Rattlesnakes!

PDA

wankerjake
July 19, 2009, 02:44 AM
Well, I took my brother-in-law out coyote hunting today, trying to help out the deer herd. Anyway no luck, we saw one but it got away. Good day for snakes though. We got three, all with the SP101 loaded with #8 shot. For all you doubters and to those who are curious, snake #8 shot out of a snub nose kills snakes dead in a hurry. Two of the three didn't even flinch, one took about 10 seconds to die, but it just coiled up and writhed around. It didn't try to strike us. They were all shot at about 3 yards. Hope they taste good, their skins are tacked up on a board in the garage, we'll see how that goes. Anyway here's some pics to get us thru the offseason.

This is a pic of the first one before he got drilled. He was the biggest, pushing 36"
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo33/wankerjake/100_2553.jpg

King snake, we let him go. I got no beef with king snakes:
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo33/wankerjake/100_2554.jpg

Yours truly with a pair of western diamondbacks:
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo33/wankerjake/100_2560.jpg

The first one skinned with the others + the Sp101:
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo33/wankerjake/100_2563.jpg

Snake medicine. It's a garaunteed cure:
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo33/wankerjake/100_2566.jpg

Me and James:
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo33/wankerjake/100_2569.jpg

Redneck vittles:
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo33/wankerjake/100_2581.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Rattlesnakes!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
IdahoLT1
July 19, 2009, 03:12 AM
Personally, i hate rattlesnakes. If its out of my path, i will leave it alone. But, if theres one coiled up and in my path, its dead. I cut off the head and then bury it. I guess i just cant eat something i hate. I enjoy eating so i guess i cant enjoy eating something i hate.

smithmax
July 19, 2009, 04:15 AM
What's the purpose of cutting off the head and burying them?

wankerjake
July 19, 2009, 04:23 AM
What's the purpose of cutting off the head and burying them?
I think it's a piece of mind kind of thing. I left them lay.

AirForceShooter
July 19, 2009, 08:59 AM
Come to Florida. We have lot's of pythons you can kill.

AFS

MCgunner
July 19, 2009, 09:57 AM
Fried rattler is good eatin'. Not sure about python. I never had a problem killin' 'em with a 148 grain wadcutter. I've never figured out why guys think they have to use shot loads. Just head shoot the thing. Hell, I've done it with a .22HP from a NAA mini revolver before. At ten feet, it's easy.

mokin
July 19, 2009, 10:20 AM
I hope you were only killing the ones that didn't rattle at you. Up here the snakes are starting to learn not to warn you.

MCgunner
July 19, 2009, 10:57 AM
A rattler won't always rattle. "Learning" has little to do with it. They all taste good, though. :D

countertop
July 19, 2009, 12:09 PM
Come to Florida. We have lot's of pythons you can kill.

How do you hunt pythons?? I've never seen one in Florida, but understand they have become a big ecolgoical nightmare.

longdayjake
July 19, 2009, 12:12 PM
Ive found that depending on the heat and time of day their willingness to rattle varies.

hardluk1
July 19, 2009, 12:12 PM
One reason to cut the head off it is full of poison ,They can bit at them selfs and they will strike with out a head, I know. Cut them up and treat them just like whole small cat fish and fry them . The meat can be a bit striggy but eats good. We use to do this in florida and cook at fish fries. MCgunner snake shot does give you a little bit for a chance to kill them with a quick first shot (snakes that is) when walk'n knee deep in water and one is 1 or 2' from you and pissed. Rattlers swim good and mocs will sometimes keep come'n at you. SO if your in snake country ,rat shot is a smart thing to do. Get your self a big snake coiled up and you can also shoot a lot of holes in that sucker try'n to kill it. I walked up on a 8'6" rattler years back and the only reason he did not bit me was he was all ready full of a small sized raccoon. I shot it 10 times with a 22 at 3 to 8 feet with me back'n up. I carried rat shot after that snake.

rcmodel
July 19, 2009, 01:00 PM
An 8 1/2 foot Rattlesnake?

MY, that's a big one!

rc

41magsnub
July 19, 2009, 01:41 PM
Real men use rocks...

In this case it was out of necessity. Little bugger took a bite at my dad after I think he stepped on it, luckily just got his waders and missed his leg. This one was hanging out in the middle of a public trail with kids and dogs running around so it had to die.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff299/trebligb/snake1.jpg
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff299/trebligb/snake2.jpg
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff299/trebligb/snake3.jpg

The one time I went rattlesnake hunting my buddies mocked me mercilessly but I got the most kills. They all showed up with .22's and various revolvers with rat shot. I showed up with a 20ga loaded with whatever I was using for pheasants that year not being interesting in messing around! I don't go out looking for them anymore since I'm not going to eat them.

