Leaving IL, what to do with my guns

PDA

seanie!
July 23, 2009, 02:08 PM
I've officially made up my mind that it's time to get out of Illinois. I am looking to move to a more gun friendly state, also known as Arizona. When I move, can I take my guns with me? Or do I have to send them via FFL?

If you enjoyed reading about "Leaving IL, what to do with my guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dogrunner
July 23, 2009, 02:46 PM
They're yours! Just pack 'em up and enjoy your new home and the freedoms it affords............you WON'T look back!

Just as an afterthought, it is really remarkable that the mindset inculcated into folks that live is States like his have. It is truly sad to have a freeborn American Citizen voice this repeated refrain of "do I have to get permission" query...........I truly feel sorry for those brought up in such an environment and applaud their decision to get the devil out of those places!

LeonCarr
July 23, 2009, 02:46 PM
Welcome to America

AirplaneDoc
July 23, 2009, 02:50 PM
Best of Luck,

I am trying to get the hell out of here too.

I understand that sometimes the moving companies give you static, but if they do not "see" them, as they are already packed with clothes, and other stuff. No problems. Otherwise just put them in you car. and go.

Remember most every other state is more gun friendly than IL.

Best of Luck

AD

floydster
July 23, 2009, 02:54 PM
I won't go anywhere near Illinois, it is a criminal infested gun hating state in favor of the outlaws.
When I go down south I give it a wide berth, they will never get any of my $$$.
Wisconsin is not far behind.

Floyd

floydster
July 23, 2009, 03:01 PM
If they are handguns put them in a lockable container separate from the ammo.
And for long guns I think all you have to do is have them in a case unloaded,
Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks,Floyd

damien
July 23, 2009, 03:20 PM
I won't go anywhere near Illinois, it is a criminal infested gun hating state in favor of the outlaws.

Illinois is not that bad if you get your FOID card. We don't have concealed carry or NFA weapons, but we don't have any of the other stupid laws either. No mag capacity limit, no semi-auto bans, no one-gun-a-month limit, no training requirement, no unreasonable waiting period (24 or 72 hours), no .50-cal ban, reasonable transportation requirements (unloaded and in a case of any description). Out of staters, I don't know exactly how well they will treat you without a FOID card. Chicago is worse, but that is a very small part of the state stuck in the upper right-hand corner. You do not need to go there.

Remember most every other state is more gun friendly than IL.

These are worse: HI, CA, MD, DE, RI, MA, NY, NJ, CT, DC.

Phatty
July 23, 2009, 05:47 PM
Illinois is not that bad if you get your FOID card . . .
and you never leave your own property.

damien
July 23, 2009, 05:51 PM

Legal "transportation" of firearms means having it in a case and unloaded. So at least you can have one in your car - that's what I do. Yeah, CCW is not allowed. For all practical purposes the other ten states I listed it is not either because of restrictive licensing.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
July 23, 2009, 06:08 PM
NEVER let movers touch your guns---move them yourself or they will disappear.

I would stop at the state line--burn the FOID card and give them the finger. Then turn around and be on my way smiling.:D

Phatty
July 23, 2009, 06:28 PM
What I meant by the above statement was that Illinois is relatively permissive with what you possess or do on your own property. However, the second you step off your property you might as well be in China because you can't even touch a loaded gun.

So at least you can have one in your car - that's what I do.A gun is pretty much worthless as a tool when not loaded. Do you keep it in your car in case you need to pistol whip a would-be carjacker?

JHK94
July 23, 2009, 06:37 PM
I did the same thing a few years ago. Transported my guns normally (with my FOID, in a case, etc) while in IL...once I was outside of state lines, there wasn't anything else to do! Now that I'm an AZ resident, I'd have to do some magic to bring them back easily....

shotgunjoel
July 23, 2009, 06:50 PM
Good for you, now I just need to flee.

BBQLS1
July 24, 2009, 09:59 AM
Freeeeeeeeddddddoooooommmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tuckerdog1
July 24, 2009, 04:28 PM
FOID card?

