally may only receive and possess handguns with the written permission of a parent or guardian for limited purposes, e.g., employment, ranching, farming, target practice or hunting.

(F4) May an employee of a licensed dealer, such as a manager or clerk, who is under 21 years of age, sell handguns and ammunition suitable for use in handguns for the licensee? [Back]

Yes, if the employee is not a prohibited person (e.g., a felon). However, to sell handguns, a person less than 18 years of age must have the prior written consent of a parent or guardian and the written consent must be in the personís possession at all times. Also, the parent or guardian giving the written consent may not be prohibited by law from possessing a firearm. Moreover, State law must not prohibit the juvenile from possessing the handguns or ammunition.

You must remember the key word is JUVENILE. Under the age of 18. Your original problem was age 21. You are 19 a free to fondle all the handguns you want. Unless state law superseeds federal law.

novaDAK
July 14, 2009, 06:13 PM
there's a local range/shop that has a sign inside that says no unattented children under age 18 (sign used to say 21 but they changed that several years ago). Simply put, they don't want a bunch of unsupervised kids running around messing with the rifles on the rack or gunpowder, etc.

I've been going there since I was 16 and they never had any problems with me :)

Funderb
July 14, 2009, 06:29 PM
I guess some people just don't want to sell an AK-47 to a mall ninja, counter-strike kid, or an idiot who could be trying to buy one with the interest of going out there and shooting at people with it.

well thats just stupid. I know plenty or dumb##### over the age of 21.

2RCO
July 14, 2009, 06:42 PM
One of the local gunshops has kids toys and a couple coloring books. He also wisely keeps anything dangerous where a munchkin can't get to it. Consequently he gets alot of business from being family friendly.

It's not a bad long term business model--those snot nosed kids grow up to be customers.

THE DARK KNIGHT
July 14, 2009, 06:52 PM
You don't know the whole story. Don't go on the internet spouting garbage if you don't know the whole story. Maybe they've got droves of post-high school aged kids coming in and fondling all the pretty weapons they saw in Call of Duty 4 playing with them making noises showing off and having no intention of actually owning a firearm and wasting his time all day.

Officers'Wife
July 14, 2009, 07:00 PM
My Dad and uncle dragged me to nearly every gun shop and shooting range in northern Indiana when I was growing up. Had either seen such a sign that store would have lost business much.

I'm always angered at how our nation allows good and responsible people serve our country yet continues to 'protect' society from their lack of judgment if they happen to be under 21.

Raptorq7r13
July 14, 2009, 07:14 PM
Then kick those bad/irresponsible people out and leave the responsible people alone. I know people at the age of 15 that I would fully trust with a firearm. I know people at the age of 30 who I wouldn't trust with a butter knife.

jhco
July 14, 2009, 07:17 PM
I always see kids in the store that I go to but usually they are with an adult, non the less I don't think their is an age limit atleast not in Florida

2RCO
July 14, 2009, 07:32 PM
You don't know the whole story. Don't go on the internet spouting garbage if you don't know the whole story. Maybe they've got droves of post-high school aged kids coming in and fondling all the pretty weapons they saw in Call of Duty 4 playing with them making noises showing off and having no intention of actually owning a firearm and wasting his time all day.

I think somebody must work in a gunstore and have had this happen!

If they are a PITA boot em.. I've seen the same local dealer I was talking about earlier run problem non-customers out of the store with a Megaphone.

THE DARK KNIGHT
July 14, 2009, 07:43 PM
I think somebody must work in a gunstore and have had this happen!

If they are a PITA boot em.. I've seen the same local dealer I was talking about earlier run problem non-customers out of the store with a Megaphone.

And do what? Waste all day chasing dumb kids out of the store? Leave from helping out paying customers to tell some little rugrat to put the USP45 or the PS90 down? It's easier to just shut them all out of the store until they're old enough to behave. No point in making the good, paying customers have to listen to someone yelling on a megaphone.

And no I don't work in a gun store, I live about 3,000 miles from the OP.

barricade
July 14, 2009, 07:51 PM
Looks like everyone here got away from the real issue and that is to answer the question of Crazy uncle al gore. Thats to bad. Now this thread is nothing more than a big argument.

danbrew
July 14, 2009, 08:14 PM
as I needed to pick up some 22 and 12 gauge ammo. I walked up to the door and saw a hand written sign saying your must be 21 years of age to enter.

