Bringing guns into Chicago/Cook County?

PDA

PILMAN
July 22, 2009, 05:53 PM
I'm visiting Chicago to see some friends, they wanted to know if I can bring the guns and show them how to shoot. I lived in IL for 17 years and I know that the laws are pretty strict, grew up in Cook County. My dad even lost his guns because they removed his FOID card.

I've called a few police departments and various answers.

Chicago Police Department says "your not allowed to bring or buy guns there period!" and I asked for a citation of the law, I received a rude response saying to "Look it up!" *click*

Cook County wasn't positive on the laws for someone out of town but said to call the state police.

State police said first that you can't bring any guns into the state at all without a FOID card, then I quoted a source that stated that one may bring weapons into the state without a FOID card as long as they are not a resident of the state. The lady said if it was dismantled and locked away, I could bring it to the state without a FOID card but that Chicago had separate laws.

All in all, is there ANY legal loophole to purchase a weapon living in Chicago? How does their registration system work anyways?

If you enjoyed reading about "Bringing guns into Chicago/Cook County?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Eightball
July 22, 2009, 06:07 PM
All in all, is there ANY legal loophole to purchase a weapon living in Chicago? How does their registration system work anyways?

Purchasing and "Bringing" are two different things entirely.

Trebor
July 22, 2009, 06:41 PM
I would not bring any handguns into Chicago as they are prohibited there.

I don't know about long guns. You should be able to find info on-line somewhere.

chibiker
July 23, 2009, 01:57 AM
You just can't do it, bring handguns into the city I mean, and be and stay legal. If you're not worried about the legal aspect then by all means, bring 'em all. Don't take it the wrong way... Not trying to give you a hard time but Chicago has a ban on handguns, period.
Now if you are staying in a suburban home or hotel (as long as it's not Oak Park) that could work. Keep your firearms there, have friends drive to you and then you all go from there to shooting range. Do they have FOID cards? Some ranges require all shooters to have said cards...some will allow "guests" if one of the shooters has a card, even that varies by range. All in all it is best to just not do any of it.... there are a few, a very, very, very few ways it all could be done legally but there is a million ways to get busted.

I have taken tons of friends even my bosses shooting over the years and they are always amazed, for lack of a better word, on all I have to do to keep it all legal. My Brother-in-law is a Broward County sheriff's deputy who visits here often, sans firearm as it is too much of a hassle even for him. He's visited a couple of the area ranges with me before. Jumps in the car with me, off to my Aunt's home in the 'burbs, pick up guns and ammo, circumnavigate city limits for trip to the range and reverse the whole procedure when done.... funny, I have a cop riding in the car with me and I still have to worry about doing everything just right. He just shakes his head and asks when am I going to move out of here.... same question I ask myself more and more these days.

Oh and by the way... purchasing a handgun and registering it in the city is not going to happen unless you are related or work for the King himself. No registrations allowed after 1982 or whenever the ban went into effect. Long guns can't be bought in the city either, suburban shops yes, but you have to have it registered before taking possesion of it and bringing it into the city. It's a process, there are time limits for permits to be issued but that means nothing and it is all up to the discretion of the police superintendent or the King himself. I recently inherited a 12 gauge WWII trench gun from an Uncle that passed. I went through the registration process and was denied. Seems because of the model type, war time shotgun, it was deemed not suitable for any legal purposes, I kid you not.

Deanimator
July 23, 2009, 08:12 AM
1. Don't go to Chicago AT ALL if you can avoid it.

2. Don't bring a gun to Chicago, particularly a handgun.

3. Don't bring a gun to Illinois. If you have to drive through with a gun, don't spend any money and get out fast.

4. Don't go to Illinois if you can help it.

Old Fuff
July 23, 2009, 09:37 AM
Of course you can have handguns in Chicago... :what:

1. Get elected to the City Council.

2. Or the Cook County Board.

3. Or join a criminal gang.

But I'm repeating myself... :banghead: :rolleyes:

Birdmang
July 23, 2009, 11:36 AM
You can drive through Illinois with all firearms in a case and unloaded in the trunk. Don't bring a pistol into Chicago, its not worth it.

