Turn in your neighbor - Get $1000 form Newark

PDA

alaskanativeson
July 15, 2009, 04:20 PM
The first time I saw this I thought it HAD to be a parody of how screwed up anti-gunners are. A little research and I find it's real? This is the kind of stuff that brings revolutions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRyw1JnAstg

If you enjoyed reading about "Turn in your neighbor - Get $1000 form Newark" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Madcap_Magician
July 15, 2009, 04:21 PM
Never mind. :D

velojym
July 15, 2009, 05:35 PM
Anyone live near a gun-grabbing politician or bureaucrat? SPAM the lines!!!

:)

jimmyraythomason
July 15, 2009, 05:42 PM
I kept waiting for the "gotcha" while watching this video. Sadly,this may become commonplace and even acceptable,all in the name of "public safety".

Titan6
July 15, 2009, 05:43 PM
This was up last week.

jimmyraythomason
July 15, 2009, 05:53 PM
I never saw anything about it before so this is new(and very disturbing) to me.

THE DARK KNIGHT
July 15, 2009, 05:56 PM
Yeah, sadly that's real :(

LRaccuracy
July 15, 2009, 06:06 PM
Wow! I can't believe it. But I do believe it... Guns do not kill, people kill. You have to wonder what went wrong with their thinking.

To believe that guns kill people and not people kill people is absolutely absurd.

pharmer
July 15, 2009, 06:11 PM
Anyone want to bet the mayor folded the 10 Benjamins and put them in his pocket? Joe

Bailey Boat
July 15, 2009, 06:13 PM
I think you guys may have missed a critical word in his message. At about 1:20 he clearly states "illegal gun".........

rainbowbob
July 15, 2009, 06:14 PM
Does anyone here know what qualifies as an "illegal gun" in Newark?

For that matter...do the citizens in Newark know what qualifies as an illegal gun?

I predict a lot of disappointed snitches - and a lot of pissed off legal gun owners.

Then the city will declare it another overwhelming triumph of good over evil and quietly discontinue the program.

jimmyraythomason
July 15, 2009, 06:15 PM
And what constitutes an "illegal gun" in Newark,N.J.? How will the informant know if their neighbor's gun is legal or not?

Officers'Wife
July 15, 2009, 06:22 PM
Why am I suddenly having visions of Fahrenheit 451?

jdub3
July 15, 2009, 06:28 PM
We have had the same thing going in San Fran for over a year. So far, it has resulted in 0 guns being removed from circulation, legal or illegal.

doc2rn
July 15, 2009, 07:04 PM
its just a chance for the police to go into a home and ballistically see if that person has perpitrated a crime, sans judicial warrant for search because it was a tip!

THE DARK KNIGHT
July 15, 2009, 07:31 PM
As someone who lives ~5 miles from Newark NJ and works with many people from there, I can tell you all firsthand the average Newarker has NO IDEA what guns are legal or illegal.

When they hear what kinds of legal, registered, jersey gun control compliant guns I own, they think they are full auto instruments of mass destruction. And of course all the usual ghetto gun slang.

"yo dat clip's got hollows in it!"

Someone saw a picture of my Saiga rifle (when it was still fully neutered with the sporter stock on it) and asked "yo you can own a rifle? that's the ones that you pull the trigger and it sprays right?"

Nugilum
July 15, 2009, 07:34 PM
Wasn't that video similar to a bad joke line from the movie "The Running Man"?

"Turn in a family member, get double points!"

danprkr
July 15, 2009, 08:21 PM
Scary!

jhco
July 15, 2009, 09:01 PM
If I had a neighbor that had ILLEGAL guns, I would turn him in for $1000 and then once he got more guns I'd turn him in again and again. Whats wrong with that.

rainbowbob
July 16, 2009, 01:57 AM
If I had a neighbor that had ILLEGAL guns, I would turn him in for $1000...

jhco:

By "ILLEGAL" guns, do you mean guns your neighbor is not legally allowed to possess?

