Beretta 92 vs Springfield XD(m)

PDA

Tiomoid
July 18, 2009, 12:31 PM
Lord knows there are more than enough of these polls around, but I could still use the help.

I've been looking to replace my current carry and have decided to drop down from a .45 to a 9mm for a number of personal reasons (please don't try to sway me). I have shot the XD(m) in .40 and found it to have light recoil and a nice trigger, I can only assume the 9mm would be just as sweet. I have not shot the 92 but have always loved the look, style, and reputation it has carried.

Assuming price is the same, which would you prefer to trust your life to? Which do you think carries better?

Any help is appreciated, but please try to stay with these two. I am open to suggestions, but I am NOT trying to buy a $1000 gun, and I don't want a Glock.

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta 92 vs Springfield XD(m)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
KegCommando
July 18, 2009, 01:12 PM
I'd certainly trust my life with the 92, but it is a lot bigger and heavier than the XDM.

You didn't state which .45 you were dropping from, but if it was a full size 1911 and one of the reasons was because of the size and weight, then I doubt you will find the 92 much of an improvement.

Having said that, given just these two choices, I'd prob still take the 92. I have no experience with the XDM, I'm sure it is a fine weapon, but the 92 has been on the market a lot longer, and has tons of aftermarket options, and is a more proven piece. Now if you said between the 92 and just a regular XD, not the XDM, for carry, then I'd prob give the nod to the XD since it is more proven than its sibling.

ArmedBear
July 18, 2009, 01:17 PM
The 92 is a great shooter. A big, bulky, heavy 9mm can be fun at the range.

I wouldn't buy one with the intent to carry it concealed, though. Not sure why you're dropping from .45 to 9mm, but unless you have an injury or something that precludes a gun with much recoil, I can't see how the 92 offers a lot as a carry gun. That's the one thing it really offers: very low recoil.

I'm a fan of the XD's manual of arms, the grip safety that allows a press check without leaving the gun out of battery or ejecting a round, and its reliability. For the range, I'd choose a 92, but for carry, the XD gets the nod.

David E
July 18, 2009, 01:37 PM
The Beretta has a long, heavy DA pull. This is followed by a long reset with long take up.

The XDm addresses these issues somewhat and has features lacking on the Beretta. The standard XD is over $100 less and with a Mec-Gar magazine, it holds 18+1, just one shy of the XDm.

I'd also consider the M&P 9mm, but there is nothing wrong with the XDm. I like mine, but it'll get a trigger job soon.

possum
July 18, 2009, 01:53 PM
i say go for the xd. why? it is an xd, has higher capacity, better trigger,(i hate ds/sa). and better sights for sure. 92's have crazy muzzle flip for a 9mm handgun, and they never fit my hand well. looks will only get you so far. i think you would be happier with the xd.

Devilfrog
July 18, 2009, 01:57 PM
Having shot the Beretta 92 and SA XDM, I would say go with the XDM. With the grip safety, 19+1 rounds, inter-change grip, 3 magazines, match barrel and many more features it is a much better package. I have an XDM currently with about 1,200 rounds through it (factory & reloads) w/o a single issue.

tbreihan
July 18, 2009, 02:02 PM
I own a Beretta 92. It is a great gun. Silhouette wise, it is virtually identical in size to government 1911. It is wider by a considerable margin, but noticeably lighter. The DA pull is long but smooth with no stacking. Its not revolver good but its good. The single action pull has about as much take-up as a Glock and, IMO, the reset is not too long. The reset is also very positive and you decisively feel it in the trigger, which is a good quality for fast follow-ups. I find the trigger to be as good or better as any DA/SA Sig or CZ I have ever shot, and the reset on the Beretta trigger is more positive. There may be some variation between examples, but mine feels very good.

As much as I like it for a range and HD pistol, I think that it would make a terrible CCW because of its size.

David E
July 18, 2009, 02:03 PM
three magazines ?

My XDm only came with two....

Devilfrog
July 18, 2009, 02:36 PM
three magazines ?

My XDm only came with two....

