243 or 6.5x55

PDA

viking499
July 15, 2009, 07:34 PM
If you could only have one of the above, which would it be? Either caliber would come in a CZ or Tikka. No other brands are being looked at.:eek:

I know some will say that 243 ammo is more readily available, but I am going to reload for either. I already have plenty of factory ammo for each and reloading supplies for each.

Is anyone loading any 100 +/- grain loads for the swede and having good luck?(Under 120 grain)

If you enjoyed reading about "243 or 6.5x55" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DRYHUMOR
July 15, 2009, 07:40 PM
I had a .243, in fact, I think I had 2 alltogether.

I have a 6.5X55. It's a keeper.

You going stainless or blue?

Ol` Joe
July 15, 2009, 08:52 PM
Grab the Swede.

BENELLIMONTE
July 15, 2009, 09:01 PM
I have shot several doe mule deer here in Idaho with 243 Winchester rifles. Never any problems with dropping the deer within1- 2 shots. I wouldn't want to ever take a shot with my 243 Win that was any longer than 300yds or so. Within that range it is an excellent low recoil rifle for any game up to antelope & mule deer. For anything larger; say really big mule deer, caribou or cow elk I would go with the Tikka T3 in 6.5x55 with 120grain Nosler Partition.

Ramsgate
July 15, 2009, 09:17 PM
I had one .243 ... it's long gone. I have two 6.5x55 and they are staying. But I suppose a person could be well pleased with either.

smcd1983
July 15, 2009, 09:43 PM
ymmv but id get a 6.5 sweede

Arkel23
July 15, 2009, 10:09 PM
Get the 6.5x55.

viking499
July 16, 2009, 12:15 AM
Already have a Tikka stainless swede. Thinking of adding a CZ to the herd and getting rid of the 243. My son and wife both have a 243, so it's not like I would be without one.:rolleyes:

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 16, 2009, 12:18 AM
If you could only have one of the above, which would it be?

Depends. Are you asking: If I could only have one of those two, but could also have a lot of other calibers? If so, how many others?

Or, are you asking: If I could only have one of those two, and it's my only centerfire hunting rifle I could own?

Or something else?

viking499
July 16, 2009, 12:22 AM
Just choosing between those two.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 16, 2009, 12:25 AM
That didn't answer my question.

viking499
July 16, 2009, 12:30 AM
But that's the question I asked.

"If you could only have one of the above, which would it be? "

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 16, 2009, 12:56 AM
Dude. You don't get it. You can have "only one" of those two and still have 20 other guns, in completely different calibers. That's ONE possibility. Do I have a big bore? Do I have a .223? Do I have a .22 hornet? A .22 magnum? A .22 long rifle? Is that what you mean? Nevermind; you cannot answer a simple question, so nevermind. Sheesh OP.

jerkface11
July 16, 2009, 01:31 AM
Dude. You don't get it. You can have "only one" of those two and still have 20 other guns, in completely different calibers. That's ONE possibility. Do I have a big bore? Do I have a .223? Do I have a .22 hornet? A .22 magnum? A .22 long rifle? Is that what you mean? Nevermind; you cannot answer a simple question, so nevermind. Sheesh OP.

Wow rude much?

To the OP I'd go with the 6.5x55 but I'm in love with that bullet diameter.

Paradiddle
July 16, 2009, 01:52 AM
The Swede is a fantastic rifle round.

natman
July 16, 2009, 04:11 AM
But that's the question I asked.

"If you could only have one of the above, which would it be? "

Seems to me if you ask a question, and someone politely asks for clarification that a more polite and informative answer is called for.

6.5 if you are hunting

243 if target shooting (ammo is easier to find)

viking499
July 16, 2009, 09:25 AM
To me, the question seems simple. I just asked about the 2 calibers. Not looking at a safe full of various calibers or an empty closet. Just 2 calibers. Sometimes things are simple. Sometimes people try to complicate simple things.

So to ME, I do get it. 2 calibers, one choice, you choose. No other inside or outside influences.

