I hear Mosin Nagants are loud?

PDA

Arkel23
July 18, 2009, 12:31 AM
How loud are they? Are they louder than a .300 wby mag? Give me a comparison between any gun and a mosin nagant.

If you enjoyed reading about "I hear Mosin Nagants are loud?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
juk
July 18, 2009, 12:49 AM
more like a lightning strike than a gun. :)

jordan1948
July 18, 2009, 12:51 AM
Well the first shot is loud but after that you're fine :D

Avenger29
July 18, 2009, 12:58 AM
They aren't that bad. But, like any unsuppressed centerfire rifle, it only makes sense to double up on hearing protection...

I didn't think it is any louder than your standard .308...My 91/30 isn't that bad, but the shorter barrel carbines are louder...

gimlet1/21
July 18, 2009, 01:20 AM
What did you say? You,ve got to speak louder I was at the range last week.

Deus Machina
July 18, 2009, 01:29 AM
91/30's are the quietest of the bunch, and IME, right around the same as a similar .30-06. Maybe a little more than most modern target ammo, maybe a little less than full-bore hollowpoints.

The shorter ones... Well, my friend has an M44 with an AK-74 style muzzle brake on it. The first round he touches off, the .30-06 and shotgun guys stop shooting and lean around their dividers in unison. :eek:

jpwilly
July 18, 2009, 01:32 AM
^^^ I understand! The carbines are loud due to lots of powder burning OUTSIDE the barrel!

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p38/jpwilly/ScoutPaint007.jpg

jordan1948
July 18, 2009, 01:34 AM
jpwilly: 3 questions. Is that an M44? Did you cut your barrel down any? And where did you get that compensator?

Deus Machina
July 18, 2009, 01:36 AM
That does remind me that I'll be looking for a beat up/pre-bubba'd 91/30 at the next gun show, to make a 'sniper' rifle with.

For what they are, I really am a fan of the Nagant. Nothing better for a cheap project. Now if I could just find new barrels for them, I'd have a heck of a good weekend in the garage.

ccsniper
July 18, 2009, 01:41 AM
shot mine the other day with a turk mauser. shooting into the berm just noticed a load crack, shot across the field, haha... sounds like the voice of God!!! I pulled one plug out just to hear it natural like.

Avenger29
July 18, 2009, 01:43 AM
I pulled one plug out just to hear it natural like.

And promptly suffered permanent hearing damage.

ccsniper
July 18, 2009, 01:45 AM
haha I knew that was coming. yup, I did. I WILL regret it by the time I am 40

Avenger29
July 18, 2009, 01:50 AM
haha I knew that was coming. yup, I did. I WILL regret it by the time I am 40

I am fanatical about doing everything I can to avoid hearing that ringing sound when I grow older.

Single level of hearing pro is good for .22s, everything else needs double layers IMHO. I will never fire an unsupressed gun w/o hearpro except in an extreme emergency.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 18, 2009, 01:53 AM
you've heard correctly.

Hammerhead6814
July 18, 2009, 02:02 AM
Well this question really depends on the kind of hearing protection your using. If you don't use any you've most certainly said the words "WHAT?!" and the phrase "I CAN'T HEAR YOU!" a few times in your life.

But it's not like that makes the experience of owning one of these rifles horrible. I love my Mosins to the point of insanity. :D

chuwee81
July 18, 2009, 02:18 AM
yea, my long barrel m91/30 doesn't bark that bad (long barrel). There was a guy with a compensated .300 winmag i think and it was LOUD. my friend's AR with birdcage muzzle sounds a tad louder as well.

Arkel23
July 18, 2009, 01:00 PM
Oh ok I'm just asking because everyone says they are so loud and kick so hard, I'm not looking to get one I was just wondering.

Ben Shepherd
July 18, 2009, 01:06 PM
Watch your ammo choices too. There's a wide variance there.

"Heavy ball" out of one with a steel butt plate can be pretty punishing......

