Chiappa / LSI Puma 92 "Mare's Leg" handguns

PDA

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 23, 2009, 02:31 PM
So the local gun store has two of these 92 leverguns - one in .45 colt and one in .44-40.

Upside is, this seems very cool. 12" bbl on these, IIRC.

Downside is, after handling them, they absolutely cannot be used at all as a rifle - way too short of a "buttstock", and so they're about as useless as teets on a boar hog - awkward to hold and aim as a handgun - would rather have an actual revolver in a gunfight.

And yet, knowing this logically, I still want one - badly! :)

http://www.gunblast.com/Puma-MaresLeg.htm

If you enjoyed reading about "Chiappa / LSI Puma 92 "Mare's Leg" handguns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MCgunner
July 23, 2009, 03:46 PM
You must be a Steve McQueen fan. I am, too, but not THAT much of a fan. LOL!

I like my 92 Rossi as is, thanks. I like the ballistics from a 20" barrel in .357, too. Very useful woods gun. I had one of those "Bounty Hunter" carbines and a holster for it when I was a kid, fired "greenie stickum caps". :D I was the cool kid on the street for a while.

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTc5NDc0NjEzM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTc0OTI2._V1._SX292_SY400_.jpg

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 23, 2009, 04:02 PM
I had one of those "Bounty Hunter" carbines and a holster for it when I was a kid, fired "greenie stickum caps". I was the cool kid on the street for a while.

That's funny right there! :)

Yep, love old western movies & shows:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051327/

bigmike45
July 23, 2009, 04:15 PM
Too much of a novelty gun for me. I, like Dr. Tad, would much prefer to carry a handgun. Easier to conceal and shoot accurately as well. I would say the shock factor to a possible carjacker would be hillarious. As he opens the door you show him the business end and I am sure it would look like a battlefield howitzer.

bigmike45

HB
July 23, 2009, 05:46 PM
Awesome movie/show prop but I really would prefer a revolver in a gun fight. I think the lever gun only holds 7 too!

Cougfan2
July 23, 2009, 06:03 PM
"greenie stickum caps".

That dates you. Unfortunately, it dates me too! :neener:

theotherwaldo
July 23, 2009, 07:00 PM
Even back then I was too smart to fall for the 'mare's leg' mystique. Instead, I stuck with my Fanner .50s.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 24, 2009, 12:09 AM
Went down to the gun store with the idea of getting the Mare's leg for spits & giggles; took $700. My butt - these things are $1,300 plus tax!!!! :eek: :eek: Can't see it happenin. Didn't look at the price the other day. :scrutiny:

MCgunner
July 24, 2009, 09:25 AM
Wow, price of a Freedom Arms revolver.:eek::rolleyes: There's no doubt which one I'd rather own.

bigfatdave
July 24, 2009, 07:10 PM
I wish Henry would do some of these in .22, honestly.
It may not have any practical application, but that would be fun to take to the range!

Joe Demko
July 27, 2009, 09:52 PM
Not every gun need be purchased on the basis of its utility in a gun fight. There are guns in my collection whose only purpose is fun at the range.

bigfatdave
July 27, 2009, 10:13 PM
There are guns in my collection whose only purpose is fun at the range. Same here, but I do try to limit those to the cheaper ammo, so I can actually afford to shoot them. Otherwise they would be safe queens, and that is not fun for me.

Vonderek
July 27, 2009, 11:47 PM
Went down to the gun store with the idea of getting the Mare's leg for spits & giggles; took $700. My butt - these things are $1,300 plus tax!!!!
Half the gun for twice the price! I'm all for range toys but that's a little over the top.

lloydkristmas
January 12, 2011, 02:00 AM
Sorry to re-hash an old post, but news is that Henry is about to release a Mare's leg in .22LR and 45LC. Prices are about 300 bucks for the .22, 600 bucks for the .45LC

http://http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-mares-leg.cfm

Grunt Medic TXARNG
January 12, 2011, 03:54 AM
And we sci-fi geeks remember the mare's leg fondly as Zoe's preferred weapon in the series 'Firefly'.

