31 caliber remington

PDA

badpenny
July 20, 2009, 03:29 PM
does anyone have experience with that .31 caliber remington,with the spur trigger.

If you enjoyed reading about "31 caliber remington" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bigbadgun
July 20, 2009, 03:34 PM
ive got one nice little shooter use single 0 buck shot for ammo with about 10 grains

arcticap
July 20, 2009, 05:05 PM
Here is mec's excellent report about it:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=198383&highlight=remington+pocket

ClemBert
July 20, 2009, 05:26 PM
Here are the Cabellas reviews off their website in case you missed them. It is on sale at Cabellas for $220...normal price $260. $5 shipping today only!

Overall Rating: 2 out of 5 2 out of 5
less than great, July 7, 2009
By Dbug from Annapolis, Md

"When I got this item it looked terrific. I could find no serious flaws with the finish. I was surprised at how truely small it really was. Everything seemed to function correctly. The timing was tight, etc.
Then I tried the loading lever and as has been found with others the arm didn't go into the chamber which made loading the cylander problematic. As I feel this is a rather serious flaw I decided to return it.
If there were half stars I might give it two and a half but still warn people about the possible defects."

Would you recommend this product to a friend? No

Overall Rating: 3 out of 5 3 out of 5
Remington Pocket .31, June 23, 2009
By JayAngelo from Minnesota

"I fired about 40 shots through it with 15 grains 777 fffg and .312 round ball. Will just barely penetrate a 2x4 at point blank range. Also tried 15 grains of Jim's Gold in ffg but way too weak. Stick with fffg. Only 3 stars because loading lever broke at about 40 shots."

Would you recommend this product to a friend? Yes

Overall Rating: 1 out of 5 1 out of 5
Remington .31 pocket, June 22, 2009
By huntingbbs from Brooksville, Fl.

"1st problem...latch doesn't want to. 2nd problem, you need a brass punch & hammer to DRIVE the cylinder pin out in order to remove the cylinder. 3rd problem, as if 2 weren't enough, it is virtually impossible to seat the ball on the powder as the rammer or plunger will not travel far enough. I had to remove the arm & file a notch in the underside just to get it to ENTER the cylinder face. It appears that the only satisfactory way to load this puppy (I think it's meant to be fired) is to load the cylinder outside of the gun. (After you have beaten the cylinder pin out)."

Overall Rating: 5 out of 5 5 out of 5
excellent little gun, March 2, 2009
By overlooked from oregon

"I enjoy this little pistol...it's a little hard to load,couse it's so
small,so I'll probably buy an extra cylinder or two for it.
and I'm really glad I went ahead and got the holster too,
I don't know if I could find one to fit it otherwise...and this ones nice...it'll make a wonderful "snakegun" come fishing
season."

5 out of 5 5 out of 5
a little jewel, May 29, 2007
By Howler from Indiana

"Years ago I had the brass framed version, but this steel frame version is one sweet little jewel of a piece. Anyone should be tickled to have one."

Overall Rating: 5 out of 5 5 out of 5
Mine Works Fine, December 18, 2006
By TheElPasoKid from El Paso, Texas

"I have put 200 rounds through this pistol and haven't had a single misfire. Indexing is perfect, 2 inch groups at 50 feet, and very easy to swap cylinders. The grips are finished superb, and the gun is very light and comfortable to shoot and hold, with almost no muzzle jump. Try it out."

Overall Rating: 1 out of 5 1 out of 5
31 pocket pistol, November 24, 2006
By Turtledan from cleveland, ohio

"The firearm was a true copy and upon receiving it I was very excited to use it. At the range I was disappointed with its performance. The hammer would not ignite the cap on the first try on each of the five chambers. It was found that the mainspring was not hardened properly causing the soft hammer impact. The spring finally broke rendering the gun inoperable."

Das Jaeger
July 20, 2009, 06:54 PM
They are neet little guns , and I mean little . I put way oversized grips on um , now there shooters , serious shooters , and quite accurate once you dial in your load out to 33 feet or so . They hit the target pretty darn hard at Ten Meters , yup , cool guns indeed , buy one ! Oh wait , buy two there on sale . :D
A little pollishing the guts and the triggers are really nice on this little gun design , real nice , with minimal effort too .

