Cleaning a Remington .22 Mag model 597

PDA

fireballnelson
July 15, 2009, 01:23 PM
This gun was given to me as a graduation gift so I would like to keep it in exceptional condition but I have no idea about how to clean it. I saw an online diagram of all the parts and it looks very complicated. not that I would try to take it apart but then how do I clean the bolt? Also any recommendations for cleaning the exterior are appreciated. it has a black synthetic stock and a matte finish on the barrel. Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Cleaning a Remington .22 Mag model 597" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
aka108
July 15, 2009, 02:39 PM
I'd contact Remington and obtain a owners manual for the 597. It will instruct you on the process to field stip for cleaning. Maybe someone on this forum has pictures of the process and will post. You might also find more detailed info on "rimfirecentral.com". There is a whole section on the 597.

krs
July 15, 2009, 03:57 PM
You're wise to be cautious. Like most Remington autoloaders, the 597 can be confusing to get back together once disassembled. It's not the worst of them and if you can get a good set of instructions with photos and a clear step-by-step procedure, it's doable by novices.

It is one of the selections in a book called "The Gun Digest Book of Rimfire Rifles" by J.B. Woods, available in Amazon (and other places) and the instructions contained are probably as good as it gets.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cleaning a Remington .22 Mag model 597" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!