Name the most asinine firearms law you can think of

PDA

atblis
July 21, 2009, 07:41 PM
Try and keep this factual. If you're unsure, look up the law. Provide a link to the text of the law. ATF decrees are also acceptable.

The import points system for handguns is one of my favorites. Supposedly the Glock 26/23 come with a grooved trigger as opposed to the normal smooth trigger in order to have a "target trigger" and thus gain enough points to be importable.

http://www.saysuncle.com/archives/2005/12/15/on_gun_laws_that_are_dumb/

I could list several more, but I'll let you guys have at it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Name the most asinine firearms law you can think of" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
General Geoff
July 21, 2009, 07:42 PM
1934 National Firearms Act (http://www.atf.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/nfa.htm)

It's very silly without the inclusion of handguns. Add a forward grip to a handgun, BAM illegal. Remove the shoulder stock from a rifle, BAM illegal (but folding stocks are fine!). ADD a shoulder stock to a pistol, BAM illegal. Less than 16" barrel somehow makes a rifle more dangerous... hmm..

Dr. Fresh
July 21, 2009, 07:43 PM
922(r)

Or all of them. Yeah, I'm going with all of them.

2RCO
July 21, 2009, 07:55 PM
I think General Geoff has the winner.

The 1934 law is really where it all went wrong!

tju1973
July 21, 2009, 07:57 PM
:fire:The fact that the 922 or whatever the "import points" does not allow a Glock 25 or 28 to be imported, but you can put $100 or less on an American made POS-- ie Lorcin, Bryco, Jennings, Cobra, etc, and have no issues...

Yeah, the government has our best interest in mind....

FHBrumb
July 21, 2009, 08:05 PM
In Wisconsin, open carry of a loaded pistol is legal for anyone that can legally purchase it. But once you sit in your car, it must magically and instantly become unloaded and locked away from the owner's immediate access.

A loaded pistol, or an accessible pistol are both illegal in a vehicle.

spartywrx
July 21, 2009, 08:52 PM
1.) In Michigan, any rifle with a length of 26-30" when folded and is operational is considered to be a pistol and must be registered as a pistol.

2.) It is illegal to have a loaded long-arm in your car and accessible to you, even if you have a pistol carry permit.

1+2 = Thus any rifle that falls in the 26-30" range (eg M1 carbine with paratrooper folding stock) is a pistol under Michigan law, and you may now carry it in your vehicle loaded and accessible if you have a concealed pistol permit. Or you can carry it anywhere else if its registered as a pistol in Michigan.

But don't you dare carry a 31"OAL rifle loaded and accessible in your car! Jail time for that!

Landpimp
July 21, 2009, 09:13 PM
WA State, we can own and install a supressor, but a bullet can not pass thru the barrel..........:banghead:

atblis
July 21, 2009, 09:50 PM
Add a forward grip to a handgun, BAM illegal.
I've read that's not actually true. Somewhere on here. Was interesting. I'll see if i can find it.

janedoedad
July 21, 2009, 09:58 PM
The "Public Gathering" laws relating to CC and OC in Georgia. :banghead:

atblis
July 21, 2009, 10:01 PM
The "Public Gathering" laws relating to CC and OC in Georgia.
Some details?

iHateRodents
July 21, 2009, 10:02 PM
SBRs are illegal, but pistols are legal. What a crock :banghead:

HKUSP45C
July 21, 2009, 10:05 PM
I've read that's not actually true. Somewhere on here. Was interesting. I'll see if i can find it.

