ATN scopes

PDA

JAJF
July 15, 2009, 04:47 AM
How good are ATN scopes? I picked up an 8-24x75mm, and I'm thinking putting it on a Mosin Nagant to use as a target rifle.

JAJF

If you enjoyed reading about "ATN scopes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Acera
July 15, 2009, 11:07 AM
Unfortunately I have learned you get what you pay for in optics. There does not appear to be a secret scope, that costs less and performs to a higher level. Some might say the Super Sniper scope fits this description the best, but I have not heard of any others. I had an ATN and sold it, not because of any issues, just bought a better one with a little better light gathering abilities.

If you like it, and it holds it's zero use it. Not all of us can afford Nightforce or better scopes for all our guns. They seem to sell a lot of those ATNs.

P.B.Walsh
July 15, 2009, 11:31 AM
I would love to see it on your Moisin, I've never seen a 75mm scope. :)

JAJF
July 15, 2009, 01:30 PM
From what I have gathered, ATN has moved completely into IR scopes etc. This is a day-dusk scope, i.e. ill. ret. It had everything that I looked for, bullet drop, different cams etc etc, so I am not limited to just one caliber if I decide to upgrade or change.

I was just curious if anyone had heard of them, what they heard, thought etc. When I get it mounted I'll see about posting a picture.

JAJF

skywalker
July 15, 2009, 05:15 PM
Steer clear.......

Palo
July 15, 2009, 05:31 PM
Saw quite a few different ATN scopes in the sandbox as private purchases and I'd say they are fair in general, but all that had lighted reticules failed at some point (weeks to months). If your using it at a range in the states or hunting your likely OK, but if going in harm's way, get something better.

Titan6
July 15, 2009, 05:50 PM
Fair to middling.

They do not compare with the military hardware but they cost 1/3 as much also. If you can't afford better they are better than nothing.

I am not so sure about the wisdom of putting one on a Mosin. That is more of a 500 yard gun and you won't be able to see nearly that far with any ATN scope. You might think about a carbine or .22 depending upon your anticipated use of the weapon.

waffentomas
July 15, 2009, 07:02 PM
They seem like a great buy for the money, but I was very dissatisfied with their sharpness of image (or lack therof). I bought one, used it for a year, and sold it on ebay. I'd stick with the standards - Nikon, Leupold, Zeiss, Bushnell, etc.

Tom

JAJF
July 16, 2009, 05:20 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but the scope is set for 1,000 yard range, at least with bullet drop compensation. Are you saying that it would not work out past a certain range even with the capabilities that it state's are possible?

JAJF

kestak
July 16, 2009, 07:46 AM
Greetings,

You can definitively buy better for the same price. Bushnells comes in mind.

For hunting, they are ok, but I would not bring only that scope in a long and costly trip in the bushes. But I would bring only one scope of the most expensive brands.

Frankly, I went your way too often: pay cheap. And I found out I got cheap and the scopes did not hold the usage. It is why I decided a while ago to wait a little bit more to get the money and buy better. My SIG 556 is equipped with EOtech 557 and 3x mag, My 500 S&W and 44 mag revolvers are both equipped with a Bushnell. I put a Bushnell Trophy red dot on my AK and it is the only "cheap" (and it is not a crappy one) red dot that helds its zero.

I have also a Barksa 3-9x on my other AK-47 side attachment. It is a "cheap" scope (paid 195$) but as of now, it is clear, has a good field of view and held its zero for over 400 rounds.

I bought a scope for my mom AR-15 and we got that conversation. Finally, she decided to fork 400$ for a good scope for the simple reason that if she is not unlucky, it will last the remaining of her lifetime.

Just this week, I was looking for a scope to equip my new 223 varminter. Of course, my first reflex was too look in the 75-150 range and, of course, I asked here and on other boards what people think about those....Then I remembered the hard time I got with my cheap scopes and decided to put a good scope on it. Guess what? It is another Bushnell.

My SIG556 is the one that would be used if I have to fight for my life BECAUSE of the optic on it. I am planning to equip my AR-15 with a good optic, maybe ACOG, just so my wife has a good gun with good optic on it in case something goes awflully wrong.... :what: My God! It is already going awfully wrong with the communists in Washington.

Thank you

JAJF
July 16, 2009, 11:51 AM
The scope retails for $1,000. Since ATN no longer makes the scope, I got it off of optics planet for $300. I'm also looking at the Nikon Buckmaster, but it doesn't have an adjustable BDC (just lower circles beneath the crosshairs). I'm looking at target shooting out to the 5-600 yard range, so I wanted a scope with adjustable cams.

After the consistent reviews though, I am thinking that I will return the scope.

JAJF

kestak
July 16, 2009, 11:55 AM
Greetings,

Oh! Sorry for the confusion. Just for fun (evaluation), I ordered that one last week:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=428407

I don't think I will keep it my friend told me he will buy it back from me if it is decent. If not, I'll return it to the seller.

Thank you

USSR
July 16, 2009, 11:58 AM
Don't walk away from it.....Run!

Don

Eyesac
July 16, 2009, 01:31 PM
Yeah those things are garbage...

If you enjoyed reading about "ATN scopes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!