MCgunner
July 19, 2009, 02:18 PM
When I'm out and about, I wear snake boots.

Get your self a big snake coiled up and you can also shoot a lot of holes in that sucker try'n to kill it.

Maybe I'm just that good, but it never takes me, but one shot to the head. There sometimes ain't enough left of the head to bury, though, but it only takes one shot. I've even shot a lot of water snakes in the water with .22 pistols and rifles. One was coming after me, but it was a non-venomous snake. Still kinda scary when the head is 2 feet out of the water comin' at ya. ROFL. Those things are aggressive when POed. Took me four shots to hit his head on that one. I'd hit him amid ships at about 25 yards, knocked him off a log, he came up and saw me in my little boat and came after me. I was about ready to drop the gun and grab the paddle, but hit his head about 5 yards out.

If I was that bad with a handgun, I'd carry my .410 Contender and live happy. I've killed a few with it, too. It's usually what I go snake huntin' with. It's also neat cause I can unscrew the choke, drop in a hot .45 Colt, if I hear hogs comin'. :D It'll also take a rabbit on the run out to 25 yards. Up close, it's more like shooting a bullet than shot, very tight pattern with the choke installed.

hardluk1
July 19, 2009, 06:55 PM
rc model That was the biggest live rattler i ever say and MCgunner when i walked up on that snake it was coiled and i got to 3 feet of that snake and if not full could have struck 4' away so i got lucky and new it 10rounds later. This was not a snake i wanted to have a chance of getting away . As 41magsnub said ,i use to use rocks or sticks to hit them till i quite drink'n.hehe. Most times in the winter is when we would go snake hunting ,wait a couple hours for them to get in the roads to warm,easy pick'ns there. But walk'n in swamps even snake boots are under water so you just go and hunt .If you look for them you can't hunt,just keep move'n. In my drunk'n days i was frog'n ,walk'n in a ditch about 4 feet wide look'n for big frogs when i walked up on a 4' moc dick deep in water and that sucker almost got me before useing the gig to get him. That ended a good day of frog'n. Only one other time did snakes screw up a good day in the swamps and thats when you find yourself in a nest of mocs, 20 or better within 30 foot. Go back to camp and cook some breakfast and start over. That was 30 years ago

hardluk1
July 19, 2009, 07:02 PM
abc news just got done say'n there is now atleast 10,000 pythons in south florida swamps. wopeeeee

MCgunner
July 19, 2009, 07:03 PM
Only one other time did snakes screw up a good day in the swamps and thats when you find yourself in a nest of mocs, 20 or better within 30 foot. Go back to camp and cook some breakfast and start over. That was 30 years ago

Buddy and me when I was a kid were out in the woods after a good rain and the moccasins and other water shakes were everywhere. We lived on a creek bottom, good squirrel hunting, rabbits, even geese on occasion, but snakes everywhere. So, my buddy spots "this" snake and he shoots. Says, I shot his head off. I says, "No you didn't." I took aim and shot a snakes head off. It was two snakes making woopie in the woods. LOL He had a full choked .410, me a full choked 16 gauge, both single shots. We thought we were "dangerous game" hunting, LOL! I think we got over a dozen that morning. Of course, I didn't know what snake leggings or boots were back then. :rolleyes:

jordan1948
July 19, 2009, 07:06 PM
How do you hunt pythons?? Very carefully.

jimmyraythomason
July 19, 2009, 08:07 PM
"There’s something about Florida, where people feel free to let their exotic pets into the wild.

Result: untold thousands of Burmese pythons slithering through the Everglades.

Their numbers are unknown. Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Fla., estimates some 180,000 of these deadly snakes inhabit the River of Grass. Other estimates run around 30,000." This from an editorial on TCPalm.com.

bdg146
July 19, 2009, 08:26 PM
According to the guy from Survivorman (Les Stroud?), you should always bury the head. The reason is that the venom remains poisonous long after the snake is dead. He does it so that no one will accidentally step on it or pick it up and stick themselves. Of course, the premise of the show is that he's lost in the wilderness, so I'm not sure that's something he should be worried about anyway...

