Don't need no stinking guns

PDA

Isher
July 17, 2009, 03:04 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31951883/

For griz, upgrade to a Huskvarna with a 28" bar.

And make sure it starts on the first pull..............

isher

If you enjoyed reading about "Don't need no stinking guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArfinGreebly
July 17, 2009, 03:26 AM
Good quick thinking.

The article:
Man says he fended off lion with chainsaw
Authorities track down wounded animal and shoot it in Wyoming

updated 6:29 p.m. PT, Thurs., July 16, 2009

CODY, Wyoming - Wielding his chain saw as a weapon, a former U.S. Marine says he fought off a starving mountain lion that attacked him while he was camping with his wife and two toddlers in northwestern Wyoming.

Dustin Britton, a 32-year-old mechanic and ex-Marine, said he was alone cutting firewood about 100 feet from his campsite in the Shoshone National Forest when he saw the lion staring at him from some bushes.

Britton revved his 18-inch chain saw and tried to back away. But the 100-pound lion followed.

As the animal pounced, Britton raised his saw and met it head-on — a collision he said felt like a grown man running right into him.

"It batted me three or four times with its front paws and as quick as I hit it with that saw it just turned away," he said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press.

Britton later discovered he'd inflicted a gash on the lion's shoulder. He said he was surprised the damage wasn't worse.

"You would think if you hit an animal with a chain saw it would dig right in. I might as well have hit it with a hockey stick," he said.

The wounded animal retreated, leaving Britton with a only small puncture wound on his forearm.

The attack occurred Sunday evening. Wildlife agents shot and killed the lion Monday after it attacked a dog brought in to track the animal.

Authorities say the lion was in poor physical condition and appeared to be starving. The lion was 4 to 5 years old.

Mountain lions are considered reclusive by nature and officials said the circumstances of the attack were highly unusual. Wyoming officials have documented only eight cases of mountain lions acting aggressively toward humans over the last decade.

So, what did we learn today, class?

If you're a Marine and you like to get up close and personal with your mountain lions, bring a chain saw.

For the rest of us, I recommend something with a little more reach. Something, perhaps, in .357 or .44 mag.

Or maybe just bring 20 or 30 pounds of steak to throw at the cat.

chris in va
July 17, 2009, 03:39 AM
I'm very glad the guy defended himself from the mountain lion. Couldn't even imagine the damage something like that would cause.

I also feel bad for the starving cat. They're magnificent animals.

Nematocyst
July 17, 2009, 03:54 AM
I also feel bad for the starving cat. They're magnificent animals. Chris, you may get intellectually pummeled here for writing that, but I agree.

I'm glad the guy fended off the attack. He did what he needed to and should have. No argument there.

But it's too bad the cat had to be killed. I imagine that getting wounded by a chainsaw wielding human may have cured it of human hunger.

<dons flame suit>

TxState101
July 17, 2009, 05:39 AM
Hey, the guy defended himself, and most likely his family and other people out in the woods.

The cat, on the other hand, wasn't so lucky.

Seems like things worked out well enough.

I'd rather read about a dead cat than a dead person that was enjoying the outdoors.

Could've been worse, could've been better, but I'm happy about this turn out.

GojuBrian
July 17, 2009, 07:44 AM
Great story. Brave man. Poor mountain lion. :)

lions
July 17, 2009, 03:05 PM
I imagine that getting wounded by a chainsaw wielding human may have cured it of human hunger.

I think getting shot by wildlife agents is what cured it.:D

snorky18
July 17, 2009, 03:15 PM
"You would think if you hit an animal with a chain saw it would dig right in. I might as well have hit it with a hockey stick," he said.

Having been the recipient of a severe chainsaw injury, and having inflicted that severe chainsaw injury upon myself, I'll just say it's amazing what your body can go through and keep trucking, at least short term. If you don't hit a major blood vessel, you can still function. I had skin hanging off, blood oozing out, bone visible, and still walked to the car to go to the ER.

Don't need no stinking guns

I see it now: Everyone leave your guns at home. Instead pack your Husqvarna chainsaw with a 5 foot bar on it. :D

Call your local sheriff and ask if you need a permit to carry a chainsaw concealed :neener:

Why do you carry a handgun? Because a 5 foot chainsaw is too heavy ;)

In all seriousness, much kudos for some quick thinking on the part of that Marine.

doc2rn
July 17, 2009, 03:22 PM
It begs the question what caliber of chainsaw?!:neener:

LRaccuracy
July 17, 2009, 03:40 PM
All I can say to the Marine is: Arrrrrrrrrrrrughhh Semper Fi Marine

If you enjoyed reading about "Don't need no stinking guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!