Single point tactical slings...

PDA

ny32182
October 24, 2003, 01:04 PM
This question is about single point tactical slings on an AR. I’ve seen a few pictures of them installed, but never a picture of someone actually using one. If they work like I think they do, I might be interested in installing one on my Superlight. So: who has one, and what do you think about it? Will it install on a bushmaster factory pinned telestock? Who makes them, and how exactly do they install? Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Single point tactical slings..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
P95Carry
October 24, 2003, 01:18 PM
I can't advise on the specifics of fitting ..... but I still have a single-point I used in target rifle days. I'll see if I can show a pic later.

It went around my left side biceps ... with a tightening bar arrangement ... and then other end I had a sorta flat sheet metal ''S'' hook .. which quickly slotted into or out of a receiving piece mounted to forend (bit like usual sling swivel but wider IIRC .. that gun is long gone. Whole thing adjustable for length of course.

In use, it was remarkably effective ... allowing for excellent triangulation when prone .. rock steady ... and even used standing as well - way superior to two point std sling.

Bartholomew Roberts
October 24, 2003, 01:19 PM
Usually single-point slings require a mount that slips between the lower receiver and the buffer tube. You could use one with a pinned telestock but you would need to remove the stock in order to install the mount (which is usually extra and costs as much as the sling).

The gun will not hang as stable as if you used a three-point or normal sling but with a single-point you can transition from left to right and there is less to get hung up on gear. Some single-point sling mounts can stick up too high and be hard on the knuckles when using the charging handle.

If you go this route, it is also useful to get a short piece of bungee cord and secure it to your belt. When you need to secure the weapon, pull the bungee across it to tie it down - this helps minimize the swinging of the gun and keep it tight to the body for administrative range work.

For 3-gun and competition, I really like the single-point sling. I also have a three-point tactical sling and it is more versatile. Really it depends (like many other things) on how you intend to use it. If transitions to weak shoulder, transitions to pistol or wearing/mounting a lot of gear aren't in your intended uses then almost any sling is going to be superior to the single-point.

P95Carry
October 24, 2003, 01:44 PM
ttbadboy .. just took this pic real quick .... shows the type of single point I was describing ......... it's made from quite heavy fabric reinforced plastic strapping .. no stretch at all ..... it is comfortable on arm when done up.

The end fitting as said .. is home brewed . not too pretty but it worked ... keep meaning to adapt this to use on another rifle.

http://www.bedford.net/design/shoot/sp_sling_s.jpg

ny32182
October 24, 2003, 01:47 PM
The type I’m thinking of appears to consist of a loop that is attached to the stock at a single point. When not in use, the gun hangs muzzle down on your strong side, and would do a good deal of banging around if it were not secured somehow. Although I suppose that with enough slack, it could be placed on your weak side when not in use. I’m left handed, btw. The quick transition to having the gun shouldered and aimed are what attracts me about this setup… Assuming I correctly understand its use.

P95Carry
October 24, 2003, 02:16 PM
This one of mine is I guess not very ''tactical'' ... however ..... I could still see it's usefulness .... by setting it up with gun initially ... I'd then just unhook from gun .... leaving strap on upper left arm and only a minor inconvenience ... it'd then be a matter of a second to re-attach to gun and get into operation.

I think the principle would suit you .. but must say I wouldn't want to leave rifle hangin from mine!

Sunray
October 24, 2003, 02:24 PM
Geezuz, there's no such thing as a 'tactical' sling. What you're looking at is a single point target shooter's sling. The term 'tactical' is a marketing term and has no basis in reality. Never mind the shooting sports.

Kilroy
October 24, 2003, 02:50 PM
One of our guys went to demonstrate the benefits of a single point on an M4. He dropped the gun to transition and took the weight of the gun right in the K6 zone. Dropped him right there.

Skunkabilly
October 24, 2003, 05:45 PM
I went to the 3-point sling from the standard carry sling because it would still tie up a hand, would still flop around and the barrel would burn my little arms if the sling weren't falling off my dinky shoulders. Tossing it over my head but too hard to control the muzzle and keep it from banging into doorways, and it would usually take my ear pro, glasses and hat off with it.