We don't see too many around here, but next time I have to dispose of one I should try cooking it up. I've never had snake. Looks tasty.

wankerjake
July 19, 2009, 08:37 PM
next time I have to dispose of one I should try cooking it up. I've never had snake. Looks tasty

Yeah this was my first time, it was really good. Our wives not only tried it but liked it! I cut it into abour 4" sections, put flour and spices on the pieces and a little olive oil and bacon grease in the bottom of the pot and baked them. Good stuff, they had a very mild flavor. I will be snake hunting in the future.

Art Eatman
July 19, 2009, 08:40 PM
Cut the head off and set it in an ant bed. They'll clean it down to nothing but the skull bones and fangs.

MCgunner
July 19, 2009, 10:10 PM
Tastes like chicken. :D

oneounceload
July 19, 2009, 10:19 PM
abc news just got done say'n there is now atleast 10,000 pythons in south florida swamps. wopeeeee

That's the lowest estimate I have heard - anything between 50,000 and 150,000 was the latest. Reports of them killing alligators make them at the top of the food chain int he Everglades with no known predator except man. Currently, there are three folks allowed to go after them all.

We used to come upon rattlers hunting chukar in NV. If they were smart, they got out of the way, else the 20 gauge made them magpie food.......

paintballdude902
July 20, 2009, 03:40 AM
got one witht he truck today i pulled over in the woods to take a leak and looked down before i stepped out of my truck and he was waiting there so i put it in gear and took care of it

i cant do snakes i had a bad experience one time where a rattle snake caught the tip of my boot while i was feeding the horses pulled the revolver and took care of it

i have no problem with nonvenomous snakes but if you look like a rattler, cotton mouth, copperhead your gone

countryrebel
July 20, 2009, 07:25 PM
Only good snake is a dead one. Lots of people told me that 38 birdshot will not kill a snake but thats all we use and it works just fine. I am to much of a chicken to eat them though. I have been struck at, nailed on the boot and chased after by rattlesnakes, so I pretty much hate the damn things. One time in grass harvest we got into a bunch of them. The mini 14 got 8 of them and from what we could hear going through all the JD 9600's probably a hundred or so.

TEC
July 20, 2009, 07:49 PM
At my place in Western NC, I have more trouble with mice than snakes. So when I saw this visitor on my back steps, I flipped the big guy into a 30 gal. trash can, popped the lid on, and relocated him a mile or so down the mountain. When I took the lid off, he was big enough to crawl out on his own and be on his way. An Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake, between about 5 and 6 feet, I think, but I didn't use a tape measure.

wankerjake
July 21, 2009, 02:15 PM
Here's a better picture of that mojave rattler. My wife showed me the "enhance" feature. Anyway you can see his color much better here, enjoy:
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo33/wankerjake/snake.jpg

jimmyraythomason
July 21, 2009, 02:26 PM
^^^^ I don't think he's very happy.

ArmedBear
July 21, 2009, 03:23 PM
countryrebel, where do you see the things?

I have seen zero in Idaho.

When I hunted along the Mexican border, I saw them all the time.

jgh4445
July 21, 2009, 04:35 PM
Ain't but two kinda snakes; rattlesnakes and chicken snakes. If it ain't got a chicken in it's mouth, its a rattlesnake!

paintballdude902
July 22, 2009, 12:28 AM
jgh so what? if its a rattlesnake its dead so you dont get bit and if its got a chicken in its mouth its dead cause its eatin your chickens? thats my logic anyways

jgh4445
July 22, 2009, 07:59 AM
As Fonzie would say, Correct a mundo!

taprackbang
July 22, 2009, 08:19 AM
In this case it was out of necessity.

Awwww, this touchy feely 'snake sensitivity' has warmed my heart. :barf:

I like Art's idea on to dispose of the head.

LeonCarr
July 22, 2009, 09:53 AM
When I was about 10, I saw my Dad kill a Copperhead with a "Grubbin' Hoe" and he buried the head. I usually just blow the head off with whatever firearm is handy and then get it ready for the 375 degree peanut oil :). In Sweetwater, Texas (Home of the World's Largest Rattlesnake Roundup), snake calls were an almost daily occurence when the snakes started moving. Lots of 12 gauge birdshot got used up during snake season :).

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

41magsnub
July 22, 2009, 10:24 AM
taprackbang
Awwww, this touchy feely 'snake sensitivity' has warmed my heart.

I like Art's idea on to dispose of the head.

Using a rock to kill a snake that I thought bit my dad because I generally don't carry a pistol fishing is "touchy feely snake sensitivity" and makes you want to puke?