Working link for the above .22 and .45 models - http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-mares-leg.cfm

bigfatdave
January 12, 2011, 09:38 AM
I'm in for the .22 version!

ironhead7544
January 12, 2011, 05:39 PM
Theres a similar pistol, the Ranch Hand, thats cheaper.

hirundo82
January 12, 2011, 07:09 PM
I'm not too enamored of these "handguns" for a range toy (although I was a big fan of Firefly). On the other hand, they look like the perfect starting point for an SBR build.

BCRider
January 13, 2011, 02:14 PM
SBR?

I'd have to see what it felt like in the store but I could possibly fall to the lure of that .22 version. But I doubt it. For safety reasons doing the hand spin to cock it is right out. And if you can't spin it then where's the fun?

Besides, I still want to get a .22 lever rifle so this would come a distant second after a few other guns.

bigfatdave
January 13, 2011, 02:23 PM
Theres a similar pistol, the Ranch Hand, thats cheaper. As this is a toy, all I want is a .22LR version.
Rossi doesn't make the Ranch Hand in .22__ (I'd take .22wmr) - and if I were buying a centerfire version I'd rather buy from Henry anyway, nothing against Rossi/Taurus ... but I dig Henry's CS, product line, transparency, and quality, and will be delighted to buy another Henry now that they're making a "handgun" Mare's Leg.

Carl N. Brown
January 21, 2011, 07:55 PM
I guess I now suspect why Puma called their mare's leg "Ranch Hand".
J.B. Custom shop considers "Mare's Leg" to be their trademark.
NRA has pointed out that the term "mare's leg" appears to have been introduced by "Wanted: Dead or Alive" in 1959 and has become a generic term.

Gee, if I get one I'll have to call it "Buttless Trapper" or something.

Shanghai McCoy
January 22, 2011, 01:41 PM
"Buttless trapper" sounds more like a camp name for a skinny mountain man...
:)

rogertc1
January 22, 2011, 03:14 PM
Rossi (Taurus) makes the Ranch Hand (Brazil) which is under $550. In 45C, 357/44Mag.
Puma/Chappia (Italy)makes the Bounty Hunter
and JB make the Mares Leg ising Pums (italian parts) both of these are 0ver $1200, You get prettier wood, case hard finish and a few other odds and ends.
They are all classified as pistols because the frames ar virgin and buit into pistols.
It is made after the old 1958 TV series Wanted Dead or Alive staring Steve McQueen. thus the reason.
I have a Ranch Hand myself.

VA27
January 22, 2011, 08:12 PM
...Downside is, after handling them, they absolutely cannot be used at all as a rifle - way too short of a "buttstock", and so they're about as useless as teets on a boar hog - awkward to hold and aim as a handgun...

Hmmm...Two screws in the buttplate. Remove one, replace with eyescrew, attach loop-sling to eyescrew, slip over shoulder, adjust to correct length and use an outward push to steady the gun. Almost as good as a full length stock. Dang! Now I want one!

DPris
January 23, 2011, 03:50 PM
Puma is a brand name only, registered for use by Legacy Sports in Nevada, an importer.
Puma is not & never has been a company or manufacturer.

Legacy Sports imports the Italian Chiappa gun and named it the Bounty Hunter, as part of their Puma brand line.
Denis

M2 Carbine
January 24, 2011, 02:20 AM
My Rossi Ranch Hand cost under $500. I got the 38/357 because I load a lot of 38 Special. I haven't seen another one anywhere since I bought mine.

The gun is actually quite handy and with a little practice the shooter can get pretty good shooting from the hip at 10 yards. Even holding it out like a pistol using the sights most people do very with it.

And most important, it's a lot of fun to shoot.:)
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/RossiRH-1.jpg

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/RossiRHshooting38SWCtwohandsstandingcheekweld-1.jpg

pricedo
February 18, 2011, 05:46 PM
Sorry to re-hash an old post, but news is that Henry is about to release a Mare's leg in .22LR and 45LC. Prices are about 300 bucks for the .22, 600 bucks for the .45LC

http://http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-mares-leg.cfm
I've wasted money on worse things in my life.