The BATFE says that whomever wrote what you read was wrong.

http://www.ihmsa.org/BATFE.htm

U.S. Department of Justice
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco,
Firearms and Explosives

Washington, DC 20226

Adding a Vertical Fore Grip to a Handgun
"Handgun" is defined under Federal law to mean, in part, a firearm which has
a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single
hand.... Gun Control Act of 1968, 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(29).
Under an implementing regulation of the National Firearms Act (NFA), 27
C.F.R. § 479.11, "pistol" is defined as a weapon originally designed, made,
and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when
held in one hand, and having (a) a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or
permanently aligned with, the bore(s); and (b) a short stock designed to be
gripped by one hand and at an angle to and extending below the line of the
bore(s).
The NFA further defines the term "any other weapon" (AOW) as any weapon or
device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be
discharged through the energy of an explosive, a pistol or revolver having a
barrel with a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun
shell, weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels 12 inches or more,
less than 18 inches in length, from which only a single discharge can be
made from either barrel without manual reloading, and shall include any such
weapon which may be readily restored to fire. Such term shall not include a
pistol or revolver having a rifled bore, or rifled bores, or weapons
designed, made, or intended to be fired from the shoulder and not capable of
firing fixed ammunition. 26 U.S.C. § 5845(e).
ATF has long held that by installing a vertical fore grip on a handgun, the
handgun is no longer designed to be held and fired by the use of a single
hand. Therefore, if individuals install a vertical fore grip on a handgun,
they are "making" a firearm requiring registration with ATF's NFA Branch.
Making an unregistered "AOW" is punishable by a fine and 10 years'
imprisonment. Additionally, possession of an unregistered "AOW" is also
punishable by fine and 10 years' imprisonment.
To lawfully add a vertical fore grip to a handgun, a person must make an
appropriate application on ATF Form 1, "Application to Make and Register a
Firearm." The applicant must submit the completed form, along with a
fingerprint card bearing the applicant's fingerprints; a photograph; and
$200.00. The application will be reviewed by the NFA Branch. If the
applicant is not prohibited from possessing a firearm under Federal, State,
or local law, and possession of an "AOW" is not prohibited in the
applicant's State of residence, the form will be approved. Only then may the
person add a vertical fore grip to the designated handgun.
A person may also send the handgun to a person licensed to manufacture NFA
weapons. The manufacturer will install the fore grip on the firearm and
register the firearm on an ATF Form 2. The manufacturer can then transfer
the firearm back to the individual on an ATF Form 4, which results in a
$5.00 transfer tax. If the manufacturer is out of State, the NFA Branch will
need a clarification letter submitted with the ATF Form 4 so that the NFA
Branch Examiner will know the circumstances of the transfer. Questions can
be directed to the NFA Branch or the Firearms Technology Branch.

atblis
July 21, 2009, 10:09 PM
Funny thing about the ATF is that they are sometimes wrong (disturbingly often), but it'll probably take a court case to prove that. A court case was referenced as the proof that the forward grip on a pistol thing is not necessarily true.

janedoedad
July 21, 2009, 10:11 PM
ATBLIS, Post 12: The Georgia laws are not so much assinine as ambiguous. Below is the short form version from a local RTKBA group. The long form GA statutes would put you asleep.

From Georgia Packing.Org:

Public Gatherings: It is against the law (misdemeanor offense) for a person (licensed or not) to carry to or while at a public gathering any explosive compound, firearm, or knife designed for the purpose of offense or defense (including ANY deadly weapon not listed here). A public gathering is defined and includes, but is not limited too, athletic or sporting events, churches or church functions, political rallies and/or functions, publicly owned or operated buildings(Fed, state, or local government buildings), and establishments at which alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption on the premises and it derives less than 50 percent of their total annual gross food and beverage sales from the sale of prepared meals or food (Basically bars but not restaurants with bars in them. Check their business license if you are not sure as the state license lists what is a restaurant that servers alcohol and what is a bar. Does not apply to stores that sell alcohol for consumption somewhere else, like liquor stores, gas stations, etc.). Nothing in this code section shall otherwise prohibit the carrying of a firearm in any other public place by a person licensed or permitted to do so. (This means licensees are permitted to carry in stores, malls, financial institutions, and other places open to the public) Five areas are specifically defined as public gatherings, but since the definition of a public gathering is not limited to the five areas, what else could be considered a public gathering? Attorney general Mike Bowers issued an opinion that addresses this very issue. In his definition a public gathering is "a place in which the public gathers or will gather for an particular event or function and does not apply to a place (such as a shopping mall, Walmart, grocery store, McDonalds; see State v. Burns), where people may gather even in large numbers when there is no event or function". So basically a public gathering in addition to the 5 defined areas is an event or function that the general public gathers or will gather for. This may be a parade, music event, free contests, presentation speakers, or any other publicized event that the general public can gather for. Remember however if a public place that is not off limits by the definition of this code section CAN still be defined as a public gathering IF any of the activities defined above are taking place on the premises. i.e. a mall that is hosting a public speaker or a music concert or portions of the mall that hold religious services or portions leased to a government agency.