Either your idea of sensitivity is very warped or you need to work on reading comprehension.

soutex50
July 22, 2009, 10:43 AM
RCmodel, There have been 9 and 10 footers killed quite regularly down here in Texas. I used to laugh at the late Steve Irwin when he would find a rattler someplace and in his trademark Aussie accent " Look at the size of that snaiiiike!!!! I used to think to myself, you should see the monsters that grow around here.

Ralph

1858rem
July 22, 2009, 10:50 AM
snake shot is good when the rattler gettin ready to bit your a$$ in a hurry and aimed shots are not easy.

Lightninstrike
July 22, 2009, 11:06 AM
12 ga #6, one blast, haul a$$. :evil:

Art Eatman
July 22, 2009, 11:49 AM
Old south Texas rattleworm story:

"I killed a bigun!"

"How big wuzzy?"

"'Bout three inches."

"Three inches? That's big?"

"'Tween the fangs."

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 22, 2009, 12:13 PM
Only good snake is a dead one.

Nah, let the non-poisonous ones live - they are very useful in controlling rodents; integral part of the ecology.

MCgunner
July 22, 2009, 02:10 PM
snake shot is good when the rattler gettin ready to bit your a$$ in a hurry and aimed shots are not easy.

Sorry, but my first thought is to jump out of strike range. I can take my time after that.

ArmedBear
July 22, 2009, 02:12 PM
Nah, let the non-poisonous ones live - they are very useful in controlling rodents; integral part of the ecology.

Absolutely.

We may try, but we can't kill ALL the varmints all by ourselves. We need the snakes' help.:D

MCgunner
July 22, 2009, 02:17 PM
I south Texas, you can get lynched for even trying to kill a blue indigo.

41magsnub
July 22, 2009, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Absolutely.

We may try, but we can't kill ALL the varmints all by ourselves. We need the snakes' help.

Exactly, I have a little garter snake buddy in my back yard that keeps the crickets in check.

ArmedBear
July 22, 2009, 02:25 PM
Do you have Mormon Crickets over in Missoula?

(Missoula is a wonderful place. Where else can you have free beer every time you drive into town?)

The things are NASTY. Imagine a giant roach that jumps, and there might be a few hundred on one sage bush.

I thought about using snake shot on some swarms of them, but the .38 stuff is over a buck a round. Maybe I'll have to load my own, or bring a shotgun.:D

41magsnub
July 22, 2009, 02:33 PM
They are just regular old ground crickets as far as I know. I almost never see them, just hear the chirping.

jimmyraythomason
July 22, 2009, 02:39 PM
"Sorry, but my first thought is to jump out of strike range. I can take my time after that." McGunner, that tactic doesn't work with a big southern Cottonmouth! They are very aggressive and WILL come after you.

Lightninstrike
July 22, 2009, 02:49 PM
McGunner, that tactic doesn't work with a big southern Cottonmouth! They are very aggressive and WILL come after you.

Yeah they are. Those worms hold a grudge, too.

IdahoLT1
July 22, 2009, 07:56 PM
countryrebel, where do you see the things?

When I hunted along the Mexican border, I saw them all the time.

Down near where the National guard maneuvers. By the tower(christmas mtn.) theres a rocky hill just north of it. On the South side, the whole hillside is overed by large rocks. In an area the size of a average living room, i came across 8 of them. They were coming out of hibernation(early spring) and im sure i came across their den.

You can find them along the Snake river, near any canyon or any rocky hillside. Ive heard of people seeing them as north as Fairfield

KenWP
July 22, 2009, 08:28 PM
One reason I like living in a cold country I hate snakes with a passion. Farthest north I have seen one is east of Calgary Alberta once about 40 years ago. In southren Alberta we used to bale small square bales and you had these snakes hanging out of the bales all the time. Not my cup of tea.

geologist
July 22, 2009, 09:04 PM
I worked in Arizona around Bagdad and Prescott Valley, lots of miles walking through the Sonoran desert. We ran into rattlesnakes but they were never aggressive so we let them live.

In Panama and Colombia I am seeing lots of aggressive fer-de-lance. They don't seem to be much of a match against a long handled shovel.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i155/pbgeologist/fotosgramalotetrinidadAbril1209.jpg

MCgunner
July 22, 2009, 09:18 PM
that tactic doesn't work with a big southern Cottonmouth! They are very aggressive and WILL come after you.