DMK
July 18, 2009, 01:19 PM
Oh ok I'm just asking because everyone says they are so loud and kick so hard, I'm not looking to get one I was just wondering. I think a lot of this stems from the fact that a lot of folks have M38 and M44 carbines. They are loud due to the short barrel and they kick because of their lighter weight and steel butt plate.

If you shoot a 91/30 full length rifle or a Finn M39, 7.62x54R isn't as bad and doesn't seem any louder or to kick any more than an equivalent sized 30-06 or 8mm rifle.

I never shoot my Mosin carbines without a slip on recoil pad. And remember to pull it into your shoulder like a shotgun. No point in giving it a running start on ya.

DMK
July 18, 2009, 01:22 PM
Watch your ammo choices too. There's a wide variance there.

"Heavy ball" out of one with a sterel butt plate can be pretty punishing...... That's a very good point too. I shoot the lighter 147gr stuff in my carbines and save the 170gr-200gr stuff for my M39s. Luckily, they all seem to shoot better that way too. Of course, maybe that's due to less flinch.

mcdonl
July 18, 2009, 01:33 PM
I love reloading for mine. The lee classic loader is the perfect load for target shooting, it is softer in general. If you do not reload, it cost about $75 to get into it, that includes the lee loader and the extra parts/tools you should have.

I use a 2.5 scoop of 3031, Magtech Primers and 303 cal .311 150 gr sierra bulletes and it is a great mosin load that is fun to shoot.

I get the brass from sellier bellots pre-loaded rounds that I use for hunting. Now THOSE are load and have a decent kick to them. The SB brass is awesome. I get about 6 or 7 reloads out of them

jpwilly
July 18, 2009, 07:57 PM
jpwilly: 3 questions. Is that an M44? Did you cut your barrel down any? And where did you get that compensator?

Yes, Yes, and it's a standard AK-47 7.62 (AK-74 style) brake that was threaded onto the bbl and silver soldered.

Avenger
July 18, 2009, 08:19 PM
Mosins are certainly loud, but they are common enough now that I only get a "Oh, another Mosin" reaction from other shooters at the range. If you want a REAL reaction, take a Steyr M95 to the range. Dunno why, but those little puppies prompt FAR more "***?!?!?!" moments when you touch 'em off. It's nice to hear somebody with the latest whiz-bang rifle say something along the lines of: "I thought the world just ended!"

jpwilly
July 18, 2009, 08:32 PM
^^^ Or "I felt that go right through my chest"! :cuss:

1shot3kills
July 18, 2009, 09:56 PM
that is chambered in 7mm rem mag,it will make your nose tingle,eyes blink,and your shoulders jerk,now thats loud

AKElroy
July 18, 2009, 10:11 PM
that is chambered in 7mm rem mag,it will make your nose tingle,eyes blink,and your shoulders jerk,now thats loud

And a really pretty 4' diameter fireball.

tju1973
July 18, 2009, 10:17 PM
Mine is loud..My M44 and Type 53s are loader to me than my 91/30. I did shoot with a friend that has an AK74 looking brake on his M44-- it is WAY louder than my MNs though....and the fireball is still large, but it mainly shoots out the side front instead on like 3 feet out the front...

Great fun though!!!

DMK
July 18, 2009, 10:37 PM
I did shoot with a friend that has an AK74 looking brake on his M44-- it is WAY louder than my MNs though....and the fireball is still large, but it mainly shoots out the side front instead on like 3 feet out the front...Any rifle with a brake will seem louder. The brake directs the blast back and to the sides like a retro-rocket to counter act recoil. So much of the noise that would be directed downrange instead gets directed towards those shooting next to you.

I have a FAL with a brake and folks have commented to me that it is much louder than my MN carbines. It's probably further insult to injury that I just can't resist just ripping through a 20 round mag or two every time I shoot it.

Guvnor
July 18, 2009, 10:40 PM
Are the carbine versions "too loud" for an indoor range? That must be some serious blast and shockwave hitting the neighboring firing ports.