The selling feature of the Chiappa 1892 Mare's Leg Takedown model is the ability to disassemble the gun into 3 small pieces that will inconspicuously fit into a small pack sack or normal sized briefcase without the inevitable "Whatcha packing a gun for?" or "Whatcha huntin in July?" from idiots with nothing better to do and the inevitable 3rd. degree from LEOs if it happens to be the hunting off season.

Thought I was being discreet carrying a NEF Survival Gun in a gym bag or piano case sized "discreet" carry case but about 50% of the people who saw me guessed what was up in a second and at least one motel clerk said "We don't like firearms on the premises Sir.".......I might as well have had a billboard on my back with the words "I'm packin heat".

The Mare's Leg Takedown in .44 Magnum is the only full powered rifle that is truly inconspicuous enough to be called "invisible" for discreet carry.

I'm not shy about owning or carrying guns but sometimes it's just plain none of anyone else's fraken business & I'd sooner not have to deal with all of the stupid comments & questions.

For $1300 I fully expect to see real walnut rather than Brazilian jungle mystery wood & significantly better workmanship & wood to metal fit than on my $500 Rossi Puma.

For that kind of money the gun should be as smooth as a baby's behind right out of the box with no need to send it to a third party shop for spiffing up.

The Mare's Leg would make an excellent truly "discreet carry" survival/protection rifle for a bush pilot, geologist, prospector, fisherman & in .44 Magnum with a 12" barrel it would be an azz kicker capable of providing defense from larger predators like bears that can be stored in a normal sized, quite innocent looking fishing/hikers pack or brief case until it was needed.

DPris
February 18, 2011, 10:19 PM
No, it doesn't make an excellent "rifle" for any purpose whatever.
It's not a rifle, and if you're planning on using it as one you're not being very realistic.
Denis

pricedo
February 19, 2011, 05:01 AM
No, it doesn't make an excellent "rifle" for any purpose whatever.
It's not a rifle, and if you're planning on using it as one you're not being very realistic.
Denis

Without a shadow of a doubt there are far better guns for just about any PLANNED shooting task.

It's the UNPLANNED emergency uses that I'm concerned about.

The Chiappa Mare's Leg Takedown (that can be disassembled into 3 small pieces in seconds) is obviously not going to substitute for my .300 Winchester Magnum on a moose hunt or my .30-06 Sprngfield on a deer hunt but it will be there as a defense/survival gun taking very little space in my pack sack or even in my brief case in the back of the car, plane, SUV or ATV for when I need it whereas my hunting guns spend the off season in one of my gun safes.

The Rossi Ranch Hand is a lot cheaper to buy but is no use to me for my purpose because it won't disassemble into 3 small carry-on pieces like the Chiappa Mare's Leg Takedown will.

I don't know of any gun other than a handgun that is less conspicuous or takes up less space in personal carry-abouts or vehicles.

The .44 Magnum from a 12" closed barrel (vs vented revolver barrel) boasts impressive ballistics capable of defending the carrier from any North American predator.

Sure a 12 gauge Defender or a .450 Marlin Guide Gun is better but you're not going to get either of those into a brief case.

For people who spend a lot of time in Canada the discussion is moot because short barreled rifles & shotguns are completely legal up there (none of the NFA category 3 nonsense) whereas the legal ability of a civilian to carry a handgun anywhere other than at a government approved range is virtually nonexistent. You have to be a "Philadelphia lawyer" even to get a handgun into Canada let alone use it there.

I'm a mining engineer/geologist that spends a lot of time "in the sticks" of North America (US & Canada) 24/7/52. In an unplanned emergency situation the Mare's Leg is the best LEGAL compromise & is a frak of a lot better than nuthin. ;)

DPris
February 19, 2011, 02:08 PM
In no way am I telling you not to buy one. I have the Chiappa & the Rossi, as mentioned.
I was merely saying it's not a rifle. Regardless of how much the takedown feature appeals to you, if you intend to use it as a shoulder-fired rifle, you're making a poor choice.

