Feral dogs question

PDA

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 23, 2009, 10:15 AM
Apparently in some areas, there's an awful lot of these, and they can become a fairly sizeable problem. I'm wondering, if you know, to what extent are these animals *truly* feral, meaning a sustaining population outside of the reliance upon continued human stupidity and negligence. See Poll.

If you enjoyed reading about "Feral dogs question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MCgunner
July 23, 2009, 10:20 AM
Man, I have no idea. I'd say it probably depends on location. If you're near a big urban center and you live out away from town, it might be a higher percentage of releases than if you live in the true boonies.

GodGuns&Guitars
July 23, 2009, 10:30 AM
In south west Arkansas where I use to live there were/are hog farmers and a lot of them have let their animals run loose for years except during deer season. Some of the hog would stick around the farm, some would stray away never to return. These are the ones that became feral. They just multiplied from there. There are also those that would trap hogs, then place them on private land and charge people to hunt them. Those that didn't get shot, multiplied and have been wild. They will destroy wildlife habitat. They eat pretty much the same things deer and turkey eat, leaving the deer herd, little food. They also raid farm fields destroying crops. They will destroy turkey habitat as well. The one good thing is if you have hogs running around on your hunting territory, you will have few snakes. Game and Fish commission in Arkansas along with the timber companies have taken the attitude of having them shot on site. At the hunting camp where I hunted, I've seen deer seasons where we killed more hogs that we did deer. Some I've seen shot weighed in the 400lb range with rather large tusks.

MCgunner
July 23, 2009, 10:41 AM
And that relates to feral DOGS how? :D

Feral HOGS have been in Texas for centuries, ain't a new thing. And, I don't know about Arkansas, but I have many hogs and many rattlers on my place. :D

I also have occasional feral DOGS on my place. It's a problem, for sure. They kill wildlife. I have taken 'em out before along with a few coyotes . I was watching a deal on deer management on the outdoor channel the other day. A game biologist says that coyote research shows they are a far greater problem for deer populations than previously thought. He suggested control as in professional trappers as one option. I'd never thought coyotes that big a problem, but I guess so. They will certainly take out fawns if they find 'em. He was saying they can account for as much as a 75 percent mortality of newborn fawns in some areas. I would suspect dogs would perhaps be even worse since they will kill even when they aren't hungry.

Flintknapper
July 23, 2009, 01:55 PM
GodGuns&Guitars wrote:

Some I've seen shot weighed in the 400lb range with rather large tusks.

I can see where that would make Feral DOGS a serious problem.

We have a few FD's around here....but nothing like that (thank goodness). :D ;)

hardluk1
July 23, 2009, 03:01 PM
400lb dogs just got to be to slow to catch much to eat. Darn them suckers might stand like a bear, and feral dogs, eeeeeee, off spring?. Back to the question. Most of the feral dogs we had back in sw fl after they broke bad and the fish and game along with the sheriffs dept gave open season on them, did not last long,, maybe two years total time time gone. Can't be many pups made it to grown size. They did hang near the county dump at night for a free dinner and then run during the days to eat your chickens pups ,small dogs, cats and scare the heck out of the people that lived around the area.

Georgia Gunner
July 23, 2009, 03:27 PM
We have got them bad where I live. Our property borders my hunting clubs land and all together we have about 2,000 acres combined and there are many, like twenty or thirty, wild dogs that roam the property. They can be a problem and some of the guys in my club shoot them. We have yet to have one attack anyone but I wouldn't be suprised if they did because when there is just one or two of them they run from you but when there is a pack of quite a few they will stand there ground and growl at you.

GodGuns&Guitars
July 23, 2009, 03:43 PM
Oops, My mistake on the hog/dog. It was too early this morning when I read it, and the chemo drug must have been taking effect. Sorry about that. MY mistake.

Flintknapper
July 23, 2009, 04:17 PM
GodGuns&Guitars,

No harm....we're just "pickin" at ya.

Take care,

Flint.

ArmedBear
July 23, 2009, 04:23 PM
Feral dogs aren't really an issue around here.

Feral children aren't, either.

But in certain "blue states", feral children run rampant. I think that most of them are born to two feral parents, though.

DRYHUMOR
July 23, 2009, 04:28 PM
Some are what ya call "free range" dogs, some wild, some run off. Most without collars. Since the county has a leash law on the books where I live, if it doesn't have a collar, it's fair game.

I had one charge me one day down in a creek bottom, some sort of chow mix. Drew down on it with a shotgun and it must have sensed it better places to be, I let it run off.

I see let out dogs once and awhile on the interstate. Saw the prettiest little blue tick one morning heading to a job. It was still there in the same area about 5 hours later on the way back. Still regret not picking it up from time to time.