I've seen and avoided more'n one cottonmouth. We have plenty of 'em down here. 80 percent of what people call cottonmouths aren't cottonmouths anyway, but non-venomous water snakes. They're fun to shoot on the water, but shotguns are cheating. :D They can really take a farm tank over if you let 'em. I've wasted a few afternoons on tanks with a good .22 having fun cleaning out the tank. Not to be done if houses are prevalent in the area, but great fun in remote tanks. .22s can ricochet off water at shallow angles.

countertop
July 22, 2009, 11:30 PM
In Panama and Colombia I am seeing lots of aggressive fer-de-lance. They don't seem to be much of a match against a long handled shovel.

wow. i always thought of fer de lances as big thick slow moving snakes, but that one is tiny.

jimmyraythomason
July 22, 2009, 11:42 PM
Well, 100% of what I call Cottonmouths are Cottonmouths. I,too, have been able to avoid them well enough not to be bitten(yet)but it takes more than just side-stepping them. I've killed them with .22s,.357s,41mags and .45acp as well as 12ga. (I am also WELL aquainted with banded watersnakes and do not kill them.)

MCgunner
July 23, 2009, 10:15 AM
Might consider wearing "South Texas Ropers" (snake boots) if you're real worried about getting bit. I don't leave home without 'em, myself, not if I'm going to be out and about in the grass and brush. Besides, they are so South Texas chic. Down here, they can double as formal wear. :D

soutex50
July 23, 2009, 11:02 AM
MCgunner.."Down here, they can double as formal wear."
Amen!!!! Wearin' em right now!

Reyn
July 24, 2009, 12:33 PM
Alabama Timber rattler. 57.5 inches 12 rattles and a button.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/reyn61/rattlesnake.jpg

jimmyraythomason
July 24, 2009, 01:05 PM
Ah yes, the timber rattler! Crotalus Horridus, AKA,Canebrake Rattler,Banded Rattler and Velvet Tail Rattler. We grows 'em big round these parts.

countertop
July 24, 2009, 03:15 PM
thats one big snake!

Where in 'Bama. I've got a place not far from Mentone (on the Georgia side) and have never seen one up there. You got them there too?

351 WINCHESTER
July 24, 2009, 05:02 PM
When I was a kid I killed a eastern that was over 7'. He had 12 rattlers and a button. He was the biggest one I ever saw. I've killed dozens in ne fl, but he was the biggest. I rarely see them anymore.

MCgunner
July 24, 2009, 07:14 PM
Biggest I've killed (western diamond back) was 6 feet and had 9 rattles. He was delicious. I killed him in my back yard with a garden hoe.

Reyn
July 24, 2009, 07:44 PM
thats one big snake!

Where in 'Bama. I've got a place not far from Mentone (on the Georgia side) and have never seen one up there. You got them there too?

Elkmont near the TN line. Ft payne has the mtn areas too. I guarantee there is some up there also.

FHBrumb
July 24, 2009, 09:39 PM
Georgia Boy here says that there is only one good kind of snake... Yup, a DEAD snake...

I've seen some monster black snakes down south, but an 8+ foot rattle snake is a nightmare come to life.

I've read about the pythons in FLorida. They are to the point where they are challenging gators for territory, and winning. I've even seen pics of pythons that have eaten smaller gators.

I have an old H&R single shot 410 with 5 shells on a buttcuff. All it's ever been mine for is shooting snakes. It splatters them pretty good.

Did I fail to mention how much I dislike snakes?

longdayjake
July 25, 2009, 11:40 AM

Oh they are all over in Southeast Idaho. My sister got bit by a baby one in the water at Ririe Resevoir. She thought it was just a water snake and tried to pick it up. Got her with one fang on the finger. Just so you know, sometimes with antivenom the cure is worse than the disease. It helped reduce the swelling, but she got hives over 90% of her body and she was in the hospital like 3 days longer because of it. Had they just given her something to reduce the swelling she would have been fine the next day.

Quoheleth
July 29, 2009, 09:28 PM
[shudder...hand shaking a bit...hard to type]

Shoulda known not to read this thread. Hands are sweaty & fingers slipping on keys. Stomach is now queezy. Mouth is dry.

I can handle tornadoes, hurricanes, and my mother-in-law's cooking. I had too many close calls as a kid - no fang penetration into my skin - to not have the shakes seeing 'em.

For me, there are no good snakes. Even dead ones are bad.

Gonna have nightmares tonight. No joke...:uhoh:

Q

MCgunner
July 29, 2009, 10:01 PM
And you HUNT in TEXAS? :D

ColeK
July 29, 2009, 11:40 PM
Guys, Eastern Rattle Snakes are not very aggressive unless you get too close or step on them. In 60 years I've seen a couple of hundred of them. I've only killed five. One was injured. One had his fangs hung in my boot. The other three were about to strike.

