Magna-Port help

PDA

jon8777
July 14, 2009, 10:52 PM
I am looking for your guys opinion on magna-porting. I have a 30-06 that I'd like to put a break on, but shes fluted and no one wants to touch it with the flutes.

So the only good option is magna-porting.

If you enjoyed reading about "Magna-Port help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Acera
July 14, 2009, 11:47 PM
I can not speak for their rifle work, but I am extremely satisfied with the work they did on my O/U. The first gun I got ported was by Briley, in Houston, and did not want to make the same mistake twice, so I went with MagnaPort and could not be happier. So I like their work. Now for the rifle, have you called and talked to them about it? I would start there.

Uncle Mike
July 14, 2009, 11:49 PM
We do a lot with Magna-port... great company.

I can't fathom nobody wanting to turn your fluted barrel.

Why do you want to port the rifle?

Did you call KDF? They may do it. http://www.kdfguns.com/KDF%20MB%20Layout.html

KDF 1-800 KDF-GUNS

BTW.... LOUD, LOUD, LOUD! Did I say LOUD! Yea... it's gonna be LOUD!

jon8777
July 14, 2009, 11:51 PM
I've emailed them a few times. Got some prices, turn around times etc etc...

IMO 99.99% of the time when you talk to a sales guy, your not going to get the truth, hes not getting paid unless your buying something.

Personal experiance goes along way in my book.

bigalexe
July 15, 2009, 12:47 AM
I wont see ken until monday when the trap league is scheduled. Unfortunately he doesn't shoot the sporting clays league.

Yes i know the owner personally.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 15, 2009, 02:54 AM
Is this rifle for hunting or target shooting or what?

Mr. Bojangles
July 15, 2009, 07:34 AM
Magnaport did my Model 70 300 win mag and it greatly reduced the recoil. I mean, it made a HUGE diferrence. The quality of their workmanship is also excellent. I also think it looks a lot better than having a brake hanging off the end of your gun. :cool:

BMF500
July 15, 2009, 11:41 AM
I don't have my own opinion, yet. Anytime I've brought this subject up at the range and at work I'm told they are the people to call. I'm sending them my .500 in a week or so for porting and some other things. Depending on how my BFR turns out I'll probably be sending them my 300WBY too.

jon8777
July 15, 2009, 11:32 PM
I am thinkin about porting my 30-06 pistol. Tommrows going to be the first time shooting it, after the range trip I'll make my decision.

The guns going to be a brush gun for those saturday afternoon deer drives.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 16, 2009, 12:26 AM
In that case the last thing on earth you'd want is a loudener that offers ZERO difference in felt recoil during the hunt.

Acera
July 16, 2009, 04:24 PM
Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow wrote:
In that case the last thing on earth you'd want is a loudener that offers ZERO difference in felt recoil during the hunt.

I don't think you understand the concept. It makes it louder, but it reduces recoil. Since you spend most of your shells on the range getting familiar and comfortable with the rifle, you can benefit from the reduced recoil. You will find it more enjoyable to shoot, and hopefully shoot it more because of that. It will pay off in the field when you don't flinch when you shoot it. You can lessen the perceived noise by wearing proper hearing protection, or even putting muffs over plugs.

Uncle Mike
July 16, 2009, 04:57 PM
If your going to get the Magna Brake then you will experience recoil reduction... If you get the Magna Porting, the two trapezoidal and two oval slots EDM'd into the end of your barrel, you will NOT enjoy ANY recoil reduction.

The 'Brakes' will reduce recoil... the 'Ports' won't.

The ports will offer a very limited amount of muzzle jump reduction.

The 'Brake' is going to increase the noise factor by a great deal, but such is life to enjoy lessened recoil.

BTW.... Braking a 30-06...?? Really though, we have had customers that had us install brakes on 223's and 243's.

:D

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 16, 2009, 05:19 PM
I don't think you understand the concept. It makes it louder, but it reduces recoil.

That made me laugh out loud; thank you. :) Yes, you can rest assured I fully understand the concept.

Since you spend most of your shells on the range getting familiar and comfortable with the rifle, you can benefit from the reduced recoil. You will find it more enjoyable to shoot, and hopefully shoot it more because of that. It will pay off in the field when you don't flinch when you shoot it.

OK, yes, that's the theory and I see the logic. The better and more realistic theory here, that many many have found to be the superior theory after much experience, is at the range you use a lead sled, shooting vest, lots of careful practice, and other recoil reduction device to reduce recoil and eliminate flinch, so that you don't have a loudener when in the field. That and smaller more appropriate calibers and/or reduced loads. ANYTHING to avoid adding a device which works overtime to destroy a vital organ located in your head, which cannot regenerate itself.

You can lessen the perceived noise by wearing proper hearing protection, or even putting muffs over plugs.

Yes, you CAN. The question is, are YOU going to, REALLY, when hunting? If you are, then I'd say it's not a bad idea. If you're not, then you just spent time and money on something that's gonna give you some early tinnitus. You asked the question; don't ignore the best answer. :)

crshelton
July 16, 2009, 10:53 PM
Magnaport did my Ruger .338 Win mag and my pre 64 M70 featherweight .308 and I am very pleased with both.
Muzzle jump was significantly reduced and felt recoil is noticably less(10-15%).
I have not noticed any increase in the loudness of the report.

Both rifles are more pleasant to shoot and their accuracy remains the same.

Acera
July 16, 2009, 11:39 PM
Dude are you going to argue that a muzzle break does not reduce recoil? What do you base your logic on?

Using a smaller caliber is often not a well thought out option, the bigger game usually demand a little more energy and thus a more powerful round. So you want to limit hunting only to the small stuff you can ethically kill with a light, less obtrusive cambering?

ANYTHING to avoid adding a device which works overtime to destroy a vital organ
You sound like some of the more annoying news casters with this hyperbole.

I did not say use a lead sled, or any of that other stuff, keep is simple. The double plugs are for comfort, I use electronic muffs when I hunt, and expect to fire more than one round.

Your augment that the "loudner" as you call it is ludicrous.

You asked the question; don't ignore the best answer.

I agree, get something that helps you shoot better on the range, and be a benefit to you in the field. Get a break or porting, they work. My shotguns have them, and I enjoy the less recoil they provide.

If you enjoyed reading about "Magna-Port help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!