Useful or mall ninja?

PDA

cbrgator
July 16, 2009, 03:18 PM
I don't have any special scenario. Just thinking in general. Do vests like these serve a function, or is it for the tacticoolios out there.
http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss26/eclipsetactical/vd_tac1.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Useful or mall ninja?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
meytind
July 16, 2009, 03:59 PM
I find them useful enough in the sense that they can hold a bunch of magazines and keep the readily accessible. They're convenient.

skoro
July 16, 2009, 04:01 PM
For infantrymen on patrol in a combat zone: useful

For everyone else: mall ninja :D

CoRoMo
July 16, 2009, 04:05 PM
Well... vests like these do have a use, but outside of combat or competition, it's all mall ninja.

Madcap_Magician
July 16, 2009, 04:05 PM
It's of limited use to infantrymen on patrol. Our IBAs have MOLLE attachments all over, so most of us skip the vest deal and just attach pouches and holsters and such straight to our armor.

YMMV.

THE DARK KNIGHT
July 16, 2009, 04:06 PM
Mall Ninja.

BlayGlock
July 16, 2009, 04:07 PM
I uses one when I used to play airsoft, if not it screams mall ninja.

c919
July 16, 2009, 04:08 PM
Useful...... If you live in Peshawar.

...or have some job/hobby that requires a myriad of tactical pocket solutions systems.

Geez, that thing is ninja to the core.

EDIT: -And by "in general", do you mean like wearing it to the movies or dinner?

BMF500
July 16, 2009, 04:14 PM
I would have said vigilante, but, Mall Ninja, LOL!!!!! I just learned something new!

CoRoMo
July 16, 2009, 04:16 PM
by "in general", do you mean like wearing it to the movies or dinner?

Now THAT'S funny!!

THE DARK KNIGHT
July 16, 2009, 04:22 PM
BMF500 check this out.

The original mall ninja:
(WARNING: do not drink any liquids while reading this or you will ruin your keyboard)

http://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/

...I went to “condition red,” and discretely unholstered my Glock17 loaded with Black Talons. I motioned to my partner to sweep right to flank the arcade, but he was already in motion sensing the trouble in my facial expression. My partner drew his S&W 1006 and went prone behind a potted palm tree.I crept towards the arcade, when the power went out. It was an ambush! I could still see relatively well due to the full moon, shining through the building’s skylights, and years in a dark secret Russian prison center had honed my natural night vision to that of a tomcat.A perp popped up from behind the Orange Julius counter with a full auto Kalashnikov with a 75rd drum, and opened up in the direction of my partner, meanwhile two perps popped up from behind the skeeball machine with sawed off 12 gauges. Another two perps appeared on the upper level and brought down hell-fire on us from above. One had a Winchester Model 70 in .30-06 with a 10x scope and the other was laying down suppressive fire with a Mac10 variant. The perps were all sporting cheap russian NVGs.I dove under a metal bench, and lined my sights on the AK bandit. A double-tap to the chest, and a quick follow-up to the head brought him down like a sack of potatos. My partner had been hit in the leg by some buckshot but he kept fighting like a champ, he took out one of the shotgunners with a 10mm hollowpoint to the temple, while I started unloading into the glass partition that surrounded the upper level. When the sniper ran for cover I drew a bead on him, adjusted for distance, and dropped two into his abdomen. The Mac-man ran for it, at the sight of the bloody guts pouring out his partner’s stomach.I did a quick tactical reload, grabbed the 870P from the harness on my back, and did some rolls over to the movie theater and back flipped over the concession counter while unloading the 5 rounds of 000 into the skeeball machine. My partner was pinned down, I tossed the empty 870, and realized I couldn’t hit the remaining perp due to my the poor angle of attack. I had to act fast or my partner was done for...

BMF500
July 16, 2009, 04:32 PM
OMG!!! That is hillarious!!!!! Thanks Dark Knight, I see these guys all the time at the gun shops/shows. Tacked out to the max, I never knew what to call them....

THE DARK KNIGHT
July 16, 2009, 04:49 PM
LOL yeah

jnyork
July 16, 2009, 04:55 PM
I see these guys all the time at the gun shops/shows. Tacked out to the max, I never knew what to call them....