I go to Chicago a lot but never bring firearms and for the purpose of my trip have no reason to.

sniper5
July 23, 2009, 12:05 PM
I wouldn't go to Chicago. If someone put a gun to my head and said I HAVE to go, I wouldn't bring so much as a pair of nail clippers or an empty shell casing with me. I live in ************ and the legal and political climate of the place gives me the creeps.

Deanimator
July 23, 2009, 12:11 PM
You can drive through Illinois, except Chicago, with all firearms in a case and unloaded in the trunk.
Federal law says you can drive through Chicago if it's in the course of interstate travel under the provisions of FOPA. They can falsely arrest you, but it'll cost them in the end.

Better just to avoid Illinois entirely.

LWYM425
July 23, 2009, 12:22 PM
Oh come on, Chicago is a great city. I've been all over it at all times of the day/night and never felt the need for a handgun... except once, but i clearly was not where i belonged... i was monitoring a demo site where they were taking down some of the infamous high rise buildings (ever see history channel's "Gangland" on chicago? That was long ago, but the landmarks are there) in the south and west side. If you stay in the Loop or better yet between the two ball parks, you'll feel pretty safe now days.

Now that I got that out I'll share the info I recieved.

My e-mail:
I will be traveling to Columbus, OH, for a wedding in September. My trip will include flying into Midway Airport then driving through Indiana. I have a valid concealed pistol license that will be honored in Indiana and Ohio, but not Illinois. I would like to remain in compliance with all state and local laws during my trip. What advice can you give me to do this? During my drive to Columbus I plan on keeping my firearm in the trunk of the vehicle locked in its case. I plan on taking a registered 4" (insert your semi auto pistol make and model here) with at least one 12 round magazine.

Thank you,

The Chicago Police:
We can only advise you as to what Chicago law requires, which is that you have your weapon in a disassembled and non-functioning state while transporting it in your vehicle.

(webcrew@chicagopolice.org)
Chicago Police Department

Also check with the airline if you are flying in... If its southwest here you go:
http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/guns.html

Hope that helps! Don't forget to grab some giordano's and a couple dogs at portillos!

G19x
July 23, 2009, 12:34 PM
" I've been all over it at all times of the day/night and never felt the need for a handgun.." You've failed to see the point of having a CCW and the training to back it up.
Unless I am failing to see your sarcasm.

Deanimator
July 23, 2009, 12:35 PM
Oh come on, Chicago is a great city.
So's Teheran.

Driving through Chicago in interstate travel or passing through the airports, you need only comply with the applicable portions of FOPA and or TSA regs.

If you're a non-criminal gun owner, Illinois and particularly Chicago, hate you. Don't give either any money.

Birdmang
July 23, 2009, 12:42 PM
I've been all over it at all times of the day/night and never felt the need for a handgun.." You've failed to see the point of having a CCW and the training to back it up.

There isn't one place or time in the City of Chicago where I have felt that I needed a gun. Never not once, and I have been in the city every Saturday on a bicycle with around 9-15 friends riding bmx ALL OVER the city, north, south, west sides.

I don't know what some of you are so scared of.

Deanimator
July 23, 2009, 12:53 PM
I don't know what some of you are so scared of.
I'm betting that if I'm in my old neighborhood at 69th and Indiana Ave., at 10:00pm, you wouldn't be anywhere to be found, for ANY price.

There are weekends when Chicago is more dangerous than Baghdad. It's just shootings instead of bombings.

I don't go anywhere in Chicago where I DON'T wish I had a gun.

Deltaboy
July 23, 2009, 12:54 PM
It is so sad that the Fed has allowed ILL and the city of Chicago to gut the Constitution like that.

