New Mexico

PDA

beaucoup ammo
July 22, 2009, 06:59 PM
Have Been In And Out Of Hospitals for tooo long, so heading to New Mexico for a 3 week ramble in October.

Can anyone give me info on their gun laws? I'm in San Antonio and have had a CHL for years. Many thanks!

This I do know! Smokey The Bear's real name was "Hot Foot Teddy" as his pads were smoking when they found him clinging to a tree. Government thought "Smokey The Bear" was more Marketable.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Mexico" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GodGuns&Guitars
July 22, 2009, 07:20 PM
You're good to go as far as concealed carry. You can go to the New Mexico State Police web page and read up on their concealed carry laws, but pretty much the same as Texas. I was just through there a couple of weeks ago. Beautiful state I might add. I am not long out of the hospital myself so hope you're getting better. If you get up by Raton, you need to go through the NRA Whittington Center, it's awsome. Go when the office is open then if you can, stay until most of it closes down and drive or hike around. You will see lots of game, antelope and mule deer especially. Some elk possible too. I did go into one resturant that wasn't posted on the door, but by the cash registar as you checked out. I figure it was an illegal sign considering you probably wouldn't see it until after you ate. That's what happened to me anyway. I didn't worry about it as I was headed out the door after a not so good dinner. Sands Resturant in Raton, NM.

model of 1905
July 22, 2009, 08:58 PM
New Mexico is an open carry state and recognizes Texas CHL, however in New Mexico it is ilegal to carry more than one concealed handgun. You cannot carry a gun concealed or open into any business that sells alcohol for onsite consumption, this includes restaurants. You can carry a concealed gun into a business that sells alcohol for offsite consumption but you cannot open carry into these businesses. No carry of any kind in a school or university. If you are asked for your permit by LEO you must produce it if you are carrying concealed. There is no law requiring you to inform LEO of your CHL in case of a traffic stop. Your car (or other means of private conveyance) is considered an extension of your home regarding handgun carry.

If you have any othere specific questions, I will be glad to try to help.

I am not an attorney and am only offering help regards to the NM laws as I understand them, so do not take it as gospel.

What part of NM will you be visiting?

beaucoup ammo
July 23, 2009, 10:04 AM
I'm going to be wandering! My daughter is having a baby in New York and wants "ladies only!"

Probably go West on 10 out of San Antonio. Then get into the mountains ASAP. Look for shooting ranges,

Just taking 2 handguns in my "range case" w /receipts that go back 28 years! 1-.357 "K" frame and a KAHR 9MM. And my CHL, camera, etc.

I've "heard" there are open areas in the state where you can camp and shoot. At 63, I'll probably need accomodations with wilderness nearby. Anything fit that bill?

Last time I was in NM was about '98! Thanks for the help!

CoRoMo
July 23, 2009, 10:24 AM
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/newmexico.pdf

Whole Hog
July 23, 2009, 11:16 AM
There's a lot of BLM and National Forest land in New Mexico and most of it is open for camping, and shooting where it's safe to do so. Get some good maps, and like they used to say "Make local inquiry". There's a decent public range near Las Cruces, some great hiking and off-roading, and plenty of accomodations.

http://www.blm.gov/nm/st/en.html
http://www.publiclands.org/home.php

Dazen
July 23, 2009, 12:32 PM
I cant help but feel i am off-roading when driving down most New Mexico roads :) Make sure to slow it down too, they still have a lot of those 55 speed limit sighs posted about.

beaucoup ammo
July 23, 2009, 12:35 PM
Thank you, sir! That would put a damper on a trip!! Thanks to all. I'll spend the 1st night in Ft. Stockton..then want to get to the pines, foothills and mountains!

HoosierQ
July 23, 2009, 12:48 PM
Beaucoup

Take me with you man!

I happen to live far away from there in Indiana. Gun laws here are great...scenery not so much...open land non-existant. Gotta have permission from a farmer to shoot but there are lots of farms and farmers so...you know...it works out. Not like out west though.

At any rate, I have spent exactly one day in the desert and I loved it and I dream of going back every day. My wife loves Florida so there go my vacations.

One day, I would love to do what you're fixing to do. Pretty worthless post from me but good luck and have a great time.

QB

GodGuns&Guitars
July 23, 2009, 12:53 PM
If you'll wait until after my next oncology appointment on the 10th of August, I'll go with you.

skoro
July 23, 2009, 07:58 PM
Here's a range near Alamogordo:

http://www.co.otero.nm.us/MiscDept/shootrg.htm

And as a bonus, this puts you just 20 minutes from cool mountain breezes and pine forests in Cloudcroft.

Mags
July 23, 2009, 08:43 PM
Do you have plans on cruising up I-25 to Albuquerque? I can point you in the direction of some ranges and shops if you are heading up this way. O he yeah since you said you were coming in October I thought I would mention Albuquerque is haveing their "world" famous Balloon Fiesta the first week of October if that interests you.

Nasty Ned
July 23, 2009, 09:35 PM
My wife and I love New Mexico and would love to live there, however age and health have us corraled in North Carolina. Not too bad though, when I open my garage door I can start shooting at my backstop as we live in the boonies, on a knob, in a holler as they say here. Would love to go with you. Happy motoring.

beaucoup ammo
July 24, 2009, 02:16 PM
For some reason my "instant email notification" isn't working, so I'll check more often.

Skoro, When we were there in '98, the road (with tunnel) from Cloudcroft down to the white sands of Alamagordo was a treat! What a change in topography in just a matter of minutes!!

I have no time table..no plans. Just my 2 handguns, CHL, receipts for said guns and plenty of .38 +P, .357 and 9MM.

How's the ammo situation there? It's still bad here and some of the prices you wouldn't believe! Box of 50 / .38 / lead / 146gr.

I have much better, much shooter friendly ammo..but that gives you an idea what schmucks like Me were paying during the height of the frenzy back in January.

Erich
July 24, 2009, 04:01 PM
Ammo situation here in the big city is clearing up, slowly.

Feel free to email me if you have any Qs about ABQ/SF shops, restaurants, whatever. I'm a NM criminal defense lawyer (and former Hoosier, HoosierQ! ;) ) who's lived here in NM for over 20 years: obviously be very careful to obey the law and regs (start by looking on the DPS site) before carrying here.

That Alamogordo range that skoro linked is a great place.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Mexico" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!