Tokarev TT-33

PDA

m500'92
July 21, 2009, 06:03 PM
Does anyone have any experience with a Tokarev TT-33. I am considering buying one so i thought it would be good to see others opinions of it first. If you have used it, what were your impressions of it?

If you enjoyed reading about "Tokarev TT-33" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ash
July 21, 2009, 06:22 PM
Crude, solid, thin, durable, reliable. Are you really getting a Russian TT-33? If so, they are collectors pistols (but certainly should be shot). If it is Romanian, Yugoslav, Chinese or Polish, they are good pistols, if rough around the edges.

m500'92
July 21, 2009, 06:26 PM
The ones i was looking at were ww2 period Russian and for around $200.

Ash
July 21, 2009, 06:29 PM
Great price, if they are real. They will have either the Ivhsevk Arrow-in-the-triangle or the Tula star as their markings. I would have no problem getting one for its historic value, alone.

Ash

cchris
July 21, 2009, 07:06 PM
Jgsales and centerfiresystems have the Romanian ones for $200, so an actual Russian one seems like a good deal in comparison with those.

m500'92
July 21, 2009, 09:05 PM
Yeah, it seems like in Canada we don't get too bad of deals for Russian guns. So what kind of accuracy could you expect out of one?

WardenWolf
July 21, 2009, 09:20 PM
I prefer the Romanian Tokarevs. Accurate, and very fine pistols. Shoot like a good 1911.

bgrav321
July 21, 2009, 10:32 PM
I have a Romanian. I absolutely love the gun and shoot it frequently. The cartridge is great for longer ranges, I have no trouble keeping it in the vital area at 25 yards, even firing fast, and I'm not a great pistolero at all. I've handled a lot of newer plastic guns, like an M and P, and I like my tokarev better. Granted, it doensn't hold 17 rounds...but it feels great in the hand. It's very thin and points well. I like wood and steel guns...

jeffesonm
July 22, 2009, 12:56 AM
Crude, solid, thin, durable, reliable. Good summary.

I'll also add "cheap to shoot", presuming you buy surplus ammo. Sure you have to clean it afterward but that is well worth the price to me.

Ash
July 22, 2009, 07:31 AM
Yeah, but cleaning for corrosive salts in a pistol is child's play. I hesitate at times to shoot corrosive through a rifle, especially a semi-auto. But in a pistol, I do it without pause.

Ash

christcorp
July 22, 2009, 10:21 AM
Excellent gun. Inexpensive; ammo is less than $6 when calculating a box of 50; and except for the magnums like the 357 and 44, the 7.62x25 will kick the butt out of just about anything else used for handgun defense. The military rounds will go right through steel. Definitely a fun gun.

amd6547
July 22, 2009, 07:23 PM
I wouldn't call my Romanian TT33C "crude"...simple, perhaps. There really is nothing about it that can be described as crude. Machining is nice, finish is good, lock-up is tight.
I shoot it out to 100yds. A great woods or car pistol, and I would even use it for CCW if I found some of the Wolf JHP ammo.

Ash
July 22, 2009, 07:50 PM
Every Tokarev I have owned was crude.

theotherwaldo
July 22, 2009, 08:00 PM
I find them crude and elegant at the same time. It's a carefully-thought-out design that was created with the limitations of Soviet industry and education in mind. The removable sear-and-hammer group is sheer genius, as is making the feed lips part of the gun rather than part of the magazine.

I have four plus a parts kit, and I wouldn't mind getting one or two more.

Prince Yamato
July 22, 2009, 08:30 PM
Hey folks, he's from Canada. If you can get the real Russian deal, ABSOLUTELY. You probably also don't have to have a stupid aftermarket safety added for import points, like we do. You cold also get Chinese ones from Marstar.

c919
July 22, 2009, 10:11 PM
Go for it. I got a Romanian TT recently and haven't looked back.

harmon rabb
July 22, 2009, 10:21 PM
I have a Romanian. It's great fun to shoot, is a very flat gun which would make it easy to carry in certain locations, and shoots a relatively powerful round. It is actually my only pistol which has never had any sort of malfunction. even my sig 226 has experienced one stovepipe. not my tokarev, and i've shot many rounds through it, seeing how cheap the ammo is.

It's also the pistol / round that somehow defies the laws of physics. The milsurp loads hit with the same force as a .45 or .357mag... yet kick barely more than a 9mm. Go figure.

Flash!
July 22, 2009, 11:55 PM
I have the Romanian also... its accuracy really surprised me.... I really like it and at $200 they are a bargain.

jonnyc
July 23, 2009, 12:36 AM
There's something really satisfying about the sound of a TT at play. No other pistol round, at least that I shoot regularly, has that same authoritative roar.

junior geezer
July 23, 2009, 01:39 AM
There's something really satisfying about the sound of a TT at play. No other pistol round, at least that I shoot regularly, has that same authoritative roar.

they certainly do crack. and all but guaranteed to produce a through-and-through wound.