Birdmang
July 23, 2009, 12:54 PM
If that is how you honestly think then I am sorry that you are living in fear. That is crazy and unhealthy.^^

Deanimator
July 23, 2009, 12:56 PM
If that is how you honestly think then I am sorry that you are living in fear.
I'm not sorry you're living in denial. It isn't my problem and won't get ME killed.

LWYM425
July 23, 2009, 01:27 PM
It seems I've started something there... sorry for that. I think we would choose the option to carry legally no matter where we go. Its just tough (and makes your brain hurt to think about) when carrying isn't legal.

Before this thread gets completely jacked, PILMAN what else were you looking for? Deanimator threw out some fed laws, I gave what (little) I got from the PD- does anyone have any personal experience? Dare I ask if there are any CPD officers out there that could set this straight in a hurry?

seanie!
July 23, 2009, 01:34 PM
I used to live on 51st and Spaulding and I really think a lot of you are overreacting. It was a terrible area, especially as one of the only white guys around, but I never felt the need for a gun. With that said, I'm glad I'm getting out of IL just for the hassle of the gun laws.

Deanimator
July 23, 2009, 01:43 PM
I used to live on 51st and Spaulding and I really think a lot of you are overreacting. It was a terrible area, especially as one of the only white guys around, but I never felt the need for a gun. With that said, I'm glad I'm getting out of IL just for the hassle of the gun laws.
I'm Black and lived at:

69th and Indiana
84th and Loomis
78th and Honore

There's NO place I feel comfortable there without a gun.

The paradox of Chicago is that people vocally support the handgun ban and blithely ignore it. And when they're arrested for violating the laws they support, they're baffled by the "injustice" of it all. They're the gun control version of Roy Cohn. Guns need to be banned... except THEIRS.

LWYM425
July 23, 2009, 01:48 PM
PILMAN,
I emailed the CPD again, we'll see if I can get anymore info as I am curious as well. However it took a few days last time...

While we wait: http://www.chicagopolice.org/contact.asp
"Anti-Gun Enforcement
Telephone:
(877) CPD-GUNS"

How funny is that?!

G19x
July 23, 2009, 01:51 PM
I guess you simply don't understand the reason some people choose to prepare them selves. It doesn't matter if you feel secure and never felt the need.
Things happen everywhere.
This isn't living in fear, this is living prepared to take a fight back at a criminal is needed.

I've been downtown detroit for various reasons and never felt like I needed to draw but that just means I wasn't targeted for a mugging or other random act of violence.

So from two of the posters here I assume you don't think CCW is ever needed?

Z-Michigan
July 23, 2009, 01:52 PM
I lived in Chicago for 3 years, and have family there. My recommendation would to be simply avoid taking any guns into Cook County, much less Chicago, at all. It is possible to do it legally, if you believe the laws that are written on paper and theoretically enforced by courts of law. However, if you grew up in Chicago you should know that's not how much of "law enforcement" works there. Not to be crass but your luck will be better if you're white, look educated and well-off, and are driving a nice car (preferably not a pickup, and definitely no confederate flags). But any traffic stop within Cook County could go bad on you for no good reason, and within Chicago it would be almost certain to go badly. It would be much better if your friends could visit you in Florida for their intro to shooting.

G19x
July 23, 2009, 01:53 PM
"That is crazy and unhealthy.^^" Spoken like a true anti-gunner.

Deanimator
July 23, 2009, 02:09 PM
Not to be crass but your luck will be better if you're white, look educated and well-off, and are driving a nice car (preferably not a pickup, and definitely no confederate flags).
One of my lawschool classmates from DePaul did pro-bono defense work in Chicago (one of his clients was Danny Escobedo, who brought a gun to meetings). He said at the time (the late '80s, early '90s) that it was typical for Whites found in possession of firearms, and not obviously engaged in other criminal activity, to be released with their guns, and for Blacks to be arrested and charged. The only white faces you ever saw in "gun court" were the judges and bailiffs.

"Justice" in Cook County is utterly capricious. I certainly wouldn't trust my freedom to it enough to bring a gun there. I barely trust it enough to bring MYSELF there, once a year.