Also keep in mind that this prohibition also applies to the grounds that are on or in close proximity of the "public gathering". i.e. the parking lot of a bar, stadium, church, or the common area of the premises that is hosting a "public gathering". It is an affirmative defense to violation of this code section if a person notifies any law enforcement officer or security guard employed to provide security for the public gathering, if you are in possession of a deadly weapon while at a public gathering as soon as you learn of it's presence and you surrender or secure such weapon as directed by the law enforcement officer or security guard providing security for the public gathering. (This does not mean you can carry to a public gathering, this section means that if you are carrying to a public gathering and you realize that you accidentally brought your weapon, then you can come forward to a LEO or security guard and surrender your weapon without risking arrest. This code section is clearly criminal in nature and the burden is on the state to show intent to violate this code section) This law shall not apply to competitors participating in a sport shooting or gun event, law enforcement officers, district attorneys, judges, magistrates, solicitors, persons in the state or US military and more. Please see 16-11-130 for the full list. (16-11-127, Carroll co. probate court, AG opinion U96-22)

Weapons on school property and functions: It is (felony offense) unlawful for a person to carry ANY type of weapon onto or within 1,000 feet of real property owned or leased by any public or private elementary school, secondary school, or school board and used for elementary or secondary education and in, on, or within 1,000 feet of the campus of any public or private technical school, vocational school, college, university, or institution of post secondary education.

This code section does not apply to persons who are licensed under code 16-11-129 (Georgia Firearm License) or in accordance with code 43-38-10 (special carry licenses for security guards) when such person carries or picks up a student at a school building, school function, or school property or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school. (I'm not sure of the total legality actually carrying into a school building while picking up or dropping off a student, but it appears to be completely legal since the code does not say anything about not being allowed to enter the building while carrying. Note that the public gathering code makes an exception for what is allowed in this school law. I wouldn't loiter around in the halls or cafeteria, but instead make a straight bee line to the office and back in order to drop off or pick up a student if you are required to do so.) This code section shall not apply to Teachers and other school personnel who are otherwise authorized to possess or carry weapons, provided that any such weapon is in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in a locked container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle. This code section shall also not apply to a weapon which is in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in a locked container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle which is being used by an adult over 21 years of age to bring to or pick up a student at a school building, school function, or school property or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school, or when such vehicle is used to transport someone to an activity being conducted on school property which has been authorized by a duly authorized official of the school; provided, however, that this exception shall not apply to a student attending such school; and shall not prohibit any person who resides or works in a business or is in the ordinary course transacting lawful business or any person who is a visitor of such resident located within a school safety zone from carrying, possessing, or having under such person's control a weapon within a school safety zone(this code section does not apply to anyone carrying or transporting a weapon through the zone, or while conducting business while in the zone, or while visiting someone who resides in the zone. Be advised however if you step onto actual school property (while not picking up or dropping off a student), the building or land the building is situated on, then you are in violation even if you have a license. Be careful!) however, it shall be unlawful for any such person to carry, possess, or have under such person's control while at a school building or school function or on school property, a school bus, or other transportation furnished by the school any weapon or explosive compound.(16-11-127.1)

Hey, you asked! :neener:

HKUSP45C
July 21, 2009, 10:18 PM
Funny thing about the ATF is that they are sometimes wrong (disturbingly often), but it'll probably take a court case to prove that. A court case was referenced as the proof that the forward grip on a pistol thing is not necessarily true.

Oh, I see, you wanted to argue philosophy. I'll let you take that up with them.

Last time I checked ATF opinions on laws and rulings were binding until challeged and overturned in a court. You go first, I'll hide and watch.

