CMP waiting period for Illinois resident?

PDA

shotgunjoel
July 22, 2009, 01:43 PM
So in the next week I'm going to be heading south to the CMP South Store. Since I'm an Illinois resident do I have to still wait for 24 hours after purchase before I can pick up my rifle? I'm really hoping that I don't have to because I just don't want to waste the time hanging around. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "CMP waiting period for Illinois resident?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nowhere Man
July 22, 2009, 02:11 PM
It is my understanding that you have the choice of walking out the door with it or, having it shipped to your home. No FFL required.

If you take it with you, you'll need to pay 6.5% sales tax. If you have it shipped you'll pay shipping only, no sales tax.

Dave

Nowhere Man
July 22, 2009, 02:12 PM
Whatcha gonna buy?????:D

Dave

shotgunjoel
July 22, 2009, 03:12 PM
Nowhere Man, I understand that, but with federal gun laws don't you have to follow your home state's laws? Wouldn't that mean that I'd have to wait until the next day to pick up my rifle? I'm hoping for a M1 Carbine.

Nowhere Man
July 22, 2009, 03:39 PM
I'm pretty sure CMP is exempt. That's why they can ship it to your door and avoid FFL's. I'm also sure someone will chime in and confirm this.

Nice choice.

Dave

shotgunjoel
July 22, 2009, 04:03 PM
That's what I was wondering about because I knew that they were exempt from that I didn't know if they were also exempt from waiting periods. But seriously, if you still need a day to "cool off" after you went through all the work to qualify for a CMP rifle, it's really not going to matter. I would just call them and ask, but their site says not to call, just email and I'd like an answer before I leave for there at the end of the week.

shotgunjoel
July 22, 2009, 04:04 PM
Also, how are they exempt? Is it because they are government chartered?

GRIZ22
July 22, 2009, 07:38 PM
Since I'm an Illinois resident do I have to still wait for 24 hours after purchase before I can pick up my rifle?

Illinois law only applies in Illinois. CMP operates under a Federal charter. The AL and OH state laws don't apply to the CMP stores. I believe Ohio says (or did say a few years ago) you have to live in a contiguos state to buy a long gun. Wal Mart wouldn't sell me a rifle (which was a very good deal) but I walked out of the CMP North Store with a Garand.

Boiler_81
July 22, 2009, 07:50 PM
Federal law does not limit you to contiguous states for long gun purchases. It is however Walmarts policy.

ServiceSoon
July 22, 2009, 08:05 PM
If you have it shipped you'll pay shipping only, no sales tax.Are you sure you aren't reporting that you didn't pay tax on an out of state purchase on your 1080 ;)

shotgunjoel
July 23, 2009, 12:19 AM
Since I'm an Illinois resident do I have to still wait for 24 hours after purchase before I can pick up my rifle?

Illinois law only applies in Illinois. CMP operates under a Federal charter. The AL and OH state laws don't apply to the CMP stores. I believe Ohio says (or did say a few years ago) you have to live in a contiguos state to buy a long gun. Wal Mart wouldn't sell me a rifle (which was a very good deal) but I walked out of the CMP North Store with a Garand.

You have to follow your home state's laws. This keeps people in California who have a 10 day wait from going to another state close by and getting a gun that day. It's dumb, but it was a loophole that they closed. I'm asking if because the CMP is federally chartered they can get around this.

krs
July 23, 2009, 11:14 AM
CMP is not "exempt". This right off of their site:

Be Legally Eligible to Purchase a Firearm:
The information you supply on your application will be submitted by the CMP to the FBI National Instant Criminal Check System (NICS) to verify you are not prohibited by Federal, State or Local law from acquiring or possessing a rifle. Your signature on the Purchaser Certification portion of the purchase application authorizes the CMP to initiate the NICS check and authorizes the FBI to inform CMP of the result. IMPORTANT: If your State or locality requires you to first obtain a license, permit, or Firearms Owner ID card in order to possess or receive a rifle, you must enclose a photocopy of your license, permit, or card with the application for purchase.

So, if a waiting period is ALL that your state requires for a long gun purchase you're probably OK.

They ship to your home, when they do, because they've already done the federally required NICS background check on the info you provided during the application. There's no need to notarize anything at the store because they'll identify you and watch you sign papers right there.

And don't forget all of this stuff:

You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your marksmanship related activity does not have to be with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles, pistols, air guns or shotguns. Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:

- Current or past military service.
- Current or past law enforcement service
- Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
- Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).
- Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.
- Concealed Carry License.
- Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training.
- FFL or C&R license.
- Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
- Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. A form for use in completing and certifying your range firing can be downloaded from the CMP web site at http://www.odcmp.com/forms/marksmanship.pdf

No proof of marksmanship required if over age 60. proof of club membership and citizenship required for all ages.
NOTE: Proof of marksmanship activity is not required for purchase of ammunition, parts, publications or memorabilia.

Birdmang
July 23, 2009, 11:15 AM
What is CMP?

seanie!
July 23, 2009, 12:29 PM
The Civilian Marksmanship Program.

krs
July 23, 2009, 12:56 PM
birdmang:"What is CMP?"

You funny.

If you enjoyed reading about "CMP waiting period for Illinois resident?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!