Its Gonna Be A Good Fall

PDA

countertop
July 17, 2009, 01:53 AM
Not to make ya'll jealous or anything, but my job affords me a wonderful luxury of having the following hunting trips set in stone:

Labor Day Weekend: Georgia Dove Hunt
Mid September: Oklahoma Dove Hunt
Late October: NC Black Bear, Boar, and Whitetail hunt
Nov 5, 6 & 7: PA Grouse Hunt and Steelhead Fishing Trip
Nov. 19-22: Mississippi Duck Hunt & Ole Miss vs LSU Football Game
Nov. 23-25: W. Oklahoma Mule Deer Hunt
Nov. 26-28: Georgia Grouse Hunt (wild, not farm raised)
Early Dec: SD Pheasant Hunt/Slaughter (our group has averaged 45 birds a day over the last 3 years - we just finalized the plans for this today!!!!)

I travel a hell of a lot for work. The fall hunting season makes it all worth it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Its Gonna Be A Good Fall" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jim in Anchorage
July 17, 2009, 02:04 AM
Sep. 18-26 Alaska fly in moose/brown/black bear hunt. I call and raise.

countertop
July 17, 2009, 02:11 AM
Ooooh. Jealous. NC Black Bear are big, but not like the browns in Alaska.

I was hoping to get to Minnesota for a moose hunt, but didn't get it set in time.

I've actually never been to Alaska. Was supposed to fly up to ANWAR a couple of years ago, but the trip was called off. I will make it there eventually.

bearmgc
July 17, 2009, 02:38 AM
My lab thinks so too....

jim in Anchorage
July 17, 2009, 02:44 AM
ANWR. Arctic national wildlife refuge. Not a lot there but seekts. Do a river hunt in Western Alaska,in rafts,fly in/out. Innoko comes to mind. Self guided,the cost is in reason.

dakotasin
July 17, 2009, 08:49 AM
where in sd are you chasing pheasants?

looks like a good fall for ya. best of luck!

bad_aim_billy
July 18, 2009, 01:47 AM
Well everyone, beat this fall hunting itinerary!!!

Sept-- red squirrel hunt, with possiblity for chipmunk.

Oct-- feral pigeon stalk. Could also involve chipmunks if they're in season.

Nov-- deer season where I won't see any. May resort to stalking chipmunks.

Dec-- Chipmunk season is over. There is no reason to hunt anymore.

jim in Anchorage
July 18, 2009, 02:41 AM
:Carefull out there. Guided?:D

paintballdude902
July 18, 2009, 02:56 AM
wait you going bear hunting the same place as whitetail and boar?

that is totally 3 seperate trips

1 eastern part of the state for bear(we got the biggins in my area)
2 white tail in the piedmont
3 boar in the western corner

me sept dove
oct deer
november bear/deer
december deer/bear

MCgunner
July 18, 2009, 11:25 AM
I reckon other than a couple of goose hunts, I'll be a self guided duck, dove, deer, hog hunter again. *sigh* But, hey, at least I have places to hunt. That's something to brag about in Texas.

Tim the student
July 18, 2009, 01:50 PM
bad aim, it looks like you and I both have about the same hunts set up!

Savage Shooter
July 18, 2009, 10:18 PM
Ah! you suck:scrutiny: I so want to go on a dove trip to georgia we have em here but not near georgia's amount.

nmlongbow
July 18, 2009, 11:25 PM
countertop,

Sounds liek a lot of fun but I think Jim's got you beat.

I just have New Mexico archery (recurve) elk in Sept. this year.

Next year it's 10 days of flyfishing and recurve Russian Brown Bear in Kamchatka. Just 4.5 hrs West of anchorage via Vladivostok Air.

countertop
July 18, 2009, 11:50 PM
where in sd are you chasing pheasants?

We stay in Aberdeen and hunt on a few ranches with folks we work with

Ah! you suck I so want to go on a dove trip to georgia we have em here but not near georgia's amount.

Georgia doves are good. I'm more psyched for the unhunted land, teaming with wild bobwhite covey's, I found and secured rights too hunt over turkey day weekend.

wait you going bear hunting the same place as whitetail and boar?

Its mostly bear and feral swine elimination (yes, you have feral swine in eastern carolina) there too many whitetails not to take a few, but thats not the primary goal.

Yep, though the cost of my many hunting trips will be far less than his :)

Marlin 45 carbine
July 18, 2009, 11:57 PM
I'm about 3 miles from some good dove hunting fields, a little more from a float trip down the river for squirrel and dove by the river flat corn fields.
deer hunting and rabbit out the back door.
unfortunately have to drive about 50 miles to get to good grouse hunting.
unless I get a hoped-for invite down to South Calinky for feral/wild hog I won't get a chance to go.
I may get an invite to go bear hunting with some old timers that dog 'em if I'm lucky.
most of my efforts are towards the river trips and deer hunting. realy stocks the freezer.

jim in Anchorage
July 19, 2009, 02:01 AM
Yep, though the cost of my many hunting trips will be far less than his
Actually about 10 hours super cub time @ $200 a hour,split two ways. Not to bad.

countertop,

Next year it's 10 days of flyfishing and recurve Russian Brown Bear in Kamchatka. Just 4.5 hrs West of anchorage via Vladivostok Air.

