22lr and 22 mag

PDA

rrruuunnn
July 17, 2009, 11:48 PM
What would happen if I fired a 22lr in a 22 mag gun?

If you enjoyed reading about "22lr and 22 mag" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
July 17, 2009, 11:49 PM
Brass would bulge and maybe split. Do you wear goggles?

1858rem
July 17, 2009, 11:55 PM
and it is surprising loud, bulged brass, throat erosion(like shooting CB shorts in a 22LR) and probably something bad from the lr case slamming into the chamber wall with 20000+psi.

LRaccuracy
July 18, 2009, 10:18 AM
Yep, it will fire but like Jim Watson said the brass may split and possibly fragment. Hot, high pressure gas may escape at the breech and (or) may launch pieces of the breech and you can be injured.

mcdonl
July 18, 2009, 10:25 AM
Also, if it is a revolver you will have MAG cases stick if you do not clean the dickens out of it.

Been there, done that. :)

SteelyNirvana
July 18, 2009, 10:33 AM
throat erosion(like shooting CB shorts in a 22LR)

I don't mean to hijack, but is it bad to shoot CB's, or shorts in a 22lr?

Pistol Toter
July 18, 2009, 10:35 AM
The projectile rattles down the barrel from not engaging the rifleing.

turbojohn41
July 18, 2009, 10:46 AM
what are you refering to pistol?

1858rem
July 18, 2009, 10:53 AM
The projectile rattles down the barrel from not engaging the rifleing.

22lr uses a hollow/heeled base bullet so it wont have any problem engaging the rifling other than the half inch jump to first get too the rifling.

what i last read it took like a thousand shorts to do any noticeable damage/erosion so its not really bad unless you shoot a ton.

SteelyNirvana
July 18, 2009, 10:59 AM
what i last read it took like a thousand shorts to do any noticeable damage/erosion so its not really bad unless you shoot a ton.

Can you point me to where you read that? I'm kinda concerned now. My Heritage rough rider gives me nice, tight groups with these.

1858rem
July 18, 2009, 11:21 AM
if a quanity of shorts are fired, because of the shortness of this round compared to a long rifle....the bullet actually slams into the chamber as it hits the bore`s rifling. Continued (bunchs) of shorts fired in these rifles, eat away good metal in the end of the chamber, where a long rifle would seat. This continued slaming against this area, along with powder flash, eats away metal over time (Throat erosion). It`s just something to look for, as it can ruin accuracy.

googled it lol

DMK
July 18, 2009, 12:25 PM
I don't mean to hijack, but is it bad to shoot CB's, or shorts in a 22lr? You can shoot CBs and shorts in a 22LR. I can't see how these could cause any more throat erosion than a 22LR round. It's just like shooting .38 in a .357 or 44 specials in a 44mag.

The only concern is with rifle barrels, CBs could cause the projectile to get stuck in the barrel. They only use a primer to propel the round. I've never seen it happen though.

SteelyNirvana
July 18, 2009, 01:20 PM
You can shoot CBs and shorts in a 22LR. I can't see how these could cause any more throat erosion than a 22LR round. It's just like shooting .38 in a .357 or 44 specials in a 44mag.

That's what I've always heard since I was a kid and that's why I was surprised to hear that it's a problem. After Google-ing it I did come across this:

"Back in the day of black powder cartridges and corrosive priming, excessive use of .22 shorts could erode the chamber just ahead of the .22S case mouth,"

from http://www.odcmp.org/new_forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=55610

Maybe what 1858 Remington quoted was an article talking about black powder shorts?

scottaschultz
July 18, 2009, 02:58 PM
I don't mean to hijack, but is it bad to shoot CB's, or shorts in a 22lr?CCI (and I am sure others) make CB longs. The case is the same size as a .22LR. The bullet is a little smaller so I don't know how well they would work in a semi-auto, but they work great in my Single Six.

Here they are side by side:

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv124/scottaschultz/longandshort.jpg

Scott

rrruuunnn
July 18, 2009, 03:42 PM
I have a S&W 351pd. What would happen if I put 22lr in it?

rcmodel
July 18, 2009, 03:47 PM
Just exactly what they said would happen in the first five posts.

Lots of smoke, noise, leaking powder gas, and bulged or split cases.

Not to mention that the smaller rim of the .22 RF will not get a solid hit from the .22 Mag firing pin location.

but is it bad to shoot CB's, or shorts in a 22lr?
No, not since black powder corrosive primer days.
And that would have been O.K. then too if they had cleaned thier .22's once every blue moon.

You & I won't live long enough to hurt a LR chamber shooting shorts in it.

rc

rrruuunnn
July 18, 2009, 04:00 PM
I'm having trouble finding 22 magnum to shoot in my 351pd. I have some. Just don't want to blow off the last of my supply.

rcmodel
July 18, 2009, 04:33 PM
Well, I'd keep looking.

Shooting .22RF in a .22 Mag is bad Juju.
Don't do it.

rc

jakk280rem
July 18, 2009, 04:59 PM
you can also shoot 22 wrf in a 22wmr gun. wrf is a 22lr length and powered cartrdge that uses a non heeled bullet.

1858rem
July 18, 2009, 07:02 PM
CBs could cause the projectile to get stuck in the barrel. They only use a primer to propel the round.

maybe i ment shorts then...... cci makes some called CB Shorts and they DO have a powder charge and are fairly fast but quiet. remington golden bullets are like that also, onlt about a half inch long and 800 or so fps with a 20something grain bullet.

Sunray
July 18, 2009, 11:38 PM
"...projectile rattles down the barrel..." One thou difference in bullet diameter won't cause the bullet to rattle down the barrel. The difference in case diameter isn't good though.

Legionnaire
July 19, 2009, 04:27 PM
I hear tell, but have never tried, that one can grind the base off a fired .22 mag case, insert a .22LR cartridge inside it, and then safely fire the .22LR in a .22 mag chamber. Can anyone say yay or nay?

DMK
July 19, 2009, 07:53 PM
cci makes some called CB Shorts and they DO have a powder charge and are fairly fast but quiet I was actually thinking of Aguila Colibri Hummingbirds. I've heard some folks refer to them as CBs. I might be incorrect in considering them the same thing.

LRaccuracy
July 20, 2009, 11:02 PM
Legionnaire,

Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Let me know if you try it.

Did you know you can use a bore cleaning brush for a ruptured cartridge extractor? Works great!

If you enjoyed reading about "22lr and 22 mag" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!