.22lr scopes for general use

PDA

P.B.Walsh
July 14, 2009, 10:52 PM
What would be a good solid scope for a Savage MkII .22lr FV rifle? I would like to have low-profile target turrets, compact (not to top heavy for a .22lr), and under $200.

I've really looked at the Nikon Prostaff 4x32mm, the Leupold FX-II 4x33mm, the Leupold VX-I 1-4x20mm, or the Leupold FX-I 4x28mm.

Obviously the Leupolds are more $$$$$, but if their quality is worth it, then i'll pay, and I want 4x or less power, this rifle (when I can get it), will be shot at no more than 100 yards, it will not be a target gun, and possibly be a walking around rifle.

Are there any good fixed 2 power scopes?

Last but not least, are there any aftermarket synthetic stocks for a Savage MkII?

Thanks,
P.B.Walsh

If you enjoyed reading about ".22lr scopes for general use" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
P.B.Walsh
July 14, 2009, 11:32 PM
Bump.....:)

22-rimfire
July 15, 2009, 01:28 AM
I like the Weaver 4x rimfire scope. Take a look. Weaver scopes are excellent. I plan on mounting one on my Marlin 39A in the next few months for general shooting.

AgentAdam
July 15, 2009, 02:50 AM
Leupy FXI II or III or Burris FullField-II

falldowngoboom
July 15, 2009, 07:16 AM
I recently got a Weaver K-4 4x38mm. It's got great optics and is fully-multi-coated. Found mine for $115 shipped. I think it's one of the best deals for a 4x fixed.

http://www.weaveroptics.com/optics/riflescopes/classic/k-series.aspx

P.B.Walsh
July 15, 2009, 08:32 AM
I looked at Leupold's custom shop, and *REALLY* like the way that I could set up the FX-I, I put M1 dails on it, and adjusted the paralax for 100 yards, for a total price of ~ $404.40.

Are their any other good scopes with comparible turrets?

Any reports on the Prostaff? Can't I send it back to Nikon amd have turrets put on it?

Thanks again,
P.B.Walsh

JohnBT
July 15, 2009, 09:02 AM
If you can keep your eye centered it won't matter much at all. Or if you can look through the exact same spot in the rear lens every time.

Here's one example:

www.pyramydair.com/blog/2005/10/dont-understand-parallax-this-should.html

"How important is parallax?

Just last week, I was shooting groups at 50 yards with a .22 rimfire. The rifle's stock has a low comb that makes cheek placement difficult, so for the first 100 shots I was unable to group any smaller than 5 shots in 2 inches! This was a target rifle with a bull barrel, and it should have been capable of half-inch groups at that distance. Then, I noticed a small amount of parallax through the scope, which instantly told me what was happening.

Because the rifle was a semiauto, I was able to place my head on the stock and hold it in the same place for all 5 shots. Once I did that, the groups shrank to less than an inch, with the best one being smaller than a half-inch. THAT is what parallax can do to you!"

Jubjub
July 15, 2009, 09:33 AM
It is possible to adjust the parallax on a scope that lacks external adjustment. The front trim/locking ring on most scopes can be removed, either by hand or with a small strap wrench. This will give you access to the objective lens.

With the scope in a vise, or otherwise immobilized, point it at a target which is at the range you want to set the parallax for. I used a neighbors shed which is 55 yards away, fine for a .22 First, get the crosshairs focused, which is done with the eyepiece focus. Once that is locked in, move your eye around behind the scope and make a note of how much the crosshairs move. Then turn the objective lens a quarter turn or so and check again. Normally you turn it counterclockwise, moving it forward, to shorten the range. Keep track of how much you turn it, in case you want to go back to the factory setting. Don't get too carried away, and make sure that you can still see threads in front of the lens. If you should unscrew the lens completely, you will lose the nitrogen fill in your scope, and will have a problem. Once you get to where there is no movement in the crosshairs at your desired range, just screw the front ring back on, and you're set.