If I have been rude to someone, I apologize. And I can answer a question. All I asked was one question.........don't care how many different shades of blue the sky could be, just wondering if it is blue or not. Sort of like a yes or no question. 2 choices, one answer. No other reasoning needed.

But if you still don't undertand my question , then look at it as this is the only gun you can have with you right now. No other calibers anywhere in the stable.

NCsmitty
July 16, 2009, 10:54 AM
The range of available bullets, 85gr-160gr, and the reputation for deep penetration, gives the Swede an obvious advantage over the 243 for big game hunting. Most notably for the larger species of deer that inhabit the more northern reaches of the country.
Smaller 80-100lb Texas deer are often taken with 22 centerfires.

The 243 is a great dual purpose round, adequate for deer, and a superb varmint caliber.

NCsmitty

Vern Humphrey
July 16, 2009, 11:05 AM
The significance of the discussion is that the .243 is designed to be a dual-purpose cartridge, designed for both long-range varmit hunting and for deer-sized critters. The 6.5X55 is not so versatile for varmit hunting.

So if I had a varmit rifle, I'd go with the 6.5X55. If I did not, and didn't seem likely to get one soon, I might choose the .243.

natman
July 16, 2009, 01:13 PM
To me, the question seems simple. I just asked about the 2 calibers. Not looking at a safe full of various calibers or an empty closet. Just 2 calibers. Sometimes things are simple. Sometimes people try to complicate simple things.

So to ME, I do get it. 2 calibers, one choice, you choose. No other inside or outside influences.

If I have been rude to someone, I apologize. And I can answer a question. All I asked was one question.........don't care how many different shades of blue the sky could be, just wondering if it is blue or not. Sort of like a yes or no question. 2 choices, one answer. No other reasoning needed.

But if you still don't undertand my question , then look at it as this is the only gun you can have with you right now. No other calibers anywhere in the stable.

The problem is that it's not a YES or NO question. Which caliber is better? The answer depends on FOR WHAT?

Varmints? Coyotes? Deer? Targets? ????????

viking499
July 16, 2009, 01:48 PM
Around here we have deer, coyotes, and ground hogs that catch the crosshairs the most. Every once in awhile, paper and cans will jump out there too.

Matrix187
July 16, 2009, 02:04 PM
I would choose 6.5x55 swede. It's a great all around caliber. Is it very common in the US? Or is buying online and reloading the best bet? In the near future I'm looking at a CZ 550 in .30-06 or 6.5x55.

Maverick223
July 16, 2009, 02:19 PM
Depending upon the usage (assuming for deer) and other rifles available (for other game) I would choose the Swede in the CZ 550 Mannlicher. The CZ is a great proven action and has a good fit and finish. On the other hand, I think if and only if you live in the south and want a small deer/varmint cartridge the .243 is a great caliber...and despite your firearm choice I would go with the Winchester Featherweight (not available in 6.5 Swede). YMMV, Mav. :)

ArmedBear
July 16, 2009, 02:22 PM
There's no reason I can see to get any short-action round in a Tikka, which uses a long action either way.

If you go with a CZ, one of the best arguments for getting the thing (apart from it being a generally nice, CRF rifle), is the 6.5 Swede.

Marginal round whose primary attraction is that it has low recoil, vs. one of the world's great all-purpose hunting rounds?

To me, it would be no contest.

Vern Humphrey
July 16, 2009, 04:21 PM
The problem is that it's not a YES or NO question. Which caliber is better? The answer depends on FOR WHAT?

Varmints? Coyotes? Deer? Targets? ????????
That's why I gave the answer I did in #19. If you plan to hunt varmits and deer-sized critters and don't have a dedicated varmit rifle, the .243 is best because it was designed to fill both roles.

If you don't care about hunting varmits, or already have a dedicated varmit rifle, the 6.5X55 is the way to go.

ArmedBear
July 16, 2009, 04:27 PM
What is it about varmints and wanting a "dual-purpose" rifle?

A .243 will kill them, but a 6.5 Swede won't, or something?