Kudos to you. I also vote with my pocketbook. What you should have done is go inside and ask to speak to the owner or manager (or get the owners phone number if he wasn't there) and then offer a polite observation that you came to the store to spend money and then saw the sign. Don't assume anything, because like others have said, they may have a specific problem they're trying to solve. So, don't assume anything - ask the guy if the sign applies to you because you were coming in to make a lawful purchase. He may say "shoot, we've got a bunch of kids from the high school coming over here. guess we need to change the sign to say 18." or he may say he doesn't like folks under 21. either way, you'll give him an opportunity to explain his reason to you. You can then make the call to buy or walk - and if you choose to walk you should tell him you don't agree with his reason and that's why you're spending money with his competition.

If I choose to vote with my pocketbook, I do generally try to let the guy that owns the place know about it.

DaveBeal
July 14, 2009, 08:19 PM

18USC922(x) says it is illegal for a dealer to "sell, deliver or otherwise transfer" a handgun to someone under 21. I'm not convinced that allowing someone to handle it constitutes delivery or transferral.

msb45
July 14, 2009, 09:05 PM
+1 to Dave Beal, but now that I think of it if I hold it it's mine does sound good.

When my daughter was 8 she tried to hold and test pull lenght on a few .22 in some stores, no issues.

To the OP there is no law, just a business policy. They're weighing 1 good purchase to a bunch of knuckle heads or worse a TV film crew documenting how someone under 21 could....

dullh
July 14, 2009, 09:06 PM
So far, I have not been in a gun shop that has an age limit. Around here a 5 year old can go in a gun shop, but you have to be 18 to buy long guns and 21 to buy handguns. There is no age limit on powder, primers, or anything else in there that's not an actual firearm...although I don't see alot of teenagers buying reloading supplies.

I guess some gun shops want to act like casinos and topless bars. Whatever.

paintballdude902
July 14, 2009, 09:25 PM
i went into a place 3days before i turned 18 and was told to "turn tail and leave" that it was "illegal" to be there without a parent oh well from what i heard their prices are horrible anyways

kirklandkie
July 14, 2009, 09:30 PM
walk in that place and tell them that posting that sign is considered "interrupting interstate commerce", a business is not allowed to fabricate a rule which discriminates against age where state law says you only have to be 18.
the woman at our local hardware store wouldn't sell me ammunition when i was 18, i didn't know the law which says she can't do that at the time so i left..... and never went back. i can't respect people who fabricate laws

-kirk

Mr. Bojangles
July 15, 2009, 05:50 AM
I feel that any business owner can make any rule he or she wants, so long as it is not illegal. Although it is legal for people under 21 to handle firearms in most circumstances, it is still well within the rights of the shop owner to refuse to allow individuals under 21 to enter his shop.

It is also our right as consumers to not spend our money at a place of business that offends us. :neener:

Raptorq7r13
July 15, 2009, 08:18 AM
It is also our right as consumers to not spend our money at a place of business that offends us.

Amen. Let them do what they will I suppose. I just know all my gun owning friends under 21 and I will be spending all our money with the competition.

freakshow10mm
July 15, 2009, 09:35 AM
18USC922(x) says it is illegal for a dealer to "sell, deliver or otherwise transfer" a handgun to someone under 21. I'm not convinced that allowing someone to handle it constitutes delivery or transferral.
Read the law again. They can only possess for certain circumstances. If it isn't specifically listed as being exempted (legal), then it's illegal. Inspecting a handgun is not specifically exempted so it's illegal. I don't agree with it but it's the way the law is.

There is no age limit on powder, primers, or anything else in there that's not an actual firearm...although I don't see alot of teenagers buying reloading supplies.
Yes there is. Bullets and ammunition follow the same 18 long gun and 21 handgun rule that firearms do. An 18yo cannot buy pistol bullets legally from a business or manufacturer.

Funderb
July 15, 2009, 09:55 AM
oh screw it.

its just dumb and we all know it.

Raptorq7r13
July 15, 2009, 10:33 AM
There is an age limit on primers. I'm one of those teenagers who reloads. I've gotten most of my primers from private party, so I don't know for sure if the age limit is 18 or 21. I know cabela's says you have to be an 'adult.' I don't know if that means 18 or 21.

freakshow10mm
July 15, 2009, 11:11 AM
That's Cabela's policy, not law.

cauberallies
July 15, 2009, 04:52 PM
I'm 20. I was 19 two months ago. Around here, not only have I never been turned away from a dedicated gun store for my age, but I've never been given any hassle, and I've handled lots of handguns. The 4 shops around here that I frequent all know I am under 21, but I'm going to guess that the fact that I actually spend money on something more often than not, and that I have brought new customers to them all has something to do with it. In the past 5 months, I have created 6 new gun owners, repeat customers, and second amendment supporters. I also go out once a week to all the local gun stores to check prices, ammunition availability, and anything new they may have got in in the past week, and this information goes to several other people who all buy on a regular basis as well.