Water moc's on the other hand are very aggressive. They can and will get in the boat with you and then things will get very interesting. I once was bullfrog hunting and had one roll off a limb into the boat and the guy with the rifle shot 20 .22 cal shorts into the bottom of the boat. I've had a water moc swim over 100 yards and try to get into my boat. I will kill any water mos within the range of the gun I'm carrying I see. Oh and by the way I do know the diff between a water moc and a water snake.

Quoheleth
July 29, 2009, 11:50 PM
And you HUNT in TEXAS?

Never said I hunt (present tense). Haven't hunted since the fall of '99, and that was a long-weekend of dove hunting in central Texas while home for fall break. Before that it was 1995. Got a fellow at church who wants me to go hog hunting with him this year. I'm trying to find a small armored personnel carrier for the trail into & out of the woods. Failing that, a Ma Deuce, Abrams or John Deere 4880 will serve nicely.

Seriously, I am truly afraid of snakes. Watching snake shows on PBS or Discovery leaves me exactly as I described previously: upset stomach, clammy skin, sweating, etc. Just can't get past it.

Hello. My name is Q. I am a coward.

Q

Grizfire
July 30, 2009, 12:18 AM
whatcha gonna do with those skins? You could belt them around a cowboy hat or something.

SHvar
July 30, 2009, 01:44 PM
Rattlesnake is good, havent eaten it in several years now. I used to catch them, cut the heads off (in the south) skin them, and cook them (or have someone else do it).
They are easy to catch if you know what your doing, easy to carry alive in a bag, and easy to prepare.
The last few I had were up north here. They were huge (4-5ft and one much bigger), there is a photo floating around the state of Ohio with me holding a 6ft plus rattler by its tail over my head, and its head is resting on the ground (taken in the mountains of PA).
Im a reptile collector and used to get rattlesnake permits every year but lost interest. In PA they are a protected species.
I dont kill every rattlesnake I see (only a few selectively), they are an important part of the the ecosystem, in many places aside from a few bobcats left, and coyotes, they are the top predator left.
Most we caught had pictures taken then released right away. We had to turn in reports every year on the size, sex, weight, location, scale counts, etc on them (females are bigger, males tails are longer by scale count before the rattle).
A good friend and I taught a reptile education show for schools once, he had several venomous snakes, and hundreds of non venomous snakes.

1KPerDay
July 30, 2009, 01:59 PM
those who cook and eat them... I assume you just sort of nibble the meat off the bones, like small fish?

WardenWolf
July 30, 2009, 02:39 PM
There was a juvenile rattlesnake in my courtyard last week, right on the sidewalk. It didn't even have its rattles yet, although the coloring and the way it struck at the hoe left little doubt at what it was. Nor did the amount of venom left on the sidewalk. I held it down with the hoe and used a mattock to cut its head off.

Leanwolf
July 30, 2009, 09:38 PM
LONGDAYJAKE - "Oh they are all over in Southeast Idaho."

And southwest Idaho, and southcentral Idaho, too.

L.W.

jaholder1971
July 31, 2009, 11:54 PM
We're thick with Massassauguas around here, grow about 24" and are pretty aggressive for their size. The Copperheads we don't see much, they're usually timid enough to run before you get close, you get bit by one of those around and it's your fault. Eastern Diamondback are actually somewhat docile, it'll take some serious provocation to get one to rattle or strike at you.

I usually give them a pass wen hiking. They've got a much harder life than I do.

Dr_2_B
August 2, 2009, 08:10 PM
nice pics

farscott
August 3, 2009, 01:48 PM
Elkmont near the TN line. Ft payne has the mtn areas too. I guarantee there is some up there also. Yeah, this year I have seen lots more snakes. We have a hilly place (20 acres) off Alabama HWY 99 in West Limestone that seems to be snake central this year.

jimmyraythomason
August 3, 2009, 02:05 PM
Farscott; if you had seen Athens in May of 1862 you would have seen it over run with snakes headed by Union Colonel John B.Turchin. Limestone hills make for great hiding places for snakes.

longdayjake
August 3, 2009, 06:18 PM
And southwest Idaho, and southcentral Idaho, too.

L.W.

I don't doubt it a bit. Same basic landscape. I just don't spend any time there so I couldn't say one way or another.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rattlesnakes!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!