Used Ruger Single-Six Value?

PDA

The Avatar of Time
July 23, 2009, 12:05 PM
Hello All,

A friend of mine is thinking of buying this and is wondering about the value of it:

http://theavataroftime.com/Pictures/RugerSingleSix.jpg

It's at a dealer only auction (I know a dealer that will buy it for him) so I'm looking for the value a dealer would pay for it as opposed to a normal buyer (I'm under the impression that guns sell cheaper at dealer only auctions since they have to be able to profit).

I have a couple other pics I'll try to upload in a bit if you'd like. It has some rust on the back sights and the front site has been painted, and very, very poorly, with a flurescent yellow/green which covers the whole top of the sight not just the blade. There's some on the back sight too.

Thank you for the input.

If you enjoyed reading about "Used Ruger Single-Six Value?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
robphillips
July 23, 2009, 01:32 PM
I bought a used one in May for 125, it was in better shape than that one with original grips. At least from what I can see from one pic.

ArmedBear
July 23, 2009, 03:00 PM
That's a 3-screw, which makes it collectible.

It's beat to hell, rusted, abused, and has (ugly) aftermarket grips, which makes it a lot less collectible, but...

Is it a first-year gun or something? A rare barrel length?

It's really hard to say what that gun is worth.

If you want it as a shooter, I'd pass.

If you were a crazed Ruger collector, you'd already know, and you wouldn't be asking.:)

D Rudd
July 23, 2009, 04:07 PM
That is not a 3-screw. It's a well used New Model NR9.

Dana

ArmedBear
July 23, 2009, 04:18 PM
You're absolutely right.

When I saw the picture, I thought I saw a third screw. I just looked again, and there were only two. And it has adjustable sights. I have to take a few days off work...:D

Revised assessment: IF the gun works okay and shoots okay, I'd buy it as a beater if I could get it for a lot less than 100 bucks, IF I really wanted it that day. Otherwise, I'd laugh at the seller.

It might make a great dog-training pistol for shooting blanks, for under 50 bucks, but it's kinda long for that.

flipajig
July 23, 2009, 10:36 PM
I do have a 3 screw with both cylinders and when i bought it I only paid a hundred bucks for it. and its in a whole lot better shape than that one that your lookin at. personaly I wouldnt give more than 50.. my two cents worth

GP100man
July 24, 2009, 10:17 AM
if ya can get it cheap buy it , clean it up & shoot the dickens out of it !!!
the grips gotta go though IMO. $150 including shippin & transfers would be tops for me.

GP100man

The Avatar of Time
July 25, 2009, 02:37 AM
Thanks for the input. Yeah, he doesn't like the grips either, nor do I. He doesn't want to pay over $100 for it. I agree. Personally I like the Heritage pistols and if I had to pay much over $100 for that beat up Ruger I'd rather get a new Heritage. I know they are a cheaper pistol, but I have one and it seems to be a quality product so far. They are better looking than the Ruger too, in my opinion.

I'm going to fix it up for him a bit if he gets it, but just the same with the condition it isn't worth a lot in my opinion.

jad0110
July 25, 2009, 06:43 PM
Interesting. Must be just my area of the country then, as I have NEVER seen a used Single Six priced at less than $275 (not 3 screws either). Stupid, because you can buy brand new ones for $299.

The Avatar of Time
July 30, 2009, 03:04 AM
Well the auction is over so I just thought I'd mention the final selling price. It went for $220, which for it's shape and what not I found to be absurd, but I suppose a gun's true value is whatever it's worth to you.

Where it was a dealers only auction though I don't see how anyone will make money off of that. But maybe a dealer bought it for himself to keep, who knows.

If you enjoyed reading about "Used Ruger Single-Six Value?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!