This is the guy with the check book. By the way,I can see Kamchatka from my window.[Palin joke]

countertop
July 19, 2009, 02:47 AM
Actually about 10 hours super cub time @ $200 a hour,split two ways. Not to bad.

ok, I'm jealous!!

jim in Anchorage
July 19, 2009, 03:21 AM
ok, I'm jealous!!
Yeah,but you ought to see what its costing my non-resident hunting buddy $400 moose tag:eek: $800 to get here. The only reason he can do it is because the guide[me]works cheap. Just leave behind those extra MREs and call it good.:)

jim in Anchorage
July 19, 2009, 06:04 AM
I know its bad form to make two posts in in a row,but I what to bump this up so I can read what you guys are doing this year[yes I am getting the fever-2 months to go]:D

MCgunner
July 19, 2009, 11:06 AM

JUST? You bastard....:D

nmlongbow
July 19, 2009, 11:34 AM
Yep, just elk. I applied for Mule Deer, Antelope and Ibex also.

Kamchatka is expensive but it's 2+ years of saving and planning. With a landmass the size of California and only one road in, there should be lot's of fish and hopefully a few bears that have never seen a human.

dakotasin
July 19, 2009, 11:54 AM
countertop - while in the aberdeen area, make the trip to watertown to see the redlin art center if you haven't already. you can't cover it in one afternoon, but i think you'll like it.

as for fall hunting, i'll be hunting whitetails, mulies, and antelope. no elk for me this year, but that's ok. i'll have 5 whitetail hunts, 2 mulie hunts and 2 antelope hunts, plus i'll be taking my daughter out for her first hunt, for a total of 10 big game hunts. not a whole lot of time left over for elk this year.

good luck to all of us who are chomping at the bit... big game opens for me in september, and i'm already pretty excited!

MCgunner
July 19, 2009, 11:56 AM
They must've messed up NM's deer regulations if you have to draw for a deer. I haven't hunted out there since the early 90s, haven't kept up. I'd planned to go back and do muzzle loader season eventually, but haven't.

countertop
July 19, 2009, 01:12 PM
Dakotasin,

We head to Aberdeen every year. Make camp at the White House Inn. Never heard about the Redlin Center. Will have to check it out. I've got a bunch of his prints - it seems like I win one every year. I have a couple in my office and a few in my man cave, the rest are in the attic. Not sure what to do with them. He's got some great stuff, and then some less then stellar stuff. But I suspect it would be a cool trip none the less.

dakotasin
July 19, 2009, 11:43 PM
www.redlinart.com

worth the trip from aberdeen.

hunting pheasants in december is the best time to do it... pheasants are easier to find, dogs don't get tired, heat stroke possibility for the dogs are slim... absolute best time to hunt pheasants... i rarely mess with pheasants anymore, even opening weekend, but if i do, i do it in december.

paintballdude902
July 20, 2009, 04:50 AM
Its mostly bear and feral swine elimination (yes, you have feral swine in eastern carolina) there too many whitetails not to take a few, but thats not the primary goal.

news to me what area?

doesnt surprise me with all the hog farms we have

why do you want to eliminate bears?

please take a few does!!! we have an over population of does in eastern nc

countertop
July 20, 2009, 04:32 PM
news to me what area?

doesnt surprise me with all the hog farms we have

Pretty much all over Eastern Carolina. Here's a map of the 2004 distribution (http://www.uga.edu/scwds/dist_maps/swine04.jpg) of feral swine. As far as I know, USDA hasn't come up with an updated map yet, though I believe one is in the works. They are certainly paying more attention to them these days. I go hunt in the area between Goldsboro and Warsaw

Also, FWIW, the hogs in Eastern Carolina aren't related to the hog farms there (those pigs don't escape and wouldn't last very long in the wild if they did) - but rather have mostly migrated up from South Carolina and Georgia as well as have been released by idiots hoping to establish local populations so they can start a hog hunting business. Numbers are increasing rapidly. When I was deer hunting last fall, we saw 20+ hogs cross the game trail where our stand was in a single morning (once I got a deer, I took a few of them).

why do you want to eliminate bears?

Ha, don't want to eliminate bear. I just want to eat some good meat (and get a rug for my son).