I didn't like the 3-point for my body type. The gun sagged too low and flopped around too much. I went to a singlepoint because:

1. Easy to control the muzzle when slung
2. Less strappy than the 3-point,
3. Fits my me better- it doesn't want to slide down my shoulders

Can't really offer a scientific explanation for it working better for me but it does. I still like to control the gun with one hand while it's slung but when I need both hands, I can still use them without the gun beating me up.

ny32182
October 24, 2003, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the input...

Does anyone have pictures of a single point or three point with the gun both shouldered, and at the slung position?

Rebel Gunman HK
October 24, 2003, 06:43 PM
Got mine from: http://www.thewilderness.com/

I like it. Gotta keep a hand on the rifle when walking thou.

Skunkabilly
October 24, 2003, 07:13 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21508&highlight=singlepoint

Sorry I wore a black shirt, but if you squint hard enough you may be able to see it....

curt
October 24, 2003, 07:49 PM
I used a giles 3point sling for years but after the last course i took decided to try a single point. the 3 point was in the way of my bolt release and about impossible to shoot from the weak side. I'm not sure i like how the single point hangs but it seems to solve the other 2 problems.

P95Carry
October 24, 2003, 07:51 PM
ttbadboy ...... Does anyone have pictures of a single point or three point with the gun both shouldered, and at the slung position?Probably not much help .... but, just a quick shot for you .. only rifle that came to hand with a suitable front sling mount was my Turk!!

So .. here it is shouldered .... mind you .... in old days on my target rifle I also had a hand stop behind where it attaches ... that was even better.

No shot of carry position .. with this ... hardly practical!

JDSlack ...... please note the S&W wall chart!!! Thx dude!

http://www.bedford.net/design/shoot/sp_sling_use_s.jpg

ny32182
October 24, 2003, 09:51 PM
Thanks guys. Skunk, thats the setup I was looking for.

Soap
October 25, 2003, 01:09 AM
I've used a single point tactical sling on a few occasions. They're great...until you leave go of the rifle, at that point it just flops all over the place. If you do a lot of scooting and transitioning, wear a cup! I might be doing something incorrectly though...

355sigfan
October 25, 2003, 03:12 AM
The term 'tactical' is a marketing term and has no basis in reality. Never mind the shooting sports.
END

While the term tactical may be overused it does have meaning when properly applied. I also do not give a crap about shooting sports I care about shooting to live and in this area truly tactical items can help out.

Now for the topic I prefer the single point sling because I can fire off my weak shoulder with it and it does not interfer with my bolt release lever.
Pat

igor
October 25, 2003, 10:44 AM
Ahem... I don't recall a discussion of two entirely different things go on so long without anyone noticing... :p or are you somehow cross-referenced on each others' ignore lists? :D

Chris Rhines
October 25, 2003, 11:25 AM
I've used a single-point carry sling several times. They're not bad, but you have to have them adjusted right or, as Dan says, they flop around all over the place when you move.

When I release my rifle, I usually knock it over to my weak side with my off hand. It ends up hanging muzzle-down, under my left arm. Pretty good for running around.

Get one with a quick-release buckle.

- Chris

Bartholomew Roberts
October 25, 2003, 12:39 PM
They're great...until you leave go of the rifle, at that point it just flops all over the place. If you do a lot of scooting and transitioning, wear a cup! I might be doing something incorrectly though...

Have you tried flipping the rifle so the ejection port faces inboard when you transition? It will still flop; but you'll see a lot less random swinging and K6 strikes this way because the sling will be laying across the top of the stock and restricting the movement a bit. It kind of creates a second point of contact (of course if you are moving violently/fast enough that the stock slips out from underneath the sling all bets are off)

That is for a right-handed shooter. If you are setup with the sling mount on the right side of the rifle and shooting left-handed, it would probably be opposite (ejection port outboard) but I couldn't say for sure as I've never done that.

Skunkabilly
October 25, 2003, 12:49 PM
They're great...until you leave go of the rifle, at that point it just flops all over the place. If you do a lot of scooting and transitioning, wear a cup!

You know Dan, I like guns, but I don't get THAT excited when shooting :rolleyes:

If you enjoyed reading about "Single point tactical slings..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!