Winchester Trapper SBR?

PDA

John Parker
July 18, 2009, 07:13 PM
Hey everyone, I was at my neighbor's house today and he pulled out a Winchester Model 94 with the large lever that he's had for 20-30 years and never fired. Yeah, I know...he's got a few like that. I didn't have a measuring tape handy, but the barrel looked shorter than 16". Did Winchester ever make a Trapper that short? I've googled it but didn't come up with anything that assuaged all doubts...
And if he does have a rifle that is under 16", would he, as the original buyer, be grandfathered in, or would he have to register it as a SBR with the BATFE (or whatever they call themselves this week?)

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester Trapper SBR?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
July 18, 2009, 07:19 PM
They made one many many years ago, but not with a large loop lever.
It has collecter C&R status now and is exempt from the SBR law.

I'd suspect if it has a large loop lever, it is a newer one somebody cut off.
It would need a tax stamp if shorter then 16".

Large loop levers were a Movie/TV invention in the 1950's & 60's.

rc

John Parker
July 18, 2009, 07:24 PM
Yeah, he bought it 20-30 years ago, so unless someone cut it down before he bought it. It's weird to think that 20-30 years ago was the late 70's and 80's...

rcmodel
July 18, 2009, 07:31 PM
We're talking prior to the 1934 FFA when they made the real C&R exempt ones.

Anything after that would be a sawed-off SBR regardless of when it was sawed off.

rc

John Parker
July 19, 2009, 05:41 PM
Okay, thanks. I'm not even sure it's under 16", it just looks really short.

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester Trapper SBR?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!