Rmeju
July 23, 2009, 02:27 PM
As one poster noted, what laws you are protected by at the federal level, and what the cops there will know/care about could be two completely different animals.

I have read all of Chicago's laws relating to guns, as I lived in the 'burbs and did (still do) travel there frequently.

1. No handguns unless you are a specifically priveliged class (licensed PI, cop, alderman, a few others).

2. No handgun ammunition, this includes .22 lr.

3. No weapons previously designated under the federal AWB, or really most firearms you couldn't pass off as a non-war antique or hunting gun.

4. Your registration paperwork, which must be with the gun at all times, or is subject to fine and confiscation.

If you think federal laws will protect you, I believe you need only travel with them unloaded in your trunk and use the most direct route to your destination without any unneccessary stops or detours. I wouldn't bet on that, having the life experience that I do, but I would be prepared for the police there not to know (or care) about the federal laws if I were you.

LWYM425
July 23, 2009, 03:00 PM
Record time for a response for the CPD!!!

and G19x, "So from two of the posters here I assume you don't think CCW is ever needed" Come on, man, of course i think its needed. I think you should carry everywhere/anywhere even the states with the least crime STILL HAVE CRIME. The discussion is about whether or not it is legal

So with no further adeu:

The following applies to the City of Chicago only and not to other jurisdictions in Cook County

Chicago Police Department

ARTICLE I. POSSESSION OF FIREARMS
8-20-010 Unlawful to carry – Exceptions.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry or maintain in any vehicle or about his or her person except when on his or her property or in his or her residence or fixed place of business, any rifle, shotgun, or other firearm; provided, that this section shall not apply to:

(10) Transportation of weapons broken down in a nonfunctioning state.

Z-Michigan
July 23, 2009, 04:15 PM
Darn. Now I'm going to have to take the quad-.50 mount off my truck before my next Giordano's run. BTW, Giordano's, Portillo's, and Chicago Chop House are pretty much my only reasons for setting foot in the city - and the first two I can find in some suburbs.

Just as an example of how laws work in Chicago, all of Lake Shore Drive is strictly "no trucks." While you might think this means no commercial trucks and/or no trucks requiring a CDL to drive, in fact it means no pickups of any kind, including personal use pickups. Enjoy! I lived in that city for almost three years, enjoyed, but left and never looked back.

stickhauler
July 23, 2009, 06:18 PM
Really? You must not go into areas trucks have to go to deliver loads, because I've seen some pretty frightening stuff go on in that city. And that's just in the places I'll go in broad daylight, there's plenty of places I won't go day or night.

PILMAN
July 24, 2009, 05:37 AM
ARTICLE I. POSSESSION OF FIREARMS
8-20-010 Unlawful to carry Exceptions.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry or maintain in any vehicle or about his or her person except when on his or her property or in his or her residence or fixed place of business, any rifle, shotgun, or other firearm; provided, that this section shall not apply to:

(10) Transportation of weapons broken down in a nonfunctioning state.

Does that mean I could legally bring a firearm to Chicago and keep it at a friends as long as it's broken down into nonfunctioning state in a locked case?

LWYM425
July 24, 2009, 09:59 AM
It would appear that you could bring it in and bring it out as long as it is broken down. Apparently you can drive around as long as it is broken down (it doesn't say here, but its probably a good idea to keep it in the trunk too). I also gather that the only way you can have it in a functional state is to be on your property. As far as pistols go.... it does say any other firearm...

Deanimator
July 24, 2009, 11:51 AM
As far as pistols go.... it does say any other firearm...
If I wanted to end up in jail in Chicago, the first thing I'd do is try to use common sense and interpret laws based on their facial readings...