Now you know! :D Makes you look at the silly twits in a whole new way. ;)

danprkr
July 16, 2009, 05:06 PM
Had a buddy who was a photographer when there was real film used. He had one that he'd stock with rolls of film, lenses, lighting sensors that sort of things when did weddings, sporting events etc, but he's the only person I EVER knew that needed one of those things.

freakshow10mm
July 16, 2009, 05:13 PM
Unless your daily life entails getting shot at, it's MJ all the way.

Madcap_Magician
July 16, 2009, 05:16 PM
Even then not really, since there's no point wearing one of those in a combat zone without a plate carrier.

DMK
July 16, 2009, 05:18 PM
I'm all for having a go-to gun with a 20 or 30 round mag in case of a Katrina or Rodney King Riot type situation, and maybe even a spare mag on the buttstock or in a pocket, but honestly, why would a civilian ever need to carry that many mags on his/her person? :confused:

Straight Shooter
July 16, 2009, 05:30 PM
Mall Ninja with bad taste :D

cbrgator
July 16, 2009, 05:36 PM
I knew it was Mall Ninja. But on another forum, somebody posted them for sale and the forum members gobbled them up. I therefore had to ask myself if they offered some functionality that I didn't understand. I couldn't think of any and thus asked you guys. Thanks for confirming. :)

texas bulldog
July 16, 2009, 05:37 PM
you mean a "shoot me" vest? that's mall ninja all the way, bro...

Acera
July 16, 2009, 05:38 PM
Are those pouches big enough to hold Hostess Cupcakes and bottles of Snapple?

BossHaug
July 16, 2009, 05:48 PM
Maybe a hiker needing a place to put all the granola bars, water bottles, squirrel food, pocket monocular, light stix, solar radio, fire-starter kit, snakebite kit, cell phone, solar cell charger, emergency flare, space blanket, asprin, (ahh, the list goes on)...

DMK
July 16, 2009, 05:52 PM
I knew it was Mall Ninja. But on another forum, somebody posted them for sale and the forum members gobbled them up. Let me guess, AR15.com?

Tim the student
July 16, 2009, 05:52 PM
Useless till Red Dawn is for real.

Well not useless, anyone wearing that (not in combat, or training for combat - in the Armed forces) will amuse me, so that could be its use.

Roadwild17
July 16, 2009, 06:02 PM
It does have a real use. Someone gave me one a while back, I just stick my mags in there so I know where they are. No more missplaced mags. And Im always willing to be RAMBO for Halloween.

Seriously though, the thing is probably good for getting you shot in a real life situation. Please do go outside with it.

ArfinGreebly
July 16, 2009, 06:05 PM
If you want something a little more style but still have your pockets, you can always look at the Scott-E-Vest products.

Originally designed for tucking away all manner of personal electronics, they can be used for other convenience purposes.

cbrgator
July 16, 2009, 06:08 PM
Not really interested in any vests. I was just surprised at how quickly they sold, it got me wondering if I was missing something.

For those who asked, it was on The Firing Line actually.

1987rx7guy
July 16, 2009, 06:16 PM
Not necessarily this exact item but LBE vests have their uses. I don't know what your 'in general' means. If you mean for daily use, they are worthless outside of SHTF situations. If you are taking a trip out to a remote personal/public area that you use for tactical games/competition/training then they could be useful for that purpose. Something with MOLLE(sp?) attachment stuff would be better IMO so that you could adjust and change the vest as the situation dictates. Its a bit hard to carry 8 mags for an AK/AR and 4-6 sidearm mags plus your sidearm without one. Not to mention a utility tool/knife. Emergency radio/cell phone would also fit nicely in most cross-draw vests.

Trust me its much better to have that stuff on you than having to walk back and forth 1-200 yards to the truck/tent/table/"HQ" to reload your one/two mags that you have on you without an LBE.

Pilot
July 16, 2009, 06:17 PM
In the plane, flying over the Rockies other inhospitable terrain? Useful as a survival vest. Around town? MALL NINJA.

DHJenkins
July 16, 2009, 06:22 PM
They're useful in combat or for a halloween party.