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj96/5150kelly/100_0244.jpg
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj96/5150kelly/100_0251.jpg
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj96/5150kelly/100_0250.jpg
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj96/5150kelly/100_0246.jpg
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj96/5150kelly/100_0625.jpg

Its like the Remington New Army 58 had the Hic-cups and this is what came out :D

Das Jaeger :cool:

Ratdog68
July 20, 2009, 07:49 PM
Very nice yer Jaegerness !!! Are they nickel or "in the white" ?

MCgunner
July 20, 2009, 08:08 PM
Mine's an ASM, cheap, brass frame, gave 60 bucks on sale from Cabela's catalog back about 15 years ago. It shoots minute of pie plate at 20 yards, not real accurate. But, I guess it ain't intended to be. I have a mold for it I got from Dixie, casts a conical and a ball, kinda cool, but buckshot is the cheap way to shoot. Mine had a bead sight and shot WAY high. I yanked the bead out and made a front sight of proper length from a braising rod, epoxied in place. Now it shoots to POA. Ain't gonna be a "snake gun", but it is fun. It times perfectly, tight as a drum, really well fitted. For 60 bucks, I'd do it again. :D For 260, it'd better be more accurate than mine.

Yeah, the load lever is a little flimsey and it's a little tough to load. I'd recommend an accessory loader for it. I haven't bought one, but I don't shoot mine all that much.

Kinda a big picture, so here's the link. You can get a good close up of it.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=66354&d=1193695832

BHP FAN
July 20, 2009, 08:52 PM
I have two just like MCgunners.My only complaint is that I sometimes hafta go around twice to make sure they all go ''bang''.Not sure if this is the fault of the nipples/caps or the hammer spring,though right now I'm leaning towards the cap/nipple fit.

Ratdog68
July 20, 2009, 09:00 PM
I likes that little brass framer. That was a great deal for it too. Thanks for postin' up a pic of it.

AdmiralB
July 20, 2009, 09:29 PM
I bought one from Cabela's last time they ran that sale (last fall). Sent it back same day.

Total POS. Barrel was loose in the frame, I could rotate it with no effort.

It's a toy. Even if it was made well, it's a $125 gun, not twice that.

Ginormous
July 20, 2009, 10:10 PM
Anyone ever replaced the spur trigger guard on the pocket Remington with the trigger guard from the 1858 Remington? Is this even possible?

Das Jaeger
July 20, 2009, 10:31 PM
there is a guy on CASS that has a whole write up and scematics and pics of his process , but the name evades me ?
It looks real good too . But he milled it from scratch .

Jaeger

Voodoochile
July 20, 2009, 10:40 PM
Although the lil 1863 Pocket Remington in .31 caliber are great lil revolvers that are great fun & I've had one in Brass frame, I want one of the 1862 Police models in .36 caliber that was in between the lil .31 & the big .44 NMA with a full guard like the one Clint had in Pale Rider.

I'd be happy with one that is a exact copy of an original.

Nicodemus38
July 20, 2009, 11:26 PM
at sportsmansguide.com they are trying to sell the remington pocket as a .44 cal.

Das Jaeger
July 20, 2009, 11:33 PM
they are in Nickel , from DGW , nice , tight , well manfactured , by far from a toy gun :cuss: :D
Don't buy your guns from Discounters , and do buy them from Reputable companies that inspect there stuff before it leaves the place , and your reviews and guns my just very well get better , just sayin :) , cheap is as cheap does . Being Frugal is great , being a smart shopper is greater . :D

Jaeger !

Ratdog68
July 20, 2009, 11:42 PM
Me thinks me will need some nickel for the collection at some point in time. Those puppies are sweet !! Easier to clean than blued and or stainless? I hear tale they're easier to clean than stainless.

Das Jaeger
July 20, 2009, 11:56 PM
MUCHO easier than any metal .
Just don't get happy with using Hoppes number 9 NITRO on them , it peels nickel if used in quantity . Copper is the base coat to nickel plated sufaces , remmember that !

Cheers, Jaeger :D

Ratdog68
July 20, 2009, 11:59 PM
Yup... I unnerstan'. I likes the warm appearance of the nickel

arcticap
July 21, 2009, 02:50 AM
Because it's priced $50 less than Dixie's steel frame Remington .31 Pocket, the nickel version would appear to have a brass frame.
But it certainly looks better than brass and well worth the extra $20 to have the benefits of being nickel plated. :)

Ginormous
July 21, 2009, 10:51 AM
Now if they just made a belt buckle holster for it, a la the NAA Companion, it'd be perfect. Of course the only place you could wear a belt buckle holster that BIG and not look the fool is Texas or Alberta. Fortunately, all 12 people in Alberta all get along really well and don't make fun of each other, and well, Texans just have an odd sense of . . . fashion. :D

http://www.garycralle.com/Cowboy-belt-buckle.jpg

MCgunner
July 21, 2009, 11:18 AM
Although the lil 1863 Pocket Remington in .31 caliber are great lil revolvers that are great fun & I've had one in Brass frame, I want one of the 1862 Police models in .36 caliber that was in between the lil .31 & the big .44 NMA with a full guard like the one Clint had in Pale Rider.