XxWINxX94
July 24, 2009, 12:29 PM
I live in suburban Cook County. Chicago has its own seperate laws from Cook County. I've bought guns in Cook County, and had them shipped to an FFL in Cook County. I wouldn't recomend shooting anything there though, too many people could hear, and you wouldn't want that. Anyway, if your goin to Chicago, forget any guns. Your gonna be in huge trouble if they catch you with any, even if you have a FOID or are just driving through. Better off meetin at a suburban range or somthin.

Yosemite Sam
July 24, 2009, 01:54 PM
I might be going to Chicago soon to see friends as well. Can I carry a telescopic baton? I have this 26" that collapses to 10" and I can conceal it just fine. Also, what about knives (both folding and fixed blade)?

PILMAN
July 24, 2009, 02:45 PM
I talked to CPD, I actually got a pretty decent cop on the line, he even admitted the laws there are crap. He said that I can bring the weapon through Chicago but keep it hidden in the car and don't do anything stupid like going 90 mph.

I don't know if this means I can bring a handgun through or not, from my understanding, laws primarily cover "carrying" and possession for "residents". But does the technical definition of leaving the firearm in your car field stripped count as "transportation"? The laws are very confusing, I think I should consult my attorney.

MisterMike
July 24, 2009, 03:35 PM
Jeez, Pilman--Not to be rude, but I think you're ignoring the advice you asked for. I live in the 'burbs and carry as a retired LEO. Truthfully, most of the retired former Chicago cops I qualify with hate Chicago's gun laws and despise Mayor Daley. Having said that, why take the risk of getting yourself jacked up a thousand miles away from home?

There are plenty of gun shops with ranges that rent guns. Contact one of them and see if they will let you, a nonresident, rent a gun to show your buds how to shoot. You'll probably get a variety of answers, but will likely find one that will accommodate you.

By the way, as one contributor noted, much of Chicago is very safe. Not only that, it's a spectacular city with great restaurants and attractions. It's just most of the politicians that suck--greedy, corrupt, and more than willing to impose their will on a populace that never cries "foul."

PILMAN
July 24, 2009, 03:52 PM
Mike, I sent you a PM with the full extent of the story.

sarge83
July 24, 2009, 04:40 PM
This last weekend I had to travel to Rockford IL. My 13 yr. old son went with me. When we approached the Illinois state line I pulled off the interstate and unloaded and cased my two handguns and placed them in the trunk of the car. My son asks what gives, you always have a gun on you? I said you have to understand, Illinois is full of liberals and they are afraid anyone with a gun might hurt their criminal population. But Dad the criminals won't care about the law and will have a gun any way. You are right son, but liberals and democrats don't want to upset their supporters and voters.

PILMAN
July 24, 2009, 05:53 PM
I talked to the gun registry of Chicago as well as the legal affair.

They recognize traveling through the city of Chicago as a nonresident with a firearm as long as it is locked in a case out of reach in a disassembled state unloaded. The police department as well as the registry also confirmed that you can stay in the city as long as you are not a resident with the firearm disassembled in a case, that the law only affects residents but that carry of a assembled firearm would still be illegal.

It appears self defense laws are nonexistent and using a firearm in self defense would result in an arrest and processing due to the city laws.

I left a voice mail for the law office about using a firearm in self defense and if there are any exemptions.

Z-Michigan
July 24, 2009, 06:16 PM
I left a voice mail for the law office about using a firearm in self defense and if there are any exemptions.

Ha. I went to law school with some people who wound up in the City of Chicago's law department. I'll be very curious what kind of response you get. I'll be amazed if it's remotely positive.

PILMAN
July 24, 2009, 06:18 PM
I found more information. Apparently self defense in Chicago is legal although if the firearm is used, you will not get it back.

There is protection against prosecution for unlawful use of
a weapon or failure to register the weapon or possession of an illegal
(non-NFA) weapon due to the Hale De Mar act

Deanimator
July 24, 2009, 07:40 PM
I don't know if this means I can bring a handgun through or not
FEDERAL LAW guarantees your right to bring a handgun THROUGH Chicago in interstate travel. That's not optional for the city, nor can they impose ANY additional requirements. If you adhere strictly to the requirements of FOPA, anything they do to you in contravention of FOPA is both a crime and a civil tort.

danbrew
July 24, 2009, 09:14 PM
I'm an Illinois resident and live 50 miles west of Chicago in Kane County.

