Oh holy cow I just did the dumbest thing I've ever done.

PDA

stevekl
July 21, 2009, 11:06 PM
A few days ago I ordered a Lee bullet mold from midwayusa. I haven't gotten it yet but it has shipped, according to their website.

So tonight, I am literally talking 15 minutes ago, I was organizing my shooting stuff.

And guess what I found.

I ALREADY ORDERED THIS DAMN THING AND RECEIVED IT BACK IN NOVEMBER

I just totally forgot I already owned it.

Good lord. I'm 24. My brain shouldn't be making these mistakes. Do I have a tumor or something?

Someone please please please tell me you've done the same thing so I feel a little bit less stupid.

(I sent an email to midway, I told them that I am going to return it, but I am going to pay, and I do NOT want them to refund me the shipping cost.)

If you enjoyed reading about "Oh holy cow I just did the dumbest thing I've ever done." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Lonestar49
July 21, 2009, 11:10 PM

Share some of the_kind with the rest of us.. :D

Ls

Hammerhead6814
July 21, 2009, 11:11 PM
Wait. So you have one set of dies, and now you have two.

What's the mistake again?

possom813
July 21, 2009, 11:12 PM
What mold is it?

Dr. Fresh
July 21, 2009, 11:12 PM
Just keep it. Nice to have spares.

Tommygunn
July 21, 2009, 11:16 PM
I've done these sorts of things .......
The one time it really irritated me was once when I bought a book. Until I really looked at it I didn't realize I'd read it before -- because the &%^%^$$% publishers had retitled a book I'd already read!!!

I've also .... somehow ... :o .... wound up with more than one copy of a DVD.
Don't know how THAT worked ....

Look at it this way; most threads titled like this usually are about accidental discharges.

You didn't shoot anything! ;)

WNC Seabee
July 21, 2009, 11:17 PM
I can do better than that.

I was browsing at Barnes & Noble a while back and picked up a book. Got home and found another copy of it already on the shelf. What book was it?......

Money Management for Dummies.

:banghead:

stevekl
July 21, 2009, 11:23 PM
Some more details:

the mold I ordered a thousand months ago was a Lee aluminum mold.

The one I ordered a few days ago was a Lyman steel mold, at three times the price.

You know, I am actually...kinda sorta considering keeping it, just because I have never used a steel mold (I have only ever used lee aluminum molds) and I guess I could think of it as a learning experience.

I dunno. Keep in mind I just found out about this mistake like...20 minutes ago. I haven't decided what I want to do.

Edit: More details
The mold I have is a 200 grain .309 from lee.
The mold I ordered is a 210 grain .311 from Lyman.

July 21, 2009, 11:29 PM
I have done it a couple of times with Books and magazines. I just give the extra copy to my buddies with the same interest. Mostly gun related periodicals (Too keep it on topic of course!)

2RCO
July 21, 2009, 11:30 PM
Don't feel bad we all do stupid things like this. I caught myself at the checkout the other day with a DVD I'd already bought but never watched. I've also bought a gun that I once bought a Ruger MKII because I thought I needed one. I put it in the safe next to another MKII that I'd got in a deal that I'd forgot about. __On the bright side one is stainless and one blue so no biggie.

I came across a 10ga today cleaning the safe that I'd completely forgot about. I have quite a few guns and sometimes it's hard to keep track. I do keep a log of what I own but I don't always check it before I buy something.

catspa
July 21, 2009, 11:31 PM
Dude, it means you're getting old. Some people get old late in their lives, when they're too sick and feeble to enjoy it. But you, you're getting a head start on being old. Just think how practiced you'll be by the time you're almost 50, like me.

Parker

ants
July 21, 2009, 11:33 PM
Many highly experienced casters run two sets of molds, filling each alternately while the other cools.

Letting a mold cool a bit (while you fill the other) helps keep the mold temperature from getting too high. It also assures that you won't drop the bullets while they are too soft, which causes them to be out-of-round. By alternating molds you can cast a lot more bullets in the same period of time, producing more consistent bullets.

stevekl
July 21, 2009, 11:40 PM
Ants: another reason to keep it.

Aw hell I'll just keep it. No reason to go through the trouble.

Also, the bright side: I don't have to wait until I get the mold to cast 200 grain bullets.