Listen to this video :eek: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACkmNvDGE3U

jordan1948
July 18, 2009, 10:56 PM
Yes, Yes, and it's a standard AK-47 7.62 (AK-74 style) brake that was threaded onto the bbl and silver soldered. Thanks.

BlackHand1917
July 18, 2009, 11:01 PM
I remember back in 1991 or so when I brought my Chinese version of the M44 to the range for the first time and Mosin-Nagants were a lot less common in shooting circles. Fellows would walk up to me on the range after I shot a couple of rounds and say "what the heck is THAT?"

alemonkey
July 19, 2009, 12:33 AM
The 91/30's aren't too loud, no more that a 30-06. The M44's are pretty fricken loud because of the short barrel.

That being said, the other day I was 5 or 6 lanes down from a guy with a 300 Win Mag with a brake. That was one of the loudest guns I've ever heard. I could feel the muzzle blast even where I was sitting.

SHvar
July 19, 2009, 01:49 AM
Every time one was being fired on a range while we were there everyone else stopped and looked when the mosin was fired. My friends first experience with the sound was "wow, what a beast!!".

Dr-Science
July 19, 2009, 01:57 AM
Well, I was at the range a while back and there was this kid who thought he was pretty impressive not wearing hearing protection (despite all our urging to do so). We had M1 Garrands, a Mini-14, .22 LR rifle, Colt .45's, a 9 mm, 12 gauges, and my trusty 'little' Mosin Nagant M44.
Let's just say that when it started shooting he conceded to 'ear protection' (.45 shells plugged in his ears, which he claimed worked well).

Avenger29
July 19, 2009, 02:29 AM
and there was this kid who thought he was pretty impressive not wearing hearing protection

If someone's that stupid and hardheaded after being well informed of the results of not wearing hearpro, I don't give a damn that they'll suffer later.

Ignition Override
July 19, 2009, 05:45 AM
My MN 44s are a bit louder than the LE Jungle Carbine (.303), and the rounds look identical.

stubbicatt
July 19, 2009, 09:24 AM
Seems that the Mosin Nagant has more of a basso tone too it. A "boom" as opposed to a "crack" or something.

And come to think of it, you do sort of feel it in your chest and sinus.

Ohio Gun Guy
July 19, 2009, 09:34 AM
What! Cant hear you.... Ive been shooting my mosin nagant.

You'll have to speak up!

SJ1
July 19, 2009, 11:02 AM
Extremely loud.

XxWINxX94
July 19, 2009, 06:46 PM
They're real loud. When I shoot mine, its normally the loudest of the lot of guns I take to my outdoor range. A lot of WWII rifles are simalar in loudness and cartridge size. The Kar98k in 8mm, Garand in 30-06, Enfield in 303 Brit. If you really wanna get specific, then you gotta shoot one next to what you wanna compare it to. Otherwise, If your thinkin about buyin one, go for it. Really great, reliable, big guns. I picked mine up for $100.

SimpleIsGood229
July 19, 2009, 08:44 PM
The carbines are definitely louder than the long rifles, but none are that bad. Neither the M44 nor the 91/30 kick that badly, either. In fact, the M44 is actually slightly heavier than the 91/30 (my source is www.7.62x54r.net). I think the muzzle blast has a placebo effect.

I think the problem with Mosin recoil stems from the fact that lots of people fail to correctly mount the rifle to their shoulder. If mounted correctly, there will be no pain. Also keep in mind that benchrest shooting exacerbates recoil significantly.

Arkel23
July 19, 2009, 09:52 PM
If your thinkin about buyin one, go for it. I'm not thinking about buying one.

RP88
July 19, 2009, 10:17 PM
I remember when I first shot a shotgun, and when I first shot an MN.

I handled the shotgun much better.

Ignition Override
July 19, 2009, 10:29 PM
Neither the MN 44s or the LE Jungle Carbine hurt when standing, held against my skinny shoulder.

If you shoot really low-cost ammo, just imagine how much power you have in your hands, for about $.20-25/round. This is one benefit from Reagan challenging Gorbachev to "tear down this wall!", and succeeding (also thanks to the Afghan War helping to further bankrupt the Soviet Union).