Of course, I'm sure that doing this yourself voids warranties, yada yada, but it's really pretty easy to do. Many manufacturers will do this for you if you send in the scope.

I've done this to a 6X Weaver that sits on my 10/22 squirrel gun, with excellent results.

22-rimfire
July 15, 2009, 09:36 AM
Another scope that I highly recommend is the Weaver 2.5-7x rimfire scope. It is just a bit longer than the 4x and still would be an excellent low profile match for your Mark II. Yes, I know you said 4x or less... No, I don't work for Weaver. :)

P.B.Walsh
July 15, 2009, 12:12 PM
Ok, the reason I want a 100 yard paralax is because I want to try out to 200 yards and push a .22lr to it's limits, so that's also the reason I want GOOD reapetable turrets that you can see (the markings) behind the scope such as the M1 turrets.

At this point I'm really liking the FX-I WITH M1 turrets and 100 yard paralax setting, yes, it is more than I want to pay, BUT it has everything I want, and therefore I will not have to buy another one. I learned this leson the hard way buying a BSA, 'cause now I want a Falcon Menace.

So IMHO, buy good, buy once, buy something that's not what you want, buy twice.

What kind of turrets does the Weaver have?

Thanks again,
P.B.Walsh

KenWP
July 15, 2009, 12:29 PM
I like the 3-9x scopes myself as when hunting gophers they tend to stick just their beady little eye above ground and sit there and squeak. If you know what your doing a 22 bullet through that eye works wonders to control the population.. I use a Simmions Walmart scope that works great.

P.B.Walsh
July 15, 2009, 12:34 PM
Ok, I figure I can get the Savage MkII FV .22lr a SSS stock and a Leupold FX-I (or some other scope).

Are there any synthetic stocks for a Savage MkII?

Thanks again,
P.B.Walsh

higene
July 15, 2009, 02:56 PM
I have a Bushnell Stalker 3-9 on a CZ 452 American. It works well.

Has anyone tried one of the Shepard .22 scopes.

I know that they are spendy but I would really like to try one.

Higene

:scrutiny:

jkingrph
July 15, 2009, 02:58 PM
I use the little Leupold 4x rimfire special on my .22's

P.B.Walsh
July 15, 2009, 03:24 PM
How well does your Leupold rimfires hold up?

bobbytm
July 15, 2009, 03:27 PM
I'm using a Bushnell Banner 4.5X on my 22lr.

krs
July 15, 2009, 04:18 PM
Ok, the reason I want a 100 yard paralax is because I want to try out to 200 yards and push a .22lr to it's limits

From around 1890 until the 1930's Schuetzen style match shooting was nearly as popular as bowling in this country and much of the firing was done offhand, standing with open sights or scopes of 4x or less of relatively poor optical quality, at 200 yards.

This rifle is a .22 made specifically for that shooting, in fact the model name is "Schuetzen Junior"... so "pushing the limits"? They've been there, done that..:)

P.B.Walsh
July 15, 2009, 04:23 PM
As in "pushing the limits", I ment me, the MkII, AND the .22lr cartridge. :)

^^^^^Nice rifle BTW, is it yours?

krs
July 15, 2009, 04:39 PM
I have that model but this forum stops you from doubleposting images and the photo I wanted to use is already here so I used that one for convenience.

Here's a crummy photo of mine...

P.B.Walsh
July 15, 2009, 04:49 PM
Nice rifle, but dosen't really look like my Remington, which I'm trying to duplicate, for cheap training.

Still, nice rifle. :)

Vern Humphrey
July 15, 2009, 04:50 PM
I use a Burris 4x mini on the Gae Bolga, my M82 Kimber, and have won a dollar or two shooting Silhouette competition with it, and killed a boxcar load of squirrels.

JohnBT
July 15, 2009, 05:15 PM
"How well does your Leupold rimfires hold up?"