Ash
July 23, 2009, 08:08 AM
Unless you use hollow points, of course. I have some FNM's that are great.

Dazen
July 23, 2009, 10:43 AM
I enjoy my Romanian too. Payed $180 for it and bought over 7 thousand rounds at close to 6 cents a round. It's definitely cheaper to shoot this pistol then others. Now i just need to find a rifle or carbine to share this 7.62x25 with.

The one thing i could do with out would be the added safety.. I am going to have to machine a lever to replace the craptastic one they put on this pistol.

Shear_stress
July 23, 2009, 11:07 AM
Got a couple of Yugos and a Chinese. Love the 1911-style safety on the Yugos.

jeffesonm
July 23, 2009, 12:08 PM
The one thing i could do with out would be the added safety.. I am going to have to machine a lever to replace the craptastic one they put on this pistol.I just removed the safety on my Romanian... one day I'll get around to plugging the holes.

m500'92
July 24, 2009, 03:02 PM
Ya i've seen those chinese ones at marstar, i think they cost the same and are new, are they very good?

woad_yurt
July 24, 2009, 03:30 PM
I have a Chinese one and it's superb. Norinco used harder steel than did the others; I think they're the best of the lot.

amd6547
July 24, 2009, 05:06 PM
Here's a "crude" Tokarev for you...

Ash
July 24, 2009, 05:28 PM
Any sows ear can be made into a purse...

amd6547
July 24, 2009, 11:33 PM
Of course, sometimes it is not the pistol which is crude, but the owner.

Ash
July 24, 2009, 11:55 PM
Very true. Take heed, though, of the barbarian in your midst...

The_Shootist
July 25, 2009, 12:15 AM
I've heard that the safety is...ummm...sort of for show? Kinda unreliable. Sure, there are better CCW pistols out there, but I'd be leery of using one for CHL if carrying one with one in the pipe could have ugly consequences.

woad_yurt
July 25, 2009, 12:31 AM
There's a half cock hammer block that is very, very strong. Just cock fully and shoot.

Ash
July 25, 2009, 12:33 AM
Original Tokes don't have a safety other than half-cock.

Ash

amd6547
July 25, 2009, 12:38 AM
The add on safety on my Romanian is certainly not a carry safety for cocked and locked, but it does prove to be useful at the range...It does lock the trigger.
For me, the proper carry mode in normal civilian carry for the Tok is chamber empty, hammer cocked. This makes it quite easy to pull the slide. The Tok at half cock locks the trigger and slide. Pulling the slide to load the first round when the hammer is all the way down requires a hard rapid yank to avoid stopping at half cock and locking it up.
In more threatening circumstances, I would have no problem carrying chamber loaded, hammer at half cock, thumbing it at draw.
ASH, please describe the models of Tokarev you have owned, and what you consider to be crude about them.

Onmilo
July 25, 2009, 02:28 AM
I sure like my craptastic sows ear Romanian made piece of strangely accurate junk.
http://www.fototime.com/690184F17BE55D0/standard.jpg

Ash
July 25, 2009, 08:22 AM
Never said they were crap or junk. "Crude, solid, thin, durable, reliable...they are good pistols, if rough around the edges," was, and is my thought.

Alpacca 45
July 25, 2009, 09:08 AM
I worked with a guy for a month in Africa and never realised he was carrying until he chose to show me.

He'd had a Tok in the wasteband of his trousers all that time with no sign of the thing printing. True he had a pretty impressive build, but was less than 5' 10" tall, and was wearing "summer" clothes.

krs
July 26, 2009, 12:44 PM
You're saying that you were so enthralled with his abs that you never looked at his, umm, waistband?

That IS impressive! :D

Realbigo
July 26, 2009, 01:34 PM
Buy it and Buy it now!! I want one so badly it tortures me.

Mastiff
July 26, 2009, 11:13 PM
I own 5. The 7.62x25 pistol is very easy to adapt to the 9x23 Winchester round, which is the ballistic duplicate to the 357 Magnum. It cost me all of $50 to do the conversion.
As stated elsewhere on this thread, the Yugo M-57 actually has a usable 1911 type safety. Before I got my Yugo's I carried the pistol on the half-cock and safety off. Now the Yugo's are my carry pistols, and I carry fully cocked and locked.
I forgot to mention that I got my first Tokarev's back in 1992. I shot over 55,000 rounds through one of them. It was my most accurate pistol, and I never had a FTF or FTE. For the money, I don't think there is a better deal in a handgun on the planet.

HellsBattleMoose
May 8, 2010, 06:32 PM
I am in Canada and I have a genuine Russian TT-33. I couldn't be happier with it. It is just beautiful. Now, the ammo is a little hard to come by, by it's worth it. The gun shoots just amazingly, and it sounds like a cannon. I was up on the range last week and I actually had one of the range officers on the rifle range come over to the handgun range because she thought I was firing a 308 on the hand gun range.

It's an awesome gun. Cost me $300. I got 4 clips with it, plus the holster and a carrying case for it. Couldn't be happier.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tokarev TT-33" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!