I getting out of the military soon, how is oregon? in terms of pro firearms

PDA

datruth
July 18, 2009, 11:13 PM
I live in Washington and will be getting out of the army in about a year or so, Oregon is just south of me, looks like it might be a great place, so whats it like for firearms, class three stuff and sbs,sbr and suppressors, and general outdoors hunting fishing and stuff Like that.

If you enjoyed reading about "I getting out of the military soon, how is oregon? in terms of pro firearms" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sunray
July 18, 2009, 11:20 PM
Go here for a start. http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/ORSL.pdf

EvanWilliams
July 18, 2009, 11:54 PM
Have you considered Texas? Economy, jobs, guns it's all good.

M60
July 19, 2009, 12:00 AM
http://www.m-mason.smugmug.com/gallery/3489781_Sb9Cg

Here is an example of Oregon in action.

We're also a "Shall issue" state.

-Mark.

BENELLIMONTE
July 19, 2009, 12:02 AM
da'

Try Wyoming, Montana or one of the other "mountain states".

wrs840
July 19, 2009, 12:06 AM
If I had no particular ties, and was thinking about a state to move to, it would probably be Texas. Their state budget surplus says a lot these days. They'll also probably be the first state to declare independence from Federal Stupidity, if and when the time comes.

Les

datruth
July 19, 2009, 12:11 AM
I love saltwater fishing not to get off topic , I want be be no more than an hour from a coastline(saltwater), and one hour away from decent hunting whitetail/blacktail, mule,or elk boar/wild pig maybe and plenty of freedom for Firearms owners, Short barrel rifles, shotguns and suppresors as well as cc, is that to much to ask, that would be perfect for me to live comfotably, and low crime rate,:)

fatelk
July 19, 2009, 02:13 AM
Got a job lined up? I got laid off from the high-tech industry almost nine months ago, and am still looking. I was offered a transfer to Dallas, Phoenix, or Salt Lake, but decided to take a severance and stay here. Had I known it would be this long, I may have made a different decision..:scrutiny:

Unfortunately Oregon is now run by a crowd who idolizes California lunacy. So far they've left us mostly alone regarding guns, and it is a great place to live for the reasons you've mentioned and more, but given the ideology of the powers that be in Salem, who knows about the future.

datruth
July 19, 2009, 02:40 AM
but will need to consider that as well, my true passion is firearms and would love to go somewhere where a job in the firearms industry is available.

iHateRodents
July 19, 2009, 02:43 AM
Oregon's pretty good for gun rights. Nothing particularly worse than the rest of the country, and better than most of it.

cyclopsshooter
July 19, 2009, 02:50 AM
imho washington-

Nematocyst
July 19, 2009, 02:52 AM
Da,

For what you seek, go to the SW part of the state, not the NW.

SW is much more ... wild and free, less regulated, less populated.

Do research on the state of Jefferson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Jefferson), also.

Pay attention to Rogue River area near CA.

jim in Anchorage
July 19, 2009, 03:09 AM
Anchorage. I don't know how gun rights could be better unless the state issued them[guns] to us. I am a 1 hour drive from Whittier[fabulous salt water fishing] and the hunting is,well Alaska[although it can get expensive,even for a resident] Economy good[oil based] no state tax,no sales tax. Vast amount of public land.

JohnnyOrygun
July 19, 2009, 03:28 AM
Oregon is generally pretty good Gun, hunting, fishing and for all sorts of recreational activities. As far as SBR, Suppressors, and such, I believe as long as you avoid Portland, you are good to go, most of the Sheriffs here are progun and generally have no problem with those items. As Nematocyst pointed out, avoid the Willamette Valley and you should be fine. I am in Roseburg and we have all you are looking for gun wise, hunting, fishing and etc, the only thing we lack is jobs. Eugene might have more jobs, but it is generally a more liberal area, but there are quite a few gunners up there and you can even fire a fully auto Tommy gun at the Baron's Den. Of course Oregon has a few other nice benefits, no sales tax and really low auto registration fees, but we do have income and property taxes.

One of these days maybe the State of Jefferson will be a reality, the last time they tried their timing was off a little, they declared the State of Jefferson on Nov, 27 1941 or very close to that date. Obviously the Japanese sort of messed things up a little.

But all in all, Oregon is a great place. I know I was really happy to get back to Oregon in 2004 after having been trapped in Komifornia for 7 years.

Good Luck wherever you end up and Thanks for your service!
JohnnyOrygun

IdahoLT1
July 19, 2009, 03:43 AM
Idaho is more lax when it comes to less gun control. As far as i have looked into it, Idaho is one of the States with the fewest gun laws. IMO, we have less restrictive gun laws than Texas.

Heres a recent study(Feb '09) on which states are more "free". This is a broad study, but firearms are considered in it.
http://www.mercatus.org/uploadedFiles/Mercatus/Publications/Freedom%20in%20the%2050%20States.pdf

Page 25 has individual state summaries.