Hardtarget
July 21, 2009, 11:52 PM
I know how you feel. Last week I bought some ammo. When I got home, I saw I already had the same stuff! And a pistol in the same caliber!...oh wait...thats a good thing, isn't it? :evil::D

just funnin! I have done this with C.D.'s and even a shirt once. That felt weird. I must have really liked that shirt...'cause I don't buy a lot of clothes.

So far, I've not done this with shooting hardware...yet. You've got me there. You did list a slight difference in weight and diameter of mold...maybe you should keep both. Your gun may like one over the other.

Now, take a deep breath and calm down. It really isn't all that bad. At least you found the first one too. Look at it like this. You've got an early start on Christmas shopping.

Mark

chevyforlife21
July 21, 2009, 11:57 PM
wow hahhahahahah

DoubleTapDrew
July 22, 2009, 12:26 AM
the mold I ordered a thousand months ago was a Lee aluminum mold.

The one I ordered a few days ago was a Lyman steel mold, at three times the price.

You know, I am actually...kinda sorta considering keeping it, just because I have never used a steel mold (I have only ever used lee aluminum molds) and I guess I could think of it as a learning experience.

I dunno. Keep in mind I just found out about this mistake like...20 minutes ago. I haven't decided what I want to do.

Edit: More details
The mold I have is a 200 grain .309 from lee.
The mold I ordered is a 210 grain .311 from Lyman.
Bingo! You didn't order something you already have...you upgraded!
I've done it too. At least with shooting accessories you don't mind having more than one for most things.
Mom used to kid me and my dad that we have so many duplicates because if we have to spend more than 5 minutes looking for something we just get frustrated and buy another one. Just think...now you won't have to say "I need to find THE bullet mold", you can say "I need to find A bullet mold" :p

PT1911
July 22, 2009, 12:35 AM
not sure why you would pay for it but not keep it... hell.... use it as a spare or sell it... no reason to pay for somthing you arent receiving....

makes 0 sense to me...

flipajig
July 22, 2009, 12:36 AM
sounds like to me is a case of CRS...(cant remember s**t)

rgwalt
July 22, 2009, 12:55 AM
I do this all the time with music (CDs) and occassionally with video games. I have a pretty sizable collection of each. It happens... I have gotten in the habit of saving the receipt just in case.

Dr.Rob
July 22, 2009, 02:08 AM
I ended up with 2 sets of loading dies for the same caliber because both were on sale. Go figure.

inSight-NEO
July 22, 2009, 02:16 AM
Well...I have never ordered the same thing twice by accident (that I can think of), but I have wasted hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars on crap I either no longer own or never use anymore. Does that count? :)

jmabbott888@aol.com
July 22, 2009, 02:26 AM
Does this count... I misplaced a Lyman 257312 double cavity mould, found a Lyman 257418 mould on Ebay & while it was in the last 10 minutes found a single cavity Lyman 257312 mould & bid on it. I won both auctions so I got both moulds then a week after the new moulds arrived I found the original mould I had misplaced.

Oyeboten
July 22, 2009, 02:44 AM
Oh yeah....anyone who 'does' anything, sooner or later, a little over-tired or under-fed, does these kinds of things...

The only people who don't, are in comas...

Lol...

Yosemite Sam
July 22, 2009, 03:42 AM
Good lord. I'm 24. My brain shouldn't be making these mistakes. Do I have a tumor or something?

IT'S NOT A TU-MAH!

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h8/mrjickles/THR/KindergardenCop16.jpg

- Detective John Kimble, Kindergarten Cop

BHP FAN
July 22, 2009, 04:31 AM
So you have a .309,and a .311? Steel and aluminum? Keep both..311 ,.309 for .308's,.311 for 7.62x 54r....

TOTC
July 22, 2009, 07:12 AM
Now you can be twice as ready for that level four zombie outbreak :D

KenWP
July 22, 2009, 07:36 AM
You will find the steel molds take longer to heat up but stay hot longer so the lead fills the mold better. From my experience. And Lyman molds are a little better made. Just my 2 cents. I might have two or four of a few things hanging around also. I tend to do it with scopes as I forget what I have already. And I found 3 rifles under a matteress that I had forgot to register as I forgot I owened them so can never sell again now.

CoRoMo
July 22, 2009, 09:08 AM
If that's the dumbest thing you've ever done... well... you're not getting outdoors much are you?

