Handgun Transfer to California?

PDA

Yoda
July 22, 2009, 11:33 AM
I'm traveling through California, and I'd like to leave a revolver with my brother. As I understand California laws, I have to take the gun to an FFL and make the transfer through him. Anything else I should do?

- - - Yoda

If you enjoyed reading about "Handgun Transfer to California?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
esq_stu
July 22, 2009, 11:36 AM
Make sure the gun is on the AG's approved list or the FFL won't be able to make the transfer. See: http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/;

I think there's a 10 day waiting period for a firearm purchase.

KegCommando
July 22, 2009, 05:02 PM
FYI

If the handgun is not on the certified roster, *BUT* one of your natural parents is also in CA, then you can "gift" the handgun to them. That is exempt from the roster.

Once it is legally in CA, then your parent can give/sell it through an FFL to your brother without issue.

CWL
July 22, 2009, 06:05 PM
Off list guns can be transferred if it is a Private Party Transfer. It is considered a used firearm and exempt. There is quite a bit of transferring off-list firearms in CA.

Only banned guns cannot be transferred, sold, gifted, etc.

Librarian
July 22, 2009, 07:35 PM
Off list guns can be transferred if it is a Private Party Transfer. It is considered a used firearm and exempt. There is quite a bit of transferring off-list firearms in CA.
But Florida to California is not a CA PPT - it's an interstate transfer.

CA PPT is implemented (not required by Penal Code, but implemented in the computer application Dealer's Record Of Sale - DROS- system) to accept only CA identification for both buyer and seller.

Yes, this seems to be wrong. Yes, some competent people are Looking Into It, but it's a slow process with limited resources.

If you enjoyed reading about "Handgun Transfer to California?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!