back-up carry (ankle)

PDA

mikeb3185
July 21, 2009, 07:45 PM
I am a LEO and wish to carry a second weapon (g27) while on duty. i was looking into ankle carry, the G&G bootlock is a possiblity, in my search i also saw a few others make a "boot extensiion".

my dept requires a thumb break for ankle carry, my only requirement is that the weapon stays secure during normal activity and especially foot chases.

any other suggestions are welcomed

thanks in advance

If you enjoyed reading about "back-up carry (ankle)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kanewpadle
July 21, 2009, 09:10 PM
I have heard that G&G is the best. But I have never used one.

Why ankle carry? I'm not a cop but I think I would rather carry a BUG closer to my off hand where I could reach it without doing anything "special" like bending over. If you become the victim of a gun grab or the bad guy is on top of you it sure would be easier to put a BUG in play if it was withing easy reach of the unoccupied hand. And while the G27 in a good choice, what about a light weight revolver? At bad breath range an auto may not be in battery if placed against the bad guy's body to hard. A revolver won't do that.

Just wondering mind you. At least you can and do carry a BUG. Too many cops don't.

mikeb3185
July 21, 2009, 09:44 PM
ankle carry offers me the conceilability i am looking for, im open for other suggestions however. i have seen other officers carry OWB with duty belt over it- looks awkward cant get to with weak hand. i have 5.11 pants with bbs but would be limited to one side and not how supportive would be during a run

as far as the g27 over my 642, i carry a g22 as primary duty so i can use my duty mags if needed.

kanewpadle
July 21, 2009, 10:21 PM
ankle carry offers me the conceilability i am looking for, im open for other suggestions however. i have seen other officers carry OWB with duty belt over it- looks awkward cant get to with weak hand. i have 5.11 pants with bbs but would be limited to one side and not how supportive would be during a run

as far as the g27 over my 642, i carry a g22 as primary duty so i can use my duty mags if needed.
I have talked to local coppers who wear some sort of vest with chest pockets which use velcro. Pockets are big enough to put a G27 or similar gun. I understand the magazine interchangeability. There's always a trade off.

ar10
July 21, 2009, 11:22 PM
I've never tried one but I have talked to a lot of LEO's that did, most of it was not very good especially when they're running. I think you need some sort of garter on the upper calf to keep it from ending up in your shoe.

mvl
July 22, 2009, 03:32 AM
I ankle carry a g26 in a galco, which i find is the most comfortable. I also have the uncle mikes which i believe is the most secure especially when it comes to foot chases. My primary is a g17.

JKeefer
July 22, 2009, 06:49 AM
Mike;

I just retired after 30 years. I carried a Model 60 as back up in a modified Uncle Mikes ankle holster every single day of those 30 years.
I removed the thumb break and replaced it with a heavy duty velcro strap..
We did a lot of rough and tumble arrests and I feared the thumb break would some how take a "wack" and cause an insecure situation.. It never came loose..
Ignore the purists, and just make sure you have a back up with you 24-7..

Good luck out there

Jerry

mikeb3185
July 25, 2009, 07:02 AM
while i appreciate all the comments, it looks like it was all for nil. just found out ankle holsters are no longer "authorized". too many used the open top style:banghead::confused:

i think ill look into either a holster that goes on my vest in some way or a shoulder rig

thanks again

WC145
July 25, 2009, 06:20 PM
I wear 5.11 TDU pants on duty. The cargo pockets haave two pockets sewn inside, I carry my BUG, a jframe, in my off side cargo pocket inner pocket. It's handy, secure, and fast. Works for me.

clemsonu0219
July 25, 2009, 06:37 PM
I would most definitely look into a vest/chest pocket.

EOD Guy in VA
July 25, 2009, 09:23 PM
I don't recommend ankle carry.
1) It's hard to access.
2) You have to put yourself in a vulnerable unstable position to get to it.

A second IWB or pocket carry is a much better way to go in every respect.

hardluk1
July 26, 2009, 12:12 PM
mikeb3185 take a look at (10-24 products ) They have a vest holster that might be what you need ..

If you enjoyed reading about "back-up carry (ankle)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!