Other than that...

indie
July 16, 2009, 06:24 PM
is batman considered a mall ninja or just freaking awesome?

indie
July 16, 2009, 06:25 PM
but id walk around feeling sheepish wearing that in anything short of the apocalypse

JImbothefiveth
July 16, 2009, 06:27 PM
What situation? For infantry they're useful. They could also be useful for hunters.

flrfh213
July 16, 2009, 06:37 PM
i bet he got cold and that is all that was avalible..... LMAOROTF...

Black Knight
July 16, 2009, 07:42 PM
I could see it being useful on a day hike or similiar. The pouches could hold items such as first aid kit, snake bite kit, maps or GPS, or maybe even dehydrated food. You should also carry at least one good canteen. This might aleviate the need of a large backpack.

Phydeaux642
July 16, 2009, 07:56 PM
Why are you guys making fun of my candy bar holder?

Larry Ashcraft
July 16, 2009, 07:57 PM
I could see it being useful on a day hike or similiar. The pouches could hold items such as first aid kit, snake bite kit, maps or GPS, or maybe even dehydrated food. You should also carry at least one good canteen. This might aleviate the need of a large backpack.

A fishing vest would be way more useful, especially if you were fishing.

Reminds me of my brother's dove hunting vest, 52 shell loops and NO game bag. :D

BHP FAN
July 16, 2009, 07:57 PM
I can see an advantage over your standard daypack.With your usual rucksack,what ever you need is always at the bottom,under everything else.No such problem with the vest.

atomd
July 16, 2009, 08:05 PM
Say you just have to have a whole bunch of harmonicas ready to go at any moment, but at the same time there was a chance of being shot....that vest would be perfect!

2RCO
July 16, 2009, 08:10 PM
Wouldn't a True mal ninja want Tactical Black.

How about useful for Mall Ninjas!

Lou McGopher
July 16, 2009, 09:04 PM
Load it with lead and go jogging.

Boba Fett
July 16, 2009, 09:25 PM
I've considered getting something similar, but I really cannot think of a possible use I would have for it. In all situations I've contemplated, I do not need that many pockets and/or a simple backpack will suffice.

Even in SHTF scenarios, I do not see that sort of vest as being helpful and more likely to get me noticed.

So I never purchased one. If I ever figure out a reason I would need one, then I might get one, but it wouldn't be that one. I'd be looking for a molle type vest so I could best distribute and organize without all the useless bulk the OP pictured vest has.

But again, no need = no buy = mall ninja for most people.

KarenTOC
July 16, 2009, 09:41 PM
If they come in navy blue pinstripe, I can see a use for them in the office: cell phone, bluetooth ear thingy, blackberry, laser pointer, remote control for powerpoint presentations, whiteboard markers and erasers, keycard, ipod, vending machine change, file cabinet keys, tactical sharpie. Maybe even a pen or two.

ArfinGreebly
July 16, 2009, 10:16 PM
I can tell there are some of you who won't go look up Scott-E-Vest.

They don't just sell vests.

BMF500
July 16, 2009, 10:24 PM
I can tell there are some of you who won't go look up Scott-E-Vest.

They don't just sell vests.

Is it anything like a Mall Ninja?

cindynles
July 16, 2009, 10:26 PM
Those scott-e-vest's look interesting. The hoodie with 13 pockets looks very useful. Thanks for the heads up on them.

MountainBear
July 16, 2009, 10:31 PM
Its a bit mall ninja, but I could see it serving a purpose in some cases. But it would have to be a odd special situation. So therefore, my vote goes to mall-ninja.

But tactical gear has its purpose hanging in a closet until it may be needed someday. If no one ever sees it, do you really care if we consider it mall-ninja or not?

CYANIDEGENOCIDE
July 16, 2009, 10:37 PM
Unless your daily life entails getting shot at, it's MJ all the way.
What does the "king of pop" have to do with this?

