Colorado open carry

PDA

RT55
July 15, 2009, 11:51 AM
I'll be heading to the mountains of Colorado next week, and plan to camp in a National Forest campground area for several days, with hikes into a designated Wilderness area. Anybody know what the rules might be that would govern open carry? Thanks in advance.

RT55

If you enjoyed reading about "Colorado open carry" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CoRoMo
July 15, 2009, 11:57 AM
IIRC, you can open carry on any state land. National Parks are different, but a National Forest isn't necessarily a National Park.

hth

NavyLCDR
July 15, 2009, 11:58 AM
Legal and preempted by state law except in Denver. Open carry in your vehicle is legal in Denver, but not outside your vehicle.

National Forests and Wilderness areas are legal. National Parks are NOT until February 2010.

If the opencarry.org website comes up, click MAPS, Open Carry, then Colorado to get a summary.

Kind of Blued
July 16, 2009, 03:29 AM
Open carry is also prohibited in Breckenridge last I checked.

Give this page (http://www.rmgo.org/faq/#OpenCarry) a look. Wouldn't hurt to print it and read over it a few times.

Oddly enough, all of my best Kansan buddies were just out here last week. I was open carrying as we hiked and camped in the National Forests. :)

RT55
July 16, 2009, 02:49 PM
Thanks to all. Looking forward to a fun, relaxing week.
RT55

Mainsail
July 16, 2009, 10:16 PM
...but a National Forest isn't necessarily a National Park.

It isn't.....period. The two are completely different animals controlled by two completely different agencies with two completely different sets of rules.

CoRoMo
July 16, 2009, 10:57 PM
Mainsail...

My bad. I didn't realize I was unintentionally inferring that there might be some overlap there. Obviously not.

skconry
September 12, 2009, 01:15 PM
implying.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colorado open carry" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!