LOL, it was after watching Pale Rider that I saw the little .31 on sale and just HAD to have it. It was watching Pale Rider over again after getting it that I realized he didn't have the same gun. DOH! I'd like that 62, also, but then, I don't have a big Remmy, either. My big gun is an ROA.

I think my next C&B revolver will be something in .36, though, shorter of barrel, like a sheriff's model. I'm also thinkin' stainless would be nice for shootin'/clean up. I'd like a Remington. Even a Remington .44 is more compact than the ROA, though.

Voodoochile
July 21, 2009, 12:15 PM
LOL, it was after watching Pale Rider that I saw the little .31 on sale and just HAD to have it. It was watching Pale Rider over again after getting it that I realized he didn't have the same gun. DOH! I'd like that 62, also, but then, I don't have a big Remmy, either. My big gun is an ROA.

Yeah not many know that the smaller revolver in his arsenal in that movie is actually the 62' Police model not the 63" Pocket.

I still kick my self for getting rid of my lil FIE Pocket 63' 20 years ago, it was a fun lil pop gun.

sltm1
July 21, 2009, 02:25 PM
I've got one and have had no problem with it ever. I took off the blueing and put on a plumb brown to age it. I find that aiming this little shooter is a waste of time though. It's a muich better instinctive shooter for sure. The pic below was shooting as fast as I could cocking and pulling the trigger off-hand (single hand) at 35 feet. The group was 3". For a small backup gun I think it's entirely adequate.
http://www.fmtc.com/~tfl1x/PocketRem1.jpg

ClemBert
July 21, 2009, 05:34 PM
Now if they just made a belt buckle holster for it, a la the NAA Companion, it'd be perfect. Of course the only place you could wear a belt buckle holster that BIG and not look the fool is Texas or Alberta. Fortunately, all 12 people in Alberta all get along really well and don't make fun of each other, and well, Texans just have an odd sense of . . . fashion.

Those big belt buckles are "tombstones for dead dicks". At least that's what a female friend of mine used to say when she'd see one. :D

Ginormous
July 21, 2009, 05:40 PM
Your female friend is an absolute hoot! That's just too funny!

I guess we'll hear from the Texas contingent "shortly" about this. http://www.feebleminds-gifs.com/smiley-faces-28.gif

Das Jaeger
July 21, 2009, 06:33 PM
that big ole Buckle would cut into your Six Pack abbs when you sit down , or in my case , my Twelve pack Abbs , hee hee hee :D
It would have to be that big a buckle to fit the Remington on it for sure , they aint that little you know ? :)
Where are all those Texans , this could be a HOOT soon ! Yeeehaaa :D

Jaeger :D

MCgunner
July 23, 2009, 11:29 AM
Well, I don't wear one of those "tombstones" because of my 6 pack abs, ya know. It'd carve me up. LOL

My favorite Texas girl joke.....

A Mexican, An Arab, and a Texas girl are in the same bar. When the Mexican finishes his beer, he throws his glass in the air, pulls out his pistol, and shoots the glass to pieces. He says, 'In Mexico, our glasses are so cheap we don't need to drink with the same one twice.'

The Arab, obviously impressed by this, drinks non-alcohol beer (cuz he's a muslim!), throws it into the air, pulls out his AK-47, and shoots the glass to pieces.. He says, 'In the Arab World, we have so much sand to make glasses that we don't need to drink with the same one twice either.'

The Texas girl, cool as a cucumber, picks up her beer, downs it in one gulp, throws the glass into the air, whips out her 45, and shoots the Mexican and the Arab. Catching her glass, setting it on the bar, and calling for a refill, she says, 'In Texas we have so many illegal aliens that we don't have to drink with the same ones twice.'

God Bless TEXAS !!!

Ginormous
July 23, 2009, 01:40 PM
Heh, ouch. :what:

bigbadgun
July 23, 2009, 08:17 PM
Roflmao

arcticap
July 23, 2009, 09:04 PM
'In Texas we have so many illegal aliens that we don't have to drink with the same ones twice.'

