Browning A-bolt w/ BOSS - Starting point

PDA

RDA 226sig
July 17, 2009, 02:21 PM
Does anyone have any experience with tuning the BOSS compensator on a Browning A-bolt. The rifle is chambered in 338 Win-mag and the barrel is 26" long. Ammunition it Remington 225 grain factory.

If anyone has a suggested starting point it would be greatly appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Browning A-bolt w/ BOSS - Starting point" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Reid73
July 17, 2009, 02:23 PM
Please tell me that .238 Magnum was simply a typo and that they haven't come out with yet another redundant "new and improved!" calibre.

RDA 226sig
July 17, 2009, 05:22 PM
It was probably my shoulder wishing for 125 grain bullets instead of 225. It is a 338 win-mag. I have repaired the initial post in order to create additional confusion.

TexasEd
July 17, 2009, 05:45 PM
Check out the Browning website and they have a section about tuning the boss.

RDA 226sig
July 17, 2009, 11:13 PM
Thanks TxEd. My box was missing the Owner's manual and sweet spot chart but I found both on the Browning site.

Arkel23
July 18, 2009, 12:24 AM
I know it's going to be loud.

Oldtrader3
July 18, 2009, 10:49 AM
But it will be accurate when you find the spot.

RDA 226sig
July 19, 2009, 09:53 AM
took me 8 shots to find a 50yd zero and then print a 1 1/2" group at a 100 yards. 200 yds it printed about 3" without fine tuning the Boss. (working with only a front bag) Kicks about like a 30-06 and maybe a little less. Next trip will be fine tuning from a sled. :)

Reid73
July 19, 2009, 04:31 PM
BOSS owner's manual (http://media.browning.com/pdf/om/boss_02380_om_s.pdf).

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 19, 2009, 04:39 PM
Used to be, they offered a brake-BOSS, and a non-brake-BOSS. The BOSS part is a barrel harmonizer/tuner, and the brake is a compensator (recoil reducer) - they're not necessarily related.

I don't know if the non-brake BOSS is still offered, but apparently the BOSS part works pretty well to improve accuracy. I wouldn't have the brake-BOSS, but the non-brake one would be nice toy.

RDA 226sig
July 21, 2009, 01:44 PM
The Browning I purchased came with both the brake and non-brake versions and you can swap it out if you like. With earplugs and muffs the brake is perfectly quiet....for the shooter.

Badger Arms
July 21, 2009, 03:24 PM
I have a stainless A-Bolt II with BOSS in .300 WinMag. Build a load to the pressure and velocity you want then tune the BOSS to match your load. I have a BOSS CR so the noise isn't as bad, but the regular BOSS isn't really that loud in the field, only on the bench. Wear double-ear protection at the range and you should be fine.

Encoreman
July 21, 2009, 07:20 PM
Don't want to jack this thread, but I'm looking at a a-bolt .223 with a boss, I'm not sure which one. Do you think it would be too loud for P'dog hunting or not. Thanks Mac

Oldtrader3
July 22, 2009, 01:32 AM
Too loud for who, you or the prairie dog? The rifle actually is not louder with the BOSS, just to the shooter. I would be careful about the WSSM. People are selling their used ones really cheaply. Something about eating barrels!

Out-loud-musing, but it would be interesting to set up a microphone to measure and plot a frequency/decibal curve chart measuring device for several calibers and look at the results.

If you enjoyed reading about "Browning A-bolt w/ BOSS - Starting point" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!