ThrottleJockey72
July 16, 2009, 10:49 PM
They hold lots of things and the ones I've seen are made with kevlar. IMHO I think they are useful, but not really for everyday wear, more for when you need lots of pockets and kevlar.

chuckusaret
July 16, 2009, 11:15 PM
Wrong color, if the vest was black the mall ninja's would eat them up.

happygeek
July 16, 2009, 11:42 PM
This is one of the things that continues to baffle me about THR. I'll see threads about how much ammo people keep stocked, how many mags they keep loaded at home, etc. But then someone brings up a vest with ammo pouches to put those loaded mags in and it's mall ninja. What's the point of having 7 + loaded mags for your AR if you don't have pouches to carry them in? Sure you could always stick them in a backpack, but that makes reloading much, much slower. You could put them in your cargo pockets, but reloading is still slower and your pants are way too heavy. (I've carried 3 or 4 loaded STANAG mags in my cargo pockets before and it wasn't comfortable, plus they banged me in my kneecaps when I tried to run.)

The two times I could think of when an average joe might want such a vest with ammo pouches, med kit, camel back, etc. would be for one of those carbine classes I see threads about from time to time (like this one: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=278688). The other time would be if you actually had to act in a militia role; since you'd need a rifle, basic ammo load, and some sort of LBE type gear to carry your stuff in.

As to the particular vest pictured in this thread, I wouldn't recommend it. I've always hated vests, prefer to put the MOLLE pouches directly on the body armor. That and the vest pictured is attached to a pistol belt, and those things aren't terribly comfortable.

Landpimp
July 16, 2009, 11:43 PM
I have found my Blackhawk vest and Level IIA helpfull and I aint a cop.......but then again I have lots of stuff I never had a "need" for....as does everyone here

Its nice to grab and go...handy to toss in the back of the rig when heading out shooting trees and stuff, keeps alot of weight of my hips with the belt and vest

I prefer a small bug out bag or something or look for a good quality used vest

jakk280rem
July 16, 2009, 11:46 PM
i have considered making use of one of those, or one like, it as a part of a bob. mostly to stow the items i don't want to unsling my bag to get at. or lose if i'm seperated from it. but i couldn't imagine being caught out in public wearing it.

OurSafeHome.net
July 17, 2009, 12:01 AM
Design is All Wrong<tm> for the Real World<tm>.

Moving your magazines off the cartridge belt is a good idea as it frees up space for additional canteens of water, which you WILL use if you are out in Indian country.

The flaws in this design are that the mag pockets look to be designed for skinny sub-machine gun magazines. If you are getting kitted up to for a situation that may require that many magazines your vest had better have armor plates! Therefore, this vest is not well thought out.

If you are going deep into Indian country, where you need extra canteens on your cartridge belt, then you had better be toting a RIFLE and not a sub-gun! Therefore, this vest is not well thought out.

But to someone who has never been "outside the wire" it DOES look tactikwel, and will sell well.

snorky18
July 17, 2009, 12:19 AM
Load it with lead and go jogging.

Funny someone should mention that. My neighbors are typical yuppiesh suburbanites, nice people overall, both accountants, have 2 kids, yada ya. Not gun people.

One day I'm in my backyard and see the wife mowing their back yard, wearing something, that, from a distance, I could have sworn was a black tactical vest with multiple mag holders. :eek: Similar to the one in the OP. I tried not to stare and being to ask myself if I had been "missing" something about them all along. Then after she's done mowing, she comes over to ask me about something, and it's actually a weight vest similiar to this one:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5481392

Sure had me fooled from a distance though. :rolleyes:

AgentAdam
July 17, 2009, 12:33 AM
http://www.blackhawk.com//CatalogImages/18-756-IMG1_L.jpeg
I have the Blackhawk Enhanced Commando Recon Harness Molle vest. Works over large body Armour or alone and doubles as a plate carrier and load bearing rig.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Enhanced-Commando-Recon-Harness,756,129.htm

jpwilly
July 17, 2009, 12:43 AM
Useful! Come on guys! I wear mine everytime I go to the mall.

happygeek
July 17, 2009, 12:45 AM
That's MUCH better in my humble opinion then the vest pictured by the OP. If you're going to get a vest, get a MOLLE. That way you can put the pouches wherever is best for you.