Aside from the Fun Factor, the guns obviously CAN be used for serious purposes. But- they are an inefficient handgun, not a short rifle.
Aiming/target acquisition is slower, shot to shot times are greater, getting back on target after having to lose your firing position to cycle the action after the first shot really slows things down, the gun is a two-handed proposition, holding on target involves a heavier gun, and recoil in the .44 Magnum will be distributed more awkwardly in hand than with a revolver in the same caliber.

Velocities through a 12-inch barrel would be slightly higher, obviously, but as a purely practical matter a 6 or 7.5-inch barreled .44 Mag revolver in either DA or SA form would come close enough to get the same job done, be perfectly concealable in luggage, capable of firing followup shots much faster, operable with one hand, quicker to get back on target after firing, easier to manage recoil with, and can be carried with much less bulk on the body in a good belt or shoulder rig when on the ground.

In .44 Mag, that gun will be a handful in trying to keep it from coming back at your face, and it's not really feasible as a practical matter to try & shoot it from the shoulder.
A regular revolver is infinitely easier to control, a much superior two-handed hold.

If you like the ML package, fine.
There are more efficient defensive tools for your purposes, planned or unplanned, but the main point is that it's a relatively awkward handgun, not a rifle.

Your choice, good luck with it.
Denis

pricedo
February 19, 2011, 05:52 PM
In no way am I telling you not to buy one. I have the Chiappa & the Rossi, as mentioned.
I was merely saying it's not a rifle. Regardless of how much the takedown feature appeals to you, if you intend to use it as a shoulder-fired rifle, you're making a poor choice.

Aside from the Fun Factor, the guns obviously CAN be used for serious purposes. But- they are an inefficient handgun, not a short rifle.
Aiming/target acquisition is slower, shot to shot times are greater, getting back on target after having to lose your firing position to cycle the action after the first shot really slows things down, the gun is a two-handed proposition, holding on target involves a heavier gun, and recoil in the .44 Magnum will be distributed more awkwardly in hand than with a revolver in the same caliber.

Velocities through a 12-inch barrel would be slightly higher, obviously, but as a purely practical matter a 6 or 7.5-inch barreled .44 Mag revolver in either DA or SA form would come close enough to get the same job done, be perfectly concealable in luggage, capable of firing followup shots much faster, operable with one hand, quicker to get back on target after firing, easier to manage recoil with, and can be carried with much less bulk on the body in a good belt or shoulder rig when on the ground.

In .44 Mag, that gun will be a handful in trying to keep it from coming back at your face, and it's not really feasible as a practical matter to try & shoot it from the shoulder.
A regular revolver is infinitely easier to control, a much superior two-handed hold.

If you like the ML package, fine.
There are more efficient defensive tools for your purposes, planned or unplanned, but the main point is that it's a relatively awkward handgun, not a rifle.

Your choice, good luck with it.
Denis

If it wasn't for the mineral prospecting forays to Canada I'd pick a revolver in a second over the Mare's Leg for all the reasons you suggested.
I have a Canadian Firearms License & in Canada, short barreled rifles & shotguns including the Mare's Leg are as legal as Grandads break open Cooey shotgun.
Unfortunately in Canada you get 4 years definite in Her Majesty's federal hoosegow for mere possession of a handgun & ammunition that fits it without an extremely hard to get Canadian ATC (carry permit).
The considerations favoring the Mare's Leg are not only technical but legal for the North American Wilderness Professional.
I want a bear effective Canada legal firearm I can carry in a hikers sack or a normal business sized briefcase & the Chiappa Mare's Leg Takedown in .44 Magnum is the only gun that qualifies.
And velocities/energies are significantly higher for a .44 Magnum bullet fired from a 12" closed barrel vs a 6" vented revolver barrel.

DPris
February 19, 2011, 06:17 PM
Before trying to take that ML across the border, I'd confirm in writing that it's OK with the Canadians to do so.

In the US it's clearly defined as a handgun, the only thing that allows purchase by the general public without Class III paperwork.
As such, the Canadians may stick with our definition and refuse import by you of a handgun under US definition, or they may allow an exemption since it's in an otherwise legal form under their laws & licensing.

