Scrap brass---Mosin, amount shot

July 14, 2009, 10:19 PM
OK, I may have a weakness for mosin rifles, and Finns. then I got a SVT-40.
Earlier today I turned in the scrap 7.62x54r brass that has piled up in my garage since lass winter. 4, 5 gallon buckets of brass, 131lbs. were turned in at the scrap yard. Cash back $157. Doing the math this comes out to 5829 rounds fired. But this does not include steel cases left to rust or reloadable cases brought back home.
Do I have an addiction to shooting mosins or is this the amount everyone goes though in a year?????????

If you enjoyed reading about "Scrap brass---Mosin, amount shot" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
July 14, 2009, 10:24 PM
How's your shoulder? Dang, that a lot of rounds.

I see you're local. PM me if you want to go shoot, I'll dig out the Mosins.:)

July 14, 2009, 10:45 PM
Recoil does not bother me. I'll shoot a mosin till the wood starts to boil, set it down and shoot somethig else untill the mosin is cool enough to touch and fire it till it's hot again.
I need to take off for a little bit.

will PM in a little bit.

July 14, 2009, 10:48 PM
holy crap.

6K (plus some!!!) rounds in a year & a half? That's impressive.

I'd almost have to see pics to buy it! :neener:

And brass is over $1/lb?! That's pretty shocking as well.

July 14, 2009, 11:16 PM
I've lots of BLM land to shoot on and can really let the mosin reach out and go for the long ranges. Shooting is also a good stress relief and besides that it is just fun to do.
This shooting does not mention the rest of what I go through.
I don't think it's hording if you use what you buy. I'm not sitting on it , it's getting used.
.308 is a close 2nd.
Then there are the handguns.
Then there are the shotguns.
Then there are the handguns.
Air rifles
Blow guns
car bombs
Never mind the last one, just kiddind.

July 15, 2009, 08:52 AM
That's a whole lot of ammunition.

Years ago I used to compete in "highpower" rifle competitions. I rebarrelled several rifles during those years, and shot a lot of ammo.

The concerns I always have with milsurps which come in good condition is that by shooting them, I am eroding the throat, and replacement barrels will alter the originality of the rifle.

Silly I suppose. But it isn't much fun shooting an inaccurate rifle, and shooting an accurate rifle will wear the bore to where it will be come inaccurate. I have a Mosin Nagant with a pretty rough bore, which will still shoot about 2 inches at 100, so I shoot it thinking I can't really make the bore that much worse. Either that or 22's! Good thing there are 22 long rifle's available to me. I save the PU sniper for "special occasions."

Guess I want to have my cake and eat it too.

Glad you are having fun.

Mr. Bojangles
July 15, 2009, 08:57 AM
I'm relieved to hear that the metal "buttpad" is treating you well. I have a 91/30 and an m44.
It doubles the fun to shoot with the bayonet :rolleyes:

If you enjoyed reading about "Scrap brass---Mosin, amount shot" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!