But hey! At least we know it's legal, so, it must be.

The case that spurred the letter was dropped before a verdict was reached but, now that the BATFE has clarified their understanding and intentions of future enforcement there's not much of a legal leg to stand on at this point.

I'd be happy to concede my ignorance if you can show me some case law where the opinion was struck down as unlawful.

TexasRifleman
July 21, 2009, 10:31 PM
A court case was referenced as the proof that the forward grip on a pistol thing is not necessarily true.

It was US v Davis, 1993.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/us_v_davis2.txt

Conclusion 27:

27. Even after being modified with grips, the pistols are
still "pistols" as defined above and not "any other weapon" as
defined by 26 U.S.C. section 5845(e).

ATF lost but they did not change their written opinion and therefore will still arrest for it.

ATF's interpretation is still what prosecutors will use to decide what charges will be brought.

So, you might win like Davis, or you might lose.

atblis
July 21, 2009, 10:44 PM
Last time I checked ATF opinions on laws and rulings were binding until challeged and overturned in a court. You go first, I'll hide and watch.
See U.S. v. Fix also.

Funny thing (and very frustrating) is that the ATF in letters has acknowledged that a pistol with a forward grip is not an AOW by citing these court cases.

HKUSP45C
July 21, 2009, 10:45 PM
ATF lost but they did not change their written opinion and therefore will still arrest for it.

Well... The court granted a motion to dismiss the charges based upon the court's conclusion that a pistol with a forward grip didn't constitute an AOW.

They didn't actually aquit the defendant and codify it in law. Dismissal on motion based upon the courts findings isn't really a "win" in my estimation. It's like showing up to a fist fight and standing at the playground all by yourself.

Further, the open letter to FFLs was issued years after Davis was dismissed. I propose that the new clarification and instruction from the BATFE after Davis makes the opinion (of the BATFE) much harder (if not impossible) to overcome in court.

Again, I could be wrong BUT I think the BATFE would agree with my understanding of the circumstances.

ETA: see U.S. v. Fix
Do you mean: United States of America, Plaintiff-appellee, v. Lawrence Christopher Fix, Defendant-appellant

Because I don't how that helps your case. Could you link to the relevant case if the one I've found is not the one you're referring to? If it is the same case, could you provide some clarification as to how it proves that forawrd pistol grips attached to pistols don't create an AOW according the agency tasked with enforcing the law? Or that the agency is wrong according to the Judicial system.

The Wiry Irishman
July 21, 2009, 10:47 PM
How about the 18 to own, 21 to buy laws for handguns and handgun ammunition?

TexasRifleman
July 21, 2009, 10:47 PM
Well... The court granted a motion to dismiss the charges based upon the court's conclusion that a pistol with a forward grip didn't constitute an AOW.

Oh I'm not arguing that it's correct, I was just posting the reference because the guy that brought it up couldn't remember the case name.

It was a "win" for Davis and a loss for ATF to a certain extent, but it didn't really change anything.

zxcvbob
July 21, 2009, 10:51 PM
No open-carry in Texas. (that's just wrong on so many levels)

tju1973
July 21, 2009, 11:02 PM
I agree-- Reconstruction was supposed to end with the 14th Amendment... 8*(

SteveCase
July 21, 2009, 11:18 PM
that would have to be just two words MAY ISSUE

jojo200517
July 21, 2009, 11:58 PM
Join the military go to iraq come home and still have to take hunters ed class to get hunting permit.

If you were born after a certain date in SC you have to take hunters ed class no matter what to get permit.

Oh yeah and no high capacity mags or class 3 weapons for hunting :( Its not like i'm gonna take 30 deer with it any easier than I would with a single shot. I'm gonna just make dang sure one I hit doesn't walk away.

ArmedLiberal
July 22, 2009, 12:27 AM
10 day waiting period. Makes you cool off before you try to buy a gun in a fit murderous rage, even if you already own guns.

N003k
July 22, 2009, 12:46 AM
14 day waiting period, unless you have a permit to carry or a hunting permit.