This makes the recoil fun, doesn't it?

Heck
July 19, 2009, 11:24 PM
What did u say? I cant hear you. I was shootin my mosin today

Onmilo
July 19, 2009, 11:32 PM
Any 20" barrel full power rifle is loud.

Type of powder, combustion rate, I dunno, but the short carbine Mosins are just plain earth shaking.

I was shooting a Type 53 carbine down in the draw and my neighbor, who lives over a half mile from me thought I was setting off sticks of dynamite.

The long 91 rifles and the 91/30s aren't near as bad as those carbines.

Claude Clay
July 19, 2009, 11:37 PM
have a friend fire the cz-52 next to you and than the mosin doesn't seem (so) loud

jordan1948
July 19, 2009, 11:55 PM
I was shooting a Type 53 carbine down in the draw and my neighbor, who lives over a half mile from me thought I was setting off sticks of dynamite.
Same thing happened to me when I first fired my M44. Friend of mine about 1/2 mile away called and asked if I was throwing hand grenades into my pond lol.

Buck Kramer
July 20, 2009, 01:13 AM
Ive shot 50 rounds and with ear plugs no ringing, the M44 does kick more than the 91/30 I think...

loneviking
July 20, 2009, 12:59 PM
How loud? Not as loud as my '03 Springfield, but not far behind it either. The recoil isn't as bad, as you can snug the butt up tight and lean forward just a bit and be comfortable with no sling. Can't do that with the Springfield---gave up and got a 'Limbsaver'. A good pair of muffs, a limbsaver recoil pad and you'll be just fine with a Moisin. Accurate rifles too and a bargain at $100 in a lot of stores.

HoosierQ
July 20, 2009, 01:45 PM
Gee...if you can hear at all, you haven't fired one.

I doubt they are much worse than most high powered rifles. There are so many 38s and 44s with the carbine barrels that I imagine that is the source of this concern.

But yeah, they are loud. My 91/30 doesn't bother me with hearing protection.

cougar1717
July 20, 2009, 07:19 PM
Let's just put it like this: It's on my list as one of the firearms that I would rather not shoot next to unless I absolutely have to. I would also double up on hearing protection.

Hammerhead6814
July 20, 2009, 08:36 PM
cougar1717, you just don't appreciate the Mosin-Nagant :D .

Arkel23
July 20, 2009, 11:47 PM
I probably wouldn't either.

Sav .250
July 21, 2009, 10:39 AM
Avenger 29: That ringing sound will be there no matter what........ :)

memyselfandi
July 21, 2009, 08:59 PM
I've got a 91/59 (the cut down 91/30) dated 1943. It's nasty loud and the recoil can be brutal. I picked up a recoil pad aimsportinc.com, and I hope that helps.

shinyroks
February 21, 2010, 03:53 AM
my mosins aren't that bad for recoil. just hold them tight like a shotgun. Ilve noticed that they have considerably less kick than the m95 I just got. that rifle is much louder, and throws a much bigger bullet in general.

Cosmoline
February 21, 2010, 05:10 AM
There's a ton of misinformation and rumor about these rifles.

I've fired many thousands of rounds from Mosins. The 7.62x54R is on par with the .30'06. Out of a long M91 barrel the noise isn't bad at all and I've fired these long rifles without ear plugs (for hunting) and had no ringing. With the 91/30 the noise is a little more, but still not too bad. With the carbines you get more noise, because the barrels are shorter. It has nothing to do with Mosin-Nagants per se. Though some of the surplus ammo tends to throw an unusually large fireball.

As far as recoil, some people aren't used to the steel buttplate and feel pain from it. I guess they're bony or something. I find recoil from a 91/30 to be moderate, no worse. It's the same from the M-44 and a little worse for a M-38. As shinyroks correctly notes, the m95 Steyr-Mannlicher carbine has much more intense recoil. A slug gun shooting Brennekes is also much worse.

