Humidity?

PDA

Wildyams
July 15, 2009, 03:31 AM
What is considered an acceptable humidity for a reloading/gun storage room?

what is considered too high?

right now my reloading room is at about 45% humidity, the rest of my house is about 20%.

If 45% is bad, what are some things I can do to protect my guns and reloading supplies?

thanks,
Scott

If you enjoyed reading about "Humidity?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
July 15, 2009, 07:15 AM
The critical humidity for NaCl is around 75% so you are more than safe at 45%. Basically, if you can keep the RH below 60% and take reasonable care of your firearms and reloading equipment you'll be fine.

:)

rcmodel
July 15, 2009, 12:57 PM
According to the NRA:

50% humidity at 70 degrees is considered ideal "Arms Museum" storage conditions.
Any dryer then that, and you will have problems with wood stocks drying out and shrinking / checking.

Seems your reloading room is about right, and the rest of the house too dry.

rc

July 16, 2009, 06:27 PM
50% humidity at 70 degrees is considered ideal "Arms Museum" storage conditions. Any dryer then that, and you will have problems with wood stocks drying out and shrinking / checking.

When HVAC engineers design a/c systems for large spaces such as museums, airports, libraries etc. they have to take into account the fact that the load on the cooling system changes as a function of how many people enter/leave the space. This can be a big design challenge for some buildings. However, I can assure you that for the typical homeowner, 60% RH is sufficiently low to prevent corrosion and you'll just be wasting energy maintaining your house at 50% RH. As rcmodel mentioned, you don't want the humidity to be too low either if you have rifles with wood stocks.

:)

rcmodel
July 16, 2009, 06:31 PM
Or chairs with wooden legs!

Squeek Squeek!
Kerplunk!

rc

Walkalong
July 16, 2009, 06:46 PM
60 to 65% is what we shoot for at the hospital in areas we control it. At 70 or 75% they will shut down OR. I forget offhand what the minimum is.

DickM
July 16, 2009, 06:53 PM
45% humidity is a dry day here in the Northeast. I doubt my reloading area in my basement ever goes much below 50%, even in the winter. I've never had any problems with my reloading components, loaded rounds, or rust on my guns.

dmftoy1
July 16, 2009, 07:33 PM
FWIW - Rock Island Arsenal's Firearms museum tries to keep a constant 55-60% humidity.

loadedround
July 16, 2009, 08:35 PM
I have a dedicated office/gunroom and I run a small dehumidifier about 8-9 months a year set at 55% RHL. I never had any corrosion problems or dried stocks. Have been waiting also for RCmodel's visit to see if affects his wooden legs in any way. If so I have plenty of WD40! :D

oneounceload
July 16, 2009, 11:05 PM
Having lived in northern NV, where the average humidity was always below 20%, I have never had an issue with wood stocks. Now living in FL, where the average humidity is running around 90%, I keep everything inside that I can, even thbough I physically reload in the garage

If you enjoyed reading about "Humidity?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!