Muzzle energy?

PDA

Camel
October 24, 2003, 01:19 PM
Do any of you folks know of a website or program where I can imput weight and velocity and get muzzle energy? Is that even the correct term? Im kind of new to the whole ballistics thing.

If you enjoyed reading about "Muzzle energy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Vern Humphrey
October 24, 2003, 01:30 PM
The correct term is "kenetic energy." Kenetic energy at the muzzle might be termed "muzzle energy," however.

The formula (developed by Issac Newton) is simple:

Kenetic energy = 1/2 Mass X velocity squared.

To convert weight to mass, you must divide by the gravitational constant, 32.2 ft/sec/sec.

The whole formula is:

Kenetic energy = 1/2 X weight X velocity X velocity DIVIDED by 7000 (grains per pound) X 32.2 ft/sec/sec.

You can easily plug this into spreadsheet -- like Microsoft Excell

Camel
October 24, 2003, 02:03 PM
I guess if I had studied a little harder that would make a lot more sense.

I found an equation that is simplified for people like me.

E=MV2/450400, where M is bullet mass in grains, V is the bullet velocity in ft/sec, and 450400 is a constant specific to English units of measurement.

14000 x 212.7^2/450400 = 1406.26 ft/lbs.

I found that here Muzzle Energy Calculator (http://members.aol.com/mudsmeller/reloading_data/muzzle_energy.html) for anyone thats interested.

If you enjoyed reading about "Muzzle energy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!