I have a Leupold 3x-9 rimfire on a Cooper and it's been an excellent scope that I like a great deal. I also have a 2.5x-7 Weaver rimfire and it's almost as clear and nice. Almost. I keep meaning to buy a Leupold to replace it, but it's good enough for a little Marlin lever action Mountie. (I'll be 59 soon, I get to put scopes on anything I want, even a Mountie.)

I know you want a smaller, lighter scope, but sometimes I just have to have more magnification on my rimfires so I own a Leupold 6.5x-20 EFR that focuses down to 30 feet and 2 Weaver T-36 scopes for the days when I want to see the little holes way far away. Oh, and I have a Weaver 6x-24 that's pretty good too.

Amazing how stuff somehow accumulates over the years, isn't it?

John

P.B.Walsh
July 15, 2009, 05:51 PM
I think that I've settled on the Leupold FX-I, because I can customize it, and Leupold has a really good garrentee.

Thanks to all,
P.B.Walsh

skoro
July 15, 2009, 07:41 PM
I have a Weaver RV-7 on my Savage MkII and it's just about perfect.

2-7x28mm, but it has really bright clear images for such a small objective lens. Kinda costly, but less than the top drawer scopes. And for my eyes, the Weaver delivers about 90% of the performance of the expensive brands at a fraction of the price.

Vern Humphrey
July 15, 2009, 07:52 PM
I really don't worry much about optical quality. It's ruggedness and reliability that concern me. After all, you don't spend hours looking through a rifle scope like you do with binoculars and other optical instruments.

That 2X7mm with the 28mm objective lens, for example, will give you an exit pupil of 14mm on the low end and 4mm on the high end. The max exit pupil your eye can use is 7mm, and that's only under the dimmest conditions.

Almost all scope makers give optical quality that is "good enough," especially for hunting. But I have had reticles break or come loose and drift around inside a scope.

TomADC
July 15, 2009, 08:06 PM
I must be missing something here, I have both the MK II FV & a 93R17 FV both are synthetic stocks with bull barrels. I have Center Point 6-24 x 44mm scopes on them, the 17 is a tack driver at 100 yds and the 22lr doesn't do to bad either. I used Burris Signature rings on both rifles, only problem with both is the comb on the stock is pretty low for scope use.
I wouldn't put a 2x scope on a 22 but that's just me.
25 shots at 100yds.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL174/1021972/1908390/357570616.jpg

P.B.Walsh
July 15, 2009, 08:25 PM
:eek: nice shots!!!!! :)

The reason I want a lower power scope is because I am not wanting to see a gnats @$$ at 200 yards, just clay pigeons or notebook paper with a black sharpie dot. :)

TomADC
July 15, 2009, 08:30 PM
You must be a lot younger then I am (senior citzen) so I like the higher power but seldom go past 8 power. Buy a varible say a good 3-9 will always come in handy later.

P.B.Walsh
July 15, 2009, 09:18 PM
I'm 16 this October with contacts. :)

P.B.Walsh
July 16, 2009, 01:24 PM
Yea, I can't wait to get lazer eye surgery, to correct my eyes, well, when I can get a job, 'cause it cost ALOT of $$$$$. :)

Vern Humphrey
July 16, 2009, 04:17 PM
I got mine for free. As I got older, I became near-sighted in my left eye and far-sighted in the right, which is what laser surgery does for you. You have one eye for reading and close work, the other for distance.

My pistol shooting went all to hell, of course, because the right (far-sighted) eye is the master eye and the sights became hopelessly fuzzy. I retrained myself to shoot with the left eye, and with practice, learned to see the taget with the right eye, the sights with the left, and the brain superimposes the images, so it's even better than before.

.38 Special
July 16, 2009, 08:59 PM
Are there any good fixed 2 power scopes?

Leupold makes a nifty 2.5x20 (http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/scopes/ultralight-riflescopes/fx-ii-2-5x20mm-ultralight/) that I really like. It is extraordinarily tough, extremely light and compact, and looks just right on a small rifle.

If you enjoyed reading about ".22lr scopes for general use" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!