SaxonPig
February 21, 2010, 09:13 AM
"I hear Mosin Nagants are loud?"

Now THAT'S funny...

Caliper_RWVA
February 21, 2010, 10:38 AM
Seems that the Mosin Nagant has more of a basso tone too it. A "boom" as opposed to a "crack" or something.

And come to think of it, you do sort of feel it in your chest and sinus.

YES! It is more of a roar and a concussion wave than a typical gunshot sound. There also isn't much report like even a supersonic .22 makes.

I have been standing 10 feet behind someone shooting an M44 and could feel the concussion hitting my body. Sound wasn't so bad though and I could carry on a conversation on my cell phone.

My g/f, comparing me shooting a 12ga and a Finn M27 off the deck (almost as long as a 91/30 barrel) said that the Mosin was notably louder, but mostly she could see the glass on the sliding glass door flex with each shot that was 6-8 feet behind me and she felt the concussion *inside*. The dogs didn't like it much :D . The shotgun did NOT do that.

nitetrane98
February 21, 2010, 12:03 PM
I've never fired one so I don't know anything about the recoil but at our informal river plinking sessions the guy with the Mosin sporter is required to inform all that he is fixing to shoot it. IMO there's no comparison to my 1917 Enfield 30.06. I'm sure barrel length has to do with it. Really kind of a cool gun though, he's got it rigged out EBR style, poly stock, complete with green laser and copious doodads!!

Lee Roder
February 21, 2010, 01:49 PM
Not after a few rounds they're not :evil:

d2wing
February 22, 2010, 02:39 PM
Between a .308 and 30-06 in a M44.

Texas Gun Person
February 22, 2010, 02:41 PM
They kick like a new born baby. :)

They are loud though. :D

I love Mosins and could shoot them all day.

CajunBass
February 22, 2010, 02:46 PM
Well, I understand they're not quite as loud as the Krakatoa volcanic event.

But they don't miss it by much. :D

SpeedAKL
February 22, 2010, 06:17 PM
The 91/30 rifles are not bad, pretty much like any full-power milsurp rifle in terms of noise and recoil.

The carbines are a different story. The M44 has a 16-inch barrel so the blast and muzzle flash are entertainingly obnoxious. Recoil is stout but tolerable in most circumstances, though it is definitely noticeable with 180+ grain bullets.

Heavenlyfire
February 22, 2010, 08:24 PM
I don't think my M44 is that loud, and I really can't understand why everyone for 3 lanes to my left and 5 lanes to my right all jump and look at me funny when I shoot lol. As for the recoil, your right, not too bad until you hit about 75 rounds. After 150-200 it gets kind of hard to feel your right hand lol.

leadcounsel
February 22, 2010, 08:28 PM
WHAT...:evil:

sarduy
February 22, 2010, 08:33 PM
What did u say? I cant hear you. I was shootin my mosin today

no wonder... so... you were the guy next to me... man... i dont hear my .22 shots anymore...

Ben86
February 22, 2010, 08:37 PM
Yeah, I hear high powered rifles are loud.

Glock Holiday
February 22, 2010, 08:45 PM
Stand next to somebody with a Bushamster equipped with one of those God Awful Y COMP Muzzle Brakes if you want to feel a blast and give your ears a workout.

Almond27
February 24, 2010, 02:27 AM
Socom's to me are the most obnoxious at the range imagine trying to concentrate with one of those being rapid fired over and over. I'm not a M1A hater by any means heck I own one but the Socom's are worse than MN or most magnum centerfires IMO.

Mike U.
February 24, 2010, 05:22 AM
One fine day while visiting, I went out on my mom's porch and touched off a round out of my Russian M-44 and the phone immediately rang. Her next door neighbor said she was reading the paper and the BOOM! scared her so bad she wet herself.:what::evil:
She lives about 1/5th of a mile away.
She was not happy asked if she could get advance warning in the future.
I loves me some Mosin-Nagant now.:evil::D

If you enjoyed reading about "I hear Mosin Nagants are loud?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!