About to buy a pistol..

PDA

Dumptruck
July 21, 2009, 10:18 AM
....and I need to ask a question or two. I have purchased firearms before (including two pistols). I recently moved into a new house and did the change of address.

However, I have not had a chance to make it to the DMV to change the address on my drivers license. Will there be an issue if I put my new home address on the forms and then end up showing a drivers license with my old address on it?

If you enjoyed reading about "About to buy a pistol.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mgkdrgn
July 21, 2009, 11:21 AM
....and I need to ask a question or two. I have purchased firearms before (including two pistols). I recently moved into a new house and did the change of address.

However, I have not had a chance to make it to the DMV to change the address on my drivers license. Will there be an issue if I put my new home address on the forms and then end up showing a drivers license with my old address on it?

You could end up with a delay, yes. Might as well get the DMV thing done and avoid the hassle, right? If you were coming to me for a transfer, I'd make you cough up something "official" that had the correct address on it before I'd risk my license.

gunlaw
July 22, 2009, 12:37 AM
I had a similar problem when I applied for my ccw. The St. Louis county police dept accepted a current utility bill as proof of residency. yea i was suprised.

Proinsias
July 22, 2009, 02:55 AM
Depends on your state. Some make you get a completely new license every time you move, some don't care. If the latter, then the DMV sometimes offers a card you carry with your license that has the new address. That might work when you buy. Check with the FFL first.

TheFallGuy
July 22, 2009, 05:25 AM
The FFL will probably say no go as has happened to me in the past. Just get it fixed and be on your way. Most states will give you a piece of paper to accompany you license and then you are gold. Last time I moved it was $8 for a duplicate and I got the paper on the spot. Why not just get it done? If the paper accompanies your old ID-it's valid and the FFL can't turn it down.

ChCx2744
July 22, 2009, 05:32 AM
All they made me do was go to the tackle shop and buy a one day fishing license with my current address on it. They do that because they need "SOMETHING" government issued with your valid address on it. Now I just use my paystubs and black out the important information, because I'm a government employee :)

Also, if you have GEICO insurance, you can use your policy documents too, as long as the address is current; Even if you are not a governement employee, technically, GEICO insurance is for government employee, hence what it stands for Government Employee Insurance Company. :D

bondmid003
July 22, 2009, 11:26 PM
Not sure where you're at but Florida was pretty sticky about you having the right address on your license (i.e. take the time to go get a new one)

If you enjoyed reading about "About to buy a pistol.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!