Get the Lead Out

PDA

My(2)Cents
July 14, 2009, 04:06 PM
I have been loading Lead and noticed that its building up in my barrel. any good products to get rid of the lead. any household items availible or no.

If you enjoyed reading about "Get the Lead Out" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MADDOG
July 14, 2009, 04:13 PM
Copper Chore Boy--pot scrubber. Try to find the Chore Boy as they are 100% copper. Wrap a little round a rod and use a little lube, works great.

rcmodel
July 14, 2009, 04:46 PM
Google
Lewis Lead Remover
And
Hoppes Tornado brush.

Take a little magnet with you to buy your chore boy pads if you go that route.

Some of it is copper plated steel wool and is very hard on barrels.
Real copper Chore Boys are non-magnetic.

BTW: Better to figure out why you are getting that much leading and work on fixing that.
Lead bullets do not have to lead your barrel shut.

rc

smith52
July 14, 2009, 05:11 PM
I keep a 50 cal ammo can half full of Hoppes #9 bore solvent on hand to soak my handguns in. Take the grips off, take them apart, put them in the can sometimes over night if they're really bad. Then run a bore bush through them a few times followed by a few patches.

blikseme300
July 14, 2009, 06:51 PM
Whenever I come across a leaded-up auto pistol barrel I use the vinegar & peroxide method.

Warning! Use at own risk.:neener:

How I do it:

Required:
1 x pint Mason jar
50% vol vinegar (cheap stuff is OK, I use the pickling type)
50% vol hydrogen peroxide (*mart stuff)

Method:
Degrease barrel in lacquer thinners.
Blow dry using compressed air.
Stand upright the barrel in the mixture in the Mason jar.
Notice the bubbles from the chemical action. (This is good)
From time to time move the barrel to clear the crud from the bore.
After approximately 10 minutes the lead will be dissolved.
Rinse the barrel in running water.
Dry using compressed air.
Wet with Hoppes No9, inside and outside of barrel.
Use a jag and patch cloth until bore is clean.
Wipe exterior.

Voila!

bullseye308
July 14, 2009, 06:58 PM
The above works fine but depending on the makeup of your barrel I wouldn't leave it in for more than 5 min at the most then run a brush through it. Repeat as necessary. I left one soaking for a while till the bubbles stopped(~30 min) and the outside of my barrel is now pitted. :banghead::fire::cuss::(:eek::mad::uhoh::confused:

DJW
July 14, 2009, 08:12 PM
What maddog said except do it DRY and the lead will not smear, it will come out in clumps and pieces.........about 10 passes if you use enough chore boy and the fit is tight!

z28orshoot
July 15, 2009, 04:41 AM
big +one one vinager and peroxide mix....

no no on aluminuim though, no problem on metal and stainless.

jjohnson
July 15, 2009, 11:48 AM
Yep, if you buy one of those you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

Since it's essentially a bronze mesh screen you're pulling through the barrel, you won't hurt anything made of steel but you'll mechanically tear out all that lead that you've spent so much time on polishing to a mirror finish.:evil: You'll be surprised how much lead comes out on the first pass from a "clean" bore.:scrutiny:

You can scrub and soak solvents in a bore until kingdom come and still not get it all out. Brownell's has 'em, and cheap (about the price of a box of ammo).

mannyCA
July 24, 2009, 06:45 PM
How about just shooting a few jacketed between lead rounds to help clean out? Thats what I do and haven't had any problems, speeds cleaning.

Quickdraw McGraw
July 24, 2009, 07:00 PM
+1 to what rc said. Should not have leading that excessive. I'm helping a guy figure out why he his getting some bad leading at the muzzle of his barrel in his M&P40.

Larry Burchfield
July 25, 2009, 07:31 AM
First of all don't use the "fire a jacketed bullet" method. I use a mixture of shooters choice and kroil mixed 50/50 (this is good for rifles also). If it is an automatic I pull the barrel out and plug the chamber end with a cork of the right size and then fill the barrel up with the above mixture and let set over night. If it is real bad you may have to brush it or use the Lewis lead remover.
You might also try some of the Rimfire Blend bore cleaner.
And shoot harder cast bullets or gas checked versions.
Larry Burchfield
SEABEES/VIETNAM/67/68/69
DAV

RM
August 2, 2009, 10:09 PM
About the Lewis Lead Remover: if it scapes the lead off as it passes through the bore, doesn't that leave lead deposited in the barrel grooves?

jfh
August 3, 2009, 10:04 AM
RM: Most of us follow the LLR routine with a clean patch run....

With the ChoreBoy copper "patch" routine, I find it has much less bite--but works well wrapped on a hd nylon bore brush.

Jim

DJW
August 3, 2009, 12:13 PM
RM;
both the Lewis Lead Remover and the Chore Boy method use a tight enough swab that the groves as well as the lands are scoured. Try it, you'll like it.
Dave

My(2)Cents
August 3, 2009, 12:40 PM
Thanks guys I bought the Lewis Lead Remover and it did the trick. BTW the leading wasn't bad I just didn't want it to get bad.

If you enjoyed reading about "Get the Lead Out" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!