We've sure 'nuff heard about how all of those "one timer" Texas girls are...
they'll shoot any man after drinking-a-round with 'em just once! :D :neener: :D

Steve McNair - R.I.P.
http://www.totalprosports.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/steve-mcnair-300x220.jpg
http://www.totalprosports.com/blog/index.php/2009/07/a-steve-mcnair-murder-update-from-the-eyes-of-holly-peete/

Buddy
August 5, 2009, 12:54 AM
I have one in brass from CVA that my wife gave me several years ago. I don't shoot it very much but I do enjoy shooting it. I use 00 buck over 15 grains of pyrodex P or FFFG GEOX.
I'm new to this forum so I'll tell you a little about myself. I have been shooting cap and ball since 1982. My first gun was a Navy Arms .44 Remington with target sights which I still have.
My other BP gus in addition to the two mentioned above are:

Uberti Walker
Pietta Remington .44
Pietta 1860 Army
Pietta 1851 Navy .36
Ruger Old Army (Stainless)
Traditions Trapper Flintlock Pistol .50
CVA Hawken Pistol .50
Lyman Great Plains Pistol .54
Lyman Great Plains Rifle .54
Cabelas Hawken Rifle .50

Ratdog68
August 5, 2009, 01:07 AM
Well... gitcherself over to the Walker Colt thread and post up a pic so you kin getcher self inducted into the hall of shame 'round here.

BTW... nice list of puppies ya gots there.

Now, also, go tell his ClemBertness to git busy and make ya one of his sanzzy new pins fer yer ROA.

Smokin_Gun
August 5, 2009, 02:14 AM
Yeah not many know that the smaller revolver in his arsenal in that movie is actually the 62' Police model not the 63" Pocket.
I had a couple 1863 Pocket Rems and were cool but even though I have a Remington preferance I'd rather have and do carry the 1862 Colt Pocket Police .36 cal...
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/Smokin_Gun/07-15-08_1706.jpg
I have the 1858 NMA(Euroarms) .36 cal Rem also but prefer the .44's.
Here's a 2nd gen Colt 1862 Pocket Police 5 1/2"bbl. Unfired in Black Box...(is 4 sale have to) I love the Colt Pocket Police, I have one other that I shoot.
This is what Clint had...
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/Smokin_Gun/Colt%202nd%20Gen%201862%20Pocket%20Police/Colt2ndfGen6.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/Smokin_Gun/Colt%202nd%20Gen%201862%20Pocket%20Police/Colt2ndfGen2.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/Smokin_Gun/Colt%202nd%20Gen%201862%20Pocket%20Police/Colt2ndGen62RS.jpg
Here's a comparison to a Belgian Centaure 1860 Colt with my 5 1/2"bbl 1862 Colt Pocket Police...
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/Smokin_Gun/Colt%20Pocket%20Police/PHTO0005.jpghttp://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/Smokin_Gun/Colt%202nd%20Gen%201862%20Pocket%20Police/Colt2ndGen62pktpolbox.jpg

ClemBert
August 5, 2009, 01:01 PM
Those 1862 Pocket Police revolvers are some of the purtiest Colt designs that Sammy game up with.

BerettaGhost
July 24, 2013, 01:01 PM
Hi

i just ordered the 1863 Pocket Remington Brass Frame Model,
i like to polish mine to a Mirror like Finish.

Being that i already have an Uberti Pocket 1849 in Steel,
The brass Pocket Remington is fine to add to my collection.

This is a great forum

Thanks

faustopph
July 26, 2013, 01:46 AM
I have the Reminton .31 Pocket and wish I had the scratch to buy another. I use 4f about 12 grs. wad and .323 ball.
I had to laugh at some of the reviews listed,a .312 was it rounball , won't stay in the barrel unless you are pointing it to the sky. The chambers are right at .3149 - .315

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

faustopph
July 26, 2013, 01:47 AM
The nickle version is brass under the shine

BerettaGhost
July 26, 2013, 01:58 AM
Yes they were funny reviews

Especially when they shot it out of the Box without inspecting or cleaning.
then they say its junk shooting a revolver with clogged cylinders
or not checking important things like Timing

faustopph
July 26, 2013, 02:38 PM
Also notice so many having problems with the loading rammer not being able to seat a ball. Mine does not have this problem. It does not go very deep into the chambers and using less than 7 grs. 777 and a wad I have not tried. 7 grs. is the load I tried when I first bought the revolver as that was my estimate of what I should start my 777 loads at. My thinking ,with the design and purpose of this revolver, is why would anyone load less than a full load ?
I now shoot full house 4f loads a lubed wad and top it off with the .323 ball. It will shoot softball sized groups 10" above point of aim at 21'. I am working on getting a little better accuracy by changing the load a little. I don't want to go lower than 12 grs. as the energy drop makes it pretty wimpy and it is no powerhouse. Can't wait to try some of the Old Eynsford powder in this shooter.