I am certain that what I have said above has everything to do with the way I am treated in local gun stores. I have seen people turned away based on age, behavior, and the fact that they don't ever buy anything. The mall ninjas and call of duty kids coming in to fondle all the AR-15s, asking to see their "sniper rifles" and arguing over whether or not the Beretta shotgun that says "automatic" on the sticker is full auto or not are enough to drive me crazy in the short time I am in the store, so I couldn't even imagine what these guys have to put up with on a regular basis.

The only trouble I have ever been given, was at Dick's sporting goods. I asked to see the Mini 14 they had just got in, and I was told that I have to be 21 to handle or buy guns there. They only carry long guns, mind you. But I think it could have just been someone in a bad mood, because I've had no problems checking out guns with other employees.

DaveBeal
July 15, 2009, 08:24 PM
Read the law again. They can only possess for certain circumstances. If it isn't specifically listed as being exempted (legal), then it's illegal. Inspecting a handgun is not specifically exempted so it's illegal.

The exceptions are relevant only if the handgun has been transferred. I'm suggesting that just handling the gun to inspect it is not transferral and so doesn't require an exception. But we'll never know for sure because 18USC922 doesn't define "transfer".

bthr22
August 5, 2010, 07:07 PM
Kudos to you. I also vote with my pocketbook. What you should have done is go inside and ask to speak to the owner or manager (or get the owners phone number if he wasn't there) and then offer a polite observation that you came to the store to spend money and then saw the sign. Don't assume anything, because like others have said, they may have a specific problem they're trying to solve. So, don't assume anything - ask the guy if the sign applies to you because you were coming in to make a lawful purchase. He may say "shoot, we've got a bunch of kids from the high school coming over here. guess we need to change the sign to say 18." or he may say he doesn't like folks under 21. either way, you'll give him an opportunity to explain his reason to you. You can then make the call to buy or walk - and if you choose to walk you should tell him you don't agree with his reason and that's why you're spending money with his competition.

If I choose to vote with my pocketbook, I do generally try to let the guy that owns the place know about it.

Heads up if you go this route, the owner of Gunsport in Centerville is known for being a jerk. Don't be suprised if you are just blown off. I was in there today and had the exact same problem. I'm 18 and he said you can't be in here, which i feel is rediculous as I am a potential paying customer, and am legally allowed to purchase most of the stuff he has in there. Needless to say he won't get any of my business. OP, try Peabodys Sports on Wilmington Pike in Kettering. They are very friendly, and have better prices than Gunsport.

ColeK
August 5, 2010, 07:49 PM
God, I'm glad I came of age in the 1960's. I've been buying ammo since I was 8 years old. I bought my first rifle when I was 17. I had other firearms but they were gifts.

MolleMan
August 5, 2010, 08:02 PM
I have to agree with cauberallies, gunstores must come across young playstation kids wanting to play with their favorite online rifle but I was really bothered that at my local academy sports they would not let my wife (whos 19) handle a pisto land I have bought plenty from them. needless to say i have not been back.

Pyzon
August 5, 2010, 09:08 PM
I suggest you call them up to tell them that they are excluding you from spending your money in their establishment. They will react positively, negatively, or most likely not at all. Nonetheless, there are others that welcome your business.

Boris bush
August 5, 2010, 09:16 PM
I wonder if they would throw me out if I were to bring my 7YO in with me?

If they did not I would ringup a huge sale and when I was given the total I would tell them I will not spend my money in a place like that and leave.

My boy will not let me out the door without him on my weekly funstore visit. No way I would leave him home to go to a store like that.......

brboyer
August 5, 2010, 11:24 PM
I took my grandson into a local shop and bought him (and made it clear I was buying them for him *) a S&W 638, a Remington 700 in .30-06 and a .50 cal. Let him hold (touch) all of them, never a word was said.

* The wifey cannot complain when I buy stuff for the grand-kids!:D

He was two months old at the time too. ;)

rfwobbly
August 5, 2010, 11:45 PM
On the other hand....
the store owner might have had big trouble from a particular group or singular young person. By having the sign he can call the cops on them as soon as they enter. As you pointed out, this is his right.

He may simply not realize he's keeping good customers away too. I might have been tempted to call from outside the store to clarify his reason.