First and foremost, all those that are commenting that they live in Illinois and the laws are crap and the fact that you'll be hosed if caught with a gun in Cook County are 100% correct.

A friend was rear-ended on the Eisenhower Expressway last year and his trunk and rear tire was smashed, rendering his car non drivable. As they're loading his car onto the tow truck to take it away, he mentions in front of the cop, "Oh ****, I gotta get my gun out of the trunk." It was locked in a storage case exactly as state law requires. He made the mistake of telling the cop he had planned on going shooting after work at a range west of the city (outside of Cook County). He still doesn't have his gun back.

Second, planning on shooting anywhere in Cook County is a mistake. I don't know of a single gun range inside of Cook County (there may be some, but I just don't know - doubtful though). There are a handful of indoor ranges just outside of Cook County (Gat Guns in West Dundee and Megasports in Plainfield) and both can be downright stupid when it comes to folks wanting to shoot without a FOID card. Megasports 10x.

Third, it will be 10x more trouble than it's worth to try to find time to go shoot. Teach your pals to shoot when they visit you.

Fourth, I would never call the cops to ask for an interpretation of the law. Their job is to arrest you - not to help you understand the law. Call the District Attorney for Cook County if you really must know. Better yet, leave the gun at home. Or leave it in the trunk and don't show it to anybody. I'm not one to suggest not bringing it with you, but know if you get caught carrying in Cook County, you're hosed. If you get caught with one in your car, you're hosed. My pal did everything right (except for that part about talking in front of the cop about his gun) and he's out a gun.

FWIW, free internet advice.

:D

orionengnr
July 24, 2009, 09:57 PM
Gun World in Bensenville was my favorite indoor range when we lived there--we left in '04.
I just did a search and it appears as if Gun World was closed in '07 due to O'Hare airport expansion--maybe they re-opened elsewhere?

They used to rent pistols there--pretty good place.

I think i'd find a place that rents pistols and take my friends there, rather than tempt fate and Chicago law.

Deanimator
July 25, 2009, 11:18 AM
I think i'd find a place that rents pistols and take my friends there, rather than tempt fate and Chicago law.
Anybody without an Illinois FOID may not be able to rent a handgun, whether that's by state law or not. Daley has worked SO hard to close gun stores OUTSIDE of Chicago that some of them impose what would otherwise be ludicrous restrictions of their own. I went through this with my cousin who lives in Chicago. She (and my mother) would like for me to visit more often. I simply loathe the place, so they've tried to invent reasons for me to come, including shooting. I told them I probably wouldn't be allowed to TOUCH a gun without an FOID. It's still once a year, tops.

Autolycus
July 25, 2009, 08:15 PM
Just rent guns at the range.

DanielW
July 26, 2009, 03:16 AM
There's a very good range in Elmwood Park. It's like a block away from Chicago. It's on Grand Ave, just west of Harlem Ave. It's called Illinois Gun Works. $10 range fee and they rent guns for around $10. I go there a lot and the people there are very nice. In fact I was there this week and it was pretty empty. I went with 4 of my friends and we pretty much had the range to ourselves.

razorback2003
July 26, 2009, 03:34 AM
I'd have a handgun i wasn't willing to lose (like a well used revolver) put it in the trunk UNLOADED when you enter Illinois, and in a locked case, away from ammo, for say hotel protection, whether or not you are in Chicago city limits. If this is truly a city ordinance for POSSESSING a handgun in Chicago (i don't mean illegal carry under Illinois state law), then it is a misdemeanor ordinance violation, I'd bring the thing with me. I wouldn't call the police, prosecutor, or anyone. They have caller ID and the police stations record calls.