GodGuns&Guitars
July 23, 2009, 04:29 PM
After what I've been through the last six months I can take the "picking." Geeezzz feel like an idiot now. Let me go hide my face in shame............

MCgunner
July 23, 2009, 05:00 PM
Like I ain't ever mis-read somethin' on this board? LOL!

DRYHUMOR
July 23, 2009, 05:19 PM
Usually happens before the first cuppa coffee is over, for me. ;)

I am glad that chow mix that charged me didn't weigh in at 400 lbs though. I only had 5 shells for 10 ga that day, might have turned out very different. :D

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 23, 2009, 07:03 PM
Well the hog commentary was helpful really - I enjoyed it. :)

Widely varying opinions as to how many whelped in the wild....

GodGuns&Guitars
July 23, 2009, 07:14 PM
It's got to be the sutent.

OLD208X3A
July 23, 2009, 07:45 PM
I saw a National Geographic special called "The Science of Dogs" and it was very interesting regarding this topic. If you turn your pet dog out it will NEVER become feral. We've bred domesticity into them so well that it'll have to breed with wild dogs to produce wild or free-ranging offspring. When Rover gets let go he'll just go try to scrounge through garbage or starve or, most likely, become a meal for real feral dogs. Additionally, it'll be most likely be the domestic females that mate with the feral dogs. If a domestic male approached a feral female the pack would kill it. Vicious dogs and feral dogs are two different things. Vicious dogs may attack humans or otherwise be aggressive (like the chow mix by the previous poster), but they're still not feral. Feral dogs avoid human contact and hunt and socialize with a pack mentality (like coyotes or wolves). Mean domestic dogs will travel primarily alone and will confront a human. So the answer to the poll question is 100% are born from feral parents. Interestingly, this is not true with pigs. If a pig from a farm is turned out into the wild it will immediately begin to grow tusks and within about two weeks will be completely feral.

http://icwdm.org/handbook/carnivor/FeralDog.asp

hardluk1
July 23, 2009, 07:57 PM
It's all good just good natured bit of fun, hehe. You do'n rounds of chemo? If so hang in there. I have been known to put foot in mouth once in a while to.

JimKirk
July 23, 2009, 10:01 PM
An older gentleman on my mail route would walk down to the "creek" that bordered the east side of town where I worked. Each day, weather, his health and creek levels permitting he would grab is pole, some bait and a bucket and head out. Most days he would have just returned from his trip when I would go by his house and he would share with me how many he had caught that day. One day he was running up the path which led to the creek, he was out breath and scared to death! He said that a pack of wild dogs had "treed" him right after daybreak that morning and he had been up the tree all morning! He said that he thought they had all left and had climbed down and started out to home, but at least five had tried to get him. He managed to beat them off with his pole and bucket until he got almost out of the woods and to the clearing leading to his house. Thats when I saw him running and hollering! Later I loaned him a 20ga pump and a couple boxes of #6s and between him and his teen grandson(who had a 22 semi rifle) killed sixteen large mixed breed wild dogs! From that day forward he would never go fishing with out a gun! He would hardly go alone either! I heard other such stories from other guys who fished that creek!

Jimmy K

MCgunner
July 23, 2009, 10:11 PM
Chemo sux. Good luck, dude. It can be beaten.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 23, 2009, 11:36 PM
killed sixteen large mixed breed wild dogs!

Holy Frijoles!! :eek:

GodGuns&Guitars
July 23, 2009, 11:41 PM
I'm hanging in. Feeling pretty good and going to take one of the grandsons into the mountains tomorrow. Stuff does suck, but it's better than the alternative and it seems to be working. Gaining weight back and all cell counts are good.

Now if I could just get back to the hog/dog killin'. I apologize for hi jacking the thread.

Art Eatman
July 24, 2009, 11:32 AM
OLD208X3A, one problem with the National Geographic's statement about "never feral": It doesn't explain collared dogs which have been shot during sheep killing, and the dogs had been home in town some three miles away, that morning. Georgetown, Texas, 1973; a co-worker of mine did the shooting. And there are similar stories from across the country...

Words like "always" or "never" are about like poison pills, seems like.

Carl N. Brown
July 24, 2009, 12:53 PM
Some expletive deleted city people take their unwanted pet dogs out in the country and abandon them. They end up crazy and wild, either starving or going after livestock.

My stepdad had use his .22 rifle to drive off some free running dogs harassing a neighbor's horses inside a fenced property.

My son and I rescued from a gully a puppy some --- person had let out of their car on the country road. We had been in the woods and when we heard the car stop on the road near our car then drive off, we thought it would be wise to check our vehicle. We found the puppy which was as tame and friendly as could be. We decided to drop it off at the animal shelter in town and got to see it adopted that afternoon. Some abandoned dog stories do end right.

