Help with sling for AR

PDA

Lovesbeer99
July 16, 2009, 08:39 PM
I bought a Springfield Armory leather sling, 1907 style, from Midway.
It's too short for my AR. It fits my mauser and my 22 just fine, but I can't use it on my AR.

Do I need some special sling or something? I have a web sling I've been using but I like the feel of the leather better.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help with sling for AR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
possum
July 16, 2009, 08:44 PM
i am a fan of a single point sling personally. but that is what works best for me, with the work and kinda training/ shooting that i do.

what is your need? are you wanting to be able to use to wrap your arm around and to support you for precision, or do you want it for more "tactical" type applications, or do you just want something that will allow you to carry the ar?

Lovesbeer99
July 16, 2009, 09:08 PM
Sorry, and good question.

The sling is for National Match shooting prone and sitting.

Maverick223
July 16, 2009, 09:45 PM
I would use a SuperSling 2 from The Outdoor Connection, they have been great slings that have served me well for several years, are comfortable, durable, and have a wide range of adjustment. They typically run about $20.00USD.

rino451
July 16, 2009, 09:50 PM
I've used a Brownell's Biothane 1907 sling for a while and like it on my longer rifles for position shooting.

taliv
July 16, 2009, 11:02 PM
a 1907 style sling is what you want. you just need to get the right size. i'm surprised you could order one that wouldn't fit on an AR15. you sure you put it on right?

they do come in different sizes though

Lovesbeer99
July 16, 2009, 11:19 PM
Taliv - I didn't know they came in different sizes. I just bought a 1907 sling and heard the Springfield was a good value.

This is what I tried tonight. I removed the lower (small) leather loop and just left the large loop. I have it adjusted to the last set of holes and I can't get it any longer. I'll have to measure it and see what size it is tomorrow.

What's the correct size?

Howard Roark
July 16, 2009, 11:31 PM
I suggest you get one of the Turner slings from Champions Choice in 54". (http://www.champchoice.com/cat-Slings_and_Accessories-620-2.aspx) I'm 6'3" and a 54" sling is long enough for me.

Slings from Midway and other non-competiton oriented companies generally are not made to the standards you need for competition. The leather is not of top quality, is not thick enough and most importantly the keepers are junk and will stretch.

Les Tam and Turner are the only way to go for leather.

I now use a biothane sling. It will not stretch. My last leather sling was 6" longer when I retired it after a few years of use.

HuntAndFish
July 16, 2009, 11:43 PM
* deleted *

If you enjoyed reading about "Help with sling for AR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!