Real Life Gun Heroes- who's yours?

PDA

2dogs
January 18, 2003, 04:06 PM
Recently read "To Hell and Back" by Audie Murphy. I guess I'd have to say he is one.

And the folks who participated in the Warsaw Ghetto uprising.

If you enjoyed reading about "Real Life Gun Heroes- who's yours?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hkmp5sd
January 18, 2003, 04:12 PM
Gunnery Sergeant Carlos N. Hathcock II, USMC

2dogs
January 18, 2003, 04:38 PM
Gunnery Sergeant Carlos N. Hathcock II, USMC

I'm guessing.........................you?;)

Gunhead
January 18, 2003, 05:10 PM
My real life gun hero is the finnish WWII sniper, Simo Hayha.

http://www.mosin-nagant.net/Meeting-Legend.html

Skunkabilly
January 18, 2003, 05:14 PM
ArmySon, Ernest Langdon and Bill Murphy.

Hkmp5sd
January 18, 2003, 05:17 PM
http://www.marinescoutsniper.com/Hathcock.jpg

ACP230
January 18, 2003, 05:22 PM
John Moses Browning is one of mine.

MarineTech
January 18, 2003, 05:37 PM
I'll second GySgt Hathcock. A Marine's Marine.

I would also like to forward one other. I don't know his full name, but what I know of it is CWO "Gunner" Brown. He was the head of Marksmanship Training Unit at Parris Island when I was there in 89. We had a recruit complaining of rifle problems on the 500 yard line. Armorer took a look, but couldn't find anything wrong with it. Kid was still all over the target and complained more. Armorer still couldn't find anything wrong. Gunner Brown took the rifle from the armorer, stepped up to the firing line, adjusted himself with a tight loop sling, and put 1 round center of mass on the dog target from the standing off-hand position. Impressed the living daylights out of me.

As an afternote, the recruit was recycled after he went "Unq" on the range.

Brian D.
January 18, 2003, 06:20 PM
Sgt. Alvin York, of course.

Dan Morris
January 18, 2003, 06:46 PM
The exjarhead that got me into pistol shooting....deceased THP
trooper James L Dalrymple. 1st Marine Div....Chosin Res...Korea.
Guy never talked about....most didn't.I didn't ask....he didn't tell stories...had a Great relationship!I have no stories after Nam days either!He taught me well!
Dan

Dave Markowitz
January 18, 2003, 08:07 PM
Thomas Jefferson.

"As to the species of exercise, I recommend the gun. ... Let your gun be the constant companion of your walks."

Powderman
January 18, 2003, 08:22 PM
I have a few............

For rifles--who else?

GySgt Hathcock-- "White Feather"

For handguns:

Bill Jordan
Donald Hamilton (set a record at the Nat'l Matches that still stands)
"Jelly" Bryce--an FBI Agent with phenominal speed and accuracy
Ed McGivern--who set many records with DA revolvers
Jerry Miculek--who BROKE a lot of those records

And, the best for last--

My father, an old, one-eyed Cherokee who taught me about guns in the first place--and who was death on a stick with a .38 Colt Cobra, carried in the hip pocket.

gryphon
January 18, 2003, 09:20 PM
Mine is the guy that helped to open my eyes and got me into firearms.

A very good friend of mine, thanks J.S.:cool:

Zundfolge
January 18, 2003, 09:42 PM
Master Sgt. Gary Gordon and Sgt. First Class Randy Shughart both of the US Army's Delta Force

http://www.cmohs.org/recipients/somalia_citation.htm

may they rest in peace

(this forum needs a "salute" smilie)

Dave Williams
January 19, 2003, 04:35 AM
Mine is probably Elmer Keith. What an incredible life he had.

Dave

4570Rick
January 19, 2003, 04:47 AM
Be not afraid of any man who walks beneath the skies.
When danger threatens, call on me and I will equalize.
Samuel Colt

:cool:

rick458
January 19, 2003, 05:00 AM
I have to go with Carlos Hathcock,then Alvin York
but there are thousands of unsung heros that we will never know of

Politically Incorrect
January 19, 2003, 05:22 AM
Rosie O'Donnel.