Appearently if you hunt or have gotten a carry permit, you're immune to flying into a murderous rage and buying a new gun to kill someone, however if you haven't, you will only attempt to purchase a firearm if you intend to kill someone, even though you may already have a gun...

AirplaneDoc
July 22, 2009, 12:56 AM
Chicago and Oak Park handgun ban

We have several more in Illinois

jcwit
July 22, 2009, 01:26 AM
Carring an unloaded weapon and having no ammo available while on guard duty while in the U.S. Army.

Birdmang
July 22, 2009, 01:33 AM
^explain please?

j-easy
July 22, 2009, 01:37 AM
1934 nfa

CoRoMo
July 22, 2009, 09:04 AM
Barrel length, overall length and shoulder stock laws.

Suppressor/silencer laws.

Straw purchase law.

AirForceShooter
July 22, 2009, 09:25 AM
New York City Sullivan law.
Ignored by at least 500,000 people as estimated.

AFS

snorky18
July 22, 2009, 09:40 AM
Carring an unloaded weapon and having no ammo available while on guard duty while in the U.S. Army.

^^That might take the cake.

Stupid North Carolina Laws:

Even with a CCP, you can't carry in a movie theater (b/c it's dark and scary I guess, you'll shoot your eye out kid! :rolleyes:) or anywhere else that charges admission.
From http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-269.3.html

Even with a CCP, you can't carry at a funeral. :scrutiny: Not that I go to many funerals, but what would the be the big deal? IIRC this one comes from some kind of shootout at/during a funeral between 2 different ethnic groups a long time ago in Winson Salem or Greensboro maybe? Yeah, those guys that started the gun battle clearly cared about the law :cuss:
From http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-277.2.html

On a non firearm related note, I think we have an old state law on the books prohibiting men and women from living together without being married. That hasn't been enforced in a LONG time...

Rich219
July 22, 2009, 12:41 PM
How about in NY it is a felony to touch a pistol if you are over 21 and don't have a pistol permit.

atblis
July 22, 2009, 01:15 PM
Virginia has an assault weapons law that requires an extra form of id proving US citizenship. Here's the definition of an assault weapon in VA.

Any semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol which expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine which will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock.

So basically as along as you don't have the magazine installed in the gun, it's not an assault weapon (assuming the other criteria are not met).

Art Eatman
July 22, 2009, 01:53 PM
For the purpose of this thread, let's limit posts to listings of law, but not discussions back-and-forth.

leadcounsel
July 22, 2009, 05:28 PM
Wow, there are so many! Has anyone mentioned the Tax Stamp requirement to magically make silencers and full auto legal.... How stupid!

Dr. Fresh
July 22, 2009, 05:40 PM
Art, don't take this the wrong way, but isn't a thread supposed to include discussion? Otherwise what's the point?

LickitySplit
July 22, 2009, 07:31 PM
Ahhhh... that's an easy one!

In MA (big surprise there), if a gun club, facility/range possesses a Class A or Class B LTC, it is illegal to shoot at "human figures, human effigies, human silhouettes or any human images"...

The colonel of state police may, after an investigation, grant a Class A license to a club or facility with an on-site shooting range or gallery, which club is incorporated under the laws of the commonwealth for the possession, storage and use of large capacity weapons, ammunition therefor and large capacity feeding devices for use with such weapons on the premises of such club; provided, however, that not less than one shareholder of such club shall be qualified and suitable to be issued such license; and provided further, that such large capacity weapons and ammunition feeding devices may be used under such Class A club license only by such members that possess a valid firearm identification card issued under section 129B or a valid Class A or Class B license to carry firearms, or by such other persons that the club permits while under the direct supervision of a certified firearms safety instructor or club member who, in the case of a large capacity firearm, possesses a valid Class A license to carry firearms or, in the case of a large capacity rifle or shotgun, possesses a valid Class A or Class B license to carry firearms. Such club shall not permit shooting at targets that depict human figures, human effigies, human silhouettes or any human images thereof, except by public safety personnel performing in line with their official duties.