Seems to me a .30-06 will kill a groundhog as dead as a .243, but maybe I'm missing something.:D

Maverick223
July 16, 2009, 04:59 PM
A .243 will kill them, but a 6.5 Swede won't, or something?...Seems to me a .30-06 will kill a groundhog as dead as a .243, but maybe I'm missing something.I think the key for a varmint rifle is a flat shooting cartridge for the longer shots, the added heft of a larger caliber won't make an appreciable difference but the velocity and a good BC will help out quite a bit. Unlike target shooting a P/G-dog or a coyote isn't going to stand around while you dial in the dope on that pumpkin chunker (not saying that is necessarily a 6.5 Swede, but the .243 is a little better). :)

Vern Humphrey
July 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
For vamit hunting, you're shooting at little critters, close to the ground. Bullets designed for bigger game will usuall penetrate completely and are highly likely to ricochet. That's dangerous. Varmit bullets, on the other hand are quite frangible and will disintegrate -- for example, a 35-grain Hornady V-Max fired at 3,000 fps from my .22 Hornet will not make it through a crow (but the crow is definitely dead.) The danger of ricochet is much reduced.

For larger calibers, the selection of light weight (for high velocity), accurate, frangible bullets is quite limited. The .243 was designed for both heavy and light bullets and does very well as a varmiter. Its closest competitor, the .244 Remington, was designed as a pure varmiter. It has too slow a rifling twist to shoot heavier bullets needed for deer and similar critters -- and it really never was very popular.

The 6.5X55 is on the other end of the spectrum -- designed for heavy bullets (originally for 160 grains), few varmit bullets are available for it, it has a tight twist that can rupture the jackets of fragile bullets and it really doesn't shine as a varmiter.

Paradiddle
July 16, 2009, 05:11 PM
think the key for a varmint rifle is a flat shooting cartridge for the longer shots, the added heft of a larger caliber won't make an appreciable difference but the velocity and a good BC will help out quite a bit. Unlike target shooting a P/G-dog or a coyote isn't going to stand around while you dial in the dope on that pumpkin chunker (not saying that is necessarily a 6.5 Swede, but the .243 is a little better).

The Swede is a very accurate long range round though. I understand the mass of the bullet, but it will reach out with the best of them.

Vern Humphrey
July 16, 2009, 06:01 PM
The Swede is a very accurate long range round though. I understand the mass of the bullet, but it will reach out with the best of them.
The key needs are high velocity (for flat trajectory) and a very frangible bullet (to devastate a small critter and break up if it misses.) It's tough to design a bullet that meets those criteria for the Swede's fast-twist barrel.

Look at it this way -- you could shoot prarie dogs with a .45-70 (and get a hell of a lot of ricochets.) But it's not what 99% of varmit hunters would choose.

Another factor is recoil. There's a reason cartridges like the .204 Ruger and the .223 Rem (and the old .22 Hornet) are so popular. With the mild recoil, you can actually spot your own shots. And a day's shooting isn't so punishing.

ArmedBear
July 16, 2009, 06:05 PM
Look at it this way -- you could shoot prarie dogs with a .45-70 (and get a hell of a lot of ricochets.) But it's not what 99% of varmit hunters would choose.

Ricochets be damned. Ever try to shoot small game with a .45-70 at a good distance? That trajectory is a bitch!:)

Another factor is recoil. There's a reason cartridges like the .204 Ruger and the .223 Rem (and the old .22 Hornet) are so popular. With the mild recoil, you can actually spot your own shots. And a day's shooting isn't so punishing.

True. However, this kind of varmint shooting isn't done with a rifle you'd want to use for much, if anything, else. How long can you shoot a sporter-weight .243 before you have to cool it for a while, particularly if you are shooting long-range p-dogs?

The frangible bullet thing really makes sense, especially in some environments.

Vern Humphrey
July 16, 2009, 06:18 PM
Ricochets be damned.
You wouldn't say that if you'd been where I've been. I was a member of a very active gun club in Virginia. One day, some elbow wth a genuine double-barreled elephant rifle, in violation of the safety rules put a target on the ground. The bullet ricocheted over the backstop and hit a house more than a half mile away. You can't imagine the grief that caused us!
Ever try to shoot small game with a .45-70 at a good distance? That trajectory is a bitch!
Which is why you need a small bullet at high velocity.
How long can you shoot a sporter-weight .243 before you have to cool it for a while, particularly if you are shooting long-range p-dogs?
I've seen people fire a hundred rounds or more before lunch -- and pour water through the bore with a funnel and tube arrangement every so often.

natman
July 16, 2009, 06:28 PM
Around here we have deer, coyotes, and ground hogs that catch the crosshairs the most. Every once in awhile, paper and cans will jump out there too.