The end results are:

Table V: Overall Freedom Ranking
State Overall Freedom
1. New Hampshire 0.432
2. Colorado 0.421
3. South Dakota 0.392
4. Idaho 0.356
5. Texas 0.346
6. Missouri 0.320
7. Tennessee 0.284
8. Arizona 0.279
9. Virginia 0.275
10. North Dakota 0.268
11. Utah 0.250
12. Kansas 0.210
13. Indiana 0.208
14. Michigan 0.206
15. Wyoming 0.193
16. Iowa 0.183
17. Georgia 0.146
18. Oklahoma 0.143
19. Montana 0.125
20. Pennsylvania 0.102
21. Alabama 0.092
22. Florida 0.068
23. North Carolina 0.019
24. Nevada 0.013
25. Mississippi -0.004
26. Delaware -0.008
27. Oregon -0.009
28. Nebraska -0.018
29. Arkansas -0.023
30. South Carolina -0.040
31. Alaska -0.071
32. Kentucky -0.082
33. West Virginia -0.097
34. Louisiana -0.110
35. Minnesota -0.111
36. New Mexico -0.150
37. Wisconsin -0.199
38. Ohio -0.205
39. Maine -0.214
40. Vermont -0.217
41. Connecticut -0.225
42. Illinois -0.238
43. Massachusetts -0.242
44. Washington -0.275
45. Hawaii -0.304
46. Maryland -0.405
47. California -0.413
48. Rhode Island -0.430
49. New Jersey -0.457
50. New York -0.784

Nematocyst
July 19, 2009, 03:53 AM
Eugene might have more jobs, but it is generally a more liberal area ...
Eugene is a small-time freak show that thinks it's a city.

It's deluded. It may be the 2nd/3rd largest "city" in Oregon, but it's a town.

When I want freak show, I go all the way up to Portland to immerse myself in it.

Nematocyst
July 19, 2009, 03:55 AM
Deleted yet another duplicate post caused by a server hang.
Second in as many days. What's up with the server?

Pack
July 19, 2009, 07:31 AM
I love saltwater fishing not to get off topic , I want be be no more than an hour from a coastline(saltwater), and one hour away from decent hunting whitetail/blacktail, mule,or elk boar/wild pig maybe and plenty of freedom for Firearms owners, Short barrel rifles, shotguns and suppresors as well as cc, is that to much to ask, that would be perfect for me to live comfotably, and low crime rate,:)
1) acclimate yourself to some serious heat, if your service (thank you for it) hasn't seen to that already, and

2) come to South Carolina (just wait a few months - finding a job here right now is NOT easy)*

*But, Boeing did just sign the papers to buy the Vought airframe plant down outside of Charleston, along with a bunch of land. The rumor is they intend to expand the facility, and build the new 787 "Dreamliner" aircraft here on a second line (complementing the one in WA, in fact). Let's hope they follow through!

Also, now that the M4 isn't just Colt's baby, but will be open for bidding, FN will likely win that war, and their main US manufacturing operation is right here, as well.

statelineblues
July 19, 2009, 09:40 AM
I'm guessing you want to stay on the left(ist) coast, but for all the reasons you mentioned -

I love saltwater fishing not to get off topic , I want be be no more than an hour from a coastline(saltwater), and one hour away from decent hunting

you might want to consider New Hampshire - excellent state for everything you're looking for, and I believe it is a "Shall Issue" for CCW as well. Jobs might be an issue, tho - like most places around the country it's not easy to find one there.

datruth
July 19, 2009, 02:05 PM
just thinking of doing something different and would like to move somewhere that's pro firearms, great fishing(saltwater) and great hunting and nice area, low crime lower cost of leaving than Wa.

hawmanai
July 19, 2009, 02:55 PM
There is a definite difference in attitudes when comparing East OR to West OR (divided by the Cascades). Also remember Oregon has one of the higher unemployment rates in the Nation.

East Orygun is still in the Old West, open space, cattle is King. Lots of public land to hunt on. But the winters can be long and cold.

West Oregon has had a lot of California City Folks that have moved in and influence the Lawmaking to the Left. The Eugene area is the epicenter for Eco-terrorism http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/20/AR2006012001823.html .

For what you described, I would consider Coos Bay, Myrtle Point, Coquille, area. Not many people, Ocean, mountains, it's nice there. Cost of living is lower due to the collapse of the timber industry from eco lawsuits.

rogertc1
July 19, 2009, 03:17 PM
Oregon has the 3rd highest tax rate in the USA

Judicator
July 19, 2009, 08:59 PM
For all it's faults, I still love living in Oregon. I'm in Yamhill County, which is only 45 minutes away from the coast, a half hour away from the capital, and only a hour or so from the Portland/Tigard/Beaverton metro area. The weather is pretty awesome most of the time, and the folks are pretty gun friendly in my area. There's a company in Dundee, just a fifteen minute drive away that builds silencers:

http://www.trosusa.com/

I'm pretty happy where I'm at.