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131.htm

Making the law even more foolish, is that there are only 1-2 clubs/ranges in the state that posses an LTC.

Another candidate...

It is illegal in MA to own, purchase or posses a spent cartridge casing without a permit...

(Note: that is not the way the law is written, but if the definition of "ammunition" is strictly adhered to, along with the requirement that one must be properly licensed to own, purchase or posses ammo, the it's entirely possible that an over zealous prosecutor looking to burn someone (when they can't find anything else to charge them with), has the letter of the law on his/her side...

Chapter 140: Section 121. Firearms sales; definitions; antique firearms; application of law; exceptions

Section 121. As used in sections 122 to 131P, inclusive, the following words shall, unless the context clearly requires otherwise, have the following meanings:-

“Ammunition”, cartridges or cartridge cases, primers (igniter), bullets or propellant powder designed for use in any firearm, rifle or shotgun. The term “ammunition” shall also mean tear gas cartridges, chemical mace or any device or instrument which contains or emits a liquid, gas, powder or any other substance designed to incapacitate.

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-121.htm

Chapter 140: Section 131. Licenses to carry firearms; Class A and B; conditions and restrictions

Section 131. All licenses to carry firearms shall be designated Class A or Class B, and the issuance and possession of any such license shall be subject to the following conditions and restrictions:

(a) A Class A license shall entitle a holder thereof to purchase, rent, lease, borrow, possess and carry: (i) firearms, including large capacity firearms, and feeding devices and ammunition therefor, for all lawful purposes, subject to such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of firearms as the licensing authority deems proper; and (ii) rifles and shotguns, including large capacity weapons, and feeding devices and ammunition therefor, for all lawful purposes; provided, however, that the licensing authority may impose such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of large capacity rifles and shotguns as it deems proper. A violation of a restriction imposed by the licensing authority under the provisions of this paragraph shall be cause for suspension or revocation and shall, unless otherwise provided, be punished by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000; provided, however, that the provisions of section 10 of chapter 269 shall not apply to such violation.

(b) firearms and feeding devices therefor may be so purchased only upon presentment of: (i) a valid Class A or Class B license to carry firearms issued under section 131; or (ii) a valid firearm identification card issued under section 129B together with a valid permit to purchase a firearm issued under section 131A; or (iii) a valid permit to purchase a firearm issued under section 131A together with valid proof of exempt status under section 129C; provided, however, that large capacity firearms and large capacity feeding devices therefor may be so purchased only upon presentment of: (i) a valid Class A license to carry firearms issued under section 131; or (ii) a valid firearm identification card issued under section 129B together with a valid and proper permit to purchase a firearm issued under section 131A; or (iii) a valid and proper permit to purchase a firearm issued under section 131A together with valid proof of exempt status under section 129C; and provided further, that neither a firearm identification card issued under section 129B, nor proof of exempt status under section 129C, shall be valid for the purpose of purchasing any firearm or ammunition feeding device therefor without being presented together with a valid and proper permit to purchase issued under section 131A; and provided further, that an alien permit to possess a rifle or shotgun shall not be valid for the purpose of purchasing firearms or ammunition or ammunition feeding devices therefor; and provided further, that no firearm or ammunition or ammunition feeding device therefor shall be sold to any person less than 21 years of age. Any person who uses said license to carry firearms or firearm identification card for the purpose of purchasing a firearm, rifle or shotgun for the unlawful use of another, or for resale to or giving to an unlicensed person, shall be punished by a fine of not less than one thousand nor more than fifty thousand dollars, or by imprisonment for not less than two and one-half years nor more than ten years in a state prison, or by both such fine and imprisonment. A conviction of a violation of this section shall be reported forthwith by the court to the licensing authority which issued the license or firearm identification card, which shall immediately revoke the license or firearm identification card of such person. No new license or firearm identification card under section one hundred and twenty-nine B or section one hundred and thirty-one shall be issued to any such person within two years after the date of said revocation.