OK, for coyotes and groundhogs the 243 would be better. The 6.5 would be better for deer, especially if you handload and have a modern rifle.

Both would work for anything you have listed.

ArmedBear
July 16, 2009, 06:31 PM
Some places around here, the ground is a great place to put a target. The bullet plows to a halt in the fine dirt or lava rock, instead of flying a half a mile.

I've seen people fire a hundred rounds or more before lunch -- and pour water through the bore with a funnel and tube arrangement every so often.

LOL

Never seen that, nor known anyone who'd do it.

NCsmitty
July 16, 2009, 06:47 PM
My 6.5x55 is more than capable of shooting a 95gr V-Max at 3200fps using H414 out of it's 1in9 twist 26" heavy barrel. The 95gr V-Max has a BC of .365 and is very flat shooting, and truly explosive on target, being a varmint bullet.

It's potentially superior to a 243 as a dual purpose round, in a modern firearm.

A Tikka or CZ in 6.5x55, loaded to normal pressures, will be all you need. They need not be restricted to M96 Swede Mauser pressure limits.

My rifle is too heavy to carry hunting though.

NCsmitty

106rr
July 17, 2009, 04:29 AM
If you buy the CZ in 6.5x55 you can avoid buying magazines and spend your money on better optics. Both the CZ and Tikka use magazines in 243 and both are long action which might limit resale and convenience. The Tikka 6.5x55 also uses a magazine. The Tikka mags are expensive.
The other critical issue is ammo. If you reload the 6.5x55 is the hands down winner. If you only buy ammo at WalMart the 243 takes the cake. 6.5x55 ammo was has been easily available in the shortage though. You can also buy cheap ammo for the 6.5x55 from S&B, PriviPartisan or Wolf.

TheGrimReaper
July 17, 2009, 05:55 PM
+1 for the 6.5x55!!!

cowhide1
July 17, 2009, 11:27 PM
6.5x55 is THE BEST round I have fired. By all means get the swede!

huntman
July 17, 2009, 11:31 PM
i kinda agree with 6.5 but y hunt with this round when you have 30 cal rifle around why take a chance with a varmit round maybe you are that good of a shot but still i dont turkey hunt with a 410 hum

Oldtrader3
July 18, 2009, 11:11 AM
From my perspective, the .243 is minimal for deer. The 6.5x55 is a much more versatile general hunting caliber for medium game. Is that simple enough?

viking499
August 16, 2009, 03:59 PM
Picked up a CZ swede the other day. Now I have 2. :what: That should keep me content in the 6.5x55 dept. for a while.

Also had a 452 follow me home the same day. Always heard about CZ's multiplying, but didn't know they would do it before they got home.:evil:

Girodin
August 16, 2009, 04:30 PM
Sometimes things are simple. Sometimes people try to complicate simple things.

And sometimes people are too ignorant to consider all the factors that would help them make the best choice.

2 choices, one answer. No other reasoning needed.

With out factoring in all the relavant factors you get a pretty worthless answer. I might tell you that I would obviously get the .243 and that the 6.5 is not even worth considering. That would be because I greatly prefer varmint hunting to big game and when I do hunt deer I use a muzzle loader (plus I already have other good deer guns). Does that answer mean much to you if your end goals is to shoot white tails and you have a .223, 22 Hornet, a 22-250, 204 ruger etc already in your safe.

As was pointed out above this still doesn't provide the most important info, what will you be using it for.

The problem of asking which would you rather have outside of any external influences is that the answer depends entirely on external influences. Certain calibers and guns are better for certain uses.

If I already had a good deer rifle and wanted to shoot varmints .243 If I already had a 22-250 and wanted to shoot deer I would not have to think twice about getting the swede.