BerettaGhost
July 26, 2013, 02:56 PM
Yea i believe there is an solution answer to every problem
That is good to hear about your shooting.

i never had 4F and do not even know where it is sold.GOEF?

BTW the balls you mentioned how would you compare them to the
.321 balls Dixi Recommends for my .31 revolvers.

i still think of myself as as Beginner when it comes to cap and ball,
Even though i started this obsession about 2 years ago.

i am mostly interested in tuning and gun smithing
i love taking things apart understanding how they work,
put then back together again and look for ways to improve it.

i am no way nearly skilled as you are or anyone on this Forum when it comes to Black Powder Shooting.

But i know quality when i see it and i like to collect.

i am not as lucky as you all are as im originally from NYC
and living in NC.

kituwa
July 26, 2013, 03:05 PM
Escaping NYC and landing in NC is pretty lucky if you ask me,lol. Especially western NC. With the internet we can now learn from what others share that would have took a lifetime of trial and error 20 years ago.

BerettaGhost
July 26, 2013, 03:11 PM
Yes even though i miss it there born there raised there,
it is a refreshing change to be out here.and yes

The internet is a wonderful way to learn from others or even help someone else that needs assistance.

kituwa
July 26, 2013, 03:12 PM
If you have a bass pro shop close to you they may have ffffg powder. You usually have to ask for it at the gun counter because it has to be stored in a vault outside the building.FFFFG is what is used in the flash pans of a flint lock gun. Some say you may need after market nipples with smaller flash holes so the fine powder wont leak out of the nipples but some here can tell you more about that than i can. Has anyone tried some kind of conical in the little .31? Seems like if you was wanting to get a little more umph out of them that would do it and even though most guns dont shoot as acurate with them i cant imagine it would make any diffrence on a little belly gun.

kituwa
July 26, 2013, 03:15 PM
I have always been a country boy so the thought of living somewhere like NYC is a terrifing thing. I wont live anywhere i have to pay for gas through a hole in bullet proof glass,lol.

BerettaGhost
July 26, 2013, 03:19 PM
Not sure but we do have gander mountain and walmart.
as far as Conicals i never tried or even know which one to get.

They had some lead Conicals made by Buffalo in .32 cal on Dixi
Would those work?

i heard the accuracy drops when you use them instead of balls,

But my Super Companion .22 comes with Conical Bullets made of lead.

Have you seen the NAA Cap and ball Earl .22 with 4 inch Barell
Those are so nice but out of stock in so many places

kituwa
July 26, 2013, 03:41 PM
Walmart wont have them black powder i know, not sure about gander mountain. More than likely the buffalo .32 conicals you saw were for a .32 squirrle riffle. I have seen the NAA guns before but dont have any experiance with them but i do know they are good quality guns. I will get me a pocket gun sooner or later but i am only on disability so i have to find a Genie lamp in order to get a gun,lol. I am very poor but i am very good at it too. My health is pretty bad and my days are numbered so i couldnt really justify buying anything if it wasnt for my 17 year old son that loves to shoot with me and he will continue to enjoy the guns i have.

BerettaGhost
July 26, 2013, 04:05 PM
I have always been a country boy so the thought of living somewhere like NYC is a terrifing thing. I wont live anywhere i have to pay for gas through a hole in bullet proof glass,lol.
The action now is as smooth as Margerine on the Pocket Remington.
With the help of you two i did a very very small amount of grinding maybe 1/8 inch
and shim the bottom with piece of old credit card.

Thanks

kituwa
July 26, 2013, 04:33 PM
Thats great! When you get one slicked up they go from feeling like a toy to feeling like a real gun. You should feel the remington 58 i got from Strawhat, this thing is as smooth as any revolver i haver ever seen.A colt python hasnt got a thing in slickness over this gun.The main spring is so soft it would seem like it wouldnt fire a cap but it has every time without fail.I think someone put a wolff spring in it because i cant see that it has been ground anywhere.