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131e.htm

send2r
July 22, 2009, 08:32 PM
just because you have a ccl from one state if you go to another state your ccl is not valid in the other state. if you wer caught in the other that would probably be a felony and then you would not be able to carry in the original state. go figure

unspellable
July 22, 2009, 08:56 PM
Probably not the most insane, but an interesting comparison.

Until recently I lived in Iowa where a shoulder stock on my pistol was legal but a suppressor on my pistol was illegal.

Now I live in Alabama where a suppressor on that pistol is legal but the shoulder stock is illegal.

BTW: This shoulder stock was on a broomhandle. On first try I gripped it like a rifle stock and the hammer gave my thumb a merciless whack and raised a goose egg. After putting my thumb in a safer location I was still not impressed and sold the shoulder stock. Just as well what with later going to Alabama without a banjo.

ServiceSoon
July 23, 2009, 01:16 PM
The requirement to fill out a form and send it to the fed to take an SBR across state lines, but I can usually (depending on the state) take my pistol.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 23, 2009, 01:22 PM
I think the complete gun bans in Chicago and Oak Park are the worst, of course.

Beyond that, Lautenberg law is the absolute most asinine thing. It deprives people of a *fundamental* civil right, completely, just for being subject to a *civil* domestic restraining order, without conviction of anything. Outrageous.

So-called 'assault weapons bans' are completely nonsensical, do nothing to curb crime, and are blatently unconstitutional. They'd be third place.

Fourth place would be prohibitions on open carry in many states, and lack of shall-issue CCW in many states, and complete bans on carrying in Wisconsin and Illinois.

23 year old requirement to get a CCW is pretty danged stupid, too, in some states. If you're an adult at 21, you're an adult, and should be deemed an adult for ALL purposes. Why should you have to wait 2 more years to adequately defend yourself?

rcmodel
July 23, 2009, 01:34 PM
Used to be a 10-day waiting period to trade a perfectly fine .357 Magnum for a 1936 Colt Woodsman .22.
I always thought that was pretty asinine!

I can hunt deer in Kansas with a 32-20 WCF or 38-40 WCF revolver.
But I can't hunt deer with a .357 SIG, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, or 10mm pistol or revolver.

I always thought that was pretty asinine too!

rc

BTR
July 23, 2009, 02:02 PM
Swapping out the USA made pistol grip on my rifle with an identicle one made in another country is a federal felony. Let's hear someone justify that with without sounding like a fool.

toivo
July 23, 2009, 02:26 PM
How about in NY it is a felony to touch a pistol if you are over 21 and don't have a pistol permit.

Yes. It's pretty bizarre. See Item #7 under "Section 265.20 Exemptions" in New York State Penal Law:

--A person over 18 but under 21 can handle a pistol under the supervision of an instructor.

--But a person over 21 without a permit cannot handle a pistol under any circumstances.*

So an 18-year-old with an interest in handguns can find an instructor and try it out, but a 21-year-old cannot.

What is the earthly purpose of that?

*I believe there may be an exception for a person whose permit application is pending, as long as it takes place within the jurisdiction of the judge who is reviewing the application--I'm still deciphering the legalese.

gego
July 23, 2009, 02:39 PM
In Missouri I can keep a loaded pistol readily accessible in my vehicle without a CCW. Same thing in Arkansas.

But if I cross the border with a readily accessible loaded pistol under federal law I am in violation.

So theoretically I must stop before crossing the border, unload, place the pistol in a lock box, cross the border, stop again, and then I can take the pistol out of the lock box and reload.

You might say that is crossing the line.

mcdonl
July 23, 2009, 03:15 PM
This is my favorite from the City of Portland Maine......

Sec. 17-42. Same--Carrying at nighttime prohibited; exception.
(a) No person shall have in his possession in or on any street, way, sidewalk, park or other public place, or in any motor vehicle on or in any street, way, sidewalk, park, or other public place between the time of sunset of any day and sunrise of the following day any loaded BB gun, air gun of any kind, gas pellet gun of any kind, firearm of any kind or description or any other such weapon.