Yes, 3 mags, not sure if it was a promotion but that's how the local shop sells them. :D

9mmepiphany
July 18, 2009, 02:40 PM
if the Beretta fits your hand and the size doesn't bother you, i think that's the way to go. i carried one as a duty gun and also used it for CCW in an OWB holster...but it's mostly a HD gun now.

the Xm is more adaptable and lighter. the switchable backstraps don't make much difference to me as the med one fits fine.

i think the Beretta looks nicer and i like the 2nd strike capability

Deanimator
July 18, 2009, 02:46 PM
1. The Beretta is REALLY big for its caliber.
2. I hate double action triggers on autos.
3. I ESPECIALLY hate the double action trigger on the Berettas. The trigger pull on the 96D is gruesome.
4. The grip and trigger reach on the Beretta are too large and long for my hand.

I prefer Glock to Springfield, but I would have confidence in the XD(m).

BHPshooter
July 18, 2009, 04:55 PM
I have some experience with the XDm, but I actually like the regular XD better. I'd look at it, too.

I am also a fan of the Beretta 92... this would be a tough decision for me.

Good luck. ;)
Wes

Steve C
July 18, 2009, 05:04 PM
If I had only the 2 choices my pick would be the Beretta 92. Its a full size service pistol and if you can carry a 1911 Government model you won't have any problem with the 92. My Beretta 92F has been a great gun extremely reliable with very good DA and SA trigger.

I was turned off on the XD's when visiting one of my regular gun shops a customer brought one in so tied up it had to go to the gun smith to get working again. The customer said it had happened while shooting. The salesman behind the counter said he'd seen the problem a couple times and it was the recoil spring assembly locking up the slide. After that I had no real desire to own or shoot one of them.

My personal choice for a CCW pistol is a Glock 19, perfect size IMO.

sw282
July 18, 2009, 05:04 PM
I have a 92 Compact. Bought it used off the net. I have a fullsize 92F also. I like the size of the compact. I dont like the XD because of the silly grip safety and the inferior Quality

Jed Carter
July 18, 2009, 06:41 PM
Beretta sexy and very reliable all metal pistol. XD very reliable, very not sexy, very homely, very plastic pistol like a Glock. Went to the range with a man that has a very old and not very well maintained 92FS (the barrel and slide are totally pitted and were covered in rust). After a detailed cleaning it shot flawlessly but not as accurately as my Glock 34, or as he put it "my tupperware gun". Anyone that has anything bad to say about the Beretta is just jealous, I currently own 2 Beretta's a 950 and an 87 target, and 1 Springfield a 1911 Longslide. I have nothing bad to say about the XD's, I just find them ugly... Have you considered the H&K P30L? Or the CZ 75B-P01?

MikkOwl
July 18, 2009, 07:02 PM
I would trust my life with either. Comfort wise, having something less snaggy and lighter is preferable. Safety is probably comparable to the two. The XDM has noticably more ammo, at the same weight, and higher capacity in the gun itself which is a plus.

XDM is what I would choose, from a practical standpoint. For emotional, fun ownership and fun shooting, I'd choose the Beretta 92FS. More fun controls to toy with, full metal, etc. :)

Here's a list I compiled of how much different pistols weigh with a FULL MAG inserted. That's what matters. I can't believe people compare them without ammo in them, especially for carry. What's the point of that? And for courtesy's sake, I translated all the metric into OUNCES.. for you old, oooooold fashioned Americans ;) The last number indicates how much ammo is in the magazine (thus none in the chamber). Bullet weighs used are the ones used by the US Military for it's .45 (some kind of ball ammo) and 9mm NATO loadings.

MODEL....................LOADED WITH FULL MAGAZINE

- 9MM FULL -
CZ-75B...................41.8 oz (15)
Sig Sauer P226.........40.1 oz (15)
Beretta 92FS............39.4 oz (15)
XDM 9mm ...............39.0 oz (19)
XD Service 9mm........34.5 oz (16)
S&W M&P.................34.1 oz (17)
GLOCK 17 ...............31.9 oz (17)

- .45 FULL -
1911A1...................48.0 oz ( 7)
XD .45....................43.1 oz (13)
GLOCK 21...............42.6 oz (13)
Kimber Pro Carry II...35.0 oz ( 7)

- 9MM COMPACT -
Sig Sauer P229.........37.3 oz (13)
GLOCK 19 ...............30.0 oz (15)

ArmedBear
July 18, 2009, 07:15 PM
the silly grip safety

That's probably because you don't know what the grip safety does. It has a few functions.