Your does are small, but very very tasty!!!

paintballdude902
July 21, 2009, 01:18 AM
yummmmm eastern nc does lol

we have alot of deer but there are so dang many of them its hard to get big ones the last 3 years i have had chances to take very nice bucks, but i only shot at one (biggest 9pter i have ever seen, i take atleast 3 deer a year but they are all does i feel that i can do my part to take some does out then mayeb we will get some bigger deer and hopefully nice big bucks

i live in new bern about an hour and a half from goldsboro but i hunt in pollocksville we hane some big bears the biggest that i have had a part in getting was a 675 but we had the record killed in 1998 i think it was 890 or 980 something like that it was eating from a hog lagoon

the hog thing is a huge surprise to me i have never seen one or seen any sign of one (id like it to stay that way). a guy i worked for in high school is a huge bear hunter so i normally go bear hunting with him atleast once a year, he went on a hog hunt in SC and came back talkign about wanting to get a population here and all i said is if your gonna pay for all the damage they do your more than welcome to but your paying for it and fixing it yourself

edit: so i did some research and found out that ther sare feral hogs in my local national forest, i may have to call up my game warden and ask what he knows about them

i dont think that they are regulated except in the western part of the state (6 counties) so it may be fun for my last few weeks at home to go get a hog before i head off to college

countertop
July 21, 2009, 09:35 AM
They are only regulated in a few counties out west. I've hunted them (exterminated them) all over Samson and Duplin county.

I like New Bern, its a cool little town.

Your right about the size of the deer - the eastern carolina deer are very much like the little deer you get in the Florida keys. But they are tasty and tender.

One of my buddies has about a 3,500 acre preserve he's enrolled in the QDM plan. We shoot lots of does there, and smaller bucks. He's got some big ones rolling around. Just missed a shot on a nice 10 pointer last fall - he was always showing up on schedule within a 10 minute time frame. Showed up at the stand where we thought we would get him and low and behold he walks right under me 5 minutes before shooting time and about 40 minutes earlier than we planned. Saw him just as a gostly figure, never had a chance at a clear shot.

paintballdude902
July 21, 2009, 02:28 PM
dang i checked into regulations and oit looks like i can only hunt our population in the national forrest while there is an open season for big game. oh well this just means that ill have to wait

new bern is great, i hate big towns even though ive been to alot of the major ones in the us and a few in europe so its not lack of exposure i just dont like the crowds amd the traffic. thats why i love new bern not much traffic and the only crowds are at wallmart and the fair lol im gonna miss it when im at school

dont you hate that? i had about a 600lbs bear sitting under me one day big sucker, yeah...... 2 days later bear season opened up too bad i couldnt shoot it

countertop
July 21, 2009, 02:58 PM
where are you headed to school? My brother went to UNC Willmington.

If you ask around, almost any land owner/farmer in the area will have dealt with feral swine issues, chances are they'd love someone to come out and shoot a bunch (though thankfully its not as bad as the situation in Texas)

paintballdude902
July 22, 2009, 01:18 AM
im going to haywood community college on the reverse side of the state, other that NC State it is the only school that offers a wildlife management degree so im gonna go there get my assoc. then work for the state (hopefully) for a few years then transfer and eventually get my masters in wildlife management. uncw is a fun school i got a wilmington every few months to surf and just stay and the beach. id really like to go there if they had a degree that interested me since the ratio of girls to guys is 3:1 or atleast was last year

from the area i looked at it looks like the pig population is only really big in the bear santuary (very large area with next to no traffic) so when deer opens up im gonna try my luck back there, i may try and find some people with dogs trained for hogs. i know alot of people with deer dogs (yuck) and bear dogs(yay) so maybe i know a few people with some pig dogs.

the issue witht he area is alot of it is pretty swampy but they just burned a large area a few months ago so i should have a decent view of the area. i doubt the hogs have had much exposure to people since i know the area and there is only one area that has much traffic and that is limited to mayeb 1-2 trucks going off road then camping on the side of the lake

countertop
July 22, 2009, 12:07 PM
uncw is a fun school i got a wilmington every few months to surf and just stay and the beach. id really like to go there if they had a degree that interested me since the ratio of girls to guys is 3:1 or at least was last year

Yep, my brother pretty much majored in intercourse communications.

paintballdude902
July 23, 2009, 01:27 AM
hahaha sounds like alot of my friends that are already in college

the biggest draw to the area for me was being able to go fly fishing for trout again, my dad used to take me most summers but its been 3-4 years ever since the realestate market went down here we havent done alot of trips

Capt. NW
July 24, 2009, 12:58 PM
you guys and your trips suck!!! but I hope you the best of luck and want to see pic.

countertop
July 24, 2009, 04:13 PM
I'll try to post pics - my camera always seems to be back at home or in the car - which is frustrating since at one point in time (many moons ago) I was hopeful I'd land a gig as a newspaper photographer.

But, not to gloat on my wealth of hunting opportunity - but I actually was introduced to a tribal elder from a Montana reservation the other day who is benefiting indirectly from some of the work I do. He was pleased at my progress and when I complained at not landing a Montana tag for this fall said I didn't need one if I was to hunt on the reservation (a sovereign nation with its own tags), that it would be his honor to take me out with the best guides.

Ha!!!!

I wont be able to fit it in this year, but with any luck will be able to head out next year.

If you enjoyed reading about "Its Gonna Be A Good Fall" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!