It's a gray area.
In Canada, they can own & modify rifles & shotguns to shorter lengths legally than we can here.
But- that's STARTING with a rifle, not a handgun, which the ML is.

I'd strongly advise getting a clarification from them before taking it through a border checkpoint.
They may not care, but they also might.
Denis

pricedo
February 19, 2011, 08:05 PM
Before trying to take that ML across the border, I'd confirm in writing that it's OK with the Canadians to do so.

In the US it's clearly defined as a handgun, the only thing that allows purchase by the general public without Class III paperwork.
As such, the Canadians may stick with our definition and refuse import by you of a handgun under US definition, or they may allow an exemption since it's in an otherwise legal form under their laws & licensing.

It's a gray area.
In Canada, they can own & modify rifles & shotguns to shorter lengths legally than we can here.
But- that's STARTING with a rifle, not a handgun, which the ML is.

I'd strongly advise getting a clarification from them before taking it through a border checkpoint.
They may not care, but they also might.
Denis
Bin there, dun that.
I'm a dual citizen - US/CDN.
Right about the own part of your statement but you can't modify an existing rifle or shotgun barrel to less than 18" or else the firearm becomes prohibited & contraband & you're in a big heap of trouble if you get caught with an unlicensed prohibited firearm in Canada.
A licensed manufacturer can manufacture a rifle or shotgun with a barrel length shorter than 18" legally but an individual cannot legally alter or shorten an existing barrel to less than 18". A licensed gunsmith can't even legally do such a modification.....it has to be a manufacturer. Don't ask why, it doesn't have to make sense, it's just an idiosyncrasy of Canadian firearms law.

DPris
February 19, 2011, 09:02 PM
Like I said- good luck with it.
Denis

pricedo
February 19, 2011, 09:32 PM
Like I said- good luck with it.
Denis

Luck has nothing to do with it.
Only a fool leaves important things like his health, safety & freedom to chance & luck.
It's all about planning, preparation, research & checking things out with official sources & getting confirmation back in writing.
I have a copy of the official classification sheet from the RCMP for the Chiappa 1892 Mare's Leg Takedown model classifying it as a non-restricted firearm.
In Canada non-restricted means good to go.

DPris
February 19, 2011, 10:28 PM
Then you've done your homework.
The rest depends on how useful you actually find it to be.
Denis

scaatylobo
February 19, 2011, 11:06 PM
I like to ride in Canada ,BUT do not ever like to be unarmed [ firearm ].

That being the case,in your opinion would a S/S takedown 12 bore be easier to take cross border [ fits in hard case saddle bags ].

Or the Mare's leg as I am going to buy one soon anyway,the takedown is not an issue as I can get a Kel-Tec 16 C in their w/o taking it apart.
Just have to use the folding stock.

pricedo
February 19, 2011, 11:20 PM
I like to ride in Canada ,BUT do not ever like to be unarmed [ firearm ].

That being the case,in your opinion would a S/S takedown 12 bore be easier to take cross border [ fits in hard case saddle bags ].

Or the Mare's leg as I am going to buy one soon anyway,the takedown is not an issue as I can get a Kel-Tec 16 C in their w/o taking it apart.
Just have to use the folding stock.
Probably wouldn't be a problem getting it into Canada.
Remember that Canada is an UK-Australia soon-to-be/wannabe (just waiting for the next batch of Liberals to be elected to government before the big time gun banning starts) and has pretty stringent gun storage & transport regulations & I don't know how that jives with motorcycles & soft leather unlockable saddle bags. The hard case lockable saddle bags should be OK if no part of the gun can be seen.
As far as walking along the street with a gun.......forget it.
Dodge City urban Canada is definitely not.
Urban Canadians, the RCMP & Canadian city cops, especially around the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) are really gunophobic so expect a full armed takedown & proned out scenario if a Canadian cop spots the gun on the bike or if you're "dimed out" by a passer-by.
Kid you not.........I'm not pulling this stuff out of my backside..........it's already happened to a few people.