The point is you don't know the motivating factors until you ask.

Justin Holder
August 5, 2010, 11:54 PM
Shame they don't post IQ requirements to enter a gun store.

KAK
August 6, 2010, 12:15 AM
If you are old enough to be a victim you are old enough to at least plan your eventual self defense. I dont think the government should regulate guns though. I think if a dad wants his kid to take a handgun with him on a hike to keep him safe, or whatever, its the dads call.

I think if you criminally use a gun you should be SEVERELY punished though. We shouldnt need CHLs to protect ourselves from scum.

Sorry for the rant, but in the old days before all of this dang regulation, gun crime was almost nonexistent.

The store policy is bull**** IMHO

Davek1977
August 6, 2010, 06:24 AM
I've never seen a sign like that in any gunshop I've ever been in. Looking back at many threads here concerning gun shops, I realize how lucky I was tha the "local" gun shop (still 80 miles away when I was growing up....now the same shop is less than a mile from home) treated me the way they did. Even at 12-13, I was acknowledged when I walked into the store, andtreated with as much respect (and sometimes even maybe moreso) than anyone else in the shop. Any rifle or handgun I wanted to look at was provided to me, and any question, no matter how dumb, was answered. Twenty years down the road....with sometimes 5 years passing between visits....the owner STILL recognizes me and calls me by name every time I walk in. Teton RiVer Traders in Ft Pierre, SD...anmd espeically Cody who runs the place....have never treated me with anything but respect, whether I was 30 yrs old buying a gun, or 12 years old drooling over all the goodies in the display case. I definitely did my share of "hanging around" the gun shop not buying anything, but the attitude of the owner made it clear he didn't mind. The hours spent browsing, handling, and asking questions certainly increased my knowledge of guns and kept me interested in shooting. Who knows what effect it would have had on my emergining interest if I had been kicked out of the shop and told I wasn't welcome?

Deltaboy
August 6, 2010, 08:35 AM
Never ran into this myself. Thanks for your Service Uncle Al! If you had entered and if challenged showed them your MI then they should have been OK with you being there.

docpadds
August 6, 2010, 10:55 AM
My two kids are in the store a lot over the summer, free child labor to help unload when the deliveries come, and help with processing firearms orders etc.

rattletrap1970
August 6, 2010, 11:01 AM
I've had my CT. pistol permit since I was 18 (couldn't purchase a handgun till I was 21, state law). I don't recall any signs saying under 21 were not allowed, but they did say to keep your kids under control.

SSN Vet
August 6, 2010, 12:05 PM
KTP (very large privately owned outfitter similar to LL Bean, Cabelas, etc...) has an excellent shooting sports department that is, imo, very well run. (has large inventory, gives reasonable trade ins, knowledgeable staff, etc...)

They will not pull a hand gun out of the glass case for a customer, unless the customer is eligable to buy it. (i.e. 21)

Generally speaking, if you look 21, the clerk will just ask you and take your word for it.

I've not seen them do an i.d. chekc, but I suspect they would if you looked <21).

The last time I was there, waiting in line at the register, some numb nuts was dancing around with a shot gun off the rack, striking rambo poses, while two teeny bopper chicks snapped cell phone pics of him. I motioned to the clerk and said "if he points that at me, I'm going to go over there and stuff it up his a$$", and the guy was promplty chased out of the dept.

Point being. These type of rules, laws and poliicies most always come about as a response to a problem. And in typical American fashion, we punish everybody else, instead of the bad actors.

postalnut25
August 7, 2010, 08:35 AM
I've had good luck with my local Gander Mountain. When I bought my ^yo daughter her first pistol, they said they had to hand the pistol to me, then I could hand it to her. They gave me no problems for letting my little girl handle her pistol. They also got the sale, because the customer service was good.

22-rimfire
August 7, 2010, 10:33 AM
I have seen signs in stores that a parent or guardian must be present to handle guns for folks under 18.

Kingofthehill
August 7, 2010, 11:05 AM
Hahaha... How stupid...

at 18 i was buying 3-5k competition shotguns and thousands of rounds of ammo. Not to mention my rifles i was buying and reloading gear.

JOe

CraigC
August 7, 2010, 11:25 AM
I can understand not wanting unsupervised minors in a gun shop but I've been a gun nut since around age 12 and started buying guns without Dad on my 18th birthday. However, that time has long past and the kids these days just ain't the same. If most of them were like the OP it would be a different world but most of them just ain't.

If you enjoyed reading about "Age Limit to Enter Gun Store" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!