1903 Mauser

PDA

hunter82
July 16, 2009, 01:28 PM
Hey everyone. I have been a lurker for a while but this is my first post.

I have seen all the talk about the old mauser rifles and it got me to thinking.
I have an old mauser rifle in 8mm and was wondering can you take the barrel off and put a new barrel for a different caliber on it. Same goes for the trigger.
Was thinking about making a long range or benchrest gun.
Thanks for the help.

If you enjoyed reading about "1903 Mauser" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jimmyraythomason
July 16, 2009, 01:47 PM
Is this rifle complete? Meaning is it still in original form? Also is it a Model 1903 or is it a Gew 98 manufactured in 1903?

hunter82
July 16, 2009, 02:33 PM
http://turkmauser.com/03/

The bolt is very similar to what is shown here.
When I got the rifle much of the engraving on the receiver face had been removed (don't know why this was done) and the stock had already been cut. The stock doesn't look like the one in the picture-more of a standard rifle stock look.

Jimfern
July 16, 2009, 02:38 PM
If you have the tools and time, you can change the barrel or pay a gun smith to do it. If the gun shoots well, I would just enjoy it as is. The cost to modify it, including putting sights or a scope bases on it, will make you spend the cost of a new rifle and then some.

Unless you are emotionally tied to it, you might consider selling it and buying exactly what you want. I love mausers, and have more than I care to admit to, including two actions and two barrels - 338-06 and 7mm-08 that I hope to eventually finish, but I have learned that gun smithing takes a great deal of patience, which I can only apply in spurts.

dirtyjim
July 16, 2009, 07:44 PM
the 1903 turk action's make very classy open sight rifles because of the high charger hump, but i would pass on a scoped build on a 1903 turk because of that same feature.
if the rear bridge has already been modified then it would make no difference.
you can change the barrel but you will need to keep in mind that the 03 turk has small ring threads & that will limit your options on pre-threaded short chambered aftermarket barrels but will not be a problem if you start off with a contoured barrel blank.
standard mauser 98 triggers interchange & the bolt is a intermediate length

NCsmitty
July 16, 2009, 08:12 PM
Welcome to THR, hunter82.

Does the receiver of your Mauser have the bullet tip cutout in it like the picture shows at the site you mentioned? It was part of the conversion for the 1903 Turk, to the 8mm cartridge, performed around 1938.
It was a German manufactured action, produced for the Turks.

I have one myself, in original condition but with a Yugo 48 bolt.

NCsmitty

jimmyraythomason
July 16, 2009, 08:16 PM
What are some of the markings in the rifle? So far we are assuming that it is a TURK based on the 1903 which MAY NOT be the model but the manufacturing date and because it LOOKS like the picture(so do MOST Mausers).

hunter82
July 20, 2009, 10:54 AM
I will have to get the rifle and take some pictures of it sometime so you can see the markings.

If you enjoyed reading about "1903 Mauser" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!