BerettaGhost
July 26, 2013, 05:25 PM
Are you refering to the 1858 Remington .44 cal ?
If so i have that one,i also have the Buffalo version Both in stainless Steel.
and one Brassy 58 which was my first Newbie Cap and Ball Revolver.

i did not have to do anything to them they were perfect already so smooth.

i never held a colt Python but i have a Uberti 1849 which really feels and looks beautiful.

Here is my little collection of cap and Ball Revolvers as of now :)

BerettaGhost
July 26, 2013, 05:55 PM
The next project i have in mind for the Remington 1863 is somehow making that safety notch open up so the hammer fist in their snugly.

kituwa
July 26, 2013, 06:09 PM
Yes i was talking about the remington 1858. Mine is a blue one with a stainless cylinder and a 7 1/2 in barrel instead of the normal 8in.Its a target model too. You have a fine collection of guns there. That stainless buffalo will make a great hunting gun! That is a hard gun to find in stainless.

BerettaGhost
July 26, 2013, 06:16 PM
ah yea my Remington was blued too but i always love to remove the Blue and Polish it up with a Mirror Finish same as my Uberti Pocket.

The Buffalo SS is rare but you see it every so often to me it is like a long barrel Target 1858 New Arny revolver. But it wont beat your Colt Walker :)

If you notice i have Kirst Cylinder in there.they were blued originally.

By The would you say the .321 balls i was told to use by Dixi is ok to use?

faustopph
July 26, 2013, 10:11 PM
.321 balls will work fine.

I took a Dremel to one of the safety notches on the cylinder and made it a little longer and tried to not go any deeper than I needed to get a good useable notch. I only did it to one and did it pretty quick so it ain't pretty. I will try to post a picture

faustopph
July 26, 2013, 10:18 PM
This is a pic of my Pockets safety notchhttp://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt19/32HRMAG/9547b257-6ec4-4ef8-adb6-eb9a90e6142c.jpg (http://s593.photobucket.com/user/32HRMAG/media/9547b257-6ec4-4ef8-adb6-eb9a90e6142c.jpg.html)http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt19/32HRMAG/cb1f048c-8f78-4bfd-bb15-fdb70a76eeea.jpg (http://s593.photobucket.com/user/32HRMAG/media/cb1f048c-8f78-4bfd-bb15-fdb70a76eeea.jpg.html)
Just have to clean it up a bit and re-blue. Sorry the pics are so big. I'm not real good with the copooter.lol

BerettaGhost
July 26, 2013, 10:43 PM
Hi

Sorry i slept a few hours before reading the reply.

You did a fantastic job better looking then the 1st attempt i am doing.
Did you use the cut off disk from your Dremel?

Looks like a Rat tail file would help make the job easier with Dremel.

If you want your pic smaller open up window paint
use the Resize button.

Put in something like 50 in the top box and under it 50
then click ok and save,

There are also many free Batch Resizer software programs.

This picture is what i did with my Dremel for the Kirst. for the 1858 SS Buffalo.
As you can see i am no professional.

As for Holsters i always like the Flap type and/or with the little elastic Strap, that has a snap to
hold on to the Hammer,Just to be even safer that there would be
less of a chance of it to bump or slip.I can see why some people still leave one empty though.

And Yay for the .321

Very nice work you did really.

faustopph
July 27, 2013, 01:11 PM
Rat tail file is the next step. It really didn't take much to take off as much as I did with the Dremel. Yes, a cutoff wheel. If I do it again,I will be using a high speed SMC engraver. It operates at about 400,000rpm. Sounds Like a dentist drill,which it was designed from. It will work great for taking off a little at a time. Come to think of it .It is how I will clean up the Dremel work.
As far as holsters. I make my own. I made one for the Pocket and decided to make some changes to it and as I started hand sewing it back together.I broke one of the needles. So until I get an order in to the supplier,I wait.

BerettaGhost
July 27, 2013, 01:16 PM
You really did a good job.

Me i believe i messed my Pocket Remington Cylinder bad.

i put on a Dremel cut off wheel that was too big in Diamater.

It chewed off too much on top,though the cylinder still rotates ok.
So for now i am leaving it alone as i do not want to cause further damage.

Trial and Error right.at some point i may want to get a new cylinder.

Holster making sounds like fun,i did order some tools to put snaps on a holster i have that had no Flap to it and i prefer a flap and/or an elastic strap to hold down hammer.

rodwha
July 27, 2013, 01:17 PM
I would like to see your holsters!

