1911 9mm punchered primer

PDA

hoppo
July 22, 2009, 11:47 PM
hey fallas.
new to handguns, live in oz just brought 1911 copy norinco 9 mm. after 300 rounds, trigger great, accurate enough, 4 inch artistic patten at 25 yards. it was one foa, [foot of angle] for first fifty shoots. problem is it is piecing the odd primer. is this dangerous. will it just blunt firing pin. is pin hardened stopping me reshape point of pin.
regards hoppo

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 9mm punchered primer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Zerodefect
July 22, 2009, 11:49 PM
I'd try some different ammo first.

I've never seen a firing pin actually go through a primer!:eek:

GodGuns&Guitars
July 22, 2009, 11:56 PM
I've seen this happen a couple of times. You need to take the upper reciever group apart and see if the firing pin return spring is either broken or weak. If so, replace it. That could be a problem easy enough to fix. Sooner or later the firing pin could stick in a primer not allowing it to eject the spent round. Not so much a danger as it will be frustrating. I've seen it lock up a pistol before and it took some force to get it unlocked. Could be someone broke the original firing pin that was in it, and had to make a "make shift" pin to work. These are the places I would start and there will be others on here chime in with some other good advice as well. Hope this helps you.

hoppo
July 23, 2009, 12:03 AM
thanks ggg.
spring is ok, pin has blade screwdriver type point. gun is brand new i brought two of them last week. same pin in each gun. am going to make a .22 out of one for practice and 9mm comp, same gun feel

Jim K
July 23, 2009, 12:07 AM
Contrary to common belief, punctured or pierced primers are almost never (barring a firing pin with a needle point) actually pierced. No mainspring that could be put in a gun has enough power to actually force a normal firing pin through the primer.

What happens is that the firing pin blow is too light. It has enough force to set off the primer, but not enough momentum to keep the internal pressure of the primer from forcing it back and forcing a small disc of the primer metal into the firing pin hole. Not only will this eventually damage the firing pin from the escaping gas, but those small discs will build up in the breechblock to the point that they interfere with the firing pin and the gun fails to fire.

Check for a very light firing pin, too strong a firing pin return spring, or too light a mainspring (hammer spring). Then check to see if there are any pieces of primer in the firing pin tunnel.

Jim

hoppo
July 23, 2009, 04:08 AM
spring same tention on each gun same. pin is too sharp. other guns i have have a round point, norinco has blade

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 9mm punchered primer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!