Is that some kind of permission slip to buy/own a gun?

Tuckerdog1

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 24, 2009, 06:40 PM
Give half to Dick Daley and half to Obama. Maybe one for Bobby Rush.

Is that some kind of permission slip to buy/own a gun?

That's precisely what it is - welcome to one of the most gun-hating states in the USA, and in some ways THE worst anti-freedom state.

sctman800
July 25, 2009, 11:25 AM
If you are not leaving right away you might think about a Pennsylvania CCW permit. Cheap insurance and depending on your route should be good everywhere except N. M. I am not sure about resident requirements to get a CCW in Arizona but the Pa. should be good untill you establish your resident status in Arizona. Check out www.handgunlaw.us for more information, Jim.

jklinstein
July 25, 2009, 11:47 AM
I left Illinois 5 years ago. Legally, you can take anything that is legally yours. You should transport them according to Federal guidelines which guarantee how you can legally take them across state lines. Your easy options are:
1. Let the movers handle it (which is a bad idea).
2. unloaded, encased, and not accessible in your vehicle.
3. Ship them to your destination - NO FFL REQUIRED.

If it is possible transport them yourself. I'd rather store them and get them later than let the movers handle them. Shipping them could get very expensive.

Once you establish residence out of state and have transported your firearms, you can ignore the FOID requirements, but be sure to learn the laws of your new state. You might want to keep the FOID card in case you every need to move back.

NavyLCDR
July 25, 2009, 12:09 PM
2. unloaded, encased, and not accessible in your vehicle.

The Federal statute does not require firearms to be encased if they are transported in an exterior compartment of the vehicle such as trunk. Also, if the vehicle does have an exterior compartment, that is where the Federal statute requires the firearms and ammo to be transported.

HOWEVER, you are not required to actually transport the firearms in accordance with the Federal statute, if you would rather transport them in accordance with the states' laws of the different states you will be passing through. The Federal law merely gives you a simple option without having to concern yourself with all the different states' laws.

Deltaboy
July 25, 2009, 02:42 PM
Pack them up in your car and take them to AZ.

Poper
July 26, 2009, 09:47 PM
Pack them up in your car and take them to AZ. Yup. They're your property and yours only.
But I would add: Observe all speed limits and traffic laws. Do not give the local LEO's any reason to stop you. For some odd reason, LEO's seem to think any vehicle stopped for a traffic violation with an out-of-state license plate should be searched for contraband. And you never know when Barney Fife will be the guy that stops you.
A "voluntary" search of your vehicle may raise some uncomfortable questions.

JM2C

Poper

distra
July 28, 2009, 10:39 AM
These are worse: HI, CA, MD, DE, RI, MA, NY, NJ, CT, DC.

You are kidding, right? Both CT and RI have CCW and don't have Chicago. In CT, there is no waiting with a permit for anything (handguns or long guns), no mag capacity limits, friendly transport for non-residence, non-resident permits, only places off limits to carry are court house/legislative buildings and schools, and no need for FOID to buy ammo.:cool: There are more gun friendly states, but CT is not near as bad as IL. BTW, I'm writing this from IL, visiting family, and could not bring my skeet guns due to having to spend 5 days in Chicago. :banghead:

Pack your guns and get out as soon as you can. If all that's left in the state is liberal city folk, it might make it easier to give the whole state to Canada!:evil:

Rat Robb
July 28, 2009, 11:24 AM
Illinois sucks for gun owners and that's that.

I live in St. Louis and frequently have to cross the river into this hellish state and hate it.

Damien, if you think that you have gun rights, you need to put down the kool-aid and wake up.

-Robb

scottaschultz
July 28, 2009, 11:42 AM
floydster, I fixed it for you!

I won't go anywhere near Illinois, it is a criminal infested gun hating state in favor of the outlaws some of whom aren't even elected officials!

Rat Robb, I also live in the St. Louis area. You know why all the trees in Missouri lean towards Illinois? Because Illinois sucks!