On a sidenote, there's so many pouches for things other than mags. I know a guy who apparently has friends in supply because he has pouches for everything from a map to his flashlight to a radio.

twofifty
July 17, 2009, 12:48 AM
Looks Mountain Ninja-ish to me.

chudykGT
July 17, 2009, 12:53 AM
"Atomd:Say you just have to have a whole bunch of harmonicas ready to go at any moment, but at the same time there was a chance of being shot....that vest would be perfect!"
Pure gold lolol.

As most others have said, an actual MOLLE vest so you could put various pouches, slings etc, would be more useful. I have some generic non-modular tac-vest I use when doing day hikes. It has alot of different sized pockets though. Food, lots of water, sunscreen, bugspray, map, compass, sunglasses etc. All of it fits decent enough, but that one with all the mag pouches wouldn't be much good except for the aformentioned harmonica salesman.

AgentAdam
July 17, 2009, 01:12 AM
Do you guys think it would be too ninjish if a attached a Voodoo Tactical Scabbard to the back of my vest for a PGO shotgun? You never know when you might have to breech a door in the largest mall in America. Oops, I've said to much already. Over and Out.

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/42000330/images/1/MS-20-8917-both.jpg

kd7nqb
July 17, 2009, 01:55 AM
I think it would be kinda cool to wear while hunting, hold everything from trail food to ammo.

nwilliams
July 17, 2009, 02:04 AM
mall ninja

rmuzz
July 17, 2009, 04:52 AM
The OP vest looks like it belongs in paintball.

Titan6
July 17, 2009, 07:52 AM
I can't imagine a scenario where someone would actually wear such a vest. As pointed out the military does not use them much anymore as we most often attach stuff straight to the IBA. I did see a couple people in theater with the vest though. One was a driver who kept the vest in the center console and kept his IBA naked. His feeling was that if he had to dismount than he could grab it and go. The other two were contracted guards actually in Kuwait. The vest pictured is not military issue and looks cheap.

So far a s any practical use.... If you were fighting Zombies I guess it would be useful, all your mag pouches might be handy. If you were fighting the invading Chinese in a counterinsurgency you would be the first thing that they shot, or arrested if they found such a vest on you.

happygeek
July 17, 2009, 08:44 AM
Ummm, I'm pretty sure if you were fighting an insurgency against the invading Chinese, they'd kill or arrest you if they found a gun or ammo on you, forget about them finding a LBE.

Like I said, I'd see a LBE type vest being useful for the average joe for carbine classes and such, and if, God forbid, you ever had to act in a militia role. Yes, it's better to put MOLLE pouches directly on the body armor, but the average joe isn't going to have body armor (which costs 2 grand or more with the ballistic plates if I'm not mistaken), but you can get a decent MOLLE vest for less than $100 at a surplus store. The particular vest pictured by the OP looks like crappy quality though.

Madcap_Magician
July 17, 2009, 09:16 AM
The Blackhawk vest posted second is much better than the first. The elastic pull tab mag pouches are way easier to access than snaps or velcro, and only having one or two mags instead of, say, three piled directly on top of it, makes it easier to go prone.

cbrgator
July 17, 2009, 09:19 AM
I'm the OP. It is definitely crappy quality. They were being offered for $35 bucks. I am just assuming people over there gobbled them up for airsoft. Like you guys, I reasoned out they were useless. Just wasn't sure if I was missing something.

Still Too Many Choices!?
July 17, 2009, 11:08 AM
A GOOD vest, is like a clean work bench... A place for everything, and everything in it's place:D!! Having said that, I don't own one, but the above looks cheap....

Still 2 Many Choices!?

Grey_Mana
July 17, 2009, 12:54 PM
If you've got to take care of young kids, you need that vest. Room for up to 4 spare bottles! The camo hides pee-pee stains quite well. Sometimes you don't have time to call for back-up, and you need to lay down a suppressive fire of cheerios and froot loops. When the SHTF literally, you default to your level of training.

Pyzon
July 17, 2009, 01:51 PM
I was just about to leave this thread after reading all about the mall ninjas and laughing myself sore when I realized that way back in the early 70's Coors packaged Banquet Beer in these small 8 ounce or so cans, about the size of a small tomato or V8 juice can.

All of a sudden that tac vest looked like the cat's meow for those extended trips to, oh, I don't know......maybe the mall !