rogertc1
February 20, 2011, 06:58 AM
I have a Rossi Ranch Hand in 45C. I collect guns and got it because of the TV show I was brought up with in the 60's. Wanted Dead or Alive with Steve McQueen. Even got a holster for it. I only paid right at $500 for it with fees and shipping.
The Ranch hand is the one on bottom.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c248/rogertc1/firearms/PPS43CandRanchhand.jpg

whitecoyote
February 20, 2011, 07:51 AM
Here is my Bounty Hunter in .44 mag.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOzdhnqhxSw
http://i56.tinypic.com/ac3fpg.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/34t4emt.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/2a98zlx.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/ftn69u.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/2h82uqv.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/99lb3l.gif

scaatylobo
February 20, 2011, 01:49 PM
I live on the border in Niagara Falls and am VERY aware of the NO GUN stuff.

I do not like it and my question was concerning a long trip I was thinking about from here to Mi,to cut 4 hours off of the trip.

I already did it the long way around,and decided that I could be comfortable with a gun locked in the hard bags.

I am retired LEO and feel very comfortable being armed 24/7.

I truly try to avoid breaking any law,especially in another country !!!.

AND a hearty "Bounty Hunter" thank you to all who posted their guns and pic's.

I too grew up with the amazing Steve McQueen as a hero.

But prior to him was "The Lone Ranger" !!!,reason I carried silver bullets in my duty .357 [ Winchester Silver tip H.P.'s ].

pricedo
February 20, 2011, 05:39 PM
I live on the border in Niagara Falls and am VERY aware of the NO GUN stuff.

I do not like it and my question was concerning a long trip I was thinking about from here to Mi,to cut 4 hours off of the trip.

I already did it the long way around,and decided that I could be comfortable with a gun locked in the hard bags.

I am retired LEO and feel very comfortable being armed 24/7.

I truly try to avoid breaking any law,especially in another country !!!.

AND a hearty "Bounty Hunter" thank you to all who posted their guns and pic's.

I too grew up with the amazing Steve McQueen as a hero.

But prior to him was "The Lone Ranger" !!!,reason I carried silver bullets in my duty .357 [ Winchester Silver tip H.P.'s ].
It's definitely a good idea to keep on top of inter-jurisdictional gun laws when you cross a lot of borders in a year like I do.
I hear it's no picnic being caught in NYS with a handgun & no NYS Pistol Permit even if you are passing thru & are fully compliant with the federal law (Volkart something or other) allowing taking an unloaded & locked up gun through communist states like NYS & NJ ........Rikker's Island here we come !!!

rogertc1
February 20, 2011, 09:24 PM
I carry 45C Silver tips in my carry gun a Taurus 2"BBL M450Ti....titanium revolver.

bluetopper
February 20, 2011, 09:49 PM
I'll stick with my 500 S&W Mag Handi-Rifle.;)

pricedo
February 20, 2011, 10:43 PM
I'll stick with my 500 S&W Mag Handi-Rifle.;)
That 20" barrel would be a tight fit in a briefcase or hiking pack sack.
At $60+ for a box of 20 .500 S&W factory rounds you won't be doing a lot of practice unless your last name is Gates & you work in a town called Redmond. ;)

firearmnut
February 21, 2011, 03:35 PM
Man now i think i need to go get a Henry.

no wait maybe 2 :evil:

Lester Gillis
February 26, 2011, 10:13 AM
M2, you described firing from the hip and extended out like a pistol, what I am interested in (since I can't find one for sale to handle), is how it would work as a "cheat SBR" like an AR pistol with buffer tube. It's obvious this would have to be unshouldered to cycle the action, but what kind of feel does it have pressed against the shoulder, and is there enough of the "comb" to rest some part of your face and get a 3 point contact (if only a cramped one)? I hold the toe of my rifle stocks high anyway and find the fully collapsed position on a M4 stock comfortable. Just wondering how steady this can be for a more precise shot when needed.

