I found another springfield...

PDA

Birdmang
July 22, 2009, 09:46 PM
A Springfield Armory Model 1898... I the stock was snapped in half by the trigger guard, I took it completely apart (stock from action/barrel) and cleaned it up all nice. I was wondering if anyone has anymore information on this and if they made any stocks for it!

I must have gotten lucky by finding 2 springfields in one week!
:neener:

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "I found another springfield..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kragluver
July 23, 2009, 11:51 AM
You have a Krag Model 1898. Rifle stocks will sometimes show up on the auction boards and I think Boyds (and perhaps others) make reproduction stocks.

The barrel should be 30" if uncut. Many of these rifles were cut down as sporters back in the day. If the barrel is uncut, and if you still have the hand-guard (which are hard to find), you might be able to restore the rifle to its original configuration.

phrogmech
July 28, 2009, 09:23 PM
Try the CMP(Civilian Markmanship Program)

Sunray
July 29, 2009, 04:56 PM
Like kragluver says, it's an 1898 Krag. Not a Springfield 1903. Shoots .30-40 Krag(aka .30 Government), not .30-06.
Go here for a stock. About half way down. New full military and sporter's.
http://www.gun-parts.com/militarystocks/
Gunparts lists forends at $52.45 each.

Birdmang
July 29, 2009, 09:43 PM
Well it says Springfield Armory on the barrel, is this wrong then?

Brian Williams
July 30, 2009, 10:53 AM
it was made in the Springfield Armory, back when the US had Armories that actually made guns.

jimmyraythomason
July 30, 2009, 12:06 PM
How about some pictures?

Birdmang
July 30, 2009, 12:16 PM
I'll have them posted a little later today.

If you enjoyed reading about "I found another springfield..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!