Kimber Customer Service

PDA

luzyfuerza
July 21, 2009, 02:08 AM
I had a number of handguns stolen from a moving and storage company several years ago while I was working outside of the United States. One of these was recovered and returned to me recently: a full-sized plain-Jane Kimber Custom Classic.

I wish that I could know where the gun had been and what its users had done with it while it was out of my control!

Anyway, it was in like-new condition when I put it in storage. When I received it back from the police agency that recovered it, it had clearly seen better days. The slide was scored in several places. Both sights were badly gouged. The safety lever looked like it had been dragged across a concrete patio. The grip panels looked like someone had taken a box-cutter to them. The barrel and other fire control parts showed the kind of corrosion that comes from being carried IWB in hot weather without a holster. Oh, and I swear that it had never, ever been cleaned!!! Not even once!!!

Most importantly, it didn't work reliably, even after I scrubbed it clean and while using magazines and ammo that my Custom II eats without a burp.

I sent the recovered gun to Kimber together with a letter that told them the gun's history. I asked them to buff out the gouges and to re-blue the slide, and to see what they could do about the reliability problem. I couldn't spend a ton of money on this gun, so I decided that the other problems would just have to stand.

Kimber reblued the slide and cleaned up the gouges as I requested. The finish work is terrific! But what I appreciated even more was the other work that Kimber did on this gun. Gratis, they replaced the front and rear sights, both grip panels, sent a new magazine, polished up the safety lever, and replaced virtually all of the internal fire control parts, replaced and tuned the extractor, and polished off all of the internal corrosion. Someone went the extra mile to make this pistol close to what it was when some idiot thought that he needed it more than me.

It looks almost new now, and best of all, works absolutely flawlessly! I couldn't be happier!

Kimber didn't have to do all this. But I appreciate it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Kimber Customer Service" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kyo
July 21, 2009, 02:18 AM
wow what a great story. +1 for me when i consider my first 1911.

Mags
July 21, 2009, 03:58 AM
Way to go Kimber!

robphillips
July 21, 2009, 05:13 PM
Nice to here a company taking care of their customers.

GodGuns&Guitars
July 21, 2009, 05:57 PM
Glad to hear you got your pistol back and that Kimber did right by you. They've gone the extra mile for several people I know. If you call them up and are polite about things they usually do.

If you enjoyed reading about "Kimber Customer Service" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!