Those of us who cast our own bullets have multiple molds for each caliber we cast. It only makes sense.

I can top that by light years, but I'm too ashamed to post it on a public forum.

DHJenkins
July 22, 2009, 09:09 AM
When I was a mechanic, I'd go through catalogs and think "wow, I really want one of those". Inevitably a few days later I'd open up a drawer in one of my carts and realize I had at least 1, if not 2 of the same thing I was just drooling over earlier - and I was about your age (it wasn't that long ago).

BettyFM
July 22, 2009, 09:55 AM
That's something like how I ended up owning four PPKs over a period of 15 years --- age has nothing to do with it.

Blackbeard
July 22, 2009, 10:48 AM
Just be glad that the dumbest thing you've ever done only cost you some money instead of body parts.

lions
July 22, 2009, 12:05 PM
If that is the dumbest thing you have ever done I think you're doing alright!

Tracker Jim
July 22, 2009, 12:33 PM
Don't feel bad, i'm 61 and have had these things happen since i was 20!!

FlyinBryan
July 22, 2009, 12:50 PM
i wish that was the dumbest thing ive ever done!!!!

doubleh
July 22, 2009, 01:25 PM
That's not bad at all. I hate to tell you but it just gets worse as you age.

I would keep the mold. You might find you like it better than the Lee.

Claude Clay
July 22, 2009, 03:38 PM
a super clean of the 'work' area each time i change the clocks helps me to discover duplicates. this is helping my kid greatly for when she goes out on her own.

Evil Monkey
July 22, 2009, 03:47 PM
I can do better than that.

I was browsing at Barnes & Noble a while back and picked up a book. Got home and found another copy of it already on the shelf. What book was it?......

Money Management for Dummies.

:D That damn near killed me.

Jubjub
July 22, 2009, 05:41 PM
A few years ago, I took my Ruger MKII apart to put in an aftermarket sear. I was quite careful during disassembly, working inside a large clear plastic bag so nothing would get away from me. The parts then went into a plastic bin with a lid. When I went to reassemble the gun, I was missing the pin that the sear spring presses against. I looked and looked, and finally ordered a replacement. When it arrived, I reassembled the gun, everything worked fine, and I had one pin left over in the parts bin.

I've done the book thing more than once, bought a book, taken it home, started reading, realized that I already owned it.

SaxonPig
July 22, 2009, 05:59 PM
Phffeeeet!

If THAT'S the dumbest thing you've ever done then you have led a charmed life.

I've had 23 broken bones.

Been fired from a job five times.

Had an absolutely DISASTROUS relationship with the daughter of Satan (at least that what she seemed like).

Rookie...

BullfrogKen
July 22, 2009, 06:24 PM
Keep the mold.

Lee's aluminum molds are a good value, but they have a short life - relative to a steel mold, anyway. That aluminum mold will eventually wear out. The steel one never will.

1KPerDay
July 22, 2009, 06:27 PM
That's the dumbest thing you've ever done?? Consider yourself lucky. :D

Here are just a couple on my list:
1. Tried to clean the cosmoline out of my Ishy Enfield using liquid polyurethane rather than mineral spirits
2. ripped the fuel door off of my car with a surveyor's stake because I was moving the release lever the wrong way
3. set off a pound of black powder in my garage with a match (I was young)
4. went to grad school and spent $80,000 to get a degree in film studies
5. once I ate at McDonald's
6. etc.

jad0110
July 22, 2009, 06:36 PM
I've also bought a gun that I once bought a Ruger MKII because I thought I needed one. I put it in the safe next to another MKII that I'd got in a deal that I'd forgot about ... I came across a 10ga today cleaning the safe that I'd completely forgot about. I have quite a few guns and sometimes it's hard to keep track. I do keep a log of what I own but I don't always check it before I buy something.

Good gawd, I wish I had this problem! :p

I know a guy like that. I gave him an Excel spreadsheet that I use as a gun log. He told me a few weeks later that it worked really well, he listed all 36 of his guns on it. Then he told me a few days later that correction, he found 4 more. Then later, 3 more. Then, he said he found 7 more in a closet he had forgotten about!

Musta been like easter, except with 1898 Mausers and Walther P38s!

armedandsafe
July 23, 2009, 12:38 PM
Hey, I'm 70 and don't have that problem. Why, once I ....errr what are we talking about?

