rem 870 barrel question

PDA

moooose102
July 19, 2009, 03:50 PM
my brother has a 12 guage rifled slug barrel on his 870. he bought it strictly for deer hunting. the thing recoils like a howitzer on steroids. does anybody know if a muzzle brake can be drilled into this barrel (it is the standard remington barrel)? he inquired into having a m.b. fit to the barrel, and the gunsmith told him the barrel was to thin to thread. so i came up with just drilling one into the barrel itself. but neither of us know if the barrel is strong enought to withstand doing this to it.

If you enjoyed reading about "rem 870 barrel question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
earlthegoat2
July 19, 2009, 04:50 PM
Yes it can.

And the happy news is that it is not going to help a lick. I used to live in a shotgun zone and tried everything. Porting did not help in the least. A nice Sims recoil pad helped a little. Make sure your scope has plenty of eye relief and learn to love recoil is the only advice I can give on this. One more piece though might be to get a 20 gauge. If deer or black bear is what you are hunting then it will be more than sufficient and will have less recoil despite what everyone says about it being the same because it will be a lighter gun. The difference is there.

Apparently this is subjective though as you will sing the praises of porting after this post.

jmr40
July 19, 2009, 05:27 PM
A better recoil pad is the best option here. It will make a far greater difference at far less cost.

Virginian
July 19, 2009, 11:18 PM
Go get some 3" Magnum 1-7/8 ounce or some 2-3/4" 1-1/2 ounce Baby Magnums and pop off some of those. The slugs will feel a lot better, relatively speaking.

357mag357
July 20, 2009, 12:13 AM
Moose,

Check out this website.http://www.blackhawk.com/product/SpecOps-Adjustable-Shotgun-Stock,1158,165.htm

I got one for my 870 and it really does make a difference.

www.blackhawk.com/product/SpecOps-Adjustable-Shotgun-Stock,1158,165.htm

chudykGT
July 20, 2009, 02:48 AM
I shoot 2 3/4" 1 oz slugs and 3" magnum 00 buckshot out of my 870 smoothbore and I don't think its too bad.
Although, my cheek takes the worst hit when shooting. Does the scope come back and whack you in the face?
Or does the rifled barrel make the recoil different?

SeekHer
July 21, 2009, 07:23 AM
Is your barrel threaded for screw on chokes and if it isn't can it be?

There are a number of choke tube makers that have brakes built into their tubes, even cylinder bore...

Rem870Fan
July 21, 2009, 07:32 AM
My 870 came threaded for a choke from the factory and has a breecher style cyl. choke in it now. It patterns quite well at ~20 yds using 00 buck.

I haven't used a slugs on it yet, but I've heard that slugs are hard on screw-ons.

moooose102
July 21, 2009, 10:06 AM
i may be wrong, but i think he is shooting 3&1/2" magnum saboted slugs from it. he says they are the most powerful slugs available, and unfortunatly, whatever they are, it is the slug that his gun likes. he tried a bunch of different slugs, and that particular one was the best accuracy wise by quite a bit. i bought him a limbsaver recoil pad for it (which made a world of difference on my 45/70), but he is still complaining. maybe we should drill the stock and fill it with lead (adding a pound or so). that should slow down the recoil a bit. i am curious as to why porting would not help a slug barrel though. i understand that shooting a big chunk of lead is going to hurt, but if i can tame my 45/70, why shouldn't a shotgun be tameable? is the bore making the difference?

LeonCarr
July 21, 2009, 10:12 AM
AFAIK the recoil from 3.5 inch slugs in terms of foot pounds is about the same as shooting 500 grain bullets from a .458 Winchester Magnum...they will kick. Have it Pro-Ported by the Magnaport folks and use the Sims Limbsaver recoil pad. If it still kicks then add a mercury cylinder recoil reducer to the stock. Also, if your shotgun has a plastic stock and forend, going to wood will add weight and reduce felt recoil. Adding a scope will also add weight and reduce felt recoil.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Tim the student
July 21, 2009, 11:28 AM
How much does he shoot it?