If I had no guns and was looking for a dual purpose gun it would depend on other factors. How much do I do of each thing, what type of deer are we talking about, a big mule deer is very different from a small white tail.

I'm not sure why someone asking for more info to give a better answer was deemed so objectionable. In fact one of the things that repeatedly amuses me is that people will ask for opinions on a gun and people will start spouting off with out having an information about what the intended use is. Given what you want people to base their response on you might as well flip a coin. People will at best tell you what suits them not you, and unless they elaborate as to why even that info is of very limited value.

Redneck with a 40
August 16, 2009, 04:55 PM
Ammo availability is a whole lot better with the .243, but for long range target shooting, the 6.5 has superior ballistics. The 6.5 can probably take larger game too, I think the Swede's shoot moose with it.:)

3pairs12
August 16, 2009, 05:12 PM
If I were choosing a gun between those 2 calibers, and lets just say I have the guns that I currently have, I would go with 6.5.

Uncle Mike
August 16, 2009, 05:25 PM
Behind door 1... the .243.

Behind door 2... the 6.5X55.

I choose door number..... 2

I like the 6.5X55.... I would choose the 6.5X55 between the two mentioned cartridges...

...what was your question...? lol ... jus kiddn'

nathan
August 16, 2009, 05:29 PM
I have my son's Rem Youth in .243 and its zeroed with a Bushnell scope. Less than an inch with WInchester Super x at 100 yds. Havent gotten a deer with it yet.

oneounceload
August 16, 2009, 06:15 PM
I still have my 96 Swede, don't have my Ruger No. 1 RSI in 243 (MY mistake)....while I like the Swede - if you're more concerned with critters and paper, I would take the 243. If you're going to do more deer hunting, then the Swede gets the nod

Arkel23
August 16, 2009, 07:45 PM
6.5x55mm.

berettashotgun
August 16, 2009, 08:10 PM
260 is out?:cuss:
I don't own a 6.5 anything, love the 243 with a 1-8 twist.
A 105gr. from a 243 AI is so good at long range, but the 6MM remmy is my FAVORITE.
Of the 2 calibers listed I'd take the 243 because I have quite a bit of experience with it. Ditto on the modified 6.5 swede - the 244 remmy aka 6mm remmy.
Nothing against either choice - heck, in 25-30 years who knows which will be worth more on the market?
Those 28ga. Winchesters sure seem to draw a Kings ransom.:cuss:

SlamFire1
August 16, 2009, 08:28 PM
Ain't no 243's around here. Only 6.5 X 55.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/M700%20Remingtons/M70065X55calibermarking.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/M70%20pics/M7065X55calibermarking.jpg

viking499
August 16, 2009, 10:09 PM
Thank you all for the input.

If I ask ignorant questions, sorry, but sometimes I guess I do that. If my questions are to stupid to understand, then don't respond. Not trying to be a smart***. Just looking at it as a simple question, sorry if you think I was a jerk about it.

I weighed both options and at this particular time, the swede fits my purpose.

Again, thanks for the replies. Keep on offering input if you would like.

ruger700
August 16, 2009, 10:34 PM
"If you could only have one of the above, which would it be? Either caliber would come in a CZ or Tikka. No other brands are being looked at."

Sir, I would select the CZ in 6.5 swede. I have a Remington 700 243, a Winchester Model 70 243 and a CZ 527 in 223. Based on my experience with these rifles and calibers, I would select the CZ swede and enjoy the experience.

6.5x55swedish
September 11, 2009, 08:20 PM
The swedish hands down.... comparing a swede to a 243 is like comparing Faith Hill to a hooker with AIDS.

Mr_Pale_Horse
September 12, 2009, 01:26 AM
6,5x55mm Skål

foudufoot
September 13, 2009, 09:13 PM
Ditto for the Swede. VERSATILITY!! Varmint to moose, target to sniping...

NCsmitty
September 13, 2009, 10:11 PM
That's a very nice collection foudufoot. Congratulations.

I have a M38 Husky Swede, and a custom 98 heavy barrel VZ24 in 6.5 Swede.