:D

Pops

mgkdrgn
July 23, 2009, 06:49 PM
Good lord. I'm 24.

Then have no fear, you'll have plenty of time to do something even more stupid!

And ... you'll learn that what you got wasn't an "extra" mold ... it was a "spare"!

Radagast
July 23, 2009, 07:06 PM
When standard capacity mags were banned here in Australia I bought 5 new ten round Beretta mags, but they were hard to load. So I tossed them in a box and had a gunsmith pin 4 standard mags to 10 rounds. Then I found out that some states I visit would not allow pinned mags. So I bought 5 ten round mags. Then I found the original 5. So now I have 15 mags. At least I don't have to reload mags at most competitions.

Officers'Wife
July 23, 2009, 08:52 PM
It's called having a spare! Stuff happens and you are now prepared.

Count your blessings, I was given a Colt Commander in 38 Super and foolishly had it converted to 9mm. Now I can't get it away from my husband. :(

Nasty Ned
July 23, 2009, 08:53 PM
I just don't understand anyone making an error. I've never made one myswelf.

Seriously, keep your new mold and try it out. It is a good learning experience, and join the club pal. There's a lot of us out here................

HB
July 23, 2009, 09:48 PM
If that is the dumbest thing you've ever done, you are a smart man. Now you got a spare...

pbearperry
July 23, 2009, 09:51 PM
Remember this lesson if you ever feel like getting married a second time.

2nd 41
July 23, 2009, 10:01 PM
I screwed up a few times. Have Sig 380 and bought another one. Have a 1911 and bought 2 more.

bootless
July 24, 2009, 04:47 AM
Don't worry. Keep it. I agree with alternating to let the other cool down more. Oh I was on my cell phone yesterday with my girl friend, she could tell I was doing something else so she asked what I was doing. My cell phone was missing and I was looking for it. We all have our moments

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 24, 2009, 09:58 AM
Well, I didn't start doing that kind of stuff until 36, so you're a little young for early-onset Alzheimers. Guess you better start eating more brain food - fish and such.

mercedesrules
July 24, 2009, 11:12 AM
Build a metal barn. Then you can say that your accidental second purchases are "for the barn". :)

Items "for the barn": metric socket set, metric allen set, battery charger, Rolling Stones live CD, "Learn karate" video, fire ant poison, motor oil, bug spray, etc.

KarenTOC
July 24, 2009, 01:37 PM
I don't forget about my stuff; I misplace it. The only way I can ever find it again is to buy a replacement. Then, magically, the original turns up - right after I discard the receipt for the replacement.

fireflyfather
July 25, 2009, 03:40 AM
keep the .311 for any of the following: .303, 7.7mm Jap, 7.62x54R, or size them down to .309 (no big deal). You could always beagle the .311 out to be a little bit bigger too, to make it perfect for a worn barrel or an out of spec barrel with softer alloy.

natman
July 25, 2009, 04:18 AM
I've always thought it would be really neat to have a Savage 24 combination gun in 22 Mag/20 ga. I found one last year, a bit rough but cheap, so I bought it and spent months finding the correct parts to restore it. I finally got it all together and put it in the safe.

I recently did a complete inventory / cleaning / oiling and found that I already had not one, but two other Savage 24 22 Mag/20 gauges. A search through the records showed that I bought the first one 18 years ago and the second 8 years later.

The bright side is that I kept the best one and sold the other two at a profit. Yeah, that's why I bought three of the same gun, as an investment. :rolleyes:

woodybrighton
July 25, 2009, 07:13 AM
not dumb reporting you have lost a pistol thats in a shoulder holster your wearing thats dumb:banghead:
spending the next hour being pushed up the chain of command just to see how far the joke could go :uhoh:]
I was very tired:mad:

natman
July 25, 2009, 11:23 AM
The OP's experience illustrates Natman's rule of gun parts:

If you can't find a part you know you bought, buy another. The original will show up soon thereafter.

If it still doesn't show up, sell the gun the part is for. That always brings the parts out of the woodwork.

Claude Clay
July 25, 2009, 12:15 PM
woodybrighton for the thread winner

and nomination into the hall of flame

......did you ever find your sunglasses?

If you enjoyed reading about "Oh holy cow I just did the dumbest thing I've ever done." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!