Check. This. Out.

PDA

cbrgator
July 17, 2009, 10:21 AM
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2009/07/17/am.muller.truck.ak47.cnn

Dealership in Missouri giving away AK-47's with each new auto purchase.
Interviewer is very condescending/uninformed and tries to portray the dealer as a nutjob.

If you enjoyed reading about "Check. This. Out." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tim the student
July 17, 2009, 10:26 AM
Hey, I was just going to post this.

The dealer sounds like a guy I would like to do business with.

The interviewer sounds like a person that has no grasp of reality. The best thing she did was refer to an AK as a "semi-assault rifle".

To clarify, the dealer is giving away vouchers. He does point out that felons buy cars too, etc etc.

HKUSP45C
July 17, 2009, 10:44 AM
It simply boils down to the "culture war."

The vast majority of people in this country who aren't enthusiasts have no grasp of the fact that an AK-47 style rifle is no different than your standard semi-auto in 7.62X39 caliber.

Movies, TeeVee and the media outlets have demonized the term to the point that even gangsters want "choppahs" for their aresenals.

It's not about the fact that he's giving aways guns that seems to have ruffled the feathers of the dolt giving the interview. It's a "semi-assault-style" AK-47OMGWTHBBQ!!!!111eleventy.

If we want to get over this stigma there has to be a real push for our views to get into the public eye via media.

We aren't going to stop hearing "why do you NEED an AK-47" until people start to understand that there's nothing magical about them. Same goes for ARs, Street-Sweepers, FALs, ect.

I have always though a nice experiment might be to take a few M1 carbines and outfit them in 3 ways:
1) The military configuration the rifle was issued in.
2) Nice thumbhole wood stock with scope.
3) Black synthetic furniture, ACOG, 30 round mag.

Ask people which one is more deadly. Then explain the lack of differences (fundamentally) between them.

We have to start pushing our agenda with the public as hard as the Brady Bunch does if we ever hope to sway the pendulum back to the 1920s mentalities.

czarjl
July 17, 2009, 10:46 AM
Too bad the dealer is so far away... I might try to convince the wife I "need" (more like want) a truck and because the AK is free I won't have to spend money on one... so actually I will be saving money.

You have to love the media... ok maybe not. That dealer would get my business.

Shung
July 17, 2009, 10:50 AM
I get a video about Iran instead.. ***..

snorko
July 17, 2009, 10:54 AM
There ia s local dealer here whoi does the same thing with Benelli shotguns around turkey and deer seasons.

Lightninstrike
July 17, 2009, 10:58 AM
"Putting God and Guns in the same sentence might upset some people..."

Tough patooties.

Tim the student
July 17, 2009, 11:02 AM
Tough patooties.
Yep. It's not like he is a government agency. If it upsets people, they can choose not to give him money, just as when businesses are anti-gun, I can choose not to give them money.

Maybe he could also give a voucher for a couple hours of instruction and gun rentals for people who are not sure if they want a gun.

cbrgator
July 17, 2009, 11:02 AM
"Putting God and Guns in the same sentence might upset some people..."

Tough patooties.
I'm not a religious person by any means but if you are offended by that (which I'm not... at all) it's a free country. Don't shop there. Why should he care if it will "upset some people." The beauty of what's left of our free market is that you can choose where you shop... and where you don't. But according to him, its boosting sales so there aren't THAT many upset people.

Tommygunn
July 17, 2009, 12:11 PM
Dupe of thread
www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=462921

Claude Clay
July 17, 2009, 12:15 PM
didn't o'ramlama put god & guns in the same sentence??

too bad the auto dealer guy didn't cottin to that fact and answer her accordingly.

TexasRifleman
July 17, 2009, 12:21 PM
I have always though a nice experiment might be to take a few M1 carbines and outfit them in 3 ways:
1) The military configuration the rifle was issued in.
2) Nice thumbhole wood stock with scope.
3) Black synthetic furniture, ACOG, 30 round mag.

Done already but with an AK. Really good video. He also takes a Mini14 in standard config and puts it in a folding stock to show that it's the same rifle, just cosmetic changes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjM9fcEzSJ0

mcdonl
July 17, 2009, 12:23 PM
I get a video about Iran instead.. ***..

You get bigger guns if you want to buy a car in Iran.

GojuBrian
July 17, 2009, 12:25 PM
I like that guy!!!

I'd like to take that reporter out and let her shoot some cool guns. :)

googol
July 17, 2009, 12:40 PM
Hooah.

The man speaks his mind and does it well. I hope he sells his 100 trucks.

But don't be too hard on the reporter. She doesn't earn her pay by cuddling up to the people she interviews. She is supposed to confront them with the questions that the average viewer or reader would like to have answered. If she didn't challenge him, he wouldn't have the opportunity to discuss his beliefs and explain his reasons for the giveaway. If she didn't assume a somewhat contrary point of view, the interview would have gone something like this--

"Uh, we're giving away AK-47s if you buy a truck here."
"Oh, well that's good."
"Thanks." End of interview.
Give her a break. She didn't exactly take a wire brush to him.

Fish Miner
July 17, 2009, 01:08 PM
I thought it was a great interview- he came out looking like a god fearing America loving buisness man who cares for his customers. She sounded like a moron. The only thing that would have been better would have been a comment about the guns she had as a teenager being same or larger caliber weapon. Would CNN have done the story if it was an M1 ? or a Mosin?

I wish I was ready for a new truck cause I would drive from FL to Missouri to support his agenda. Good Luck to him!

JKimball
July 17, 2009, 02:56 PM
I'd wager that there are millions of gun owners in America that feel pretty much the same way this reporter does about "AK-47's" and "semi-assault rifles." But it also seems apparent that more and more people are accepting the valid reasons for civilians owning these guns for defense. I thought the dealer made some great points and came across as a sane, intelligent American. I didn't think she came across as a moron, but just someone who hasn't seen the light yet. She said it is one thing to have a handgun, but an AK seems a little excessive. The question she needs to answer is why should people limit their firepower to a handgun when they are going into a gun battle to preserve their lives and the lives of their loved ones?

JoeMal
July 17, 2009, 03:02 PM
The only 911 call I need is chambering a round

LOL! Go Dealer!

hso
July 17, 2009, 03:03 PM
www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=462921

If you enjoyed reading about "Check. This. Out." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!