I have an 870 (bird barrel) that I practice with throughout the year for deer season. I find that if I keep my practice sessions short (like 5 rounds) and shoot offhand instead of prone that its ok to shoot. It's unfortunate that he will be shooting 31/2" slugs, but even then, if he only shoots a box occasionally, I think he would be ok.

Virginian
July 21, 2009, 04:40 PM
Porting does not work nearly as well on a shotgun as it does on a rifle because you are dealing with much lower gas pressures, like 40,000 lower out at the muzzle, with the shotgun than the rifle. If he is that recoil sensitive, put lead in the magazine instead of the plug, and you can also put lead in the stock bolt hole, and you can drill another hole for lead in the stock. I would certainly do a lot more experimenting with slugs, too. If they load a saboted 3-1/2" slug, I bet the same slug is available in a 2-3/4" load. Lets face it, deer are not that tough, and a ton of deer have been killed with 20 gauge slugs and heck, even .22s.

Fred Fuller
July 21, 2009, 05:38 PM
Porting barrels does little good with shotguns because 1) gas pressure in the bore is relatively low compared to rifles, and 2) the barrel walls are relatively thin, giving little surface area on which the escaping gas can impinge and force the gun forward.

Porting will make the gun sound louder, though...

lpl

moooose102
July 22, 2009, 12:14 AM
How much does he shoot it?

unfortunatly, he is a once a year shooter. he takes it out a couple of weeks before season, runs a few through it to see if the scope is still set, and takes it home, cleans it, and hunts. at the end of hunting season, it gets cleaned and oiled, and put away until next year. i keep prodding at him, and inviting him even to shoot my guns and ammo, but he very seldom does. what can you do? i have even went as far as to put my ccw pistol in his hand, where he could shoot it, and he declined! i guess i will suggest the lead in the stock trick, and leave it at that.

Tim the student
July 22, 2009, 12:28 AM
So he wants to do all that to a gun he might pull the trigger on 10 times a year?

Tim the student
July 22, 2009, 02:34 AM
The deer must be as big as elephants where you live is all I have to say

No doubt. We have pretty big deer in Iowa, and lots of them get dropped every year with 20's. I can honestly say I don't know anyone that hunts with slugs bigger than 3".

What is the accuracy drop off when he shoots a 2 3/4" or a 3" inch slug? I mean, is it really worth it to him to shoot those slugs if he hates them, even if it is only a few shots a year? IMO, a deer won't care if your group is an inch or 2 bigger.

moooose102
July 23, 2009, 10:39 AM
yep, the deer here are so big, that a 300 win mag can barely knock them down. usually have to trail them several hundred yards, if you can find them at all. just kidding! actually, there is no difference here than anywhere else, but, our family does subcribe to the "bigger is better" way of thinking. for me, it is a must. my brother is not all that far behind me. we both have physical probems that limit the amount of lugging a deer out of the woods we can do. i bought an atv to help me. anyway, i certainly do not want what he has! but, i guess he feels it is necessary. but, i do not hunt in the "shotgun zone" so rifles work fine for me. if i were to hunt in the shotgun zone, i can use a bp rifle, so that is what i would do. much less recoil, and at least as good of accuracy. just you have to make the first shot count.
What is the accuracy drop off when he shoots a 2 3/4" or a 3" inch slug? I mean, is it really worth it to him to shoot those slugs if he hates them, even if it is only a few shots a year? IMO, a deer won't care if your group is an inch or 2 bigger
i do not know, but the way he talks, either he uses those slugs, or he has to shoot within 50 yards. he claims to be able to put 3 shots in a 2" circle at 100 yards with the "bazooka" that he shoots with those cannon shells. i dont know, but if it makes him miserably happy, i guess that is all that counts. personally, i like a bit of recoil, but i do not want to be kicked in the shoulder by a mule on methanphetamine every time i shoot either.

If you enjoyed reading about "rem 870 barrel question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!