How do you know what guns your neighbor possesses that he is not legally allowed to possess?

ThePunisher'sArmory
July 16, 2009, 02:05 AM
***! I'm in agreeance what is an illegal gun, there are illegal possessors? But seriously, who else thinks this is "stimulus money" he's handing out?:D

slzy
July 16, 2009, 02:12 AM
even worse,somebody will wind up cutting a suspected snitches throat,who will be the wrong guy.

people will slip jennings in peoples gym bags and over coats.

Mags
July 16, 2009, 02:20 AM
Imagine how much ammo I could buy with 1000 bucks maybe I could even get a good deal on an AR 15. How ironic it would be if some low-life turned in his neighbor to purchase the same type of "illegal items".

THE DARK KNIGHT
July 16, 2009, 04:31 AM
'm in agreeance what is an illegal gun, there are illegal possessors?

In NJ, an illegal gun is anything NFA, anything that violates the Assault Weapons Ban, any unregistered handgun, or any ammo owned by someone without an FID card.

Grey_Mana
July 16, 2009, 05:58 AM
This ad appears on the city's official webpage, http://www.ci.newark.nj.us/
They even have a helpful most wanted list (http://www.npdmostwanted.com/Most_Wanted/Redirect_Page.html)! I'm going to report all those guys; if they ever catch them, free money.

Is 1-887 toll-free? Is an anonymous, untraced call probable cause? Can they go arrest somebody just based on the tip line?

Is asking lots of people where you can find illegal guns suspicious activity? Is flashing large amounts of money suspicious? If so, somebody should report Cory Booker, mayor of Newark.

On the other hand, it isn't really a bad idea. It's a good idea executed poorly. Cops should be trying to get violent armed criminals off the streets. I'd much rather they focus on criminals with guns than peaceful criminals. Citizens help themselves if they can get the bad elements off the streets. I would argue that anonymous is a bad thing. No one would argue that 'tell us what you know, we'll take any tip' is all the cops can expect in the way of help. Money does motivate. But the infomercial get-rich-quick style suggests that the mayor and government are no better than scammers.

Some parts of DC, Maryland, Jersey would be happy if the police were actually interested in getting gun-toting criminals off the streets. It's bad when residents think the cops don't care. Aggressive ads might convince people the cops want to do something.

Kind of Blued
July 16, 2009, 07:25 AM
On the other hand, it isn't really a bad idea.

If I had absolutely no respect for the Constitution of the United States and I thought The Gulag Archipelago was an idealistic, utopian summer read, I'd agree with you.

Guns and more
July 16, 2009, 11:13 AM
Meanwhile, Newark is a sanctuary city. It won't turn in Illegals to the feds.
Crime is out of control, partly due to gangs of illegals.
Remember the story of the four kids shot in a schoolyard? The story was killed when it turned out the shooter was an illegal. Yet the city does nothing.
How about, "Turn in an illegal, get $100."?

BMF500
July 16, 2009, 11:24 AM
$1000 for finding a guy an "illegal" gun huh? I know where there are thousands of illegal aliens. If I could get a $1 for each one of those finds I'd be a rich Mo-Fo. But apparently that's not a priority to the Government, federal, state, local, none of them.

jimmyraythomason
July 16, 2009, 11:28 AM
This cannot be justified at all. This is the same tactic used by the Nazis in WWII and the Soviets in Russia. There is NO WAY in H(a very hot place)L I would turn in a neighbor for execising his Constitutional RIGHTS!

jordan1948
July 16, 2009, 11:50 AM
Hahaha I flagged it as inappropriate :D

Sergeant Sabre
July 16, 2009, 12:10 PM
You guys apparently don't get it. I doubt the Mayor is asking people to turn fine Constitutional rangers such as yourself. He never asked anybody to call if your neighbor has a gun. He's talking about criminals carrying illegal guns. What he wants are gang-banging thugs who carry guns illegally. The kind that nobody will turn in because of the ghetto's "no-snitching" culture. That's what the $1000 is aimed at breaking.