I'm not going back to count the pouches but I'll bet at least 30 of those little cans would fit !

I hope they take PayPal.

illinois brass man
July 17, 2009, 01:52 PM
If you have to ask.....Its Mall Ninja

doubleg
July 17, 2009, 01:59 PM
I bought a rack sort of like that for my IBA, it really helped distrubute the weight of saw pouches. But if your just carrying 5.56 mags there are much better choices. Check these out.

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/mav-modularassaultvests.aspx

Madcap_Magician
July 17, 2009, 02:14 PM
What do you have for SAW pouches? They took my M4 and gave me a SAW, so my old RIG no longer works.

doubleg
July 17, 2009, 04:19 PM
What service are you in? You should be getting the IOTV soon so you wont be able to use a rack anyway.

I had a normal adjustable molle vest with a zipper right up the front it cost me like 120 dollars.

ezypikns
July 17, 2009, 05:30 PM
who aren't in the military or law enforcement, I don't need anything like that.

AirplaneDoc
July 17, 2009, 05:33 PM
If you have to ask.....Its Mall Ninja

You can say that again

Madcap_Magician
July 17, 2009, 05:53 PM
I'm National Guard. :)

We only get the good stuff right before we deploy. So if I want to be happy and comfortable during the 14 months before we're deploying again, I buy my own stuff.

I was issued a PASGT and an LBV for crying out loud.

inSight-NEO
July 17, 2009, 06:54 PM
I vote: useful

Now, I wouldnt parade around in my underpants while wearing one. Nor would I wear one around town just for the heck of it. Nor would I wear one while playing a heated online match of COD4. But, used in the appropriate manner, I see no problem with it.

To all of the others who see this as mere "Mall Ninja" stuff...I guess you havent encountered a situation where you are out shooting with a buddy (outdoors) and am forced to haul around a range bag (sometimes over considerable distances) just in order to keep a decent amount of loaded mags (or whatever) "at the ready." It does become tiresome after a while.

I dont own one of these vests or anything like it, but I would not mind one either (in black). While many here see this as a "MN" item, I see this as a portable/wearable range bag...of sorts. Ever hear of that proverbial box? Well, consider thinking outside of it once in a while.

Im of the opinion that if something meets a particular need then screw this whole "Mall Ninja" stuff and any opinions insinuating such nonsense. Whether its used by military or LE...who cares? If some of the "powers that be" happen to decide that such items are useful for, say the military or police, why cant we "mere citizens" take advantage of such things as well? Makes no sense to me. God forbid if one decides on purchasing a very high-end set of night vision goggles (for instance). Watch out! You just might be stamped a "Mall Ninja" unless such an item can be "justified" by you being either military or LE personel. Nonsense.

Regardless, items like this (or any gear, accessories or weapons that I can think of) are either bought or given....not necessarily "earned." If it works for you...I say use it. Again, Im not just talking about the item on topic; Im speaking about "all across the board" stuff as well.

Once again....I would consider this vest very useful.

Zach S
July 17, 2009, 07:56 PM
You know, this reminds me of work...

A few weeks ago, my boss was off for a week. No big deal, he sucks anyway and our shift runs better when he's gone. His job is split between another guy and myself.

However, we also had two people out sick. And we still had to get stuff done.

We were both all over the department. In ten hours, we would probably do about 16 hours worth of work, each.

Having to carry two radios (one for the building, another just for the department), along with the gear for my job was a royal pain.

By Wednesday, I was wishing for a MOLLE vest to hang all that crap on...

AgentAdam
July 17, 2009, 11:10 PM
www.thevestguy.com makes custom civilian style vest for Rang Officers, Photographers, Medical, ect. I think they have a small 1-piece molle also.

http://thevestguy.com/images/thumbnail.aspx?img=ExplorerPhotoVest.JPG&x=500&y=500

http://thevestguy.com/images/thumbnail.aspx?img=RefereeChestpackBL.JPG&x=500&y=500

http://thevestguy.com/images/thumbnail.aspx?img=CERT-ChestPack.JPG&x=500&y=500

If you enjoyed reading about "Useful or mall ninja?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!