Slim 45 pistols

PDA

alaskanativeson
July 19, 2009, 08:49 PM
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g235/Rodgersplace/45.jpg

From the outset, let me acknowledge one thing: The 1911 is the King of the .45 Auto. I'm enough of a fan of the writings of Col. Jeff Cooper to know better than to try to argue with this most definite of pronouncements.

That said, I'm not a king. I'm not a court jester either, but I'm not a 1911 fan for my personal use. It's like Mac vs. PC. I'll admit Mac has a more stable platform, it's more resistant to viruses, it's a faster more powerful system, and they're built better than 98% of the PCs out there (maybe Lenovo and my custom from PC Laptops (http://www.pclaptops.com) are on par with Mac's build quality.) In spite of that I use my PC because I like the way it works, it's what I've chosen and it works better for me. This thread is not about 1911 styles, I'll admit your superiority in pistols and move on to what I want.

(I'm not beinc sarcastic - the 1911 is a GREAT gun, it's just not my taste.)

I'm a .45 guy. I have different calibers, I like my mousegun 380, I implicitly trust my G17 to go bang every single time I shoot it no matter what, and you couldn't convince me to give up my .22, my .357, or my .454 without a naked Angelina Jolie and a can of whipped cream. However, if I'm going to have to trust my life to a handgun to be effective at stopping someone if I need it to, it's a .45 I'm going to reach for.

My favorite gun is my USP Tactical .45, it's made even better when I have my AWC Systems suppressor attached. This comforting thing of beauty is what graces my nightstand, but it's definitely not what I'm going to carry on me every day for CCW. I also have a USP Compact .45, it's still not really what I'd consider a small gun.

What I was wondering is if the difference between a Glock G36 and a Glock G30 are noticeable. How do they compare to the Kahr (or others similar) for concealability?

Your opinions are kindly solicited.

If you enjoyed reading about "Slim 45 pistols" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ash
July 19, 2009, 10:49 PM
The Witness Match is, in my opinion, all that the 1911 can be.

Ash

Wyo_F-A
July 20, 2009, 12:06 AM
The Kahr is one of the 'ultimates' when it comes to concealment. IMHO

I decided that the CW45 was for me after carrying the XD40SC and Taurus PT745.

sarduy
July 20, 2009, 12:45 AM
The Glock 30 is somewhat the same size as a Glock 19 and the Glock 36 is about the same as a Glock 26.

David E
July 20, 2009, 12:56 AM
The Glock 30 is somewhat the same size as a Glock 19 and the Glock 36 is about the same as a Glock 26.

No, it's not. Both are very similar in overall size, (close to a 19) but the 30 is thicker.

Evenso, I prefer the 30 much more than the 36. If the choice was a G-36 or a G-23 or G-19, the 36 would be the first to be tossed from consideration.

luzyfuerza
July 20, 2009, 01:17 AM
I carried a 36 for several years. I liked the slim profile, and it shot OK.

The grip on a 30 is MUCH larger than the grip on a 36. I have large hands, and the grip on the 30 is too much for me.

I carry an XD .45 compact now. For me, I think that the XD is a great blend of capacity, grip size, grip angle, and reliability. Better than both a G36 and the G30.

happygeek
July 20, 2009, 01:53 AM
It's like Mac vs. PC. I'll admit Mac has a more stable platform, it's more resistant to viruses, it's a faster more powerful system, and they're built better than 98% of the PCs out there (maybe Lenovo and my custom from PC Laptops are on par with Mac's build quality.) In spite of that I use my PC because I like the way it works, it's what I've chosen and it works better for me. This thread is not about 1911 styles, I'll admit your superiority in pistols and move on to what I want.

Good God, not this again, and on a gun forum :confused: Macs are PCs, they switched to running on the x86 platform a couple years ago. That and they changed their kernel to Darwin, which is a *nix variant and itself open source (they give PureDarwin away: http://www.puredarwin.org). That and even saying "Macs vs PCs" is like arguing about whether the AK or the AR is the best rifle ever while forgetting about, oh I don't know, the FN Fal, the G3, G36, SA80, Sig 550, etc. etc. There are other OSs out there that run on the x86, in fact there's a LOT of them.

I'll go ahead and /rant before the mods close me down for going off topic. But seriously, how can you not like a 1911? Maybe I've just been playing too many WWII shooting games, but the first pistol I bought was a 1911 and I didn't even look at any thing else. I still love that Sig 1911 to death, have no complaints at all besides maybe the price of 45 ACP.

If you enjoyed reading about "Slim 45 pistols" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!