Scott

LeonCarr
July 28, 2009, 02:04 PM
If you are a gun owner, happiness is Illinois in the rear view mirror :).

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Birdmang
July 28, 2009, 03:10 PM
I happily own guns in Illinois, but if I knew what gun freedom really was and hadn't grown up in this state...things would seem a lot different.

HoosierQ
July 28, 2009, 03:21 PM
Unless I am missing something here, I'd toss 'em in my car and move. Maybe you got 10 safe's worth. In which case I'd put the safes in a u-Haul and move.

Just pack 'em up and move 'em man. The rest of the country is not nearly as bad as Illinois and I suspect (no offense intended) that only somebody living in IL, NJ, NY, CA would even ask such a question in the first place.

I was in a wreck in a small rural Indiana town and had my rifle and my handgun with me. The LEOs on scene didn't even give me a sideways glance when I removed them from the wrecked car and put them in the car that came to rescue me.

CoRoMo
July 28, 2009, 03:36 PM
Illinois is not that bad if

you get your FOID card.
We don't have concealed carry
or NFA weapons
reasonable waiting period (24 or 72 hours)
reasonable transportation requirements (unloaded and in a case of any description)
Out of staters, I don't know exactly how well they will treat you without a FOID card.
Chicago is worse, but that is a very small part of the state stuck in the upper right-hand corner. You do not need to go there.

Sorry for the editing, I just thought that was rather funny.

It's not that bad, except for...

Specialized
July 28, 2009, 04:30 PM

And that's just the politicians, you should see the citizenry! :D

Seriously, it isn't worth it anymore. I'm moving to Wisconsin soon, for similar reasons. They don't have CC yet, but they will before IL will, and I don't have to worry about the political climate and clout-based government/enforcement as much. Although it might catch up to me. The press is already calling the Obama White House "The 51st Ward".

If I had any self-respect, I'd move to Indiana...

floydster
July 28, 2009, 04:56 PM
Thanks Scott.
Floydster

larry_minn
July 28, 2009, 08:20 PM
When I have to travel thru IL I fuel up BEFORE I enter the state. The only reason I stop is to use bathrooms. Once I get out of state I refuel/buy chow/etc.
Yrs ago I saw a sporting goods place and went in. Saw some ammo at fair price (this was 1985 area) "can I see you FOID card?" Of course I said "what?" I left without ammo.

Onmilo
July 28, 2009, 08:36 PM
You can buy ammo here being out of state.
You can buy a long gun if you live in a contiguous state as long as you wait the 24 hours.

You can carry a concealed weapon on your property and in your business and on anybody elses property with their written permission.

You can't carry on any other public place but many many LEO will let that slide if you are transporting bank gunds for a legitimate business.

Some towns in the middle part of the state are really pushing for concealed carry as they are getting sick and tired of dealing with the gangs and victims way of life so CCW may happen here faster than Wisconsin.

I still sucks here because of the politicians and I want a suppressor.

oneounceload
July 28, 2009, 10:43 PM
NEVER let movers touch your guns---move them yourself or they will disappear

Not true - I moved from NV to FL - put all of my long guns in a moving company wardrobe box - safely packaged in blankets, cases, bubblewrap, etc......secured the box with tape, marked the seams so I could tell if the box had been opened, listed everything on the manifest, including serial numbers and insured that box for over $25,000. Long story short, all came through just fine with no issues. The moving company will NOT take ammunition or powder, or any of the chemicals the typical household has.......................

kentucky bucky
July 29, 2009, 12:55 AM
They can take their FOID cards....whatever that is, and cram them. I'll stay in KY.

Kind of Blued
July 29, 2009, 01:04 AM
Threads like these make me smile like an absolute idiot. :) Congratulations sir. You won't regret it ('cept for maybe the heat :eek:).

Art Eatman
July 29, 2009, 11:26 AM
This has wandered away from useful discussion and off into bash-land...

If you enjoyed reading about "Leaving IL, what to do with my guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!