(b) This section shall not apply to any law enforcement official in the performance of his or her official duties or to any person defending himself or herself or his or her property.
(Code 1968, § 703.6; Ord. No. 155-72, 5-15-72)

So, does this mean if I am walking down the road, and they stop and search me and find my legal CCW at night, that unless I am using it in self defense I will get pinched? I just dont get this one.

testosterone
July 23, 2009, 03:20 PM
Do MA and NJ have some insane wording that makes high capacity magazines "the gun"?

Speedo66
July 23, 2009, 05:59 PM
Two bizarre ones in NYS

Leaning a loaded long gun against a vehicle is the same as having a loaded long gun in the vehicle, against the law.

Possessing a magazine manufactured after 1994 that holds more than 10 rounds is a felony. Just the magazine by itself. No gun or ammo required.

divemedic
July 23, 2009, 08:08 PM
How about this one:

At one point, if you were convicted in another country of a crime punishable by more than a year in prison, you are ineligible to own a firearm in the US. Since some countries make it a felony to be a Christian or for a woman to speak to a man that she is not related to, you could lose your 2A rights to firearms based upon a law that violates your 1A rights. Small v United States in 2005 corrected this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_v._United_States), even though this law professor (http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-16376433_ITM)seems to think that an interpretation of foreign felonies making you ineligible to own firearms makes sense.

Shortly after Smalls, Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY) introduced legislation to amend 18 USC 922, to prevent individuals convicted of felonies in foreign countries from purchasing firearms in the U.S. McCarthy’s bill amends current law to state that a person “convicted in any court, including any foreign court, of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year” shall not be able to possess a firearm.

“We cannot allow convicted drug dealers, murderers, rapists, and even terrorists to purchase guns just because their crimes occurred in another country,” said McCarthy.

She is still attempting to make this into law (http://carolynmccarthy.house.gov/index.cfm?sectionid=253&sectiontree=18,253).

brboyer
July 23, 2009, 08:21 PM

brboyer
July 23, 2009, 08:31 PM
In Missouri I can keep a loaded pistol readily accessible in my vehicle without a CCW. Same thing in Arkansas.

But if I cross the border with a readily accessible loaded pistol under federal law I am in violation.

So theoretically I must stop before crossing the border, unload, place the pistol in a lock box, cross the border, stop again, and then I can take the pistol out of the lock box and reload.

You might say that is crossing the line.

HUH!?! What are you talking about!?

divemedic
July 23, 2009, 08:46 PM
No kidding, I missed that. Where did you get THAT idea?

KenWP
July 23, 2009, 08:54 PM
I would say almost any gun law in Canada is pretty stupid. There are so many it's not funny. They almost had it so you could not buy ammo that you never owned a gun for but they couldn't figure out how to make it work. The fact we have to have a permit to buy ammo period sucks big time also. Certain people not mentioning anybody made sure they stocked up before it became law just in case it took a while to get the permit. Fact that we can only fire a handgun on a handgun range is pretty dumb also.

Gadget
July 23, 2009, 09:31 PM
New Mexico
Can't carry a concealed handgun on a snowmobile. I get a laugh every time I read this one.l

Deltaboy
July 23, 2009, 09:45 PM
The 1934 Gun Control Act.

pbearperry
July 23, 2009, 09:54 PM
In Massachusetts,mace and pepper spray are considered ammunition so you need a permit to buy and carry on your person.

KenWP
July 23, 2009, 10:12 PM
In Canada we can only have pepper spray that has a bear or a dog on the label. It's considered a dangerous weapon if it has a picture of a person on it. They confiscate it at the border all the time becasue of that. For some reason people don't spray humans with bear pepper spray.

BTR
July 24, 2009, 10:28 AM
KenWP, is it legal to spray folks with bear spray in self defense?

meytind
July 24, 2009, 10:45 AM
I'm going to go with the 1934 gun control act for the reasons stated on page one.

Fetus
July 24, 2009, 10:46 AM
the New Jersey hollow point bullet law .

ChuckH
July 24, 2009, 10:47 AM
NYC - It is illegal to CCW in the city even though you have a New York state LTC. You have to have a NYC LTC. I love that.

If you enjoyed reading about "Name the most asinine firearms law you can think of" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!