BerettaGhost
July 27, 2013, 04:58 PM
For Safety purposes i am going to leave one Nipple off, where i
believe i had by accident cut down side of one Nipple Notch.

Even though the safe notch seems to work oi want to still be safe.

BerettaGhost
July 27, 2013, 10:39 PM
Rat tail file is the next step. It really didn't take much to take off as much as I did with the Dremel. Yes, a cutoff wheel. If I do it again,I will be using a high speed SMC engraver. It operates at about 400,000rpm. Sounds Like a dentist drill,which it was designed from. It will work great for taking off a little at a time. Come to think of it .It is how I will clean up the Dremel work.
As far as holsters. I make my own. I made one for the Pocket and decided to make some changes to it and as I started hand sewing it back together.I broke one of the needles. So until I get an order in to the supplier,I wait.
i meant to ask you about the part of the cylinder that engages with the hand.
does the cylinder still spin freely after you did all that? Looking at it from the Nipple side up.

i see 4 grooves is there suppose to be 5 grooves on the nipple side up? i though i sanded mine down by mistake then when i looked at yours,You only have 4 as well.

Mine seems to spin ok but i think i went to far left partially opening up a gap near the nipple.

i am not sure that chamber is safe to use or not so for now i leave that one empty.

faustopph
July 27, 2013, 11:43 PM
Looks like you ground the star almost gone

BerettaGhost
July 27, 2013, 11:51 PM
Oh The Star is what i was trying to say when i said 4 grooves on yours and on mine as well.

Is one part of your Star gone as well in that top picture?
Besides that i am afraid to even use the Chamber where that red arrow is.

4v50 Gary
July 28, 2013, 01:21 AM
IMs sent.

kituwa
July 28, 2013, 02:14 AM
I dont think you have ruined it from what i can see. You can stack 4 or 5 cut off disks together on the dremmel arbor to make a grinding wheel to the width you need.To clean it up if you had some craytex wheels for the dremmel you could clean it up now.Craytex wheels are rubber impregnated with grit and come in coarse medium and fine.They are not real agressive and they will conform to diffrent shapes or thickness by useing a old file to shape them. I think you can get them from brownels. The mark of a true artest is makeing a mistake but turning the mistake into art. In other words, you may well be able to clean it up and make it look and work like its what you wanted it to. Dont look like you have ground into anywhere that is weakening the chambers.If all else fails send the cylinder to me and i can weld it up and recut the safty notch. I commend you on being humble enough to post pictures of your boo boo and ask for advice, thats how you learn.A dremmel is a demon possesd power tool,lol, more than a few of us have done the texas chainsaw massacer on a gun with one,lol.Dont get discouraged, its fixable one way or another.

BerettaGhost
July 28, 2013, 02:27 AM
Thanks for cheering me up

i may want to buy a new cylinder as a back up eventually.

Your right my boo boo i deleted them for now off here.

Yes everyone i am sure has made Mistakes and turned them into art but in this case i do not think its a picaso lol.

i Would not mind sending it to you but then i do not at this time have a spare cylinder to play with on that revolver so id feel naked.

i wish JBWeld could fill it in

Though i still have my Uberti Pocket which is nice.

BerettaGhost
July 28, 2013, 02:50 AM
I dont think you have ruined it from what i can see. You can stack 4 or 5 cut off disks together on the dremmel arbor to make a grinding wheel to the width you need.To clean it up if you had some craytex wheels for the dremmel you could clean it up now.Craytex wheels are rubber impregnated with grit and come in coarse medium and fine.They are not real agressive and they will conform to diffrent shapes or thickness by useing a old file to shape them. I think you can get them from brownels. The mark of a true artest is makeing a mistake but turning the mistake into art. In other words, you may well be able to clean it up and make it look and work like its what you wanted it to. Dont look like you have ground into anywhere that is weakening the chambers.If all else fails send the cylinder to me and i can weld it up and recut the safty notch. I commend you on being humble enough to post pictures of your boo boo and ask for advice, thats how you learn.A dremmel is a demon possesd power tool,lol, more than a few of us have done the texas chainsaw massacer on a gun with one,lol.Dont get discouraged, its fixable one way or another.
i like your idea on the stacking of disks i never thought of that.
However i do not the cut to widen anymore near bottom at that notch.
Im Sent

kituwa
July 28, 2013, 02:54 AM
Yea, get another cylinder first and then you can send the old one if you want and i will weld it up and recut the notch for you. They prolly sell cylinders where you bought the gun or you may find one on ebay if you watch a bit.