If that fat :cuss: can be protected by a handgun, then why can't I? :neener:

8Balls
January 19, 2003, 06:46 AM
"My real life gun hero is the finnish WWII sniper, Simo Hayha.

http://www.mosin-nagant.net/Meeting-Legend.html "

One more vote for Simo Häyhä...

Glockster35
January 19, 2003, 07:40 AM
Charles Mawhinney (http://www.geocities.com/dfsnipercorps/mawhinney.htm)

A simple man from Oregon who did what he had to do, and simply disappeared. He never talked about it until recently.

I look up to a man like that, plus he's from my home state.

Smoke
January 19, 2003, 09:14 AM
C.W. (Ted) Williamson & J. Bruce parks

My Grandfathers.

Both gave me guns over the years and I inherited many after their deaths. They taught me safety, responsibility, marksmanship, and a love for guns that is with me today. They were both avid hunters but shared a preference for birds, something I have also.

I am in their debt.

jsalcedo
January 19, 2003, 10:01 AM
Skelton was the guy that got me hooked on gun magazines
and shooting. Terrific writer and overall character.

Moondancer
January 19, 2003, 10:41 AM
I've related it before, but Skeeter Skelton's article on "What's Right with Snubbies" got me into handguns. (Written in the extremely early 1970's, in the magazine Shooting Times.)

Elmer Keith and Bill Jordan both contributed as well.

4v50 Gary
January 19, 2003, 01:13 PM
John Moses Browning. God's Gun Prophet on Earth.
John C. Garand. Canadian who adopted us and had numerous patents to his name, all of which he did not attempt to profit from. Like Browning, noble in nature.

denfoote
January 19, 2003, 01:49 PM
Mine would have to be my father. A quiet man who learned to shoot from his uncle Oscar, a man whom I never met. Uncle Oscar was a WW-I sniper, who did what he had to do, came home and seldom touched a rifle again, except to impart his talent to my dad.

Dad was a crack shot, who kept rabbits out of his garden by head shooting them from 250-300 yards from the porch of his house with an old single shot Remington bolt action .22, that I had know idea he had until I was an adult!!! He taught me to shoot by renting guns at the range when I was but a wee sprite and never consented to purchasing me one. I think it was in deference to my mother, who is (she is still alive at 85) a "proper" eastern liberal.

Dad lived on 40 acres in extreme north eastern Arizona. Early on, he Bulldozed a berm into existence and turned it into a firing range. We spent many a round there until his untimely death at 82!!

MP-44
January 19, 2003, 01:59 PM
Theodore Roosevelt

Cliff
January 19, 2003, 02:12 PM
I'd have to say my father, I've mentioned him on this forum and others before. He taught me how to shoot,how to be considerate and fair to others,but most of all how to be a man. My father was a LEO in Kansas City, MO,hardworking,well respected,and plainspoken. As I grew older we grew closer. Besides shooting, he tought me how to pick up my brass,or sweep it up at the range,police my position at the range before I left,lots of little things that didn't stick as much when I was a kid,but I find myself doing everyday now. He tought me the sheer joy of shooting,and the responsiblity that goes with it. He passed away a year ago this month,and I try to honor his memory whenever I can.

http://home.mindspring.com/~cbeck715/_uimages/williesraceday.jpg

TheeBadOne
January 19, 2003, 02:57 PM
Lots of good stuff here. I'll add some more.

Ira Hayes- A common, quite man; who accomplished much in WW2 only to return home & face demons too powerful to overcome.

Chuck Conners- The Rifleman! Gosh, back in the good old days a show where a good guy carried a rifle all day and wasn't branded a Kook or a terrorist. The Rifleman got a lot of youngsters interested in firearms.

My father, who introduced me to firearms, hunting, and responsibility.

If you enjoyed reading about "Real Life Gun Heroes- who's yours?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!