NCsmitty

deerhunter61
September 14, 2009, 12:27 AM
I would go with the Swede. This will be the second year I will be hunting with mine. I took it out to the range a few weeks ago to shoot it using my deer hunting round and here is the results...5 shot group. And oh by the way it is a CZ. I love their SST!

deerhunter61
September 14, 2009, 12:42 AM

Recoil? And you are talking about the 6.5x55 Swede? Surely you jest....

jjohnson
September 14, 2009, 01:41 PM
Yeah, the Swedes still use theirs for target - it is an inherently accurate round - as well as for hunting MOOSE - and it's been doing that for well over a century, with nobody whining about the bullet not doing its job.

Not knocking the .243 at all - but you can do an awful lot with the Swede. If you're planning on shooting varmints, okay, but the Swede has an almost legendary reputation in Europe - recoil is quite moderate, too.

Oh, and by the way, don't apologize - it's a good question and worth asking.

Mr_Pale_Horse
September 14, 2009, 02:44 PM
foudofoot,

Nice Dog :D

litman252
September 14, 2009, 04:03 PM
If you only shoot at anything above the 180-200lb mark once in a great deal and it's a white-tail or a muely, then the 243 is ok. If deer and bigger are your focus then the sweede wins easy.

I'd go .243 w/ the uses you stated, but if the bigger deer or Elk are you goals later and it's only the one gun go Sweede as you have done.

I love my Sweede, but don't shoot paper for fun, have a 25-06 for light and quick handling little things and have easy access to a .223. The sweede is the BEST of the light calibers for me!! The bigger guns now keep the dust off the Sweede in the safe..............

Tony

Huntin'Gun
September 14, 2009, 05:35 PM
So, you're only going to have 1 rifle. It will either be a .243 or a 6.5x55. Then definately get the 6.5x55. I have one in a Tikka T3 Hunter. I have a handload with 125 gr Nosler Partitions going over 2900 fps. Shoots great. I think it that load would put down an elk. It's on the marginal end of things, so I haven't [and won't] try it, but I think it could do it. If I were doing varmints and plinking, I'd load up with 95 grain Hornady Interlocks. There's nothing the .243 could do that the 6.5x55 can't. But there's a lot the 6.5x55 can do that the .243 can't.

Vern Humphrey
September 14, 2009, 05:43 PM
In Scandanavia, the 6.5X55 is one of the most popular cartridges for hunting alg (which are actually moose.) Of course, hunters must pass a shooting test, and that probably makes them better able to use what we might consider a "light" cartridge.

foudufoot
September 19, 2009, 12:59 AM
Thanks Pale Horse & NCSmitty. :) Max likes the fullstocks, especially the Swedish type.;) I still want a CZ full-stock in 6.5x55 or 9.3x62 mm. Those are some SWEET looking and shooting rifles! Nice shooting deerhunter61! Is that CZ scoped? What distance?

Which do you prefer, 6.5x55swedish? Faith Hill or the alterrnative?:D

TheGrimReaper
September 19, 2009, 01:57 AM
+1 on the 6.5x55!!!

GunTech
September 19, 2009, 10:20 PM
I shoot the 260 Remington, which is close to the Swede, though if you hand load and have a modern action, you can get more from the Swede.

I would pick the Swede over the 253 any day. I've shot everything from 85gn hollow points to 142gn FMJ. Don;'t let anyone tell you the Swede won;t do Varmints. Your barrel twist is what's going to limit you.

As far as long range, 6.5 has a huge selection of high BC bullets that make it the choice of long range shooters.

107gn SMK or 108 Lapua scenar work great for PDs. The 140gn SP will reliably kill elk.

CB900F
September 20, 2009, 12:35 AM
Viking499;

Let me put it this way: I shoot off the left shoulder, go try to find a left hand bolt 6.5 Swede. The only one's even remotely available are European and rather expensive. So, obviously I'm voting the .243, right?

Nope, I've got a thing about not dating AIDs ridden hookers. I'm having a custom LHB 6.5 built on a Tikka action. At least this way I get to spend the money in increments over a coupla years.

900F

If you enjoyed reading about "243 or 6.5x55" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!