Anyway, I feel no particular love for my XD. It's an excellent TOOL, though, like a good power drill.

The guns I really LIKE are generally revolvers, anyway.

TheProf
July 18, 2009, 07:19 PM
The 92 (or M9 as it is known in the military) is flawless...very dependable. It's bulky...to bulky to carry IMHO...but what a great house gun (if you prefer the 9mm).

Fishman777
July 18, 2009, 10:30 PM
I absolutely love the Beretta 92 series, but the XD(M) is the better gun. I would get the XD(M) and not second guess myself one bit. That is just me. I think that the 92 is more reliable, but I think that the XD(M) has it beat in every other category.

David E
July 18, 2009, 11:28 PM
I think that the 92 is more reliable,

And you base that statement on what?

The torture tests I have read/seen show the XD is very reliable. I don't think the 92 would hold up nearly as well.

ReloaderFred
July 19, 2009, 12:00 AM
Having shot the Model 92 Beretta quite a bit, and owning an XD-M, my choice would be the XD-M. You'll have to put them in your hand and shoot them both to know which is best for you.

Hope this helps.

Fred

amd6547
July 19, 2009, 12:02 AM
Hmmm...To me, reliability is first.
I love my 92FS.

uvausmc
July 19, 2009, 04:51 AM
I have a XDm .40 back home and carry a Beretta M9 everyday here in the sandbox. The beretta is well-made, fairly accurate and reliable however i hate the trigger. I'm not a fan of DA/SA triggers in the first place because i like consistency and the beretta's is just too heavy and creepy. That being said, i can still shoot it really well but I would take my XDm over it any day. Part of that is because I'm not a 9mm fan but in a carry gun you can use hollowpoint +P ammo (which we can't) so "stopping power" is not as big an issue. The XDm's trigger is consistant (though can still use some work when it comes from the factory) it has multiple backstraps, and the factory .40 S&W mags will hold more rounds than my 9mm M9.

golden
July 19, 2009, 01:32 PM
I have shot the BERETTA 92 and 96 quite a bit. I used to carry the 96d Brigadier on duty. It is as reliable as any pistol made. Since I like double action only, I also love the BERETTA trigger. It is smoooooooth and not to heavy.
The accuracy is great! A man size target can be hit at 100 yards with a good rest position.

My only experience with an XD was a disapointment. I rented one at the range and did not like the trigger or the feel.

That may be just me, but that it what I have to go by.

BERETTA for me.

Jim

jackdanson
July 19, 2009, 02:36 PM
I have a 92 and a xd subcompact. I wouldn't want to carry the 92 on a regular basis. Although an (M) isn't really any smaller. Did you consider a xd subcompact?

It's a coin toss, try shooting both and see which you like better.

Tiomoid
July 19, 2009, 09:37 PM
To answer some questions I have received about this post: I currently carry a .45 double stack with a 4" barrel. I am withholding the name so that it is not compared to the two guns in question. I am not a fan of DAO guns so getting a 92 in DAO is out of the question, if I purchased a 92 I would probably carry with one in the hole, cocked, with the safety on. I have no problems with the grip safety on the Xd's, in fact I kind of like them, they take one step out of shooting the gun after a draw...

The poll is currently tied with a 50/50 vote and more or less mirrors my personal opinion. That makes it all the more difficult for me to pick a new carry, I was hoping the community could lean definitively towards one or the other. Shucks.

Once again, I'm always open to suggestions and opinions. I don't have to agree, but I will listen.

David E
July 19, 2009, 09:46 PM
I bet your .45 doublestack has a little brother chambered in 9mm.......why not that one?

9mmepiphany
July 19, 2009, 10:01 PM
if I purchased a 92 I would probably carry with one in the hole, cocked, with the safety on.

which model of Beretta do you have that you'd carry it in condition 1

WalkAbout
July 19, 2009, 10:26 PM
I was wondering that too 9mmepiphany. I have two 92's and a 96 (which is DAO w/ no safety). On both of my 92's the safety decocks the weapon when engaged. I wasn't aware that Beretta made one that could be carried in condition 1, but I'm intrigued now.

b

PS- As you probably already figured out, I voted for the Beretta.