Why is it when some dirtball gets whacked breaking into a home, all of you cheer, but when the authorities try to intercept said dirtball, you cry havoc?

jordan1948
July 16, 2009, 12:12 PM
Why is it when some dirtball gets whacked breaking into a home, all of you cheer, but when the authorities try to intercept said dirtball, you cry havoc? Just a theory here but after the said "dirtball" gets out of prison it's quite possible he/she will go back to their life of crime and continue breaking into houses.

22-rimfire
July 16, 2009, 12:29 PM
I'm not turning anyone in unless they threaten me. How would I know if a gun is legal or illegal?

bigalexe
July 16, 2009, 12:36 PM
Can i call in that the people behind me deal drugs, even though there probably isnt enough evidence for an arrest. This is utter instanity

Sergeant Sabre
July 16, 2009, 12:55 PM
I'm not turning anyone in unless they threaten me. How would I know if a gun is legal or illegal?

If he's dealing or using crack, committing a robbery, or any other felony, the gun is probably illegal.

Can i call in that the people behind me deal drugs, even though there probably isnt enough evidence for an arrest.

Yes, you can. People do it all the time. It's called a "tip".

Officers'Wife
July 16, 2009, 01:05 PM
Why is it when some dirtball gets whacked breaking into a home, all of you cheer, but when the authorities try to intercept said dirtball, you cry havoc?

Because it's clear the guy breaking into a home is a dirtball, the guy carrying a weapon on the street may or may not be. When my husband was stationed at Fort Myer I knew a number of people that carried concealed in DC. You would instantly label them 'dirtbags' for rightly being concern for their safety and taking steps. When a true 'dirtbag' is taken off the street I'll be the first to cheer. But I need more than your personal opinion the person involved fits the title.

If he's dealing or using crack, committing a robbery, or any other felony, the gun is probably illegal

And if he is committing a felony shouldn't the concern be the felony not the tools involved?

MT GUNNY
July 16, 2009, 02:05 PM
He said he need info to help stop Crime and that it would get you a 1000 bucks.
So I called and left an Anomalous Message, That all my Neighbors have guns and MT has Very little Gun Crime, and Maybe they should Abide by the 2Amendment and There Crime Would go Down. I have a Feeling I will not get $1000 Bucks.:cuss:

MT GUNNY
July 16, 2009, 02:12 PM
Why not have a "Call that Number Campaign" right now and Express sound common sense Methods for stopping Crime. as you see above Ive done it First, Who's Next ?

Be Polite:)

Carl N. Brown
July 16, 2009, 02:30 PM
slzy said: people will slip jennings in peoples gym bags and over coats

If you think noone would set up innocent (or stupid) people for a bounty, re-think. Buy a disposable "street gun" for under $100, plant it on some patsy, turn them in for $1000 reward = $900 clear profit. It has happened before.

Texas Ranger Frank Hamer had a run-in with the Banker's Assn back in the 1930s. The Bankers Assn was paying a bounty for dead bank robbers no questions asked. Hamer exposed that folks were setting up patsies and dupes to attempt bank robberies, killing them and collecting the banker's bounties.

The infamous 1971 Ken Ballew case in Silver Springs MD was based on a teenage informant reporting (legal) inert souvenir grenades and firearms as illegal. Anonymous tips on illegal weapons relies on anonymous lay persons knowing what's legal and illegal. A recipe for disaster.

Officers'Wife
July 16, 2009, 06:34 PM
Hi Carl Brown,

My first thought on reading this was have a partner carry a squirt gun then make the call. When the police investigate the partner immediately demands to see police ID, contact a lawyer and in general be a PITA insuring arrest and payment. Later when charges are dropped a clear profit.

Anytime a reward is offered in the 'interest of public safety' corruption is going to follow.

If you enjoyed reading about "Turn in your neighbor - Get $1000 form Newark" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!