Nematocyst
July 19, 2009, 09:32 PM
The Eugene area is the epicenter for Eco-terrorism http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...012001823.html .Well, that's a stretch. Despite that particular case, I'd hardly call it an "epicenter for eco-terrorism". Eugene may have had its day, but now there are other areas both north and south that could more easily be labeled that.

No, Eugene is really just a relatively sleepy (in my book) semi-freak show,
but not in the sense of a San Fran or NYC.

Oregon has the 3rd highest tax rate in the USA. But no sales tax.

Dr. Fresh
July 19, 2009, 09:39 PM
If you move there, get your concealed carry permit. Without it, localities have a lot of leeway in terms of prohibiting open carry and I think even vehicle carry. They do have state preemption, but it isn't as good as Washington's.

From my understanding of it, if you have the permit you are exempt from local ordinances prohibiting types of carry. For instance, I believe you can open carry a sidearm in Portland, but only if you have a concealed carry permit. Likewise, I believe it also allows you to get around prohibitions of loaded longarm carry.

IdahoLT1
July 20, 2009, 12:39 AM
If you move there, get your concealed carry permit. Without it, localities have a lot of leeway in terms of prohibiting open carry and I think even vehicle carry. They do have state preemption, but it isn't as good as Washington's.

From my understanding of it, if you have the permit you are exempt from local ordinances prohibiting types of carry. For instance, I believe you can open carry a sidearm in Portland, but only if you have a concealed carry permit. Likewise, I believe it also allows you to get around prohibitions of loaded longarm carry.

See thats too much "gun control". In Idaho, open carry is legal in any city or any part of the state (short of a the person being a felon or at a bank or school). Outside of city limits, concealed carry is legal w/out a permit as long as the person is engaging in any legal activity (i.e. fishing, hunting, camping back packing, riding ATV's/snowmobiles, etc)

With the exception of salt water fishing, Idaho has everything the OP wants in a state to reside in. Its definately the best choice of the NW states.

BENELLIMONTE
July 20, 2009, 12:50 AM
datruth

Check out the areas around Tillamook & Garibaldi for hunting and fishing.

Mags
July 20, 2009, 02:16 AM
Re Up if you can and don't worry about it yet.

M60
July 20, 2009, 02:31 AM
See thats too much "gun control". In Idaho, open carry is legal in any city or any part of the state (short of a the person being a felon or at a bank or school). Outside of city limits, concealed carry is legal w/out a permit as long as the person is engaging in any legal activity (i.e. fishing, hunting, camping back packing, riding ATV's/snowmobiles, etc)

With the exception of salt water fishing, Idaho has everything the OP wants in a state to reside in. Its definately the best choice of the NW states.

Nevermind. I'm a retard.

-Mark.

Dr. Fresh
July 20, 2009, 06:00 PM
IdahoLT1, I agree. Right now I live in Pullman, WA, very close to Idaho, and I enjoy the firearms freedoms of that great state frequently. Oregon is only gun-friendly to those with CPLs.

smithmax
July 20, 2009, 06:15 PM
Oregon is great place for all those things you mentioned. I live in Springfield (grew up in Eugene), and there are skiing and beaches an hour in either direction. Plus beautiful hiking and camping. On the hunting note, most (if not all rifle) hunts East of the Cascades are lottery/limited hunts, whereas West of the Cascades are mostly open hunts. The Willamette Valley is the blue part of the state, the rest is mostly red (look up voting maps to see for yourself). The biggest issue in Lane County is a lack of jail space for criminals, but that is about to change very soon.

If your DD-214 shows pistol training (and you are honorably discharged) I believe you can get a CHL without any further training, just pay your fees and wait for the background check to clear.

Nematocyst
July 21, 2009, 02:41 AM
The biggest issue in Lane County is a lack of jail space for criminals, but that is about to change very soon. I've been told that if one is to be arrested anywhere, Lane Co. is the best place for it
since you'll get out most quickly because they have so little jail space.

searcher451
July 21, 2009, 11:56 AM
Oregon is a fine place to live, and gun owners here are made to feel welcome. The Oregon coast is beautiful; as is the High Desert country; as are the mountains; as are the valleys. I'm in a small town on the eastern border at the moment, doing some work for a couple of weeks, and have come across three good-sized gun shops. I've stopped in to visit all three, and the owners and/or clerks were friendly and knowledgeable. I've lived in five different states. Oregon is the best of the bunch by far, and gun considerations are always near the top of my list.

If you enjoyed reading about "I getting out of the military soon, how is oregon? in terms of pro firearms" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!