BerettaGhost
July 28, 2013, 03:01 AM
Soon as i get another one you can fix this one.
Thanks for all your help

By the way i never owned a dremel till a few months ago and this picture here is my 1st attempt to put in a Kirst Cylinder

tell me if its bad good or decent or not safe to use

i am using the lighter recommended cowboy loads for it by Magtech

i finally sanded off the light scratches not shown in this picture.

Thanks

kituwa
July 28, 2013, 03:25 AM
Looks good to me. Does the loading gate work right?

BerettaGhost
July 28, 2013, 03:32 AM
The loading gate works fine and i can load it with ease using cowboy loads and snap caps.

i know i took a chance doing this on my first project on a New Revolver,
where i could have used a cheaper blued version but i guess im that way i take my chances and if i had to id buy a new Frame.

But i guess its not bad for my 1st time holding a dremel
btw that was done before working on the cylinder with no lights on lol.

BerettaGhost
July 28, 2013, 02:57 PM
Ok

i took your advices about me just finishing what i had started and i even stacked 3 small disks together to lightly open up the area.
Now the Cylinder locks in the safety slot and will not even slip of of position,which is a good thing.

At first the hand would drag a little on the edge of where i grinded.
so i did not force it to turn.

i removed the cylinder and smoothed down the rough edges and put it back in.
Now the cylinder turns freely the way it should.

Sure it could have been a nicer looking job if i took my time and had the proper size disks.

i do not mind anyone telling me i did a good job a not so good of a job or a bad job and could use more improvement.

i just am not a quitter i do not pack up and stop because i failed a few times.i keep at it till i see something that looks nice.

Everyone has had to have gone through trial and error in life or i doubt some of us would be here.

Jaymo
July 28, 2013, 03:47 PM
SMC, as in Sheet Molding Compound?

kituwa
July 28, 2013, 04:01 PM
Im glad you got it going again. When you get a chance shoot some groups for us.

BerettaGhost
July 28, 2013, 04:26 PM
Thank You.

Will Do that sometime.

BerettaGhost
July 29, 2013, 02:47 PM
Collection i have as of now

1858 Stainless Steel Buffalo with Kirst .44 - .45
1858 New Army Brass .44
NAA Super Companion Magnum .22
Uberti 1849 Pocket .31-.32
Pietta 1863 Remington Pocket .31
Uberti 1862 Police .36 with 4 1/2" Barrel (last one in stock)

i Removed the blue from the Uberti Pocket and the Pocket Remington
and then shined them up with Mothers Aluminum Polish

MY Next purchase i would like to have the Colt Walker .45

EljaySL
July 29, 2013, 04:08 PM
Dixie at least used to have steel listed but you'll have to add to cart to see if it's in stock.

BerettaGhost
July 29, 2013, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the heads up but
i just got off phone with Taylors they put it on backorder for me

BerettaGhost
July 30, 2013, 03:06 PM
@kituwa

1863 Pocket Remington Brass and Silver Two Tone

i removed the Bluing,
and then used Mothers Aluminum Polish.

No it did not take 4 episodes of cops on TV to get it done lol.

It took many more hours as i wanted a nicer Mirror like finish.

i also as you recall took some tension off the Main Spring to make the Hammer Cock back very easily almost as smooth as the 1858.

You Do not have to use two hands or have the Strength of a mule to cock is back like when it first came out of box.

faustopph
July 30, 2013, 10:55 PM
Sorry. It is SCM Engraver

BerettaGhost
July 31, 2013, 12:04 AM
Sorry. It is SCM Engraver
i guess you meant that for Page 3 on this Thread about the SMC.

At First i thought it was Directed to me then i realized when you said
Sheet Metal Compound.

faustopph
July 31, 2013, 01:23 PM
I thought that I had quoted the post , but it is not. Didn't mean to cause any confusion.lol

BerettaGhost
July 31, 2013, 01:36 PM
I thought that I had quoted the post , but it is not. Didn't mean to cause any confusion.lol

It is ok it Happens to me a few times as well.
Quick reply helps fix that i notice.

BerettaGhost
August 5, 2013, 04:16 PM
i just added the Uberti Police with the 4 1/2" Barrel

If it were not for the beautiful engraving on the Cylinder of my 1849 .32
i would let the 1849 go and keep the 1862 Police .36 cal

i wish they had a Fluted Barrel with engraving for the 1862

Not much size difference,The Police is a tad Bigger.

If you enjoyed reading about "31 caliber remington" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!