Alagator
July 24, 2009, 06:33 PM
Way back in the late 70s feral dogs were pretty numerous in parts of Alabama. Auburn University wildlife biologists did a study on a few packs, including some radio-tagging. They mostly ate small stuff like rats and rabbits, some would hang out at open dumps. During hunting season they picked up gut-piles and unrecovered deer. Those that tried to run adult deer didn't do well- overall they didn't get enough food to pay for the energy expended. On the other hand, free-range dogs could run deer for hours, then go back to their owners for food and recuperation. I don't think we have as many feral dogs in Alabama now-- the coyotes have displaced them.

JimKirk
July 24, 2009, 09:51 PM
Dr. Tad
Luck would have it, I bumped into the old guy today after a Dr. appoint. I had forgot about them killing all those wild dogs until I saw your poll. I asked him how they(him and the grandson) had been able to kill that many dogs so quick! Turns out the GS was working a a meat packing plant and was able to get scrap meat and they had baited the wild dogs. He said that later on he and another friend had killed four more. Like I said there where reports from other creek fishermen of maybe not the same, but packs of wild dogs in the same area. I helped to find a used MossB shotgun at a good price, so now he has his own!

Jimmy K.

Uncle Mike
July 24, 2009, 09:58 PM
Feral children aren't, either.

But in certain "blue states", feral children run rampant. I think that most of them are born to two feral parents, though.

I'll finish this tomorrow when I aint LMAO....

Excellent.... X-ring ArmedBear....X-Ring!

gimlet1/21
July 25, 2009, 12:36 AM
The South Carolina state animal is the stray dog, they travel and breed in packs, some have collars beneath their matted hair. When we first arrived here my wife wanted to continue her hobby of raising fancy chickens, needless to say the boys and I were forced to hunt feral dogs. We must have killed 15-20 from two separate packs. Most were zapped with scoped mossberg 702 plicksters. We also breed AKC English Mastiffs, when my bitch was in heat the hunting was easy. Mastiffs put out a lot of scent.:evil:

Carl N. Brown
August 3, 2009, 09:10 AM
Back to the Opening Post: I would like to see a wildlife resources agency study. I suspect that most abandoned or runaway domestic dogs don't last the first winter, but that is just a surmise. A feral dog hunt to me would be a sad but necessary duty. Now hunting the people who abandon "pets" in the country would be justice, but probably not legal.

farscott
August 3, 2009, 01:32 PM
Some expletive deleted city people take their unwanted pet dogs out in the country and abandon them. They end up crazy and wild, either starving or going after livestock.This is a huge problem where I am, especially with the current economic situation. I have been finding roughly a dog per week out where we live. Found some with collars and tags. Called one guy whose phone number, with area code, was on the collar, and he denied owning the dog. That one got me torqued.

Just yesterday, we took in a half-starved Great Pyrenees that a local Realtor found. She is the sweetest dog, but she was not too far away from becoming feral. My wife and daughter got her cleaned up and found sixteen ticks in the process. It looks like she has a new job now, watching our chickens.

Lately I have been hearing about people leaving their pets to die chained up in their foreclosed homes. I am glad to not have seen that for myself.

In the past, I have been forced to shoot dogs. I was not happy doing it, and I blame ignorant people for forcing me to do their dirty work for them.

alemonkey
August 3, 2009, 01:57 PM
My parents find dumped dogs all the time. They live in a rural area, 10 miles outside a town of 400 people, and about 50 miles from a town of probably 30,000. My dad has had to shoot several feral dogs that attacked his livestock. I believe most all of them are dumped by their owners, not born in the wild. Winters can get pretty nasty where they live (northern Nebraska) and I doubt if many of them survive long enough to raise a litter.

I think anyone who wants to dump a dog should be shot and a good home found for the dog. It would spare the dog a nasty fate, and rid the world of another a-hole.

huntsman
August 5, 2009, 11:49 AM
If you get a chance check this show out on history channel

MonsterQuest : The Real Cujo
Airs on Saturday August 08 03:00 PM

Dogs are known as man's best friend, but now canines are striking fear into many who report attacks by predatory packs. Originally descended from wolves, domesticated dogs were brought to the United States 12,000 years ago and used as aggressive protectors. Today, more and more dogs are being turned loose on the streets and returning to their wild roots. These feral dogs are attacking people. Now, MonsterQuest launches a search to follow these ferals, using state of the art cameras to uncover where they live and how dangerous they are to man.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
August 5, 2009, 01:29 PM
I think anyone who wants to dump a dog should be shot and a good home found for the dog. It would spare the dog a nasty fate, and rid the world of another a-hole.

Hear, hear!!

Thanks for the info, huntsman.

alemonkey
August 9, 2009, 03:06 PM
Another often overlooked problem is feral cats, or even cats whose owner allow them to roam free. They destroy a huge amount of wildlife every year.

If you enjoyed reading about "Feral dogs question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!