I love the look of these. Screams, "Fill your hands...!", or in one of those cool thigh rigs, it's "I'm your huckleberry" or "Say when!" Not authentic to the real life old west, and even as a purist have to say who cares. Shorter is better and chop/channelling of an already compact gun gives it a great look.
Would make a nice practical and inexpensive SBR build if you live in a state where that is an option. SBRing a pistol you think Draco, or anything 'tactical', nah this would be (in .44 Mag especially) just a general purpose, utility gun, really light and compact. Not take up a lot of space but do a lot of things pretty well. Bush pilot's survival kit gun, for one

BTW do you practice the hollywood one hand cocking move with that giant loop? LOL

M2 Carbine
February 26, 2011, 10:57 AM
and is there enough of the "comb" to rest some part of your face and get a 3 point contact (if only a cramped one)?
The "butt stock" is too short to put to your shoulder. If you tried shooting it like that the hammer will most likely eventually hit you hard in the eye.

The first day I shot it I tried that 3 point contact by resting the side of the stock against my cheek. I was only shooting 38 Special but that hammer that close to my eye was still uncomfortable. The method did give extra support though.

The next morning when I looked in the mirror it looked like someone had worked me over. I had two big bruises covering my cheek, that didn't go away for days.
The stock didn't bother me at all while shooting but must have been slapping the crap out of my face.
Probably some kind of slip on padded sock would work for shooting with this cheek weld.

BTW do you practice the hollywood one hand cocking move with that giant loop? LOL
No. I think I'd knock out my front teeth before I got the hang of it.:)

You can get pretty good with it shooting from the hip. The gun doesn't point naturally for me but consistent COM hits from about 10 yards comes to you pretty quick.
Considering how long it takes to reload I go through a LOT of 38 and 357 ammo with this gun.

TUBBY1
February 26, 2011, 11:52 AM
i too had one but with red dot sticky caps. if i had the moolah i would have a grown up version in 357. i opted for the 92 carbine with large loop for nib 450.00.very pleased with it.maybe someday...

Carl N. Brown
February 26, 2011, 12:13 PM
I hope we don't get into the "green stickum caps" versus "red dot stickie caps" debate, (because the red roll caps were obviously superior). :)

Uppercase "Mare's Leg" is a trademark of a gunsmith who started recently supplying replicas to fans of "Wanted: Dead or Live" "Briscoe County" and "Firefly" the TV shows that popularized these guns. The generic term introduced by "Wanted: Dead or Alive" in 1959 is lowercase mare's leg. Which is why some new makers call their copies "Bounty Hunter" or "Ranch Hand". The toy company for whatever reason called theirs "Mare's Laig" so that may be a trademark too. But we can all call'em mare's leg and :neener: the lawyers.

Let's face it: this is a niche gun mainly for fans of the TV shows. Although there are some folks who buy them, and SBR them on a Form 1 by adding a buttstock (face it, it is the quickest way to replicate a "Trapper Special"!)

M2 Carbine
February 26, 2011, 02:29 PM
The things must be selling as fast as dealers can get them. I bought my Rossi in November. Since then I have not seen another one at a dealer or the gun shows.

I have the 22 Henry on order but the distributors don't have any idea when they will get it.

Dr.Rob
February 27, 2011, 03:22 AM
Can you use one in SASS? ;)

scaatylobo
February 27, 2011, 08:27 AM
As to SASS,I am a member and I see no reason to not be allowed.

But remember all the safety rules and reg's as to barrel control and loaded/unloaded guns.

And of course NO MAGNUMS at SASS shoots.Lead only

BartCen
October 7, 2011, 05:28 PM
This is a tad late, but I thought it appropriate to pass it along to admirerers of the 1892 Chiappa Puma "mares loeg." I wrote to them via their contact form (no phone number, no email address) to get help with two mechanical issues I'm having with my .45 colt Puma.
It doesnt extract reliably, and it allows random cartridges to hang up between the barrel and the top of the ejection port when feeding. It's been fourteen days since my first contact with them, and three since my second attempt...nada, nothing, zip.
Dealing with them isn't like dealing with Ruger S&W, Colt, et al. These people see customer service as an inconvenience to them. I regret buying this gun and have learned an expensive lesson.

If you enjoyed reading about "Chiappa / LSI Puma 92 "Mare's Leg" handguns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!