WalkAbout
July 19, 2009, 10:36 PM
Just found the answer in another thread.

http://www.berettaweb.com/92%20Combat/Beretta%20Combat.htm

92 cocked and locked. It's pricey though. A thoroughly incomplete and quick google search revealed two, one for $1500 and one for $1450.

Mikhail Weiss
July 19, 2009, 10:43 PM
I'd go for the XD(M). Having shot both it and the Beretta, and having liked both guns, I simply prefer the simplicity of the XD(M) trigger system over any DA/SA defensive pistol. I also prefer the XD(M)'s grip to the comfy-but-chubby-feeling Beretta, and it holds a few more rounds. Not a bad thing, especially if you have any reservations about a switcheroo from .45 to 9mm.

As to which I'd trust my life to, either would do, though I give the XD(M) the edge for this reason: I used to carry a DA/SA pistol on the job for years, managed it reasonably well, but eventually switched to a Glock because I'm just a little faster to the first shot with that one (and it's lighter than the .45 I had been toting).

sokygunner
July 19, 2009, 11:13 PM
We use the Beretta 92 as a duty weapon in the Federal Bureau of Prisons. Personally, I love the gun and have one of my own as well. Very accurate as a combat weapon, fits my hands well (and I have extremely small hands...I'm only 5' 8" and have hands the size of my sister...don't laugh I put every round from the course of fire in the X ring come qual time), is extremely well balanced and pointable, and is extremely reliable. I've only seen one fail and that particular weapon had upwards of 50,000 rounds through it at the time the extractor had a hiccup from being worn and failed to extract 1 empty case. Not extremely easy to conceal but I walk around with one in an inside the waist holster in the small of my back almost every day off duty with no problem. With more shooting the trigger will get smoother and lighter and is actually very pleasing right out of the box on the new ones. Bottom line, I go for the 92. I have had an XD 5inch tactical and liked it but the beretta is very well proven and if you like the grip angle and sight alignment on a 1911, then you will feel right at home with the beretta.

IdahoLT1
July 19, 2009, 11:47 PM
The only Beretta 92/96 that can be carried in condition 1 is the I-Steel, and i believe the Billenium. But ithey are easily a $1000-$1400 target/competitioon pistol. They are also basically a collectors item because of their rarity. The rest of the 92/96 series are either DAO's or DA/SA's with a decocker.

AcceptableUserName
July 20, 2009, 02:50 AM
Beretta 92fs no question. Metal vs. Plasticm etal wins it for me. And I'm a fan of the XD so I'm not biased. And unless a trigger pull is like a surplus Mosin Nagant, I don't really notice. Just point and pull already. I am not a target shooter so trigger pull isn't anywhere near as important as the gun feeding reliably and lasting a long time.

Woodshark
July 20, 2009, 03:14 AM
Compare: 92f da/sa trigger , grip like a 2x4 (face it not everyone has hands like a gorilla)and a 16 rd mag in 9mm (and NOT rated for +p or +p+ ammo) Then we have the XDm: one constant trigger pull, 16 rd mags in .40 s&w, a grip shaped like a Browning high power (universally accepted as one of the best ever) and it is probably cheaper.

lawboy
July 20, 2009, 03:33 AM
I voted Beretta 92. If I had to choose one of these two that would be the one. I like metal guns. I dislike DA/SA triggers, but I distrust plastic in a carry gun even more.

With both of these guns you are pressing guns into the CCW role that were not designed nor conceived to perform that function. In my opinion, they will not perform it well. A carry gun needs to be "livable." That means it is small enough, ergonomic enough, powerful enough and user friendly enough to be present on your person, adequately concealed, regardless of weather, clothing, location or company. Neither of these two guns comes even remotely close to being able to do that for me.
I would not carry either of them concealed if I had the choice of other guns in the same price range. I have used the 92 on a limited basis. I have never seen an XD/m in the flesh. I have fired the XD plenty though. If the XD/m is similar in size and weight to the XD, it will make a poor concealment weapon under many circumstances.