Follow all state firearm laws when in Illinois because that is where you'd get burned bad. The city ordinance thing, I wouldn't let that keep me from protecting myself in my hotel or when I get to another state and can load up a handgun. Keep the handgun case in your suitcase so that no one sees a gun case. Put ammo in another piece of luggage. Do not consent to car searches by Chicago police or any for that matter in Illinois. Enjoy your trip.

HC_Jack
July 26, 2009, 01:52 PM
UUW (http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs4.asp?DocName=072000050HArt%2E+24&ActID=1876&ChapAct=720%A0ILCS%A05%2F&ChapterID=53&ChapterName=CRIMINAL+OFFENSES&SectionID=60752&SeqStart=50300000&SeqEnd=53000000&ActName=Criminal+Code+of+1961%2E)

For the guy asking about the extendable baton, the Illinois unlawful use of a weapon statute applies to bludgeons as well. I think pepper spray or knives with blades under 2 1/2 inches are about your only options (barring any more creative solutions.)

Deanimator
July 26, 2009, 01:58 PM
I think pepper spray or knives with blades under 2 1/2 inches are about your only options (barring any more creative solutions.
Isn't pepper spray banned in Chicago too?

Francisco2
July 26, 2009, 09:40 PM
In Chicago you can carry pepper spray (in fact they are available in gas stations, Kmart, Target, or dollar stores all around the city) and folding knives with blades under 2 1/2" such as Case knives and non-scary-looking knives. No one can give me a straight answer on automatic or spring assist knives or double edge knives so leave those at home. You cannot carry any of that into schools, libraries, government buildings, or the Sears Tower (now known as the Big Willy). Tasers are illegal and you must have a FOID to purchase of possess one in the state. Stun guns are also illegal.

There are three gun stores/ranges in the surround suburbs or Chicago. Chuck's in Riverdale south of the city, Midwest Guns in Lyons 15 minutes southwest, Illinois Gun Works a block away from the northwest end of the city. If your friends have FOIDS they can get a guest in. They must buy the ammo not you. If they don't have FOIDs you're out of luck. Your best option to cross over into Hammond, IN and use the range there.

I must correct another post also. .22lr as well as other rimfire calibers are legal in Chicago as long you have a long gun of that caliber registered with CPD.

RDak
July 27, 2009, 02:39 AM
I'm visiting Chicago to see some friends, they wanted to know if I can bring the guns and show them how to shoot. I lived in IL for 17 years and I know that the laws are pretty strict, grew up in Cook County. My dad even lost his guns because they removed his FOID card.

Tell them "next year I'll be able to bring in handguns". ;)

Norseland
April 14, 2012, 09:52 AM
I will repeat what many said, Stay outta cook county if at all possible.

Ive heard 2 cases on the radio by gentleman, both are disturbing.
1 fellow just had rifles, and locked legally in the trunk. He was going to get his GF and low and behold got pulled over. Short story, He spent weekend in County (not where you want to be) and said he could never get those rifles back.

I heard recently that The Madigan Attorneys office has a policy that seems to over-ride
or at least not so legally not return firearms to owners.
They hold till any such court cases have been resolved then policy is to destroy them,
Thats your gun haters, they dont care about Law or rights or propety.

I heard it rather at the tail end one guy was lucky and got his back by let'in his lawyer loose on them before they could act. But the policy I described was exactly what someone told this guy from Lisa Madigans office.

Everyone Ive told about them taking and not returning Firearms has looked at me and said they cant do that, well I'm saying thats how they operate when you dont fit the mold they've made for this Utopia.

SO I'm saying this.. you dont want to find out.

john

Alland
April 14, 2012, 11:01 PM
Why would you resurrect an almost 3 year old thread?

Autolycus
April 15, 2012, 05:36 AM
Not only is he resurrecting it, but he is telling the "I know a guy" story.

Midwest
April 15, 2012, 07:12 AM
Maybe a mod should close this thread?

If you enjoyed reading about "Bringing guns into Chicago/Cook County?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!