KegCommando
July 20, 2009, 03:46 PM
92f....[snip]...(and NOT rated for +p or +p+ ammo)

Huh?

Hasn't this been put to rest yet?

NATO M882 ball is pretty well accepted to be at pressure levels higher than commercial +p ammo.

Can you use it: Yes.
Will it wear out your gun faster: Yes.

But give any pistol a heavy dose of hot ammo, and you will wear it out sooner than if you didn't.

IdahoLT1
July 20, 2009, 08:36 PM
Compare: 92f da/sa trigger , grip like a 2x4 (face it not everyone has hands like a gorilla)and a 16 rd mag in 9mm (and NOT rated for +p or +p+ ammo) Then we have the XDm: one constant trigger pull, 16 rd mags in .40 s&w, a grip shaped like a Browning high power (universally accepted as one of the best ever) and it is probably cheaper.

The type of trigger is a personal preference. IMO, its apples to oranges between these 2 pistols. A firearms action needs to be compared to another firearms similar action(i.e. Glock to XD, Beretta 92 to CZ)

I have small hands, yet the Beretta 92 fits it well. Grip type/angle is also a personal preferance.

The 92 does have a similar grip angle to the 1911, its just a bit wider.

Mecgar makes flush fit 18 round magazines for the Beretta 92 so its down 1 round from the 9mm XDm.

The 92 was built/designed to use 9x19mm NATO rounds which have similar pressure to factory 9mm +P rounds. +P+ is used for sub machine guns so no pistols are really designed to use it. zThe 92F was also testedinfront of US military officials and the guns tested fired an average of 20,500 rounds before their first malfunction.

And the XDm and 92F are equally priced, usually ~$550-$600. although used Beretta's can be had for ~$400-$450 and they are still in good condition.

JAV8000
July 21, 2009, 01:17 AM
If you like DA and SA revolver triggers than the Beretta 92 will be one of your favorite autos. If you're used to Glock triggers, the XD will be your cup of joe. I personally can't deal with the vague triggers on striker fired guns. I voted for the 92, an accurate, reliable, and fun gun to shoot.

m500'92
July 21, 2009, 05:18 PM
I prefer metal but if it's for carrying you might want a lighter gun so theres also the Beretta 90-Two, a polymer framed version of the M92, that would reduce the weight for carrying.

outerlimit
July 21, 2009, 05:20 PM
I like the Springfield XD, even though I am not a fan of plastic pistols. But I would have to go with the Beretta 92FS because it is a proven design.

SwampWolf
July 21, 2009, 05:35 PM
The type of trigger is a personal preference. IMO, its apples to oranges between these 2 pistols. A firearms action needs to be compared to another firearms similar action(i.e. Glock to XD, Beretta 92 to CZ)

Spot on, IdahoLT1. Upon first reading this thread, I thought the comparison between the two pistols in question was an apples and oranges proposition because, as you so aptly noted, the triggers are so different in concept and execution. I voted for the Beretta because I much prefer a "traditional" double-action (that is, da transitioning to sa) or a single-action carried cocked and locked to any other trigger system for self-defense purposes. But that's just me and my opinion strongly reflects my training experience.

Otis
July 22, 2009, 12:21 AM
I own both, I shoot a much tighter group with the Beretta but dont have a single bad thing to say about the XDm. I carry the XDm, multiple you dont have to think about it safeties. Not to worried about the tighter groups I get with my Beretta because at least one of the 17 rounds of .40 are going to hit what I am pointing at. If not I have another full mag to use.

My ever so helpful suggestion, GET BOTH and be done with it.

Dont bother to thank me, your are welcome.

Otis

johnnylaw53
July 22, 2009, 07:07 AM
I get a kick when people say the 92 is too big for a 9mm that like saying the s&w mod 15 is too big for a .38 it was and is a pistol for open carry in a duty rig. If you looking for a ccw yes there too many down falls to the 92 which are big and heavy but for a duty weapon or an HD nothing at all wrong with it and on the range the weight really help with control. I had carried the 92 hidden when I was assign close cover for an U.C. but I knew about that assignment and dress to hide it but never been my choice for daily concealed carry

be safe

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta 92 vs Springfield XD(m)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!